robmac68

Is A Mohawk Sin?

You start dressing or allowing your child to dress like the world, they're going to act like the world.  Dress like a thug, hippie, or biker, they'll be treated by society as such and begin to act the part without fail.

A relative recently cut their child's hair this way and bought him expensive sneakers and they wonder why this once well-mannered child has become a handful at four already!

You start dressing or allowing your child to dress like the world, they're going to act like the world.  Dress like a thug, hippie, or biker, they'll be treated by society as such and begin to act the part without fail.

A relative recently cut their child's hair this way and bought him expensive sneakers and they wonder why this once well-mannered child has become a handful at four already!

I've always dislike the gaudy look, whether its  on a person, a lawn, or in a house. One of something can look nice, but yet many of them gets tasteless. Seems there's many that can't keep it simple.

I like everything plain, no show off stuff, & I did not use to be that way. I loved spinners hubcaps on cars back in the late 50 & early 60's, along with a few other things. But I out grew it.

And to me this tells women not to dress gaudy.

1Ti 2:9 In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;

And if women are not to, them men should not either.

Yet most of those who call their self Christian instead of being a living sacrifice & not conforming to the world they conform to the world looking very gaudy so people will take notice of them. Wow, those people with 4, 6, 8, or 10 holes in their ears is both gaudy & ridiculous. And those who go even further putting holes into heir nose, eye lids, tongue, & ect have surely crossed the line into be ridiculous & stupid looking.

Ro 12:1 ¶ I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.
Ro 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

Unfortunately the idea that when it comes to matters of hair style, dress and things of such nature, that these are "personal choices" and God doesn't care about such things is even creeping into some IFB churches. Hair styles are becoming more worldly, dress styles are becoming less modest, and these things apply to how some folks attend church and also go about their daily things.

I've literally been surprised and shocked on a few occasions, and had to turn away and go elsewhere, after seeing a Christian woman in a store that I've only ever seen before in their church clothes, being dressed very immodestly in the store.

A youth pastor in the area has a goatee he sometimes colors purple or blue and he has his hair cut short but sometimes uses styling gel or something to make it kind of spike up down the middle. He says he wants to relate to the youth and show them that one can be a Christian and be cool at the same time.

The Bible provides us with standards of conduct and appearance but many don't want to give up their own preferences for the sake of Christ.

In the Bible, piercing the ear is associated with being a bondservant. When a servant is offered freedom, but, for whatever reason, chooses to stay and serve, he is taken to the post of the door of the house, and his ear is punched through with an awl, attaching it to the house, symbolically showing he belongs to that house, by choice, forever. I assume that an earring of some sort was then placed into it, to remain as an everlasting reminder of his bondservant status.

I believe that to pierce one's flesh for decoration, anywhere, one or multiple times, is to show disregard for the temple of the Spirit, to show that we aren't satisified with the body the Lord has given us, in the form He has given it. I must pierce it, and then hang something from it. I must tattoo it and then decorate it. I must change the color of my hair, because I'm not happy with the hair the Lord gave me.

Nope, don't approve of any of it. Mind you, I'm not beating anyone up-it was just mentioned, and the question was asked, how many is TOO many? I say, any is too many. But that's just how I see it.

As it is evident by my profile picture, I have a mohawk. I can also assure you that I'm a Christian, living to the best of my knowledge in a life pleasing to God. That's not to say I didn't initially receive a lot of negative feedback, particularly from church folk. I don't tell many people this, but for the sake of conversations and reasoning, I'll let you in on a secret. I have a mohawk because to me, it's a symbol of warfare. My ancestors wore their hair in this manner to signify they were warrior. It signifies the very real spiritual warfare that I am caught up in, and am struggling in. Ephesians 6:12 depicts a spiritual battle, and my hair reflects that in an outward act of symbolism. I don't have one to "be cool" (I'm from a small town that can be very judgmental, so it kinda defeats the purpose) or to "show an act of rebellion". As far as appearance goes, it can be no more a sin to have a mohawk than to shave your face. Each is an altercation to the natural way your body makes hair, and there's actually a scripture that says not to cut the corners of your beard (Leviticus 19:27). Therefore, in a moral sense, it's no more a sin to have a mohawk than to shave. I understand that the Holy Spirit may convict other people differently, which is why it is always best to pray, seek godly advice from wise people, search the scripture, and think it over long and hard before coming to a  decision. 

As it is evident by my profile picture, I have a mohawk. I can also assure you that I'm a Christian, living to the best of my knowledge in a life pleasing to God. That's not to say I didn't initially receive a lot of negative feedback, particularly from church folk. I don't tell many people this, but for the sake of conversations and reasoning, I'll let you in on a secret. I have a mohawk because to me, it's a symbol of warfare. My ancestors wore their hair in this manner to signify they were warrior. It signifies the very real spiritual warfare that I am caught up in, and am struggling in. Ephesians 6:12 depicts a spiritual battle, and my hair reflects that in an outward act of symbolism. I don't have one to "be cool" (I'm from a small town that can be very judgmental, so it kinda defeats the purpose) or to "show an act of rebellion". As far as appearance goes, it can be no more a sin to have a mohawk than to shave your face. Each is an altercation to the natural way your body makes hair, and there's actually a scripture that says not to cut the corners of your beard (Leviticus 19:27). Therefore, in a moral sense, it's no more a sin to have a mohawk than to shave. I understand that the Holy Spirit may convict other people differently, which is why it is always best to pray, seek godly advice from wise people, search the scripture, and think it over long and hard before coming to a decision.

Thanks for your reasoned explanation.
Be aware that you will likely be opposed by some here, and whilst I still would not allow it for my own kids, I appreciate your position.
My only point to you, and I am sure you already know this, is that in certain situations it will make it substantially harder for your testimony and witness.

Some of the points in this thread are valid - the general association today with rebellion, whilst not true of you, is nonetheless a generalised truth. You will have to work hard to beat that initial impression.

However, the Lord does not want us to be whited sepulchres, and it is easy to paint up the outside without addressing the inside.

It seems to me that your 'inside' is heading the right direction. ;)

Being blind, I would not be offended by your hair style.

But, as pointed out by Dave, it can be a hinderance to your testimony before man. If God is not convicting your heart, then all is well between you and God.

Allow His Spirit to guide you each decision you make. Do not change the style to please man if man says bad things. But if God convicts tour heart and says change, that is the One to heed.

As it is evident by my profile picture, I have a mohawk. I can also assure you that I'm a Christian, living to the best of my knowledge in a life pleasing to God. That's not to say I didn't initially receive a lot of negative feedback, particularly from church folk. I don't tell many people this, but for the sake of conversations and reasoning, I'll let you in on a secret. I have a mohawk because to me, it's a symbol of warfare. My ancestors wore their hair in this manner to signify they were warrior. It signifies the very real spiritual warfare that I am caught up in, and am struggling in. Ephesians 6:12 depicts a spiritual battle, and my hair reflects that in an outward act of symbolism. I don't have one to "be cool" (I'm from a small town that can be very judgmental, so it kinda defeats the purpose) or to "show an act of rebellion". As far as appearance goes, it can be no more a sin to have a mohawk than to shave your face. Each is an altercation to the natural way your body makes hair, and there's actually a scripture that says not to cut the corners of your beard (Leviticus 19:27). Therefore, in a moral sense, it's no more a sin to have a mohawk than to shave. I understand that the Holy Spirit may convict other people differently, which is why it is always best to pray, seek godly advice from wise people, search the scripture, and think it over long and hard before coming to a  decision. 

Matt 6 and Matt 23 are very clear about not doing certain things (which could spiritually include haircuts) to represent your spirituality.

Mt 6:1 ¶ Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven.
 2 Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.
 3 But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth:
 4 That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly.
 5 ¶ And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.
 6 But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.
 7 But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.
 8 Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him.

Mt 23:1 ¶ Then spake Jesus to the multitude, and to his disciples,
 2 Saying, The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat:
 3 All therefore whatsoever they bid you OBserve, that OBserve and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not.
 4 For they bind heavy burdens and grievous to be borne, and lay them on men's shoulders; but they themselves will not move them with one of their fingers.
 5 But all their works they do for to be seen of men: they make broad their phylacteries, and enlarge the borders of their garments,
 6 And love the uppermost rooms at feasts, and the chief seats in the synagogues,
 7 And greetings in the markets, and to be called of men, Rabbi, Rabbi.

If you do your hair to be seen of men as being a spiritual warfare warrior as you claim, "I have a mohawk because to me, it's a symbol of warfare. . .It signifies the very real spiritual warfare that I am caught up in, and am struggling in. Ephesians 6:12 depicts a spiritual battle, and my hair reflects that in an outward act of symbolism" as the pharisees who wore outward symbols of their spirituality "phylacteries, and enlarge the borders of their garments," so you are doing the same so you have your reward already.

Edited by AVBibleBeliever

My 5 year old son wanted a mohawk. My wife and I are not lovers of the hairstyle. We have 2 girls and 2 boys. While they are living at home, we are rearing the girls to have long hair and the boys short hair. The mohawk is definately short. We wanted to say no, but didn't. Why didn't we? Our children are very good at hearing the word "no" and OBeying with very little whining. The prOBlem is, we say "no" alot. Just going to Wal-mart, our children see alot of the "world" and we have to frequently say "no" and usually give an explaination. So when it came to the mohawk, we didn't just blurt out a "no" because I wanted a Biblical explanation as to why I was saying no. The only thing I could come up with was separation from the world. Just one prOBlem, my world and my children's world doesn't have any mohawks. Two years ago, my neice's hubby got a mohawk and kept it for a couple months. He lives 4 hours away and is supposedly a Christian so I didn't feel this fell under worldly separation. That is the only place I can think of that my son has even seen a mohawk. He is not trying to fit into a group. He is homeschooled and there aren't any mohawks at church.

So my 5 yo has a mohawk. PrOBlem. My parents saw this and immediately told him they didn't like his hair; they were quite blunt. The other night, my dad said it was sad my son had a mohawk since he didn't have any choice in the matter. My dad thinks I wanted my son to have this mohawk and that it is sad I am forcing such a "worldly" haircut on him??? This is the same man that pokes fun at me because we live so conservatively, in his eyes we might as well be Amish. So now both my parents think I am pushing worldliness on my son. Now I am wondering if I should cut my sons hair because it might be a stumbling block for my parents. Isn't "falsely accusing" me of pushing worldliness on my son, when I am not, a sin? Do I need to cut my son's hair because I am causing my parents to sin? If I tell him he is going to have to get rid of the mohawk, I want my Bible in hand to explain it to him. Do I need to do this and how do I do this? Any thoughts??

If you will google this you will find a lot of information on the wikipedia links about the mohawk hairstyle some dating back to 600 bc . there is a lot of evil here related to this style of haircut which relates to war, Satan worship, death, Hitler, and much more. you should be able to use this information to show your son in God's Word the truths of these evils. praying and God blees   

If you do your hair to be seen of men as being a spiritual warfare warrior as you claim, "I have a mohawk because to me, it's a symbol of warfare. . .It signifies the very real spiritual warfare that I am caught up in, and am struggling in. Ephesians 6:12 depicts a spiritual battle, and my hair reflects that in an outward act of symbolism" as the pharisees who wore outward symbols of their spirituality "phylacteries, and enlarge the borders of their garments," so you are doing the same so you have your reward already.

AV, you didn't pay attention to what he said...

I don't tell many people this, but for the sake of conversations and reasoning, I'll let you in on a secret. I have a mohawk because to me, it's a symbol of warfare. My ancestors wore their hair in this manner to signify they were warrior. It signifies the very real spiritual warfare that I am caught up in, and am struggling in. 

He's not out proclaiming this to people...to be seen of men.

Spiritual warfare is just that, spiritual, and no hair cut or style is reflective of that.

A Mohawk hair style reflects back to pagan warriors who served false gods and waged war in accord with their false religious beliefs. In more modern times, the Mohawk is reflective of the punk movement, some aspects of rock and roll, as well as some aspects of outlaw gangs.

There is more than enough connection between Mohawk hair style and evil for a Christian to separate from such.

I've known many Christians who have fallen into the trap of looking like the world so that they can "be more approachable" in the eyes of non-believers. I've seen many Christians justify tattoos, multiple piercings, multi-colored hair, immodest clothing, wild hairstyles, etc. in the name of "looking like everyone else". They justify it by saying things like, "I've had lots of non-christians who have tattoos approach me and ask about Jesus, because I have tattoos like they do." Non-christians, hold us to a higher standard. The world is waiting to see a Christian fall. When we can't be distinguished from non-believers, they call us hypocrites. They say, "typical Christian, picking and choosing. They'll condemn abortion and gay marriage, but dress like that" or "pffffft they beat people over the head with Bible verses about going to church, but they ignore the verses about not getting tattoos". 

The world does not look at a Christian covered in tattoos of pinup girls with spikes sticking out of their bottom lip and a mohawk and take their witness seriously. Instead, the world looks at people like that and they say, "yeah, now that's a Christian I could hang with!". And why is that? Is it because their outward appearance conveys the impression they're more approachable? No. It's because the Gospel is offensive to the non-believer and they assume if you dress/look/speak/act like they do, then clearly you're not going to be one of those "Bible thumpers" who will make them feel convicted about their sinful state. 

This is all the more crucial if you're involved in church ministry and/or leadership. Song leaders, youth pastors, Sunday school teachers, bus ministry workers, deacons and their wives/children, etc. should be even more strict in their behavior and dress. 

AV, you didn't pay attention to what he said...

He's not out proclaiming this to people...to be seen of men.

Just like the Pharisee's of Jesus day did not tell the people the reason for the large borders on their garments and the large booklets tied around their heads were for them looking more spiritual.  But Christ revealed it was so.

This man's mohawk was for spiritual reasons by his own admission.

To the OP:

Many things in life will not be chapter and verse, but you will have to use principles to determine how your family will operate.  For example, are electronic games sinful?  I know some families who will not let their children use electronics for games and others who will.  Each has a principle that they use for their family.

I think the bigger question is "Am I capitulating because I want to keep my kids happy since I always say no, or am I allowing this because I truly find it childish and harmless and it will be a fun time for my son and me.?"

You indicated both are true for you.  Then your parents call you out on it, seemingly ironically.

You need to decide what works for your family and go with that.  You do need to consider the testimony value, as well as the understanding your child has about your family rules and the faith from which they stem.  (At this age your child may not even be saved and should just OBey because it is your family's rules rather than in OBedience to the Bible principles about worldliness.

For our home, and our community, the mohawk style is definitely part of the "I need to stand out" "I'm different than you" "I don't conform" culture, so the Mohawk would not be a hairstyle we would be sporting or supporting.  You need to consider where you live and how things are perceived.

As to the brother with the mohawk, welcome.  I'm glad that you are doing what you feel is a Biblical reminder of your inner man.  We have young people in our community who tattoo themselves with Scripture references and phrases for the same purpose as your hair.  While I don't feel either is the best approach in my area of the country, I at least can say these people are trying to be spiritually alert day to day which is a great start.