• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Is A Mohawk Sin?

• Members

I don't think any hairstyle is a "sin." Kids like to do unique things at times, and he will grow out of it. It looks ridiculous, in my opinion, but if they want a mohawk, it doesn't bother me. Kids like to experiment. I tried some crazy things when I was a kid. I had a "Skater's cut" which I hated, then I grew it out into a pony tail, which I liked at the time, then I got a buzz cut. I then bleached it blonde. It is all a phase. The great thing about being a kid is that they can do things and no one thinks twice about it. Hair is temporary. You can do things to it and it will grow out and can be changed. Unlike tattoos that are permanent. So for a kid, my rule is that if it isn't permanent, and if it causes no harm or potential harm, why not let them do it? They are learning and experimenting..

My 4 year old cut her long, beautiful hair because she wanted it shorter. I did not like that. But we took her to a hair stylist, who made it look good, and told her that if she wants to do something to her hair, let us know and we will take her to the hairstylist. She then grew bangs. Now she is growing all of her hair out long again. A friend of mine put dreadlocks in her 4 year old's hair because he asked for it. And they turned out adorable. He is now 6 and has chopped them off and has a short hair cut.

I wouldn't worry too much about it.

• Members

I don't think any hairstyle is a "sin." Kids like to do unique things at times, and he will grow out of it. It looks ridiculous, in my opinion, but if they want a mohawk, it doesn't bother me. Kids like to experiment. I tried some crazy things when I was a kid. I had a "Skater's cut" which I hated, then I grew it out into a pony tail, which I liked at the time, then I got a buzz cut. I then bleached it blonde. It is all a phase. The great thing about being a kid is that they can do things and no one thinks twice about it. Hair is temporary. You can do things to it and it will grow out and can be changed. Unlike tattoos that are permanent. So for a kid, my rule is that if it isn't permanent, and if it causes no harm or potential harm, why not let them do it? They are learning and experimenting..

My 4 year old cut her long, beautiful hair because she wanted it shorter. I did not like that. But we took her to a hair stylist, who made it look good, and told her that if she wants to do something to her hair, let us know and we will take her to the hairstylist. She then grew bangs. Now she is growing all of her hair out long again. A friend of mine put dreadlocks in her 4 year old's hair because he asked for it. And they turned out adorable. He is now 6 and has chopped them off and has a short hair cut.

Wow!

• Members

It's no surprise you take this position which is the typical liberal, watered down and worldy approach.

Children don't have to go through "phases" and Scripture teaches we are to raise and train our children rightly from the beginning. Properly raised children will not go through extreme "phases".

Children of Christian parents should stand out as such, they should not mimic the world, rather they should be separate from the world.

The idea it's okay to allow a child to act like the world because one or both of the parents did when they were children is not biblical at all.

Christians are to live, speak, act and raise their children in accord with Scripture. Children of Christians are to be raised in accord with Scripture, which means separation from the world, not copying the world.

Children raised in the ways of the world, rather than in the ways of Christ, most often continue in their worldly ways and we see examples of that all around us.

Any parent wanting the best for their child should be more than worried, they should be very concerned any time they see their child going the way of the world. It's the parents duty to guide, train and instruct their children so they don't go the way of the world. It's a parents duty to continually point their children to Christ and teaching them to live in accord with the Word.

• Members

It's no surprise you take this position which is the typical liberal, watered down and worldy approach.

Children don't have to go through "phases" and Scripture teaches we are to raise and train our children rightly from the beginning. Properly raised children will not go through extreme "phases".

Children of Christian parents should stand out as such, they should not mimic the world, rather they should be separate from the world.

The idea it's okay to allow a child to act like the world because one or both of the parents did when they were children is not biblical at all.

Christians are to live, speak, act and raise their children in accord with Scripture. Children of Christians are to be raised in accord with Scripture, which means separation from the world, not copying the world.

Children raised in the ways of the world, rather than in the ways of Christ, most often continue in their worldly ways and we see examples of that all around us.

Any parent wanting the best for their child should be more than worried, they should be very concerned any time they see their child going the way of the world. It's the parents duty to guide, train and instruct their children so they don't go the way of the world. It's a parents duty to continually point their children to Christ and teaching them to live in accord with the Word.

I understand what you are saying, and agree to a large extent. However, I do not see a particular hairstyle as either Biblical or unbiblical. Hair is something that can grow out, or be cut. It is not permanent. Hairstyles go in and out of style and change over time. What is in style for a child today will not be in style 5 years from now. What I work on with my children is not their outward appearance, but their heart. I work with them to love God with all of their heart, soul and mind and to love their neighbor as their self. I teach them to have love, joy, peace patience, etc.

Harping on what type of hairstyle one can and cannot have seems to me to be making rules that are simply not there. It seems to me that it adds to Scripture that which is not there, as I read it.

• Members

What you are speaks so loudly that the world can't hear what you say, they're looking at your walk, not listening to your talk, they're judging from your outward appearance.

So the outward appearance of the child of God means everything, it either shows Christ living in you, or your rebellion against Christ.

A Mohawk hair cut shows nothing but rebellion against Christ

1Co 11:14 Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?

1Co 11:15 But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering.

These verse proves that the outward appearance for the child of God means everything.

Edited by Jerry80871852

• Members

I understand what you are saying, and agree to a large extent. However, I do not see a particular hairstyle as either Biblical or unbiblical. Hair is something that can grow out, or be cut. It is not permanent. Hairstyles go in and out of style and change over time. What is in style for a child today will not be in style 5 years from now. What I work on with my children is not their outward appearance, but their heart. I work with them to love God with all of their heart, soul and mind and to love their neighbor as their self. I teach them to have love, joy, peace patience, etc.

Harping on what type of hairstyle one can and cannot have seems to me to be making rules that are simply not there. It seems to me that it adds to Scripture that which is not there, as I read it.

The point is, Scripture gives us general guidelines with regards to our hair; short for men, long for women. We can look at the culture or society around us and clearly see what hairstyles are specifically of the world, what ones represent rebellion, etc. Christians should wear their hair in accord with Scripture while avoiding worldliness.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

Is a Mohawk hair cut right or wrong? It depends on the heart of the child.
If it causes pride in the child or parents it would be sin for the one with the
pride. If all the boys in his class have a Mohawk, he is just trying to fit in.
If he is the only one, then he may be showing off and that would be sin.

If a person thinks anything is sin and does it anyway, to him it is sin.

Does your son ask for special clothing?

A mohawk on a 5 year old son does reflect on the parents. Some parents use
their children to show off like a new car.

• Members

Is a Mohawk hair cut right or wrong? It depends on the heart of the child.
If it causes pride in the child or parents it would be sin for the one with the
pride. If all the boys in his class have a Mohawk, he is just trying to fit in.
If he is the only one, then he may be showing off and that would be sin.

If a person thinks anything is sin and does it anyway, to him it is sin.

Does your son ask for special clothing?

A mohawk on a 5 year old son does reflect on the parents. Some parents use
their children to show off like a new car.

Your point about some parents using their children to express themselves is something I see all the time. I see mothers having their little girls given multiple ear piercings, doing their hair as they wish they could, painting them with makeup early on and dressing them in rebellious and even immodest clothing from a young age.

I even see some dads who get their young sons ears pierced, get their hair cut in strange ways, dress them in a rebellious manner, teach them wrong attitudes and patters of speech.

At first I only noticed such among the unsaved but it seems this has greatly infiltrated the church.

Any time our flesh determines our actions, either for ourselves or our children, we are walking are not walking in the Spirit. Our parenting is to be done in accord with Scripture. Parents need to continually seek wisdom from the Lord and His guidance in all matters of parenting and personal conduct.

Are we pointing our children to Christ and a life lived in obedience to Him or are we training them up in the ways of the world, following the father of lies?

• Members

Through History the Mohawk has been for one purpose, that is, to strike fear in the heart of the enemy. It has been used mostly by the Mohawk indians (they crushed anyone who dared to threaten their fur trade), they did this to taunt their enemy and dare them to scalp them. It has also been used often by the Scythians, The Ukrainian Cossacks, and the 101st Airborne Division in WWII. They all wore it for the same thing, to strike fear in the hearts of their enemies. My suggestion is lose the mohawk, but let him pick out another hairstyle. He probably just wants to change his hair and thinks the mohawk is neat.

Edited by musician4god1611

• Members

A Christian child should not have a mohawk but, if the son wants it and has a great heart and living for God , I don't see why not, there are other issues in a persons life and decisions that people need to worry about children.  I think a 5 year old don't understand why a mohawk is bad. 

• Members

As a parent, we understand the implications of a certain haircut and as stated a 5 year old doesn't.  That is why we are the parents and have the final say so- whether our young child understands the reasoning or not. 

I kind of compare it to how God gives us "rules" that we sometimes don't understand as babes in Christ but we follow them anyway because He does know best- and as we mature in His Word, His "rules" make sense.

Our culture has expectations as to what a "real Christian" should look like. I am not saying that is right or wrong, just fact.  If two people were walking down the street- one punked out, and the other clean cut- and I said that one was a Christian, most people (saved and unsaved) would choose the clean cut one because of his look.  However, in reality the punked out one could be a newly saved Christian who is still being convicted on wordliness and the clean cut one could be a lost prep. It is all appearence. But it still shows that most people have an idea as to what a Christian looks like.  ( I actually took a poll from the ladies in jail- unanimously the clean-cut won).

Our witness (look, attitude, daily walk) should reflect our God and our Saviour and if my son having a mohawk will hurt my testimony (right or wrong), then he will not have a mohawk. As a parent, I have the final say-so. Not my young child.

KatnHat

• Members

As a parent, we understand the implications of a certain haircut and as stated a 5 year old doesn't.  That is why we are the parents and have the final say so- whether our young child understands the reasoning or not. 

I kind of compare it to how God gives us "rules" that we sometimes don't understand as babes in Christ but we follow them anyway because He does know best- and as we mature in His Word, His "rules" make sense.

Our culture has expectations as to what a "real Christian" should look like. I am not saying that is right or wrong, just fact.  If two people were walking down the street- one punked out, and the other clean cut- and I said that one was a Christian, most people (saved and unsaved) would choose the clean cut one because of his look.  However, in reality the punked out one could be a newly saved Christian who is still being convicted on wordliness and the clean cut one could be a lost prep. It is all appearence. But it still shows that most people have an idea as to what a Christian looks like.  ( I actually took a poll from the ladies in jail- unanimously the clean-cut won).

Our witness (look, attitude, daily walk) should reflect our God and our Saviour and if my son having a mohawk will hurt my testimony (right or wrong), then he will not have a mohawk. As a parent, I have the final say-so. Not my young child.

KatnHat

And of course if a persons son has a Mohawk hair cut it reflects upon them.

I have a cousin that attends the liberal SBC. Throughout high school his oldest son always had long stringy hair. It always looked as if needed washing & a good brushing.  I always thought it reflected bad on his parents. So many parents today will not reel in their children allowing them to do just as they please.

Today many parents are their children's best friend, not their parents.

• Members

Just wanted to throw something out here:

Growing up between two vastly different cultures ( Amish and English - loooong twisted story lol) I didn't understand a lot of the things about how my plain side lived and the other side of the family lived another. It was very confusing at such a young age. I don't remember much about what I asked or was confused about but what I do remember is my adopted parents trying their best to explain. Plus I got a chance at that early stage of life to understand what conviction and discipline was.

Kids are better off with an honest "no" then a "yes" out of complacency,trust me.

Edited by Retronatrix

• Members

Just wanted to throw something out here:

Growing up between two vastly different cultures ( Amish and English - loooong twisted story lol) I didn't understand a lot of the things about how my plain side lived and the other side of the family lived another. It was very confusing at such a young age. I don't remember much about what I asked or was confused about but what I do remember is my adopted parents trying their best to explain. Plus I got a chance at that early stage of life to understand what conviction and discipline was.

Kids are better off with an honest "no" then a "yes" out of complacency,trust me.

Yes, honest parents for sure.

I was not exactly adopted, but had my rounds, & at just before 5 years of age found myself in a good home.

Since those days starting back in the 40's, & my experiences, I've told parents who adopt above all be truthful & hones from the beginning with your children, many of them have treated me as if I had lost my mind. Some seem to think lying to them is best.

• Members

My 5 year old son wanted a mohawk. My wife and I are not lovers of the hairstyle. We have 2 girls and 2 boys. While they are living at home, we are rearing the girls to have long hair and the boys short hair. The mohawk is definately short. We wanted to say no, but didn't. Why didn't we? Our children are very good at hearing the word "no" and obeying with very little whining. The problem is, we say "no" alot. Just going to Wal-mart, our children see alot of the "world" and we have to frequently say "no" and usually give an explaination. So when it came to the mohawk, we didn't just blurt out a "no" because I wanted a Biblical explanation as to why I was saying no. The only thing I could come up with was separation from the world. Just one problem, my world and my children's world doesn't have any mohawks. Two years ago, my neice's hubby got a mohawk and kept it for a couple months. He lives 4 hours away and is supposedly a Christian so I didn't feel this fell under worldly separation. That is the only place I can think of that my son has even seen a mohawk. He is not trying to fit into a group. He is homeschooled and there aren't any mohawks at church.

So my 5 yo has a mohawk. Problem. My parents saw this and immediately told him they didn't like his hair; they were quite blunt. The other night, my dad said it was sad my son had a mohawk since he didn't have any choice in the matter. My dad thinks I wanted my son to have this mohawk and that it is sad I am forcing such a "worldly" haircut on him??? This is the same man that pokes fun at me because we live so conservatively, in his eyes we might as well be Amish. So now both my parents think I am pushing worldliness on my son. Now I am wondering if I should cut my sons hair because it might be a stumbling block for my parents. Isn't "falsely accusing" me of pushing worldliness on my son, when I am not, a sin? Do I need to cut my son's hair because I am causing my parents to sin? If I tell him he is going to have to get rid of the mohawk, I want my Bible in hand to explain it to him. Do I need to do this and how do I do this? Any thoughts??

I think it depends.

First of all, let's remember that hairstyles are cultural and, thus, subjective. Remember that, in the 19th century, most men had long hair that would have been considered "sinful" by many Christians just fifty years later and, fifty years after that, would have been considered short by most Christians.

While it's true that some hairstyles are associated with rebellion, I seriously doubt your five year old wants a mohawk to protest against societal norms.

From what you've described, I don't see how you would be causing your parents to sin, but I would explain to your child, in age appropriate language, that how we present ourselves on the outside presents a message to the world about us. That's why we dress up when we go to church, because we have reverence for God, or why we dress for court or weddings, because we have respect for the sanctity of those institutions, or why we dress casually to go to a ball game, because that's about fun and recreation.

Personally, when I see a mohawk, my first thought isn't about punks or rebellion, but "Airborne!"