• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Homeschooling an outgoing child.

• Members

I was homeschooled for the majority of my life and have no regrets. I am not a recluse or a loner by no means but am not a very outgoing person. My children on the other hand take after my wife who is very sociable. Am I doing my children an injustice by homeschooling? There is no way I could put them in the public school system, but at the same time private schools around the house are way out of my budget.

• Members

Can you join a homeschool group and get together with those kids? And then just be active in church as well...and maybe arrange "playdates" with other good families. Put them in a sports team maybe too...good way to be a witness in your community and give them some old fashioned sports practice.

• Members

I am public school child, and I never been outgoing either. Both my mother and I are not very sociable people and both of us went to public school (except my mother can hear, but she had crossed eyes so people teased her about that). I don't believe in the myth that school make children more sociable. In fact, school can make them less sociable if they have been teased and laughed at. It is more of a personality thing than anything else. Otherwise, my mother would have been comfortable talking to people, but she never had. She pretty much kept to herself. It's good that your kids are very sociable, so an afterschool activity (like sports) would help them alot. Most school kids are not really allowed to talk and socialized until lunch and recess anyway.

Inviting a neighbor friend to play helps alot. I was more sociable with my neighbors than I was in my school.

• Members
I was homeschooled for the majority of my life and have no regrets. I am not a recluse or a loner by no means but am not a very outgoing person. My children on the other hand take after my wife who is very sociable. Am I doing my children an injustice by homeschooling? There is no way I could put them in the public school system' date=' but at the same time private schools around the house are way out of my budget.[/quote']

I don't think so. Out of our five children, four of them are very outgoing and I believe homeschooling has been great for them.

• Administrators

Do get involved with other things, if you can. Go to your public library and see if there are any programs for kids there. Have get togethers with kids from your church. Take your child out witnessing with you. As someone suggested, check into home school support groups in your area. Many times they have really neat things going on.

But, no, I don't believe you are wrong in homeschooling outgoing kids!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I know that homeschooling was not great for my cousin. When he was home schooled he would not talk to anyone. At family gatherings we would try to talk to him and he would not say much of anything. Know that he is in school (it is a private Christian school) he is much better. He will talk and is a really likable guy.

I was homeschooled for the majority of my life and have no regrets. I am not a recluse or a loner by no means but am not a very outgoing person. My children on the other hand take after my wife who is very sociable. Am I doing my children an injustice by homeschooling? There is no way I could put them in the public school system' date=' but at the same time private schools around the house are way out of my budget.[/quote']

No, you are giving them a chance to be individuals without the pressure to conform that society of all types brings. If they grow up as individuals, they have a high probability of being leaders rather than outcasts. I was homeschooled all my life and had very limited social interactions until I graduated and got a job, but I don't think it did me any harm.

• Members
I know that homeschooling was not great for my cousin. When he was home schooled he would not talk to anyone. At family gatherings we would try to talk to him and he would not say much of anything. Know that he is in school (it is a private Christian school) he is much better. He will talk and is a really likable guy.

Sometimes people outgrow their shyness. my public schooled cousin did. But she was shy all her life. And now out of her shells. .... for now.

There is a chance that your cousin could go back to his old ways, especially once he is off on his own. Or he could be just like many kids out there.. once they hit certain age, they are outgoing as ever. i have seen many shy people who became more outgoing when they got to high school or college.

I still think it is a personality thing. And a phase thing too if people outgrown their shyness.

• Members

Sometimes people outgrow their shyness. my public schooled cousin did. But she was shy all her life. And now out of her shells. .... for now.

There is a chance that your cousin could go back to his old ways, especially once he is off on his own. Or he could be just like many kids out there.. once they hit certain age, they are outgoing as ever. i have seen many shy people who became more outgoing when they got to high school or college.

I still think it is a personality thing. And a phrase thing too if people outgrown their shyness.

:goodpost:

I know I saw some rather shy kids come out of it during high school and even I was a little less shy around those I was familiar with, but still very shy around unfamiliar people.

It really wasn't until I went to university that this aspect really began to peel away.