Online Baptist Community

Christian Schools - How Much?

swathdiver

• Moderators

Okay, this sounds great! Where is it and what is the job situation in the area? :)

That's humorous -- center of US, $10-12/hr is good pay, $13 is exceptional, $14 is practically unheard of. Rent runs $300-500/ mo, houses sell for an average of $50,000, there is a house in town that won't sell because ain't NOBODY here going to pay $135,000 for a house.

Our county's unemployment rose to 3.5% in 2010.

• Independent Fundamental Baptist

Well, it looks as if we can blame God that our kids are not in a Christian school! He is the One that provides, and our lack of trust in Him and faith in His provision is our excuse for not doing so.

I worked in a factory, had house payments, car payments, insurances, etc, but I sacrificed having a boat, and snowmobile (I live in Michigan) and campers, etc, not even spending a lot on hobbies like hunting, fishing, electrical gadgets, etc. I set some priorities and God provided. My children did not go without anything necessary, even after I lost my job. It is hard for everyone, but I find that we seem to have the money for multiple vacations, and amusements, and other things we want, but it seems we do not have the money for Christian education. I do not go as far to say it is a sin for us to send our children to public schools, but it is foolish to allow them to be indoctrinated into the worldly society any more than they will be from merely living in the world! The entire school system , even the "good schools" are based on humanistic philosophy, and evolutionary beliefs.

The Lord is faithful. We use these same excuses (lack of money) to rob the church because we "can't afford to give". The Lord will bless according to the attitude we have toward money--the Bible is full of scriptures bearing this out.

Be nice if enough Baptist would be like the Mennonites that’s around here. They’ve got their own school, teach them to the 7th grade, without the worldly education. They lose very few children to the world.

With public schools in New York giving out the abortion pill to young girls, taking them to the abortion clinics, never telling their parents, & no telling what else, that is a very good reason of itself for a Christian to keep their children out of public schools. And we have not even talked about the number of children Christians are losing to the world because they’re sent to public schools that teach them contradictory to Bible principles, even teaching them there is no God along with evolution.

We have gotten into a comfort zone of public schools teaching our children & do not want to get out of it.

Yet, what is the soul of our children worth?

Oh, I might add, they take care of their people, the elderly, the widows, & such. I suppose most of us Baptist are to divided to do this. Plus, none of them have large incomes, for they do not have the education to get the high paying jobs.

Yes, when it comes to this aspect of Christianity Mennonites, Amish and a few others have it right. They rightly tend to the education, training and upbringing of their children, losing very few to the world. They care for their own, loving the brethren, bearing one anothers burdens, caring for one another, helping and holding up those in need from the youngest to the oldest.

We Baptists, along with most other Christians, tend to toss our children to the world, push the elderly into nursing homes, leave widows to barely get by.

For several years now the Sword of the Lord has called Baptists to get their children out of the devil run worldly schools yet it seems only a few have done so. Even the SBC has attempted to save the children but most parents are unwilling to do what it takes.

It's just too easy to send the children to the worlds schools. It makes one look too different to homeschool or form a Christian school; so much more acceptable to cast the children into the care of the lost.

Surveys indicate in most cases 90% or more of "church children" leave the church by the time they graduate high school or leave home. It's little wonder since they are trained and educated in and by the world, most of their parents are on the go working, spending litle actual time in raising their children. Most of their friends come from the worldly school, not church.

John,

Unfortunately, that statistic isn't much better for Christian School children. Baptists have gone to entertaining families, rather than indoctrinating them. We are more concerned with "Having Fun" in SS, than using the entire 45 minutes to teach the children the Bible. The influence of young people, even in Christian Schools, is causing even the children being raised properly to sway. This is causing many families to home school their children, even if they can afford a Christian school.

John,

Unfortunately, that statistic isn't much better for Christian School children. Baptists have gone to entertaining families, rather than indoctrinating them. We are more concerned with "Having Fun" in SS, than using the entire 45 minutes to teach the children the Bible. The influence of young people, even in Christian Schools, is causing even the children being raised properly to sway. This is causing many families to home school their children, even if they can afford a Christian school.

You are absolutely correct! One has to be as careful about choosing a Christian school as they do about choosing a church. Many Christian schools are little more than Christian in name only. Many of them today use the same textbooks as the public schools! One must be sure to find a truly good Christian church or to homeschool in a Christian manner.

I'm on our churches Christian education board, which deals with Sunday school among other matters, and one of the things that comes up from time to time is the fact our Sunday school just isn't as "fun" as the largest church near to us. We constantly have to keep check to make sure we don't slip into trying to do something for the sake of fun or entertainment. With every proposal we first ask how the idea will help lead children to Christ or build them up in Christ. Let the church down the street be known as the fun and entertaining church, we want to be known as the church which stands on the Word of God and puts the Word first in all aspects of our church.

Yet, what is the soul of our children worth?

Their souls are priceless, yet a parent should be willing to sacrifice everything, even their lives, to see them won for the Lord and properly raised.

Do you guys have stats on the Amish and Mennonites? I thought I've heard that the suicide rate of the Amish is fairly high, as well as losing the children to the world.....

Of course they do believe in a works-based salvation so I'm not sure how good of a likeness it is that they do not "lose" people out of their religion..... I mean....Mormons stay in their religion too, for that matter....

Obviously I agree, I'm against public schooling, but I just didn't think the Amish/Mennonite topic was fully relevant here...

Do you guys have stats on the Amish and Mennonites? I thought I've heard that the suicide rate of the Amish is fairly high, as well as losing the children to the world.....

Of course they do believe in a works-based salvation so I'm not sure how good of a likeness it is that they do not "lose" people out of their religion..... I mean....Mormons stay in their religion too, for that matter....

Obviously I agree, I'm against public schooling, but I just didn't think the Amish/Mennonite topic was fully relevant here...

The Amish/Mennonite are good to look at with regards to some matters, but certainly not all. As are Mormons. While the Amish/Mennonites aren't much for making disciples, the Mormons prepare their children for the day when they reach age and are expected to give two years of their lives to specific service, including spreading the Mormon message. No doubt their message is false, but it's a shame this cult so much better prepares their children to stand firm in their religion and to give themselves in service to their religion and to support and remain in their religion for life than do most Christians.

Within the past month or so I read something about the Amish which was attempting to set the record straight. It seems there are reality shows which follow some Amish youth leaving Amish life for the world. In any event, according to the article, over 90% of Amish youth remain Amish. That's almost the exact opposite of the overall Christian stats. They also pointed out the tremendous growth in Amish with the vast majority of the growth being because they tend to have higher birth rates than other Christians and because over 90% remain Amish.

There are several different groups of Amish, as there are of Mennonites, and they each have their own particular beliefs, rules and codes. Kind of like Baptists!

I could not say that is true about the Mennonites around here. Once at a funeral service for an elderly couple that was murdered, a SBC pastor spoke as did a Mennonite.

The SBC pastor gave a good worldly talk telling how good & wonderful Christians these 2 people were & how sad it was for them to die in such a manner, never quoted nor read a Bible verse, the Mennonite preached Jesus crucified, saved by grace though faith.

I knew both of these quite well, the man was a confessed infidel several people had spoken to him, or tired to, about Jesus, he was quick to say, if that's all you want to talk to me about, get out of my face, his wife was saved at an early age yet after marrying him her church attendance ended.

I can't speak about Mennonites else where, but those around here keep way more than 90% of their children, they have their own school, as for the Mennonite around here, they have never lost one to suicide since they came here in the 60's. They also dress modest, which few other church people do in this area.

Have seen the intro and commercials of that show, Breaking Amish or something like that. The young adults are not saved, have rejected the Gospel and eagerly seek to indulge in the pleasures of the flesh and this world. They may have been born into an Amish household but they have rejected the Gospel for the lusts of the flesh.

I could not say that is true about the Mennonites around here. Once at a funeral service for an elderly couple that was murdered, a SBC pastor spoke as did a Mennonite.

The SBC pastor gave a good worldly talk telling how good & wonderful Christians these 2 people were & how sad it was for them to die in such a manner, never quoted nor read a Bible verse, the Mennonite preached Jesus crucified, saved by grace though faith.

I knew both of these quite well, the man was a confessed infidel several people had spoken to him, or tired to, about Jesus, he was quick to say, if that's all you want to talk to me about, get out of my face, his wife was saved at an early age yet after marrying him her church attendance ended.

I can't speak about Mennonites else where, but those around here keep way more than 90% of their children, they have their own school, as for the Mennonite around here, they have never lost one to suicide since they came here in the 60's. They also dress modest, which few other church people do in this area.

There are many different Amish and Mennonite communities and they each are someone different one from another. There are some who hold to the works based salvation but, as in your case, there are some who hold to saved by grace through faith. One really can't tell what a particular group holds to without talking with them because each community is independent, has their own leadership, their own set of rules and teachings.

• Lady Administrators

See Corinthians 2:14 again KOB.

Nope, not gonna do it. You can censor me or kick me out if you like but as for me and my house we will serve the Lord and defend the Scriptures.
Yeah, I figured that would be your attitude. Christlike of you to claim defense of scripture when thumbing your nose at a moderator's rebuke. Not.

• Advanced Member

See Corinthians 2:14 again KOB.

Nope, not gonna do it. You can censor me or kick me out if you like but as for me and my house we will serve the Lord and defend the Scriptures.

Huh?? I Cor. 2:14:

"14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned."

What in the world does that have to do with how our children are educated? You certainly puzzle me. Again, the Bible says absolutely nothing on how we should educate our children. I certainly believe there are strong Biblical principals that teach us that as parents, it is our duty to make sure our children are prepared for this life. Part of that, I believe, is making sure they receive an education on history, math, science, finance, economics, and everything else they need to know to be a contributing, functioning member of society. In our society that can be provided in public schools. There are also private Christian schools, but again, they are cost prohibitive for many people. If I sent both of my girls to our private Christian school, that would be just under $2,000.00 per month.

The Bible also teaches us to be good stewards of our money and finances, and teaches us to be good stewards of our money. Is it good stewardship to pay $2,000.00 for two children when that is over half of my monthly income? If I were to pay that, plus housing, plus food, I'd be going into serious debt.

The Bible also teaches us to provide a good religious education to our children. In my house, that is done each evening with a devotional and prayer time, and through church.

I am baffled at why you would try to make some people feel inferior for not sending kids to a "Christian" school. There is absolutely no Biblical basis for your claim. Yes, there are good reasons to do so when it is possible, but for some it is just not possible.

Yeah, I figured that would be your attitude. Christlike of you to claim defense of scripture when thumbing your nose at a moderator's rebuke. Not.

Your rebuke is wrong and goes against the Scriptures. The verses, the principles/doctrine derived when all are considered together are continually ignored.

Huh?? I Cor. 2:14:

"14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned."

What in the world does that have to do with how our children are educated? You certainly puzzle me. Again, the Bible says absolutely nothing on how we should educate our children.

1st Corinthians 2:14 applies to you KOB. God's Word lights the way but you cannot see it as you are the natural man.

• Lady Administrators
Your rebuke is wrong and goes against the Scriptures. The verses, the principles/doctrine derived when all are considered together are continually ignored.

No, swath, my rebuke was not wrong. Your spirit and your attitude are what is wrong. You have quoted verses that many people can learn from, but your conclusion is faulty, stating something God does not say, and putting yourself above individual heads of homes as to their decisions. That kind of attitude pushes people away rather than drawing them in. I'm not going to argue with you. I've told you not to continue the attitude. Consider yourself warned.

Archived