• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

swathdiver

Christian Schools - How Much?

Excuses are flying across this forum on why it's ok to disobey the Lord and throw children to the devils of the government school system. The chief excuse is cost.

So how much does it cost in your area to send a kid or three to a Christ-centered K-12 school?

List the name if you like but definitely the city and cost for 1 or more students.

In our case, it's $590 per MONTH to send our THREE kids to the Academy. The second and subsequent children get around a 50% discount. They are using the A Beka curriculum.

If you don't have any rugrats in school, please take five minutes to check out your area so others can see that obeying the Lord in this instance can be done.

Edited by swathdiver

In my town there was only one Christian School left and it closed down last year. It was a Catholic school and if you were in good standings with the church, active member, it was $3000.00 a year. If not an active Catholic, it was almost double that. I know I don't consider Catholic school to be really a "Christian" school, but if I had to choose between Catholic or public school, it would have been the Catholic school. We are currently homeschooling 2 kids with 2more soon to follow. If for some reason my wife and I can't continue this, we sill have to move or something. Public school will never be an option, although I don't consider it sin to send a kid to public school.

Years ago I prayed and told the Lord that as long as He made it possible, I would send my children to a Christian school. He made it possible, and they had never so much as entered a public school. God is the great provider. Sometimes it was hard, but nothing good comes without a certain amount of sacrifice either on our part, or as in salvation, on the Lord's part. My wife had to drive them to school every day, (until we car pooled) in winter ice and snow, with some exciting events occurring, but she always made it without any harm to the car, her, or the kids. It is all worth the sacrifice.

In my city it costs on the low side $750 per month for 1 child. Higher cost schools are $1200 per month for 1 child.

It is cost prohibitive. The money simply isn't there. That is more money than I spend on housing per month alone.

I send my daughter to a public pre-k, and she is thriving and loving it. We are fortunate to have some great public elementary schools in our area.

And I am sorry, but I see nowhere in the Bible that requires parents to send kids to private Christian schools. I believe there are good reasons to do so, but it is not possible for everyone. Do what you believe is best for your family and quit trying to make others feel inferior for doing the best they can for their family.

Edited by kindofblue1977

The average cost for a child to attend a Christian private school in our area ranges between 1,000-1,500 per child per month. Multiple child discounts range between 10% and 25%.

Public school works just fine for my kids and there is no way I could pay that kind of money (nor would I want to). For that money I could stay home and teach my child AND save money. I don't feel that just because it's a Christian school that it's a better choice school. I've heard some interesting stories coming out of so called conservative Christian private schools. They just hide it better.

Excuses are flying across this forum on why it's ok to disobey the Lord and throw children to the devils of the government school system. The chief excuse is cost.

So how much does it cost in your area to send a kid or three to a Christ-centered K-12 school?

List the name if you like but definitely the city and cost for 1 or more students.

In our case, it's $590 per MONTH to send our THREE kids to the Academy. The second and subsequent children get around a 50% discount. They are using the A Beka curriculum.

If you don't have any rugrats in school, please take five minutes to check out your area so others can see that obeying the Lord in this instance can be done.

Swath, I'm addressing this as a moderator here: the tone of this post is absolutely unnecessary. YOU are not the decider as to who is obeying the Lord or not re:education of their children. Please refrain, in the future, from asserting that someone who doesn't believe and practice what you do re: education is not obeying the Lord. You do not know the hearts, and you do not know how God is working in individual lives. So do not continue in that vein (and that goes for anyone else who wants to take up the mantle). Thank you.

~~~~~

Now - as to the question of cost:

Our school is not anywhere nearly as expensive as most. For members it was (when our son was in school - I'm sure it's gone up a bit now) just under $1500/per year (per child). But there are a lot of other costs. Registration fee. Book fees. Band fee. And then there are our candy sales, in which parents take kids out selling - using their $ for gas, etc. It can add up after a while to be kind of costly - especially if the mom doesn't work outside the home (which we all know is actually best, but not always possible...especially if a family is going to send their child(ren) to private school).

Sometimes, though, it isn't the money that is the cost...

1 child who does not attend services -- $80/ mo., four children who all (with or without parents attending) 2 services a week and have no detention in the month and maintain a 90% or higher grade average in all subjects -- $75/ mo (not per child -- total).

That's the highest level and the lowest level and there are no extra expenses for field trips, books, etc except for a one time $25 registration fee when a child is enrolled for the first time.

We reserve the right to refuse any potential student and require parents and high school aged children to read and understand the school handbook beforehand. We also severely limit the number of outside children admitted. In other words, we're not taking a child just because there's a desire to put in our school and the tuition money is available.

We never have more than 4 students from outside the church and have even refused children from within the church.

I personally know a church that has a school (only children of members in good standing) that charges --- $0

When we home schooled we never paid over a total of $800/year for our 5 children

Edited by Old fashioned

Christian schooling is very expensive here. It costs us over $600/month for four children, year-round payments, and that's with a 50% discount for being in the ministry. In other words, it would be over $1200/month for four children, year-round payments for a regular family.

The cheapest one in my area (per year... and 30 minutes way (think of the gas prices!!!)) costs: 3 students $8,550.00

That is not including application fees, which are $160-$200 PER CHILD per year, depending on grade.

In our case, it's $590 per MONTH to send our THREE kids to the Academy.

Let's pretend that you are a single parent and make minimum wage. You bring home $1000/month. First thing's first, you need to provide a home for your 3 children. In my area, a 2-bedroom apartment would cost you a MINIMUM of $500/month (I hope you like sleeping on the couch, because it's illegal for an adult to share a bedroom with a child over a certain age and different gender children must also have different rooms). Plus, your children need at least 1 complete outfit and food to eat. You need a car to get around, or at least bus fair. How does that leave room for you to pay $590/month for schooling??? How will your children have uniforms? What will you do if one month a child gets sick and you have to pay for a doctor's visit? What happens if your car breaks down?? While I think it's wonderful that you are able to provide well for your family, it makes me sick that you actually consider someone who is widowed with 3 children and working as well as she can to provider for her family to be sinning against God. No wonder the world looks at Christians and thinks we are all hypocrites!! Maybe you should come to Detroit and spend some time with the families that are struggling as I mentioned above.

2 years ago at Thanksgiving a company donated 200 turkeys to our church for us to distribute to families who were unable to have a nice meal. The city gave us PAGES and PAGES of families who made less than $12,000/year. I will pray for you...

I'm sure that 99% of Christians would send there kids to a Christian school, or even homeschool them, if they could.

(I hope you like sleeping on the couch, because it's illegal for an adult to share a bedroom with a child over a certain age and different gender children must also have different rooms).

I had to share a bedroom with my mom up until I was 13. She would have a big temporary divider built down the middle of the bedroom. My brother's bedroom would be in the basement or utility room.

There aren't even any good Christian schools anywhere near where I live. They're either Catholic, Mormon, or Calvinist; not that Catholics and Mormons are Christian.

And I am sorry, but I see nowhere in the Bible that requires parents to send kids to private Christian schools.

See Corinthians 2:14 again KOB.

Swath, I'm addressing this as a moderator here: the tone of this post is absolutely unnecessary. YOU are not the decider as to who is obeying the Lord or not re:education of their children. Please refrain, in the future, from asserting that someone who doesn't believe and practice what you do re: education is not obeying the Lord.

Nope, not gonna do it. You can censor me or kick me out if you like but as for me and my house we will serve the Lord and defend the Scriptures.

The Scripture says that parents are to bring up their children in the nurture and admonition of the Lord. Parents, not teachers. If you want to make a big case out of this, that technically means that people should not be entrusting their children to others to 'bring them up' - such a practice would be to abdicate their own responsibility. I've heard Christian school advocates counter that as long as the parents are choosing other teachers, they're not abdicating their responsibility - but the text doesn't say anything about appointing others - just doing yourself! So if we're going to make it a sin to send kids to public school, it should really be a sin to send your kids to ANY school - homeschooling is thus the only option.

I certainly do not believe its best to send kids to public school - and that's an understatement! However, there is no logical case for making such a sin - unless you want to apply that verse completely and make Christian schools a sin too. The Bible is not perfectly clear on this issue. That makes it an area of Christian liberty - and why judge thee another man's servant in that area which he alloweth?

Pragmatically, a Christian school is no guarantee of anything. Even homeschooling is no guarantee of anything. (I learned that to my shock while working for a homeschool board. Some people simply should NOT be homeschooling.) The Christian school in my town had the worst behaved kids - because (according to one of their own) they were trying to prove that they were as bad as the public kids. Go figure...

While I think it's wonderful that you are able to provide well for your family, it makes me sick that you actually consider someone who is widowed with 3 children and working as well as she can to provider for her family to be sinning against God. No wonder the world looks at Christians and thinks we are all hypocrites!!

Romans 14:23
And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin.

It might be sin for him to send his child to public school.

Although I think it is great that a "rich" Christian is able to start "Christian" colleges and do other things with their money along the same lines, the Bible is very clear that we are to take care of the widows. We are a bunch of hypocrites if we can sit in church and notice a widow and her children struggling and yet we do nothing. We say we believe in God and His Word, but that is as long as it doesn't effect our pocket books. This is not directed towards Swathdiver or anyone else in here because I don't know anybody's finances. I do know there are Christians out there that are financially sound but yet do nothing to help the poor except to put their "tithe" in the offering plate and then leave it to the church to take care of the poor. I believe these would fall under your "hypocrites" you were talking about, especially if they sent their kids to private school because they felt it was "sin" if they didn't. Somoeone posted in one of the threads recently about an anonomous doner that helped send some kids to a Christian school. Well, God bless that anonomous doner and I am sure He will.

1 child who does not attend services -- $80/ mo., four children who all (with or without parents attending) 2 services a week and have no detention in the month and maintain a 90% or higher grade average in all subjects -- $75/ mo (not per child -- total).

That's the highest level and the lowest level and there are no extra expenses for field trips, books, etc except for a one time $25 registration fee when a child is enrolled for the first time.

We reserve the right to refuse any potential student and require parents and high school aged children to read and understand the school handbook beforehand. We also severely limit the number of outside children admitted. In other words, we're not taking a child just because there's a desire to put in our school and the tuition money is available.

We never have more than 4 students from outside the church and have even refused children from within the church.

Okay, this sounds great! Where is it and what is the job situation in the area? :)

Okay, this sounds great! Where is it and what is the job situation in the area? :)

That's humorous -- center of US, $10-12/hr is good pay, $13 is exceptional, $14 is practically unheard of. Rent runs $300-500/ mo, houses sell for an average of $50,000, there is a house in town that won't sell because ain't NOBODY here going to pay $135,000 for a house.

Our county's unemployment rose to 3.5% in 2010.

Well, it looks as if we can blame God that our kids are not in a Christian school! He is the One that provides, and our lack of trust in Him and faith in His provision is our excuse for not doing so.

I worked in a factory, had house payments, car payments, insurances, etc, but I sacrificed having a boat, and snowmobile (I live in Michigan) and campers, etc, not even spending a lot on hobbies like hunting, fishing, electrical gadgets, etc. I set some priorities and God provided. My children did not go without anything necessary, even after I lost my job. It is hard for everyone, but I find that we seem to have the money for multiple vacations, and amusements, and other things we want, but it seems we do not have the money for Christian education. I do not go as far to say it is a sin for us to send our children to public schools, but it is foolish to allow them to be indoctrinated into the worldly society any more than they will be from merely living in the world! The entire school system , even the "good schools" are based on humanistic philosophy, and evolutionary beliefs.

The Lord is faithful. We use these same excuses (lack of money) to rob the church because we "can't afford to give". The Lord will bless according to the attitude we have toward money--the Bible is full of scriptures bearing this out.

Be nice if enough Baptist would be like the Mennonites that’s around here. They’ve got their own school, teach them to the 7th grade, without the worldly education. They lose very few children to the world.

With public schools in New York giving out the abortion pill to young girls, taking them to the abortion clinics, never telling their parents, & no telling what else, that is a very good reason of itself for a Christian to keep their children out of public schools. And we have not even talked about the number of children Christians are losing to the world because they’re sent to public schools that teach them contradictory to Bible principles, even teaching them there is no God along with evolution.

We have gotten into a comfort zone of public schools teaching our children & do not want to get out of it.

Yet, what is the soul of our children worth?

Oh, I might add, they take care of their people, the elderly, the widows, & such. I suppose most of us Baptist are to divided to do this. Plus, none of them have large incomes, for they do not have the education to get the high paying jobs.

Yes, when it comes to this aspect of Christianity Mennonites, Amish and a few others have it right. They rightly tend to the education, training and upbringing of their children, losing very few to the world. They care for their own, loving the brethren, bearing one anothers burdens, caring for one another, helping and holding up those in need from the youngest to the oldest.

We Baptists, along with most other Christians, tend to toss our children to the world, push the elderly into nursing homes, leave widows to barely get by.

For several years now the Sword of the Lord has called Baptists to get their children out of the devil run worldly schools yet it seems only a few have done so. Even the SBC has attempted to save the children but most parents are unwilling to do what it takes.

It's just too easy to send the children to the worlds schools. It makes one look too different to homeschool or form a Christian school; so much more acceptable to cast the children into the care of the lost.

Surveys indicate in most cases 90% or more of "church children" leave the church by the time they graduate high school or leave home. It's little wonder since they are trained and educated in and by the world, most of their parents are on the go working, spending litle actual time in raising their children. Most of their friends come from the worldly school, not church.