• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

JerryNumbers

Rapist Seeking Visitation With Child He Fathered After Attack On Teen Victim

I do have to add that as a single woman I find that there are not many men out there up for the challenge of a Biblical marriage. It's disappointing to say the least.

Yes, it is very disappointing. My 2 sisters have 9 girls and I have 2 girls. I get depressed thinking about the men that are out there today and how the ones up for the challenge of Biblical marriage as so few and far between.

I don't quite understand why this would be disastrous today. Do you know why it is uncommon for a woman/girl to get married young today? Well, you can thank the women's lib movement. Back in the day, women weren't educated to the full extent that boys were because alot believed women were to be homemakers. The "barefoot and pregnant" idea. So because women felt that Biblical teachings of women being homemakers was outdated and for the religious nuts, the womens lib movement stepped up to liberate women so some man wouldn't hold her back from her full potential of becoming career minded. Women wanted to get rid of the notion of getting married young and being a slave to a man. A woman doesn't need a man in order to survive. So now you see less and less girls getting married young. Now they're just getting pregnant.

This is another reason there is also so much premarital sex going on as well. Just a hundred years ago, and less in some areas, when one reached what we call the teen years they were considered and expected to act like young men and young women. Today they are taught to avoid responsibility, to delay growing up, but that they are to demand rights similar to adults and it's okay to have sex and do your own thing.

Society today does everything they can to herd teens together, whether in schools, sports, concerts, programs hang outs, etc., so we have them is places and situations where their passions will naturally become arroused, temptations abound, knowing they are not allowed to get married, and some wonder why most teens don't wait until marriage to have sex.

I do a little geneology research from time to time and one of my aunts does a lot. It's interesting to see just how young some of my ancestors were when they got married, and then went on to remain married for several decades. It's not just my family, of course, one finds the same thing when reading history and biographies. It's amazing to see how many children were basically self educated and by the time they were in the early to mid teens they were better educated than todays average college graduate. These same young men would then set out on their own, establish themselves and marry, often to a young woman still in her teens.

In any event, todays society, in it's attempt to create a man-made perfect world, has created rules, laws and expectations that work against reality and most often work against biblical principles.

I would like to add to John's post an observation. The young couples in our church, those who grew up in a Christian home and received a Christian education and have a started a family just out of college are so much more mature and grounded than myself, my siblings and friends as we all grew up in the world. They are more like my parents and grandparents even though they too grew up worldly but back then more Christian values were part of everyday society, today they're all but gone.

In England and Wales it was legal for a girl to get married at 12 and a boy at 14 with their parents permission. That was changed in about 1926 to the age of 16 still with parents permission until they were 21. I think it is now 18, without permission but not sure as people are always trying to lower the age.

When I was younger, Scots law was that you could get married at 16 without parental permission. This resulted in many teenagers eloping to Scotland and getting married at Gretna Green. This is just over the border, and seemed to have some romantic attraction due to accounts that in the past, couples were married by the village blacksmith over the anvil.

My great, great aunt who was a Baptist missionary in India, now Bangla Desh, for over 30 years from 1885, wrote that ther were 78,000 widows under 9 years old, out of a total of 900,000 widows. Widows were the lowest outcasts of society.