• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

P_Bear141

Pray For America And Israel?

I find 520 BC interesting..... Like Gen 14 at a time when Melchizedek and Tryus existed --- in 520 BC also was the construction of the Temple of Satan atop of Hill Vaticanus in Rome. That temple was used by the Catholics for centuries.

Sorry; just interesting - maybe to me only ;-D Hope it is OK. Don't mean to side-track.

Edited by SamuelP

Zechariah & Haggai were primarily encouraging the Jews to complete rebuilding the temple after the exile, in about 520 BC.

Like John in Revelation, Zechariah (1 & 6) has visions of coloured horses & also chariots with coloured horses. In both Zech's visions, these are the LORD's agents, patrolling the earth. They do not appear to be directly related to the Rev. horsemen, unless we insist on a relationship. They are concerned with the defence, rebuilding & peace of Jerusalem. The colours do not have the significance as in Rev. 6 - though we see the same significance as Rev. in Ezec. 14:21

For thus saith the Lord GOD; How much more when I send my four sore judgme
nt
s upon Jerusalem, the sword, and the famine, and the noisome beast, and the pestilence, to cut off from it man and beast?

Chapter 2 is a vision of Jerusalem without walls (!) so is of the heavenly Jerusalem - certainly not the present city.

Chapter 3 is of the transformation of the high priest from the degraded Joshua without a temple to the glorious Joshua (Jesus) the redeemer on Calvary:
Hear now, O Joshua the high priest, thou, and thy fellows that sit before thee: for they [are] men wondered at: for, behold, I will bring forth my serva
nt
the BRANCH.

For behold the stone that I have laid before Joshua; upon one stone [shall be] seven eyes: behold, I will engrave the graving thereof, saith the LORD of hosts, and I will remove the iniquity of that land in one day.

In Zec. 4 we see 7 lamps supplied by 2 olive trees, & we see Zerubbabel - in the kingly line - doing the high priest's job of rebuilding the temple in the power of the Holy Spirit. The interpretation given by the angel is not understood by Zechariah:
Then the angel that talked with me answered and said u
nt
o me, Knowest thou n
ot
what these be? And I said, No, my lord.

Then he answered and spake u
nt
o me, saying, This [is] the word of the LORD u
nt
o Zerubbabel, saying, N
ot
by might, nor by power, but by my spirit, saith the LORD of hosts.

The hands of Zerubbabel have laid the foundation of this house; his hands shall also finish it; and thou shalt know that the LORD of hosts hath se
nt
me u
nt
o you.

Then said he, These [are] the two anoi
nt
ed ones, that stand by the Lord of the whole earth.

The details of the vision are not clear to me, but I suggest that Joshua & Zerubbabel - high priest & king - two offices that could NEVER be combined under the Law, are together forerunners of Christ.

Then in Zec. 5 we see a flying roll - an open scroll opened like a banner for all to see, showing the Law & it's penalty. . The Law will cause conviction & banishment - again?!?! The vision again takes us to Jesus & his Olivet prophecy.

In Zec. 6 we see the chariots, drawn by coloured horses, going through the earth & quieting the Spirit of God. Only the Gospel can do that. The last of this set of visions sees the high priest, Joshua - Jesus - crowned, rebuilding the temple, combining the office of priest & king. We see also those far off building in the temple.
And speak u
nt
o him, saying, Thus speaketh the LORD of hosts, saying, Behold the man whose name [is] The BRANCH; and he shall grow up out of his place, and he shall build the temple of the LORD:

Even he shall build the temple of the LORD; and he shall bear the glory, and shall sit and rule upon his throne; and he shall be a priest upon his throne: and the counsel of peace shall be between them b
ot
h.

And they [that are] far off shall come and build in the temple of the LORD, and ye shall know that the LORD of hosts hath se
nt
me u
nt
o you. And [this] shall come to pass, if ye will dilige
nt
ly
ob
ey the voice of the LORD your God.

Thus the first 6 chapters are prophecies of Jesus - King & High Priest - given in terms of the restoration & rebuilding of the temple led by Joshua & Zerubbabel.

The book continues & includes specific prophecies, particularly relating to the events of Jesus' last week on earth. That will be a further study.

Haggai 2 has similar prophecies:
[According to] the word that I covena
nt
ed with you when ye came out of Egypt, so my spirit remaineth among you: fear ye n
ot

For thus saith the LORD of hosts; Yet once, it [is] a little while, and I will shake the heavens, and the earth, and the sea, and the dry [land];

And I will shake all nations, and the desire of all nations shall come: and I will fill this house with glory, saith the LORD of hosts.

That prophecy taken up in Hebrews 12, & looks beyond the earthly temple & kingdom to God's glorious eternal kingdom & spiritual, living temple.
And this [word], Yet once more, signifieth the removing of those things that are shaken, as of things that are made, that those things which cann
ot
be shaken may remain.

Wherefore we receiving a kingdom which cann
ot
be moved, let us have grace, whereby we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear:

For our God [is] a consuming fire.
Edited by Covenanter

It is such an amazing thing that so many came to see him and would have crowned Him King. I have the supposed letters of Pilate to Cesar and his wife's comments and the report of His sermons (if they are truly 100% legit). Thousands upon thousands thronged Him and placed palms and their coats in front of Him and turned around and cried crucified Him. But the glorious resurrection when thousands saw ~500 that resurrected with Him. No doubt no one was anxious to leave for home with all they were seeing and hearing and Peter and the Apostles breaking forth -------- I can't help but believe of the estimated 2mm souls there that most stayed through Pentecost and went home saved carrying the gospel. Of the church at Jerusalem estimates go as high as 50,000 Christians. Of the 2mm maybe 200,000 saved? Any thoughts on numbers?

An review of the first 6 chapters of Zechariah shows God's ongoing concern for Israel, with a focus on Messiah being a union of High Priest & King in one. We will continue to read with a focus on Jesus & his saving work - often directly quote in the Gospels.

One thing I especially love is his love for his redeemed people as "jewels in his crown."

And the LORD their God shall save them in that day as the flock of his people: for they [shall be as] the stones of a crown, lifted up as an ensign upon his land.

Malachi expresses the same thought:
Then they that feared the LORD spake often one to an
ot
her: and the LORD hearkened, and heard [it], and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared the LORD, and that thought upon his name.

And they shall be mine, saith the LORD of hosts, in that day when I make up my jewels; and I will spare them, as a man spareth his own son that serveth him.

Chapters 7 & 8 deal with a question about fasting & the LORD's encouraging reply. He concludes 8 with what amounts to a restatement of God's first promise to Abram:

Zec. 8:22 Yea, many people and strong nations shall come to seek the LORD of hosts in Jerusalem, and to pray before the LORD.

23 Thus saith the LORD of hosts; In those days [it shall come to pass], that ten men shall take hold out of all languages of the nations, even shall take hold of the skirt of him that is a Jew, saying, We will go with you: for we have heard [that] God [is] with you.

In ch 9:9ff we read the glorious entry prophesied, & Zec makes it clear that the promised King is a King of peace, both for Jerusalem & the nations - with the hope of deliverance from the consequences of the fall & death - from the waterless pit.
9 Rejoice greatly, O daughter of Zion; shout, O daughter of Jerusalem: behold, thy King cometh u
nt
o thee: he [is] just, and having salvation; lowly, and riding upon an ass, and upon a colt the foal of an ass.

10 And I will cut off the chari
ot
from Ephraim, and the horse from Jerusalem, and the battle bow shall be cut off: and he shall speak peace u
nt
o the heathen: and his dominion [shall be] from sea [even] to sea, and from the river [even] to the ends of the earth.

11 As for thee also, by the blood of thy covena
nt
I have se
nt
forth thy prisoners out of the pit wherein [is] no water.

The redeemed are his trophies - adorning his crown.
And the LORD their God shall save them in that day as the flock of his people: for they [shall be as] the stones of a crown, lifted up as an ensign upon his land.

I understand the details of the wars & victories as spiritual - the outworking of the victory resulting from the shed blood of his new covenant. As spiritual warfare, we refer to Eph. 6. Israel's enemies have always been those who seduce her from following the LORD.