• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

John81

Study: Most Churchgoers Don't Read Bible Daily

Study: Most Churchgoers Don't Read Bible DailyStudy: Most Churchgoers Don't Read Bible Daily
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (BP) -- While the majority of churchgoers desire to honor Christ with their lives and even profess to think on biblical truths, a recent study found few actually engage in personal reading and study of the Scriptures.

"Bible engagement" is one of the eight attributes of discipleship identified in the Transformational Discipleship study conducted by LifeWay Research. The study produced the Transformational Discipleship Assessment, which measures an individual's spiritual growth in each of these areas of development.

The survey found 90 percent of churchgoers agree that "I desire to please and honor Jesus in all I do," and 59 percent agree with the statement: "Throughout the day I find myself thinking about biblical truths." While the majority agree with both statements, there is a significant difference in the strength of agreement. Nearly two-thirds of churchgoers (64 percent) strongly agree with the first statement, but only 20 percent strongly agree with the second.

However, when asked how often they personally (not as part of a church worship service) read the Bible:

-- 19 percent respond "every day."

-- 26 percent say a few times a week.

-- 14 percent say they read the Bible "once a week."

-- 22 percent say "once a month" or "a few times a month."

-- 18 percent say "rarely/never."

"Bible engagement has an impact in just about every area of spiritual growth," said Ed Stetzer, president of LifeWay Research. "You can follow Christ and see Christianity as your source of truth, but if that truth does not permeate your thoughts, aspirations and actions, you are not fully engaging the truth.

"God's Word is truth, so it should come as no surprise that reading and studying the Bible are still the activities that have the most impact on growth in this attribute of spiritual maturity," Stetzer said. "As basic as that is, there are still numerous churchgoers who are not reading the Bible regularly. You simply won't grow if you don't know God and spend time in God's Word."

http://www.bpnews.net/bpnews.asp?ID=38659

Edited by John81

Lifeway and Stetzer, southern baptists!

That's true, but other surveys have found that Southern Baptists are more likely to read their Bible than other denominations (of course IFB isn't a denomination so they are not factored in).

I've known of folks who are considered "good Christians" who have attended church their whole lives and yet are exceedingly biblically illiterate.

In the mid-80s I was speaking with a Methodist pastor and we ended up having a good long conversation. At the end of our conversation he told me that I knew the Bible better than probably anyone in his church. Mind you this was in the mid-80s when I had only been saved for a few years and before I had any discipling and before I met my first Baptist pastor so I wouldn't think my biblical understanding was even all that much back then.

Sadly, I know of Sunday school teachers who know very little of the Bible, it's obvious they do very little (if any) reading of the Bible themselves. They take the prepared Sunday school lessons, read the directions, have the children do what they are supposed to, and that's it. They don't seem to remember any more of what is being "taught" in their Sunday school class than the children do.

One point to also consider is how many of the 19% who say they read the Bible daily were actually lying? I know, Christians shouldn't lie, but it's amazing how many do, especially if they think it will make them look better. Likely as not, the actual percentage of those surveyed who truly read the Bible daily is lower than 19%.

I read my Bible daily and have for many years, but I didn't do that earlier in my Christian walk and when I first tried to do so I failed a couple times before I finally determined before the Lord to be faithful to starting each day with reading my Bible. I can attest to the fact that reading the Bible daily is worth whatever one must do to make sure they do so. Nothing can replace daily time reading the Word.

I read my Bible daily and have for many years, but I didn't do that earlier in my Christian walk and when I first tried to do so I failed a couple times before I finally determined before the Lord to be faithful to starting each day with reading my Bible. I can attest to the fact that reading the Bible daily is worth whatever one must do to make sure they do so. Nothing can replace daily time reading the Word.

After I was first saved I failed miserably on my first few attempts to read my Bible daily, usually stopping somewhere in the OT. Sadly it took me about 2 years after I was baptized in an IFB church that I finally completed reading the KJB through-this was 2009. Last Sunday I finished my 7th time through, and picked up in Genesis 1 on Labor Day morning. My preacher back in MO was instrumental in this to a certain extent with his constant encouragement.

After I was first saved I failed miserably on my first few attempts to read my Bible daily, usually stopping somewhere in the OT. Sadly it took me about 2 years after I was baptized in an IFB church that I finally completed reading the KJB through-this was 2009. Last Sunday I finished my 7th time through, and picked up in Genesis 1 on Labor Day morning. My preacher back in MO was instrumental in this to a certain extent with his constant encouragement.

One good thing is we can both look back and see growth in our walk with the Lord. I know I stumbled a great deal early on so it's very clear to me now why Jesus said to make disciples rather than telling us to make converts.

One good thing is we can both look back and see growth in our walk with the Lord. I know I stumbled a great deal early on so it's very clear to me now why Jesus said to make disciples rather than telling us to make converts.

Yes sir, Amen!

Problem with this is no one asked me and no asked anyone I know that I know of if they read the bible. I would be in the 19% but considering no one asked how would anyone know? This year I have a bible reading plan that get me thru OT once Psalms and NT twice and Proverbs 13 times. But no one has asked me if i do or not so I'm not even counted in the study. so hopefuly there are more just like me and it more than 19% that read their Bibles.

It may help to have good preaching and teaching in church to feed the apatite of the congregation as a whole and individually; inspiring them to study on their own. the church I just joined today does just that, to where the members are coming to the pastor, and saying, he has made them want to dig deeper into the word of God.

It may help to have good preaching and teaching in church to feed the apatite of the congregation as a whole and individually; inspiring them to study on their own. the church I just joined today does just that, to where the members are coming to the pastor, and saying, he has made them want to dig deeper into the word of God.

While we should want to read the Word without being told to, some do need to be told, need to be encouraged and reminded. Our pastors continually encourage the congregation to read the Word daily. In our adult Sunday school our pastor always encourages us to read ahead for next week and to write down any questions we may have.

Well, congrats on joining! That's exciting. :-)

I still stumble around but I see the throne of grace becomes more clear every day and it's there my Savior puts his arm around my shoulders and comforts me.

While we should want to read the Word without being told to, some do need to be told, need to be encouraged and reminded. Our pastors continually encourage the congregation to read the Word daily. In our adult Sunday school our pastor always encourages us to read ahead for next week and to write down any questions we may have.

Yes I agree, and the same is done by our Pastor, and Sunday school teachers. To add also: I miss the time when the Pastors of old would emphasize that...
the Bible is the Word of God!

Yes I agree, and the same is done by our Pastor, and Sunday school teachers. To add also: I miss the time when the Pastors of old would emphasize that...
the Bible is the Word of God!

Many pastors fail to say that often, or at all, because there are many today who don't believe it! What a shame that many Christian pastors across the land think only part of the Bible is from God or that the whole Bible is just words written by men. Even among those who do believe the Bible is the Word of God, some don't say that often enough.

The FACT the Bible is the Word of God needs to be repeated often so all newcomers will hear that important declaration and so regular attendees will not forget. Thankfully our pastor often points out the Bible is the Word of God in his sermons and adult Sunday school class as well as during the men's Bible study.

Many pastors fail to say that often, or at all, because there are many today who don't believe it! What a shame that many Christian pastors across the land think only part of the Bible is from God or that the whole Bible is just words written by men. Even among those who do believe the Bible is the Word of God, some don't say that often enough.

The FACT the Bible is the Word of God needs to be repeated often so all newcomers will hear that important declaration and so regular attendees will not forget. Thankfully our pastor often points out the Bible is the Word of God in his sermons and adult Sunday school class as well as during the men's Bible study.

Bereans are a rare breed these days. When I first started exposing the occult nature behind these "do-righter" groups, one of the common things I heard was "the guys been preachiing heresy for 11 years" and I'm thinking, it took you 11 years to figure that out??? These folks suffer from Sonday Onlyism Theology. The only time they pick up a Bible is on Sonday and if you never check the sermon against the Bible "whether those things were so" then you're ripe for deception.

Bereans are a rare breed these days. When I first started exposing the occult nature behind these "do-righter" groups, one of the common things I heard was "the guys been preachiing heresy for 11 years" and I'm thinking, it took you 11 years to figure that out??? These folks suffer from Sonday Onlyism Theology. The only time they pick up a Bible is on Sonday and if you never check the sermon against the Bible "whether those things were so" then you're ripe for deception.

Another thing that puzzles me is the number of Church members who don't take a bible to church.

And the number who leave them at church.........

Depending. I knew a guy who kept one at church, one at home, and one in his van. All 3 got used, but he didn't have to worry about forgetting and being without his Bible. They were identical size, publisher, and style as each other.

Another thing that puzzles me is the number of Church members who don't take a bible to church.

For many churches today most don't carry Bibles. The verses preached from are shown on a screen, there are pew Bibles in case of "emergency" and if they are not going to Sunday school, they don't bring a Bible.

One time when I was visiting churches looking for a new church home my oldest son and I walked into a church carrying our Bibles. I quickly noticed I didn't see anyone else with a Bible. When the preacher finally came to the pulpit after much singing, he wasn't carrying a Bible either! Perhaps his Bible was already at the pulpit? No Bible there either. When he preached he had the verses he was going to use that day on printout paper and the verses were shown on one of several screens in the church. This preacher used 6 different versions to preach his 20 minute sermon from! No wonder he didn't carry a Bible, he would have had to carry six of them.

This preacher used 6 different versions to preach his 20 minute sermon from! No wonder he didn't carry a Bible, he would have had to carry six of them.

For twenty minutes he was a god! Picking and choosing verses that fit with the message he wanted to teach, not God.

For twenty minutes he was a god! Picking and choosing verses that fit with the message he wanted to teach, not God.

Yeah, it was rather sad. Man reconfigured verses (nothing from the KJB) and a long story about him, a rat and the crawl space in the house he was living in.