• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

desertjim

Church Membership

It's in my King James Bible:

Christ is the head of the church: "And hath put all things under his feet, and gave him to be the head over all things to the church,"

He died for it: "Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, ...even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;"

Added to what?: "Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls."

Are we just to enter into any church and pay our tithe?

First all souls were commanded to worship God at the tabernacle, then the temple and now the New Testament Church.

You can learn more by reading the Baptist Handbook at www.baptistchallenge.org

That's liberal thinking, "In essentials unity, in non-essentials liberty..."; complete blasphemy!

This doesn't square with Acts 20:27 or this from Ephesians 6:

"Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might.
Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.
Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;
And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;
Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.
And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:
Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;
And for me, that utterance may be given unto me, that I may open my mouth boldly, to make known the mystery of the gospel,
For which I am an ambassador in bonds: that therein I may speak boldly, as I ought to speak."

There are many more verses which speak to this if memory serves. There's a good article in the March 2006 Baptist Challenge, "A Limited Message or a Limited Fellowship". There's always good articles in the Baptist Challenge, thank you Preacher Moser and Praise God for his ministry!

Wow .. did you ever take that the totally wrong way! I've come to discover that this site is just not for me ... too much negative talk, and putting down of others. I will, however, address two things ...

1. In reference to church "membership", I refer to the actual matter of "membership" ... you give me one verse that has the word "membership" in it and I'll be satisfied. We are to all be members of one body, but there's no mention of actual paperwork to say we are church members. We come to a body of like believers and associate together and grow together as members of that part of the body of Christ. When we tithe, it's what we give back to God, so church membership really has nothing to do at all with tithing. I'm sure you'll still find a way to twist my words, but that's the truth.

2. I take great offense to your "That's liberal thinking, "In essentials unity, in non-essentials liberty..."; complete blasphemy!". I am so far from liberal in my thinking... and I am not quoting "complete blasphemy". Shame on you for saying such things to a sister in the Lord. My point was that we need to agree 100% on the basics of Christianity, there are some areas that are not crystal clear in Scripture and on those things we need to agree to disagree, it is not worth the discord it would cause to argue over every single item. The items become the issue rather than our Lord. THAT was my point. I have found a church who has very similar beliefs to mine, but we all know that we will not all agree on everything, it's just not possible.

I hope I have made myself clear.

Would someone please let me know how to get rid of my account as I cannot see a way to "deactivate". Thanks.

Wow .. did you ever take that the totally wrong way! I've come to discover that this site is just not for me ... too much negative talk, and putting down of others. I will, however, address two things ...

1. In reference to church "membership", I refer to the actual matter of "membership" ... you give me one verse that has the word "membership" in it and I'll be satisfied. We are to all be members of one body, but there's no mention of actual paperwork to say we are church members. We come to a body of like believers and associate together and grow together as members of that part of the body of Christ. When we tithe, it's what we give back to God, so church membership really has nothing to do at all with tithing. I'm sure you'll still find a way to twist my words, but that's the truth.

2. I take great offense to your "That's liberal thinking, "In essentials unity, in non-essentials liberty..."; complete blasphemy!". I am so far from liberal in my thinking... and I am not quoting "complete blasphemy". Shame on you for saying such things to a sister in the Lord. My point was that we need to agree 100% on the basics of Christianity, there are some areas that are not crystal clear in Scripture and on those things we need to agree to disagree, it is not worth the discord it would cause to argue over every single item. The items become the issue rather than our Lord. THAT was my point. I have found a church who has very similar beliefs to mine, but we all know that we will not all agree on everything, it's just not possible.

Would someone please let me know how to get rid of my account as I cannot see a way to "deactivate". Thanks.

It's true we will not likely find a church where we agree with everyone on every matter. If you decide to leave I will be sad to see you go.

Wow .. did you ever take that the totally wrong way! I've come to discover that this site is just not for me ... too much negative talk, and putting down of others.

No ma'am, I don't think so. Maybe some others will chime in and prove my point right or wrong. I'm not against being wrong, just against being in error to God's Word. I am not so prideful as think I could be wrong about anything anymore.

That being said, I implore you not to leave on my account and am sorry if I offended you. If the folks here believe that I was innacurate in my rebuke then I will apologize for that too. However, it seems to me you just re-affirmed that stance in your rebuttle?

I would have to agree that it doesn't say anywhere that you have to "join" a church. imo, where it says that souls were "added", I believe that means that they were saved.

Also, as far the comment "That's liberal thinking", it cracks me up because there seem to be alot of people on this site who are so worried about being liberal that they are very much legalistic. What happened to grace??

Joining a church holds you accountable. What authority would a Pastor have if you are not a member? The Pastor is the head of the flock (church) and the sheep are church members, not just people who attend. By being a member, you are identifying yourself with that specific local church and are showing a vested interest in it. Think about this: You have a company that you run strictly according to your manual. Your employees are like minded, and get a say in how certain affairs are handled. Now lets say you have some individuals who either seem to be, or actually are, like minded, but won't commit to actually submitting themselves to your authority as boss.

Much the same way for a church. By becoming members, you are submitting yourself to the leadership of the Pastor and he has the biblical authority to hold you accountable. He has no power to do that to non-members. That is why church membership is essential, and I agree with swath, biblical.

Well first of all, I'm not sure what "office" you would want to hold. But at my church we have women sunday school teachers who are divorced. Personally, I don't see an issue with it. Maybe someone else will have a different opinion.

My apologies I didn't mean "office" I meant a position. For example I know a woman who is a minister in her church (Protestant) and another woman who is a speaker (stands at the podium where the Pastor would stand) to give motivational scriptural based speeches to the congregation.

I'm a bit old schooled... traditional... maybe? I just can't accept women in positions such as those especially in a church. To me being a member of a church doesn't make anything different for me as a woman. I still feel accountable to my Pastor even though I'm not a member. For men (husbands) it seems to make a difference in regards to how involved you can be in the church. Interesting to note that the church I grew up in as a woman you could not be a "member" of the church unless through your father or your husband. Wonder if it was like that in other churches long ago.

There are a few scriptures that come to mind when I think of this topic.

"Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence." I Tim. 2:11-12 KJV

"One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity; (For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?)" I Timothy 3:3-5 KJV

"Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body. Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing. Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it." Ephesians 5:22-25 KJV

btw, what is your reason for NOT being a member as a divorced person?

I know this will sound completely strange so here I go. Being divorced I feel incomplete so if I was a member of a church without a husband it wouldn't feel right. This is just me and not speaking for anyone else but me. It's a personal thing I've always felt. My family feels incomplete having no Patriarch/HoH in the home.

During the years I was a member of the LDS church I realized how horrible it felt to be a member yet I had no husband. I had no husband to lead our family home evenings, no husband to attend the Temple with, sit together as a family in church, no Priesthood represented in our home, no husband to join me when I met with the Bishop, sitting in the back so to let the "complete" families sit in the pews together (folding chairs are not easy when you have 4+ kids at toe), no Priesthood to give blessings when I needed one (had to call a leader to ask for one), and many other things that made me feel my family was not complete.

Let me just add that I'm happy taking the back seat and rather stand in support of my husband rather than doing any of these things that men are called to do and be. I love being the help-meet! But yes when you are divorced it's an awkward situation. I have to go to the other men or my Pastor for advise etc. on things I need counsel on.

Hopefully that answered the question :)

I know this isn't the same as you, but I was widowed at the ripe old age of 22. I was going to church (IFB) but my husband was mormon and rarely attended any services. I, myself, felt "incomplete" as you mentioned before. However, after making many friendships and getting involved, I started to feel more like I was at home. Then a friend pointed out the verse "He shall feed his flock like a shepherd: he shall gather the lambs with his arm, and carry them in his bosom, and shall gently lead those that are with young. (Isaiah 40:11)" and to me, this helped me to realize that the Lord loves everyone and cares in a special way for those who have young children to take care of. Now, I didn't have any children with my 1st husband, but I knew that God was not done with me. I've been married now for almost 3 years and I have a 14 month old son and life isn't perfect, but I know that it was all God's plan for my life. As far as being a single woman, personally I don't see any reason why you couldn't be deeply involved with the goings on in a church. What if you had never been married? Would you still feel the same way?

I am considering membership in a local I.F.B. Church, and they will not accept any divorced individual to hold any position or office, even before they were saved. The last church I attended would not allow the Lords supper to be administered to anyone that was not a member, (closed communion).
The one I am considering membership now, I will find out tonight they"re position on non-member communion.

Yes my church is the same. Closed communion.

I too would be sorry to see you go. I think each of us no matter how different or same in thinking contribute a great deal to the discussion.

Peace be with you.

I know this isn't the same as you, but I was widowed at the ripe old age of 22. I was going to church (IFB) but my husband was mormon and rarely attended any services. I, myself, felt "incomplete" as you mentioned before. However, after making many friendships and getting involved, I started to feel more like I was at home. Then a friend pointed out the verse "He shall feed his flock like a shepherd: he shall gather the lambs with his arm, and carry them in his bosom, and shall gently lead those that are with young. (Isaiah 40:11)" and to me, this helped me to realize that the Lord loves everyone and cares in a special way for those who have young children to take care of. Now, I didn't have any children with my 1st husband, but I knew that God was not done with me. I've been married now for almost 3 years and I have a 14 month old son and life isn't perfect, but I know that it was all God's plan for my life. As far as being a single woman, personally I don't see any reason why you couldn't be deeply involved with the goings on in a church. What if you had never been married? Would you still feel the same way?

Thank you for sharing. I actually do get involved as much as I can so in that area I'm good. But I do feel that as a woman my altimate calling in life is to be a wife and mother. Those bring such wonderful joy into my life.

I would have to agree that it doesn't say anywhere that you have to "join" a church. imo, where it says that souls were "added", I believe that means that they were saved.

Also, as far the comment "That's liberal thinking", it cracks me up because there seem to be alot of people on this site who are so worried about being liberal that they are very much legalistic. What happened to grace??
'

Thank you for your comment. I feel like I am obviously not communicating my point clearly. I am having a very difficult time with this "rebuke" ... I'm going to give my "rebuker" the benefit of the doubt that they are not understanding what I am trying to say and are blinded by what they think I'm trying to say.

"Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O Lord, my strength, and my redeemer." Psalm 19:14 KJV

"Let your speech be always with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man." Colossians 4:6

I'm a bit old schooled... traditional... maybe? I just can't accept women in positions such as those especially in a church.

It is old school and traditional because it's biblical, it's written in the scriptures what our roles are. It's the liberals and the world who ignore God's Word and feed their flesh.

I know this will sound completely strange so here I go. Being divorced I feel incomplete so if I was a member of a church without a husband it wouldn't feel right. This is just me and not speaking for anyone else but me. It's a personal thing I've always felt. My family feels incomplete having no Patriarch/HoH in the home.

Ma'am we should start praying to the Lord and ask Him to give you a husband! We weren't meant to be alone, you weren't made to cook meals by yourself, you cook out of love for those who will eat it, your husband and children. John R. Rice has a beautiful book that speaks much about what you bring up. It's called: The Home: courtship, marriage and children. The LDS placed a lot of emphasis on feelings and emotions as to whether things are good or not. The Bible teaches us to rely on God's Word instead. It's hard and can take a while to change, it's a struggle for me too.

I am considering membership in a local I.F.B. Church, and they will not accept any divorced individual to hold any position or office, even before they were saved. The last church I attended would not allow the Lords supper to be administered to anyone that was not a member, (closed communion).
The one I am considering membership now, I will find out tonight they"re position on non-member communion.

How did this go Doc?

Is this lady still around, I would be sorry to hear that she left.