• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

JerryNumbers

Windows 8: Hate It Already? Why Waiting For Windows 9 Won't Help

Windows 8: Hate It Already? Why Waiting for Windows 9 Won't Help

I had though deeply about going with the cheap upgrade to Windows 8. Yet from what I read that would not be an improvement to Windows 7.

Perhaps if I ran around with one of those little computer things held to my face all the time Windows 8 might be welcomed, but the only thing I use is this desktop.

:bleh: 

apple-logo1.jpg

My upgraded his laptop to 8.

When he recently bought a desktop he got 7.

He doesn't mind 8, but doesn't see it as an improvement - just different.

It does boot way faster.

As I said, I regularly use 98, 7, and 8 - and have vista and Ubuntu.
All work fine, all are a little different.

Even 8, which operates differently with the "app screen" is not a problem.

I find I quite enjoy it in fact - easier to find your programs than start menu, sub, menu etc.

But then again, 7 at work, which is a sleeker looking 98 on the surface, works fine. If I had that on one of my own I would be happy with it too.

Simply put, Windows 8 looks and feels horrible, their design team must have really rushed this one through! Win 7 is still the best IMO, and Mac OS just feels weird to use after using Windows for many years, everything is back to front with too many software compatibility issues? Apple iDevices on the other hand...nothing compares!

we bought a brand new laptop several weeks ago with the new windows 8. I was told that a swap from win7 to win8 was a breeze....NOT! Win8 on the new laptop was terrible...it would not work with my ipod/itunes, my sound edit software, or Bible software. We took that joker back to the store and bought a used win7 on the way home...now we're back in working order again! I did find out one thing...on win8 with the laptop i bought...it was the bare minimum version. I found an $80 upgrade that was supposed to make it work with the above mentioned software. My thoughts were..."i just paid $500 for a laptop...i'm not paying $80 more to make it do what an old used one will do"...the guy at Best Buy agreed with me. My suggestion on win8 is this...its not just a learning curve, you may have serious compatibility issues. Double check everything you plan to use with win8 before you make your purchase or you'll be up at 3am trying to figure out why a new, better thing won't accomplish what the old out dated one would!

It took me a day and a half of removing and reinstalling Windows 8, updating drivers, removing different "must" updates, a lot of  trial and error, before it finally worked with all of my husbands software. AAARGH!!!!

I still have Vista on mine. :)

One of my men at church.built the new computer, loaded up 8, set it all up, and when he set it up at church, I turned it on and it works.
Openoffice on one screen, esword on the other, and all is sweet.
By the way two screens is a fantastic setup.

The older I get, 66 going on 67, the more I dislike change, & learning new stuff. I really did not enjoy switching from XP to 7. Yet now that I've had 7 for sometime I like it, its worked quite good, & does everything I need to do.

So far I've had less trouble from it than I did with XP, yet much of the trouble I had with XP was brought about learning how to compute. I got my 1st computer in mid 2002, & I'm on my 3rd one.

My computer is 2003 vintage and has been overhauled several times.  Last year I changed the capacitors on the board and she is running great.  My only  frustration has been the hardware failure of every RAID array that I put up.  So now it's Carbonite and an external drive.

I built my parents a nearly identical computer in 2005 and last year they went full time to laptops.  So now I have that one for the kids (common area right next to mine) and have only made 4 repairs to it in eight years (1 Case Fan, 1 Power Supply, 1 Video Card, Memory Sticks).  Still has original drives and install of XP!

Still using my HP 932C printer from 1999 or 2000 and last year my scanner from 1996 finally died.  Anyone need an A: B: combo drive with 5.25" and 3.5" floppy drives???  Still running strong since 1993!

I worked over 20 years for one of the largest telecommunications companies in the World that manufactures Voice over IP Equipment and PBX equipment as a systems engineer until I finally decided to listen to God, and follow His plan for me  But that is another story.  

As I am following God's plan for my life my career path has changed I no longer work for the manufacturer, I actually work for one of their dealers, but while I am finishing my schooling, I am still in the Industry.  That being said I have been in the information services business my adult working life, achieved and MCSE certificatin in 1994, CCNA, CCDA in 1999, CCNP and the written portion of the CCIE in 2000 & 2001.  I have earned over 50 industry certifications mostly in specific applications, related to VOIP over the last 10 years.  Over the last several years though as I have explained I have finally listened to God and I am willing to do as He asks. (This took about 25 years to happen, sadly.)

I say all that to say this:  I have worked with about every OS there is.  Everyone has it's place.  Linux has great business applications and for the technically savvy user makes a decent home computer, but as Dave said, it is not for the let's say novice.  I work with Linux extensively and it is very stable.  Windows and Microsoft have their place, they own the home computer and for the most part business OS market, simply because Apple had horrible management.  Most people are entrenched in cheap PC compatible software and hardware.  Apple makes simply the best hardware, and really the best OS if you have the applications to support your needs.  In the telecommunication market most applications have abandoned the Microsoft market, due to OS cost and licensing fees.

Switching from a PC to Linux for the novice is not an easy road to go down.  It will be an uphill battle to get a computer up and running, and then getting your apps to work with Linux will be anywhere from somewhat easy to impossible.  If you decide to make this change research the programs and hardware you use and see if it is possible to make them work in a Linux environment, or decide if you are willing to reinvest in new applications, and possibly new hardware.  For a PC user to switch to a MAC could mean many of the same challenges.  As mentioned E-Sword and Sword Searcher can both be made to work with Linux, it takes some tweaking, and can be different on every computer.  Apps like VMWare, and other emulators have made things on Linux and the MAC easier to port Windows APPS>

These days I am trying to put my God given skills to better use, but have much to be thankful for.  This is my  :twocents: on the OS issue.

Now I must  :coffee2: have  :hungry: and get on with my day.

Edited by The Ohio Patriot

Isn't Windows 8 basically the same as Google Chrome, Apple iOS or Droid OS? An app driven operating system?

:ROFL:   Microsoft similar to the Mac-OS.or Google Chrome.  

If Microsoft made cars you would have to stop every fifty miles close all your windows, shut the car off and restart it.  The reopen all your windows. 

But seriously, no.

:ROFL:   Microsoft similar to the Mac-OS.or Google Chrome.  

If Microsoft made cars you would have to stop every fifty miles close all your windows, shut the car off and restart it.  The reopen all your windows. 

But seriously, no.

You really didn't answer my question. If it is an app driven OS then it is similar to Chrome or Mac iOS (i.e. Ipad).

It is a cross platform system, with a dual GUI setup.
Many of the old icons are now set up to work in a similar fashion to "apps" when in the app screen.

It can work as a touchscreen or mouse driven according to your hardware ability.

Seriously - it is all just window dressing ( ;) ).
The system boots up super quick, and the basic programs that I use all operate swiftly, but in all other respects the same as they do under XP, vista, and seven.

When in programs, you will not notice a difference.
The look in the app screen is different, but the old shortcuts work (windows key + E opens windows explorer for instance) and once you are in windows explorer it operates largely as the older versions, just faster.

I really don't have a problem with it, but I also don't think it is a huge improvement - except in boot up and program opening speeds.

Does that help?

For your info, my son upgraded his laptop from 7 to 8, and was so impressed that when he bought a desktop computer he asked for 7.......
He doesn't mind 8, but saved himself $40 by getting 7

Its mostly about the rich man wanting even more money, & him trying his best to get us to lust for the newest & latest thing he has to offer, & keeping up with the world.

Yes, my money can be spent for something much better than making him rich, fulfilling lust, & keeping up with the world.