• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

JerryNumbers

Windows 8: Hate It Already? Why Waiting For Windows 9 Won't Help

Windows 8: Hate It Already? Why Waiting for Windows 9 Won't Help

I had though deeply about going with the cheap upgrade to Windows 8. Yet from what I read that would not be an improvement to Windows 7.

Perhaps if I ran around with one of those little computer things held to my face all the time Windows 8 might be welcomed, but the only thing I use is this desktop.

Still running XP 2003 and 2005 (Media Center) here. Only started using it in 2006 after six years of '98, prior to that '95 and 3.1 and DOS, the good old days! hehehe

95 was good but primitive. 98 was a very good OS. Windows Me and 2000 were both terrible.

I also have Ubuntu installed on my computer. I would recommend it to anyone who is tired of Windows. It's free to download too. Edited by Wilchbla

Still running XP 2003 and 2005 (Media Center) here. Only started using it in 2006 after six years of '98, prior to that '95 and 3.1 and DOS, the good old days! hehehe

Ahhh, DOS....I remember the multiple floppies that had to be used to install it. I used to crash my hard drive a lot and had to reinstall, reformat, etc.....and then there was the command prompt....

Microsoft Essentials replaced my Norton 360 when they cheated me out of my subscription. Essentials is FREE and better. Too many things got past Norton but Essentials has caught just about everything. Not as resource intensive either.

Yeah, Windows 98 was hard to let go. Millenium was a mess, glad I never had that one! Until 2006, I had a dual 3.5/5.25 floppy drive from 1993 that I kept on board for the few DOS floppies I had. Have some files on 5.25" floppies for Apple II plus that I would like to someday print off and transfer but as yet, I know of nobody who has an old Apple up and running with a dot matrix printer. Still have all the games too for it! Anyhow, back on topic, the old computers showed an A: and B: floppy drive in "my computer".

church has XP, wife has Vista, my laptop is Win7 -- I don't see any real difference between them

To me there's a big difference between XP & Windows 7, even after over 1 year I still like XP much better. And from what I read Windows 8 is a major change.

I enjoy Windows 8 on my 3.5 year old laptop. I actually like Metro and not having the start menu. I also enjoy having the antivirus built in and not going with a 3rd party like Norton that really bogs a system down. If you have any questions about it let me know.

I use, & have been using, Microsoft Essentials for quite some time, in fact ever sine it came out, & do not have to go to a 3rd party, & its free. And I’ve been happy with it because it does just as good or maybe better than those that charge. So really that will have nothing to do with it. As for Norton’s, they are way to expensive & takes up to much computer.

As for a Metro, I have no idea what that is.

As for the start menu, its quite nice to have. And from reading the article many agree with this, especially when using a desktop & a mouse.

All in all what I get out of the direction Windows, Microsoft, has been going, & presently headed, its all about forcing new systems on us so they can fill up their pocketbooks. Not actually improving.

its all about forcing new systems on us so they can fill up their pocketbooks. Not actually improving.

Right, I saw no need to change from Windows 98 except that they forcibly made it obsolete. Am going to try to hang onto XP for as long as possible, as long as my hardware holds out! I replaced the capacitors on my motherboard, bought some spare parts and use an online back up so we don't lose family photos.

My wife likes Office 2007, especially the new features in Excel. We have 2003. Any opinions?

My wife likes Office 2007, especially the new features in Excel. We have 2003. Any opinions?

I've been using Open Office for a couple of years now, and couldn't be happier with it! It may not have all the frills of Office 2007, but as far as functionality goes, I think Open Office is much better. I'm able to save a file in more formats than Office 2007, it can read Office documents, and best of all is absolutely free.

If anyone is in the market for and office suite program, I would highly recommend Open Office. Like I said, it's free and you can do anything you need to do on it.

All in all what I get out of the direction Windows, Microsoft, has been going, & presently headed, its all about forcing new systems on us so they can fill up their pocketbooks. Not actually improving.

The thing is people said that when Windows 3.1 was introduced and then Windows XP and then Windows Vista. I personally would never want to go back to DOS.

I've been using Open Office for a couple of years now, and couldn't be happier with it! It may not have all the frills of Office 2007, but as far as functionality goes, I think Open Office is much better. I'm able to save a file in more formats than Office 2007, it can read Office documents, and best of all is absolutely free.

If anyone is in the market for and office suite program, I would highly recommend Open Office. Like I said, it's free and you can do anything you need to do on it.

I use Open Office and love it, but I use Prezi instead of OOs presentation program. Edited by Old fashioned

The thing is people said that when Windows 3.1 was introduced and then Windows XP and then Windows Vista. I personally would never want to go back to DOS.

Of course, once you have learned something, it can be nice. And of course, XP was a well liked system, & it seems 7 will be as well. Who knows, if it will do me as long as XP did, I may not ever buy another one. Of course I don't use my computer to do many thing many others do. I use it to post on this board, read news, exchange emails with a few friends, Bible study, my sermons, church bulletins, look up a few things on the net, download pictures from my camera to view or maybe run off a print. So I do not have to keep up with the latest as some would need to.

Yet with that said many of the changes between Windows XP & Windows 7, were just changes, & not really improvements. Few of them were really improvements, just a change so they could sell new operating systems, get in our pocketbooks. I read a post a man that has a business with lots of computers, he stated. XP has done a wonderful job, we changed to it when it came out. When 7 came out I checked it out, it was quite good & we felt in our business it would be a good investment, & its done very well. I've checked of 8 thoroughly, it would be a very poor investment in my business for it would not be an improvement, my people can do much better with 7. And I'm just guessing at this time, but I feel 7 may be best for my business for quite some time with the direction Microsoft is taking their operating systems. Yet on down the road there may well be a system from them that will be a good investment. At this time we are contemplating perhaps going with a different operating system, for the direction Microsoft is taking does not seem good for us.

I use Microsoft Works 7, had it for quite some time & it works quite well on my Windows 7. I use it to write letters, for sermon outlines, & for our church bulletins. I thought that when I got Windows 7 that it probably would not work, & I would have to get something else, fortunately it works good as ever.

And I still use Microsoft office students & teaches 2003, & it still seems to work quite well on 7.

Win 8 isn't out over here yet, I believe, although I did see a review today of a Toshiba with win 8. I have just bought a Toshiba laptop with win 7 and our new church laptop is also win 7. Problem is I cannot get drivers for the church printer for win 7. as Hp said the will not be updating the drivers because the printer is ove 7 years old. I also have an old Toshiba laptop and an HP tower system at church which run HP. The laptop was drpped and tends to crash if it is moved. At home I also have and old desktop media system with a pentium 4 and running XP. I use my 26 inch TV as a monitor. I also have an older Tosh laptop with a 17 screen, which runs Vista, which is about 4 times heavier than my new one. I remember buying that because it had an HD DVD player and plenty of ports. About 2 weeks after I bought it, it was announced that HD DVDs were being dropped. Ho Hum. The reason I replaced it was that the DVD/CD was not working and the left hand pointing device button had broken off and it would cost almost as much to repair than buying the new one.

Bying a new laptop didn't go althat smoothly either. The first one I bought, a Packard Bell, did not get get through the setup stage and when I tried rebooting, I got "Disk Error" each time. They replaced that the next day with another Packard bell which seemed to work OK till my daughter called on Skype, and the webcam didn't work. I took that back and they said I would have to call their helpline. They went in to the PC and checked everything, deleted the driver and installed a new one, but couldn't get it to work and gave me a returns no and said I might like to try a different model which is why I ended up with the Tosh. I also got a £92 refund as it was a less expensive computer.

I almost forgot. I also have a Dell netbook running XP which is useless for the net, but I run our church accounts on it and keep on the other XP PCs backups . Very good far taking to meetings. My daughter had this on a contract with her mobile phone company and gave it to me when they upgraded it to a newer model. Church accounts won't run on later than XP.

church has XP, wife has Vista, my laptop is Win7 -- I don't see any real difference between them

Widows 7 is much faster. It also comes with Office 2010 starter. You get Word and Excel starter which are supposed to be cut down versions, but I haven't noticed. You also get ads on the right lower screen which I found annoying at first but now don't notice it.

On my XP computers I use Word Perfect Office 2000 which I prefer, especially Quatro Pro which I prefer to Excel. It is only a small point but you don't have to enter "=" before doing a calculation, which annoys me in Exce and Opoen Office, l as I keep forgetting.

:11backtotopic:

Everything that I've read so far on Windows 8 is that it's great for touchscreens (e.g. tablets). A lot of people seem to be having difficulty using it with a mouse and keyboard.

:11backtotopic:

Everything that I've read so far on Windows 8 is that it's great for touchscreens (e.g. tablets). A lot of people seem to be having difficulty using it with a mouse and keyboard.

I have not had problems so far with my touchpad and keyboard. I certainly can see how it would be even better though if you had a touchscreen. Most of that only applies to the Metro side of WIndows 8. The other side still works pretty much the same way.

Windows 8: Hate It Already? Why Waiting for Windows 9 Won't Help

I had though deeply about going with the cheap upgrade to Windows 8. Yet from what I read that would not be an improvement to Windows 7.

Perhaps if I ran around with one of those little computer things held to my face all the time Windows 8 might be welcomed, but the only thing I use is this desktop.

What's a real bummer with Windows 8 is that there is no upgrade. They only have the complete versions available which stinks. It's not like the old days when you could upgrade for much less. Now they make everyone but the full version.

95 was good but primitive. 98 was a very good OS. Windows Me and 2000 were both terrible.

I also have Ubuntu installed on my computer. I would recommend it to anyone who is tired of Windows. It's free to download too.

I just looked up Ubuntu and it looks great! I've never heard of it before. Thanks for mentioning it I will definitely be trying this out.

I just looked up Ubuntu and it looks great! I've never heard of it before. Thanks for mentioning it I will definitely be trying this out.

If you try it out please let us know the outcome. I've read about it many times but fear I have not enough computer knowledge. Are maybe's its I just don't like change, learning new things. With that said I understand some, maybe most programs I use may not work on it.

If you try it out please let us know the outcome. I've read about it many times but fear I have not enough computer knowledge. Are maybe's its I just don't like change, learning new things. With that said I understand some, maybe most programs I use may not work on it.

I have been running Ubuntu, or a variant, on my laptop now for over two years, and I very much enjoy it.  Be aware that Linux, which is what Ubuntu is, is NOT Windows.  It will not natively run windows programs.  There are emulators if you really must run something Windows.  Although this can be hit or miss sometimes.

I am running Xubuntu right now.  I prefer the minimalistic desktop environment better.

As for me, I was able to find replacement products for all that I did on Windows.  Open Office, Firefox, Chrome, development environments, Bible study software*, all for no cost.

The learning curve for Linux can be a little steep, but for the most part, Ubuntu will run well right out of the box for most people and better for those who like to "tinker".  Linux Mint is a version of Ubuntu and is well suited to new Linux users.

Most distributions of Linux enable you to download a "live CD".  You can use this to boot off of and try out the system before committing.  It will be a bit slower off the CD than a hard drive, but you can get a general idea if it will work on your hardware or not.  Better still, if you can obtain a second hard drive and use it, it will give you a better experience.  

Laptops can be more difficult than desktops, as there sometime can be more proprietary stuff inside.  Wireless network cards can cause issues as well.

Computers (as well as the operating systems) are just tools.  Really it comes down to what works best for you.  Give it a shot.  You never know.

* A small disclaimer:  The Bible study tool I use, Bile Analyzer, is basically free, but considered a commercial item as it is copyrighted and NOT free to modify and distribute, which is what the majority of Linux software is.  There are many modules that are available for Bible Analyzer, many free, many for a small fee, the program itself is free to download.  There are other Bible tools available for no cost what-so-ever.  You will find some commercial software in the Linux world, but not too much.

Edited by brother_mike

I would suggest that if you run lots of windows programs, then stick with windows.

If you use Bible, word processor, email, and browse, then Ubuntu will be fine, and generally run faster.

You may not be able to get your favourite Bible program, but you will find a good one.
If you use openoffice instead of windows office then it was originally made for Linux and will be exactly the same.
Firefox and thunderbird are also Linux originals, so if use those to browse and email, you will be straight up and running.

As mentioned, sometimes graphics and wireless need some tweaking, but they are normally easy to fix.
Have a connector cable for your modem handy just in case. If you can connect by wire, then it is an easy fix.

We have 98, vista, win7, and now win8 - I don't mind any of them - all work ok for what I need, and I easily swap between them all.
We have few too many WIndows programs to run Ubuntu regularly, but I don't mind.it either.

Funny, the one computer I really want to run Ubuntu on has no support for the graphics - so I can't........