• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

Fixation

Pc Vs. Mac

PC vs. Mac  

30 members have voted

1. 1. PC vs. Mac

This isn't a religious debate poll, or anything of the sort. I'm simply trying to identify which computer is either most used or liked, and why.

Please go beyond personal preference (i.e. One OS is better than the other because...)

I've heard MACs are great but I've never had one nor used one. Always been a PC user. I've had an iPhone which I have to say was very nice because it didn't shut down or have errors like my droid did. But I'm back to the droid and I gave my son the iPhone :)

Mac is short for Macintosh, an apple, this is "the fruit" portrayed as the one Satan used to tempt Eve. Stay away from anything called "Mac"

:lol: This is a joke, right?

If anything we should stay away from PC since Bill Gates promotes euthanizing 2/3 of the world.

http://www.wnd.com/2010/03/127346/ Edited by Wilchbla

I have only used a mac once and that was in a lauderette which gave free intenet access while you did you washing, I did not find it any better than a PC, worse, I think. Ap[art from that I have always used PCs apart from once trying Ubuntu as a dual boot, but soon abandoned that.

When I first started working at the university all the computers were Apple but when they upgraded they switched to PCs. At that time the Apple's were easier to use but the new PCs, once figured out, had much more capability; of course much of that was due to them being the new models and the Apples we had being dated by that time.

Other than that, I've always had PCs and they have served me well.

I just bought a Mac and really like it, especially it's ease of use in audio recording and editing using an audia interface. However, transitioning over from a PC can be challenging when trying to transfere all the documents, pictures, video ect. to the Mac. Also, all new software must be bought and gotten used to which is challenging.

Since I posted I have gotten an iPad and really like it, but I would like to see how similar/different/user friendly a Macbook is before buying (not that I can afford it right now, anyway).

I did get a keyboard for my iPad though, although I'm still so comfy with my PC laptop that I still use it, although I busted the hard drive and had to get that fixed.

Since I posted I have gotten an iPad and really like it, but I would like to see how similar/different/user friendly a Macbook is before buying (not that I can afford it right now, anyway).

I did get a keyboard for my iPad though, although I'm still so comfy with my PC laptop that I still use it, although I busted the hard drive and had to get that fixed.

I have a friend with a Macbook Pro with windows 7 loaded on it, and it is fantastic.  Run Mac and PC apps seamlessly. 

Linux... (I currently dual-boot Ubuntu with Windows)

But in all seriousness, I like my Windows...

Macintosh Computers tend to be overpriced for what you get. (PCs of similar specs tend to be a couple of hundred dollars cheaper, last I looked).

Fact is, I grew up on Windows. 

Serious reply:

A PC is highly configurable and doesn't require Windows to operate (although most PCs have Windows). However, a Mac requires an Apple operating system to be present in order to install anything else. In other words, in a Mac the Apple operating system is considered a necessary part of the machine for it to operate. This is one reason why I choose to use PCs.

And some say they grew up with windows, guess that shows my age, windows didn't enter my life until 2002.

And my grandson was saying, "My Papa Jerry did not have a cell phone when he was a little boy, can you imagine anyone not having a cell phone?"

I know little about apples & PC's but I must say from what brosmith says the PC is the best way to go, them you can have the best of windows & apples. Probably spending a lot less money.

As for me I will stay with windows, I do not want to go though another learning experience, this thing does everything I need it to.

Serious reply:

A PC is highly configurable and doesn't require Windows to operate (although most PCs have Windows). However, a Mac requires an Apple operating system to be present in order to install anything else. In other words, in a Mac the Apple operating system is considered a necessary part of the machine for it to operate. This is one reason why I choose to use PCs.

A PC also requires an operating system. Today for most that is Windows, but regardless just like a Mac, it must have an OS. I have been in the IT Business for many years and have explained this to many people.  PC is generally accepted because of cost.  

A Mac has better hardware, generally more reliable and will run Windows and Mac apps.  A PC will only run Windows or DOS.  You can run Linux on a PC or a Mac.  I also grew up using a PC, and have used Microsoft Operating systems since Dos 2.0 and Windows 1.  

Apple's are expensive because they do not allow any other company to manufacture the hardware, as far as I know.  The OS of a Mac has always been easier to use and more reliable than Windows.  

In certain fields each are dominate.  In the home market PC's are popular because of price.  

Edited by The Ohio Patriot

http://www.onlinebaptist.com/home/uploads/monthly_06_2013/post-22214-0-72190400-1370237389.pngPC (laptop) but not with Windows.

Debian Linux 7.0 (wheezy)

xfce window manager

Debian is the 2nd "major" distribution of Linux, release in 1995

why?

Free (no MS tax)

Fully MS compatible office suite (free)

Highly configurable and customizable (simple text files.  The majority of things I run have configurable text files down to the individual user level to over-ride defaults)

Highly versatile (choice of distributions and window managers)

Command line (where one gets the real power of the computer)

Differentiation between cases of letters in file names, etc.(yes, it can be important)

Much more choice in everything one does.

An OS supported by the community where answers can be obtained usually quickly, sometimes from the developers themselves, and at no charge.

No Corporate entity to tell ME how I should experience MY computer (at least for Debian and several others)

Simplicity, style, elegance

Full fledged scripting language

Full development tools (C, C++, PERL,Java, Netbeans, and more) for free

I have not had a MS operating system on my laptop in over 2 years, and have been experimenting in the UNIX like OSes for years (when BSD and Linux were obtained on multiple floppy disks).  I have gone through a couple of distros of Linux lately.  I think I am finally on my last one.  Migrating from one to the other as well as upgrading to a newer version has been ultra easy.

Do I recommend Linux for everyone?  No, of course not.  You will have to want to do a lot yourself, but it pays off big in the long run.  Some get real religious about these things, but a computer (along with the OS) is simply a tool.  Use whatever works for you.  As for me, though, I will never run Windows again.  I do UNIX for a living, which accounts for my preference.

I chose PC as it was the only alternative, but not for the OS (which usually the term PC implies i.e. WinTel)

Edited by brother_mike

I would, but it wont run properly on my netbook.
the graphics drivers are not compatible and I am not smart enough to make them work.
The scripts on the Dell forums don't seem to work......

we run the family laptop on ubuntu.

I know what you mean. I had no choice but to get 'Lubuntu', a lightweight version of Ubuntu, running on my netbook in order to be able to use a piece of software and it took me about one-and-half-days of trial and error before I had it up and running! Problems with graphics drivers, just like you.

With my laptop, the issue has always been my wifi card.  None of the mainstream distros would work with it.  Ubuntu, Xubuntu, and SolydX would right out of the "box".  These are all Debian dirivitives.  When I finally went to true Debian, it did not have the driver on disk, but the install told me exactly what I needed.

PCs and especially laptops and notebooks, etc are using a log of vendor specific hardware these days.  Not as generic as they used to be.  And especially now when vendors are designing the hardware to meet the needs of a few specific OS vendors.

Thanks for the tip about Debian, Brother Mike. Time for me to bring in a shameless name drop--I used to know the Debian project leader socially. Back when I lived about 500 yards from ARM Holdings in Cambridge (UK) I used to bump into Linux developers from time to time, even though I didn't (and don't) work in computing.

I have both, but on my MAC I have a permanent license with VM Ware ($49) so that I run a virtual machine Windows 7 Pro operating system along with Safari.  I just open the one I want to use at that given time.  I get the best of both worlds that way.  The superior graphics design capabilities of the Mac with the MUCH greater software flexibility of the PC.

Bro. Garry

In His will.  By His power.  For His glory.