• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Kj Bible College

• Members

To answer the OP, I can't think of any college that doesn't use one for Greek or Hebrew. I did for Greek. Probably the only where you'd hear the lexicon criticized is Penascola Bible Institute (Peter Ruckman's college). He gets a lot of flack for his positions which I think is based on a misunderstanding of his "advanced revelation" label (well that, and his language LOL). His comments about advanced revelation have to be understood in light of his sense of humor (if you call it that) he does it to mess with his critics heads. But when it comes to defending the KJV, he is still the first person I go to when I need to understand a KJV issue. I just talked to them today about follow ups to James White and they gave me a pretty good website that keeps up to date with current KJV issues http://brandplucked.webs.com/ . Bro Ruckman said he's a Calvinist but is solid on the KJV

• Members

To answer the question directed at me.

God promises to preserve His Word to all Generations. I believe that God has done this through the KJV. I do not consider MV's the preserved Word of God as they come from corrupted Greek/Hebrew manuscripts. I use Greek and Hebrew helps because when you translate from one language to another, things are lost in translation. Just as the 16th century English to modern English has significant changes in the meaning of the words.

If you read simple verses like John 3:16 in Engllish, Spanish and French, you will find that they don't all say exactly the same words. We just had someone sing in Spanish at our church and had someone translate. There are Spanish Words that don't translate well to English and vice versa. The same is true with Greek to English. There are Greek Words that do not translate well to English. There are Greek Words that were tranliterated instead of translated.

I do believe that a modern version is needed, but will never happen because those who are capable of doing the translation work, are not willing and those who are willing, use the corrupted manuscripts.

I consider Peter Ruckman's position on the KJV complete Heresy. The KJV is preserved Word of God. God did not inspire the translators in the 1600's when they translated the Bible into 17th Century English. I do not find him funny. I find him to be a false teacher.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

The lexicon that I used at PCC was written by J. Gresham Machen. I don't know if they still use it or not. I do believe that it is helpfull to look up the words in the Greek or Hebrew to get a better understanding of what the word means. There are some great computer programs out there to help. The one that I use and my dad also uses is E-sword.

• 2 years later...
  • Members

At KJB Only Bible Colleges do they teach the student to use lexicons, & such, or to trust the words use in the KJV of the Bible?

I would like the answer to come from someone that has attended a KJB only college.

​I went to Heartland Baptist Bible College and took some of the Greek classes. We were taught how to use lexicons, and how to study the Greek text etc. We were also taught why the King's Bible Translators chose their particular words based on context of the whole counsel of God. 

The major difference between our historically biblical translation style and the critical translations style of today is we take our translation principles directly from unchanging scripture while the ever changing critics make theirs up from secular "best industry practices". They are ever changing how they translate. So while we can have a one and done bible. They never will because their bible translation criteria is ever changing.