• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

John81

Backslidden

Please pray for Dave, he's backslidden and it breaks my heart.

Back in the late 80s and early 90s this young man (he was young then...I was younger then too!) was such a close friend, such a sound, biblically living Christian. We attended university and even worked at the same job for awhile. Much of our free time was spent together in church, Bible study and watching the Chicago Bears when we had the chance (he was a huge Chicago Bears fan).

Dave was transferred and I figured I might never see him again. Then about a year later I was transferred to the same location. There may have been a few slight hints of something being different at that time, or maybe not. We were only at the same site again for about 10 months and I moved on, he later moved to the upper midwest.

We had some brief contact via email and he moved to Arizona to help his mom and I moved back home to help my family. It was several years later before we "met" again online. He was very limited in any talk involving Christianity and then stopped responding to me at all.

I know he's going to wicked rock concerts and hanging out with the lost and a couple of "Christians" of the heavy metal CCM sort.

Anyway, that's just a little background. The main point is God brought this young man, he's younger than me by half a dozen or more years, into my life just when I so needed a solid Christian friend. For his young age he was so grounded in the Word and he helped me grow in the Word and become steady in my Christian walk. Never would I have thought he would backslide as he has. In the late 80s/early 90s his faith was central in his life and all aspects of his life revolved around Christ. Now he's been backslidden for at least a few years that I know of and likely several years. It seems the only acknowledgement of Christ on his part now is on the sidelines and is mostly on the "edgy" or "wishy-washy" side of "Christianity".

Please pray the Lord would work in Dave's heart, mind and life in order to bring him back to truly following Christ. May he once again know the joy of his salvation and walk with the Lord.

Will certainly be praying for Dave. We cannot lose our salvation but only obedience to the Lord will allow us to have the joy we should have in our salvation. Will be praying for Dave to once again be obedient to the Lord.

I understand.

A pastor brought me back to the Lord in the mid 80's, he is kind of special. But he to has turned away from God.

Some years back the pastor he surrendered to preach under died, he had expressed much love for this man, yet during his dying days he would not visit him.

The thing is such things can happen to any of us.

1Co 10:12 Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall.

Prayers

I understand.

A pastor brought me back to the Lord in the mid 80's, he is kind of special. But he to has turned away from God.

Some years back the pastor he surrendered to preach under died, he had expressed much love for this man, yet during his dying days he would not visit him.

The thing is such things can happen to any of us.

1Co 10:12 Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall.

Prayers

You are so right Jerry. Walking true with Christ requires effort. If we slack off, think we can coast a bit or just relax for a moment we will find ourselves drifting from Him.

Some years ago the Lord really pressed this verse into me and I try to remain mindful of it lest I become one who falls away.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." Proverbs 4:23