• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

RSS Robot

Contemporary Christian Music And Homosexuality

Homosexuality is a rapidly growing trend within the CCM movement. It is not a new thing, but formerly it was fairly hidden.

In the 1997 edition of
The Gospel Sound, which first appeared in 1971, Anthony Heilbut said, “The gospel church has long been a refuge for gays and lesbians, some of whom grew up to be among the greatest singers and musicians.”

In 1998 gospel star Kirk Franklin said that “homosexuality ... is a problem today in gospel music--a major concern--and everybody knows it” (
Church Boy, pp. 49, 50).

More recently Douglas Harrison, a homosexual who grew up Southern Baptist, said, “... you can’t swing a Dove Award without hitting upon evidence of the longstanding, deep-set presence of queer experience in, and its influence on, Christian music culture at all levels” (“Come Out from among Them,”
Religion Dispatches, April 30, 2010).

James Cleveland’s (the “King of Gospel”) homosexuality was an “open secret” and he died of AIDS.

For_Those_Tears_I_Died
Marsha Stevens, who wrote the popular song “For Those Tears I Died” and has been called “the mother of Contemporary Christian Music,” was one of the first to come out of the closet. In 1979 she divorced her husband of seven years by whom she had two children, because she had “fallen in love” with a woman. Stevens and her lesbian partner formed Balm Ministries (Born Again Lesbian Music) through which they produce praise and worship albums and conduct training seminars. Christian Century called her “a Jesus-loving, Bible-believing, God-fearing lesbian Christian.”

Stevens’ ministry is recommended by Mark Powell, Professor of New Testament, Trinity Lutheran Seminary, and the author of
An Encyclopedia of Contemporary Christian Music. He states: “The Mother of Contemporary Christian Music continues to capture hearts for Jesus. Argue interpretations of Scripture and debate the ethics and origins of homosexuality all you want--no one with sensitivity to things of the Spirit can deny God is using Marsha Stevens to bring the love and mercy of Christ to people whom God apparently has not forgotten.”

View the full article

Interesting. So it's Contemporary Christian Music shunned by IFB? I have heard a number of times when the preacher said to stay away from worldly music. What defines worldly music within the IFB?

Interesting. So it's Contemporary Christian Music shunned by IFB? I have heard a number of times when the preacher said to stay away from worldly music. What defines worldly music within the IFB?

Well, just about anyting on your radio dial and this CCM music too. Southern Gospel and any others who yoke with them too.

Brother David Cloud's warning ministry is a good teaching aid and his book store has many great books for you Ma'am. I encourage you to sign up for his daily e-mail feeds too.

Come to think of it, another great free monthly e-publication is the Baptist Challenge which can be had here when you click "hot off the press" :

http://www.baptistchallenge.org/

Lots of great reading and learning to be had from this site along with your King James Bible!

CCM is a music that is full of emotions, 20JC. Not the kind of emotion that comes about due to words that bring a worshipful spirit to the heart. But the kind of emotion that centers on our FEELINGS. The kind of music that one could call "Jesus is my boyfriend" type music. Yes, good music talks about loving God and His loving us - but there is a difference.

There are several IFB churches that use CCM. Some use the lyrics accompanied only by piano or sometimes an accoustic guitar. A few IFB churches use CCM as it is done by a CCM singer/band.

It seems most IFB churches still oppose CCM but the trend at the moment is going the other way, with more IFB churches adopting CCM in one form or another. Even some IFB churches associated with the Sword of the Lord crowd are moving in the direction of adopting CCM into their churches.

There are several IFB churches that use CCM. Some use the lyrics accompanied only by piano or sometimes an accoustic guitar. A few IFB churches use CCM as it is done by a CCM singer/band.

It seems most IFB churches still oppose CCM but the trend at the moment is going the other way, with more IFB churches adopting CCM in one form or another. Even some IFB churches associated with the Sword of the Lord crowd are moving in the direction of adopting CCM into their churches.

They are wrong for doing so. Once a church has adopted CCM it will continue down the wrong path.

They are wrong for doing so. Once a church has adopted CCM it will continue down the wrong path.

That's a debate that's going on in IFB churches across the land and it has yet to be resolved. We have seen from some of the other articles by Brother Cloud that some IFB churches are adopting CCM and being supported by other IFBs in their decision while at the same time there are some IFBs who denounce this. There will likely be a split among IFBs on this issue at some point.

I been to a few churches that used CCM and they used traditional music also, its filter through the Pastoral offices and oked by the pastors. I am finding some songs fits my life being I was sucidial and over came it , one of them I learned on the way home this passed weekend Redemded by big daddy weeve, I am not liking all of their music but that song really did a number me.

That's a debate that's going on in IFB churches across the land and it has yet to be resolved. We have seen from some of the other articles by Brother Cloud that some IFB churches are adopting CCM and being supported by other IFBs in their decision while at the same time there are some IFBs who denounce this. There will likely be a split among IFBs on this issue at some point.

Other churches may debate the topic but certainly not my church. :)

The trend for every church that adopts CCM is to move away from the Gospel, preaching on sin and repentence, soul winning and high, traditional standards in favor of feel good rock-n-roll concerts. The pulpits are replaced with stages, the choir and piano is replaced by a rock band. Sunday best becomes come as you are, flip flops, shorts, tattoos, tight clothing, etc.

IFB churches that adopted CCM 10-20 years ago have dropped the baptist name, their seats are full of goats, there's little emphasis on missions or outside soul-winning and the number of false conversions is astounding. But it's hard to prove because they don't have memberships either!

I been to a few churches that used CCM and they used traditional music also, its filter through the Pastoral offices and oked by the pastors.

They and you are wrong for listening to it. Don't forget the doctrine of separation. The CCM crowd doesn't like the IFB, they love the world and the things of the world, are ecumenical and actually write songs to get you bridge the divide to create the end times church. Beware Ma'am.

IFB churches that adopted CCM 10-20 years ago have dropped the baptist name, their seats are full of goats, there's little emphasis on missions or outside soul-winning and the number of false conversions is astounding. But it's hard to prove because they don't have memberships either!

That is right. I come from both CCM churches and those going in that direction. I have seen the Baptist name dropped after CCM music was introduced and soul winning was given a backseat. Separation was completely forgotten and even Catholics were treated as Christians.. The churches moved in a more self centered direction and there was no turning back. If anyone's church is going in this direction I would highly recommend talking to the pastor and if the warnings going unheeded start looking for somewhere else to attend. Edited by MatthewDiscipleOfGod

My biggest problem with CCM is that it's just not very good music period. Even by the standards of secular music. I also can't take the constant repeating of a praise over and over like they tend to do. I want to be edified by my music but it would be nice to learn something from it too (Col. 3:16).

I been to a few churches that used CCM and they used traditional music also, its filter through the Pastoral offices and oked by the pastors. I am finding some songs fits my life being I was sucidial and over came it , one of them I learned on the way home this passed weekend Redemded by big daddy weeve, I am not liking all of their music but that song really did a number me.

I found 3 songs entitled:

I'm Redeemed by Joseph C. Fisher

Redeemed by Fanny J Crosby

Redeemed by D. W. Whittle

Is the one you speak of one of these? The only one I ever remember singing is the one by Fanny Crosby.

That is right. I come from both CCM churches and those going in that direction. I have seen the Baptist name dropped after CCM music was introduced and soul winning was given a backseat. Separation was completely forgotten and even Catholics were treated as Christians.. The churches moved in a more self centered direction and there was no turning back. If anyone's church is going in this direction I would highly recommend talking to the pastor and if the warnings going unheeded start looking for somewhere else to attend.

I wholly agree. There are a few that turns back, but very few, usually they keep going down the liberal trail.

Seven words sung/repeated 11times. Typical of CCM and other worldly music.

Ahhhhh, I see. I don't like songs like that either. Back in the 70s, before I was born again, I used to listen to the local pop/rock station on the radio and there were certain groups which would drag a song on and on by repeating the chorus or part of the chorus of the song over and over again. I found that to be so annoying, pointless and ruined even songs I might otherwise have liked.

I found 3 songs entitled:

I'm Redeemed by Joseph C. Fisher

Redeemed by Fanny J Crosby

Redeemed by D. W. Whittle

Is the one you speak of one of these? The only one I ever remember singing is the one by Fanny Crosby.

The singer of the song redemmed wrote it because of his experience .
Seems like all I can see was the struggle
Haunted by ghosts that lived in my past
Bound up in shackles of all my failures
Wondering how long is this gonna last
Then You look at this prisoner and say to me “son
stop fighting a fight that’s already been won”
I am redeemed, You set me free
So I’ll shake off theses heavy chains
Wipe away every stain now I’m not who I used to be
I am redeemed
All my life I have been called unworthy
Named by the voice of my shame and regret
But when I hear You whisper, “Child lift up your head”
I remember oh God, You’re not done with me yet
I don’t have to be the old man inside of me
Cause his day is long dead and gone
I’ve got a new name, a new life I’m not the same
And a hope that will carry me home

I laughed at the 7/11 churches deal thing that is a laugh , I agree there are some songs that is sung and the lyrics are repeated but, what about the .B.I.B.L.E song ? Its repeated

I am very careful right now, I look at the lyrics and its well in the truth we allow it in our home. I usually listen to CCM like Newsboys, Big Daddy Weave, Matthew West, Chris Tomlin and alike while walking with my zune player, I need fast songs to walk too.

The lyrics are the least of the poison you're feeding your body. You admittedly use it to feed your flesh, the rythym takes precedence in the structure of all wordly music and in this case you use it in the same manner as one who dances in a night club. God's proper order for music is Melody, Harmony and Rythym. Satan's is the exact opposite.

The next problem is the rejection of separation with these heretical, apostate bands. Ever read who their mentors and idols are?

Might I make a book recommendation for you Ma'am?

http://www.majestymusic.com/c-90-reference-books-dvds.aspx

Music in the Balance by Frank Garlock.