• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

2Tim215

Repentance?

I have seen on a number of threads here this "repentance unto salvation" terminolgy used.
I am curious as to the doctrine behind this and how many people in the IB churches ascribe to this doctrine?

I have seen on a number of threads here this "repentance unto salvation" terminolgy used.
I am curious as to the doctrine behind this and how many people in the IB churches ascribe to this doctrine?

Below this heading on the web page it sends you to there's several articles, one entitled, What Happened to the Doctrine of Repentance? They might help yoy with this.

Salvation - Repentance - Eternal Security

Thanks Jerry. I read it but it's a bit flowery for me so let me see if I get this right?

Is he meaning that in order to be saved we must repent from ALL our sins? Or is it that we acknowledge our sinfull nature and acknowledge that this sinfull nature seperates us from God and that without Christ's atoning sacrifice can not have this sinfull nature cleansed and removed?

Thanks Jerry. I read it but it's a bit flowery for me so let me see if I get this right?

Is he meaning that in order to be saved we must repent from ALL our sins? Or is it that we acknowledge our sinfull nature and acknowledge that this sinfull nature seperates us from God and that without Christ's atoning sacrifice can not have this sinfull nature cleansed and removed?

My opinion, without repentance one cannot be saved, repentance happens in a person very quickly, it is not a long drawn out process, I say that for many that leaves out repentance & act if it’s long drawn out process with one turning from sin, to God, as if we will never sin again. Even newly saved people sin, even saved people that have been saved for years still sin. Yet once we are saved we do have that Holy Spirit within us that gives us the desire to do those things which pleases God.

When you hit that moment in time of repentance, your admitting you’re a sinner, that you’ve been God’s enemy, that God is right, those things He calls sins, are sins, that He is right & you were wrong & Repentance does not mean you will never sin again.

As I have said, & many others, if a person has experienced being saved they know it, they know that they have repented asking for forgives, they know during the time they were accepting Jesus as Savior there was many changes in their heart, & their mind.

I understand some peoples struggle with repentance & being saved, & usually its because someone has taught them getting saved has nothing to do with repenting.

Now, I do not claim to have explained this in a great manner, there is others that can do much better than I. I suggest you keep this on your mind, that is in the back of your mind, as you study. From time to time you will come across verses as you stdy that pertains to this.

It's interesting that the Gospel of John does not use the word one time.

Paul uses the word repent (repentance, repented) in his epistles a total of nine times and eight of those are in reference to those already saved.

Edited by Wilchbla

It's interesting that the Gospel of John does not use the word one time.

Our Lord Jesus Christ used it a couple of times though!

Repentance for salvation in the Bible means admitting to having broken God’s laws and expressing sorrow. Repentance in the Bible means to turn around and change direction, it means to surrender to God’s rule and receive Christ as one’s only Savior. Finally, repentance is not a change of life but of the mind about God and sin that results in a change of life. It is not a two step or long drawn out process. Salvation happens instantly, the moment one turns from sin and puts their trust, their faith, in Jesus Christ.

Remember Acts 20:21 - "...repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ." Edited by swathdiver

OK. Having read all the above posts it seems, if I understand correctly, that we are all on the same page concerning biblical repentance for salvation ie - the admission and AWARENESS of ones sinfull nature that seperates us from the holiness of God until cleansed through Christs atonment on the cross.

So it's NOT an admission of every sin past present and future as some teach biblical repentance to be. We do not have to "confess" all sins in order to be saved but rather through preaching have been made aware of our sinful nature and fallen state and how utterly incabable we are of turning to God without Jesus.

Our Lord Jesus Christ used it a couple of times though!

True, but I think some of the brethren are in danger of turning the gospel into a works based gospel. This is what Lordship Salvation teaching does at the end of the day. The Gospel of John is usually the first book that comes to mind when presenting the gospel yet the word is not used once in the entire book.

I feel a bit confused so forgive me if I’m repeating something already said about repentance. When I think of repentance I think about such things as remorse and shame. Is what you are saying that one who is saved does not have to repent? I’m sure I’m misunderstanding.

For example if you do something like hurt another person intentionally I would assume one should repent of that action. They should be ashamed and have accountability for their actions.

We all agree that sin is what separates us from God. I believe that the Bible teaches that repentance is necessary because if someone is not willing to acknowledge their sin, how could they truly accept Christ in their heart? What I mean is, how can someone recognize their need for salvation without first acknowledging that they have a sin problem that only Christ can cure? In several places in the New Testament we see the call to repent.

While only belief is required for salvation, I do not see how one cannot repent once they see their sinful state.

I've heard that repentance is like a byproduct of true salvation. One that is truly saved will repent of his/her past, and also feel conviction when he/she is doing something sinful (or about to do something sinful).

If I understand this correctly, this is what would separate the truly saved from those who go through "quick prayerism/salvation" without repentance.

While only belief is required for salvation, I do not see how one cannot repent once they see their sinful state.

We're human we sin as to why I imagined one who have continuous need to repent.

I feel a bit confused so forgive me if I’m repeating something already said about repentance. When I think of repentance I think about such things as remorse and shame. Is what you are saying that one who is saved does not have to repent? I’m sure I’m misunderstanding.

For example if you do something like hurt another person intentionally I would assume one should repent of that action. They should be ashamed and have accountability for their actions.

You'll find your Christian life will be full of repenting and confessing. You just have to be careful not to make it sound like works are required for salvation. Some of the brethren border on this when they start talking about rrepentance. We are saved from our sins. God pulled us out of our sinfulness through conviction and conversion and translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son. Yet some folks make it sound like we have to help God out by turning from our wicked works. You'll find though that this will be a lifetime venture. The deadly trap of Lordship Salvation, and I've seen it first hand, is that every time you sin or relapse into some bad habit you already repented of you'll begin to doubt whether you were saved to begin with. Before you know it you'll be trusting in your own good works as to whether you are saved or not instead of whether you are trusting in the blood of Christ to get you into heaven. Next thing you'll begin to wonder if you are one of the elect (Lordship Salvation stems from Calvinism) and you'll lose all joy and assurance of salvation and be half out of your mind. Finally, you'll say, "forget it, I don't care, If I'm predestined to hell I might as well live it up". I've seen this happen. Edited by Wilchbla

My earlier post had to deal with repentence as regards to salvation. That is a one time event.

When we sin or harbor sin after salvation, it breaks our fellowship with God and He will not hear our prayers until we repent of that sin.