• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Baptist Bride

• Members

Can you please tell me what you know about what Baptist Briders believe?

They believe that the true church is the Baptist church and especially if it is in reference to their local church. If you aren't a baptist you may be in heaven but you won't be part of the bride. I guess you'll be a servant at the marriage supper. So men like Martin Luther and John Wesley will be serving dinner to the fat lady in the choir who loves to gossip. They reject the teaching of a "universal invisible church" i.e. that the true church is made up of all believers no matter what denomination. This teaching stems from an overzealousness to get Christians to join their particular local church. Also, if you haven't been baptized in their particular church but maybe in another denomination then you need to be rebaptized since to be a member of the true church (i.e. their local church) you need to be baptized within that church.

Honestly, this doctrine always makes me chuckle cause it's one of the silliest ever. Edited by Wilchbla

• Members

They believe that the true church is the Baptist church and especially if it is in reference to their local church. If you aren't a baptist you may be in heaven but you won't be part of the bride. I guess you'll be a servant at the marriage supper. So men like Martin Luther and John Wesley will be serving dinner to the fat lady in the choir who loves to gossip. They reject the teaching of a "universal invisible church" i.e. that the true church is made up of all believers no matter what denomination. This teaching stems from an overzealousness to get Christians to join their particular local church. Also, if you haven't been baptized in their particular church but maybe in another denomination then you need to be rebaptized since to be a member of the true church (i.e. their local church) you need to be baptized within that church.

Honestly, this doctrine always makes me chuckle cause it's one of the silliest ever.

Gosh sounds very simular to what the LDS/Mormon church believes.

• Moderators

We don't see it too much up here in Alberta either - or maybe it's just that those churches that do believe it keep to themselves! Our difficulty is with modernism and Calvinism creeping into our churches... :(

• Members

We don't see it too much up here in Alberta either - or maybe it's just that those churches that do believe it keep to themselves! Our difficulty is with modernism and Calvinism creeping into our churches... :(

Oh... That's spreading around here as well! You don't know one until they'll show you their statement of faith.
You'll catch the difference.

But this Brider thing.... IT'S almost hard to catch...
You don't usually ask these kinds of things when you examine a good church.. UNLESS... You really are gifted to discern spirits...
Thanks to a friend... He pointed this one out right away...
If you remember him he was here before... His user name was "No Nicolaitans."

He told me about this Brider thing. If he hadn't, I might not even research what this is. Edited by Celina Capalad

• Members

I thought it was just me but I do notice there are a few IFB churches that keep off the radar a great deal. The one I just recently found in my area I found by chance. When I engaged in FB dialog I didn't get an immediate response and when I liked their church page they immediately inquired how I found them. They are small but still there are many that are listed or even have websites. I found this via another site somewhere in their small print!

Will be interesting when I go hopefully this Sunday.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

As with most of these things there are shades.
I am not, but I know some who call themselves briders.
Normally the division at the marriage supper is along the lines of the bride and the invited guests, so "non-baptists" will not be servants at the table but guests, eating at the same table and enjoying the same "food".

There are some who go to extremes of saying you can only be saved in a baptist church (IFB even!), but I have never met one face to face.

Local church is the only church.mentioned in the Bible, but that has nothing to do with Baptist bride in fact.

Edited by DaveW

• Members

As repungnant as the Brider or Landmarkism position to me is, be careful that you do not label all local church only folks in that group. Most advocates of the local church only persuasion who are opposed to the idea of a universal body of Christ are not in fact Briders.
Even some who believe that John the Baptist started the 1st Baptist Church of Jerusalem may not hold to the eschatological twistings of the Brider group.
I hold to the Body of Christ being the saved throughout all the church age. I am a strong proponent of the local church having started 5 by Gods grace. But of the 112 or so references of the word ëkklesia in the New Testament, I think we would have a hard time forcing 5 and perhaps 6 of them into a local church framework, therefore I do in fact see a universal (though I prefer the more Biblical term Body of Christ, or the church which is His Body) idea to the assembly.
Not all local church only advocates are Briders, in fact many are not.

God bless,
calvary

• 2 years later...
  • Members

You must be a born again (saved by grace through faith believer).

You must be Baptized by a a born again Baptist (maybe only a pastor?) in good standing within the Baptist Church.

Just a couple I'm aware of.

Where is that site for the 'free degree' from the school on the West Coast, they have very similar requirements.

• Moderators

You must be a born again (saved by grace through faith believer).

You must be Baptized by a a born again Baptist (maybe only a pastor?) in good standing within the Baptist Church.

Just a couple I'm aware of.

Where is that site for the 'free degree' from the school on the West Coast, they have very similar requirements.

Well, I wholeheartedly agree with number 1-this is the only requirement to be a Christian and gain eternal life.

Number 2, well, in a sense I agree with this as an act of obedience, but not for salvation. I would say, in some cases, a Baptist would be best, but really, it is the mode that is important, by immersion, in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost, according to Jesus' command, And it must be done by a pastor, OR someone who has been ordained the authority to do so. We see no other example in scripture. Why would I generally agree with a Baptist? Because some others will baptize by sprinkling, and some will immerse, but add baptism to salvation, rather than an act of obedience AFTER salvation. Generally, IFB's baptize correctly.

As for the Baptist Briders, a big one that I am aware of are the MIssionary Baptists, who tend toward briderism. As a 30 year IFB, I have never been part of one that believed such. 

Universal church-I do believe that there is clearly taught a universal church, made up of all believers of all times, but it can't rightly be considered a church yet, as a church is only a church when they are assembled together-thus, the universal church will be fully realized not until ALL who are to be saved are gathered. Otherwise, 99% of the references to a 'church' in the BIble refer to the local New Testament church.