• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

Fixation

"food" For Thought

How well is your diet? Your spiritual diet, that is.

My church was hosting a pastor's conference and one of the pastors preached out of Ezekiel 3. This portion really stuck out to me and I just wanted to share it.

Ezek 3:1 Moreover he said unto me, Son of man, eat that thou findest; eat this roll, and go speak unto the house of Israel.
Ezek 3:2 So I opened my mouth, and he caused me to eat that roll.
Ezek 3:3 And he said unto me, Son of man, cause thy belly to eat, and fill thy bowels with this roll that I give thee. Then did I eat it; and it was in my mouth as honey for sweetness.

Before God sent Ezekiel out to preach, he had him eat the scroll, God's Word. How often do we as Christians get so wrapped up in missions, soul winning, day to day activities, that we neglect to spend time in the Word of God?

How often do we "starve" ourselves, or maybe just "skip a meal?" I find it fascinating, and praise God, that we can look at our Bible and see for ourselves what we need to do in order to effectively serve God!

Notice that Ezekiel had to first eat the scroll. He had to allow God's Word to "fill his stomach" before going out. Another way to put it, he had to consume it. And what did Ezekiel have to say about consuming the scroll? "...Then did I eat it; and it was in my mouth as honey for sweetness."

We see in 2 Timothy in verse 17 of chapter 3 why we need to know the Scriptures: "That the man of God may be perfect; throughly furnished unto all good works."

In order to stay properly "fed" we must develop faithful discipline and maintain a denial of self. So I ask you again: How well is your diet?

No doubt we need to feed upon the Word of God daily, as well as spending time each day with the Lord in prayer.

For many years now I get up early in the morning and read the Word before breakfast or other things. That has been a great blessing and I wish I had begun doing that many years sooner.

It's easy to let the things of the world, like sports, TV shows, hobbies and such take up our time. Even things that may be good, like family time, helping out at the homeless shelter and such can get in the way if we allow them to keep us from the Word.

Many people claim they don't have time to read the Word. They can't seem to find even 15 or 20 minutes a day to read the Word. Yet if asked about what they do each day there are typically many things they make sure they have time for, such as their favorite TV shows, a night out with their friends, going hunting or to a quilt show. Most seriously don't get that they are putting these things ahead of time with God's Word. I've been there. That's why I finally determined that I was going make time in my schedual and fit reading the Word of God into my day first thing. Whether I read the Word more later in the day, which I typically do, not matter what I've started my day in the Word and have fed my spirit.