• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Question - Are Baptists Protestants?

Guest Guest

• Members

Not hear say or gossip. I have read a lot of baptist history. My ancestors became members of one of the first baptist churches in England. They came from the dissenters who were exiled in the Netherlands and returnd to England in 1640. and shortly after became baptists. When they were in thin the e Netherlands, they did not allow any translations of the scriptures, Preachers had to preach from the scriptures in the original languages. Services started about 8.00 am till noon or later.

• Members

That's why the name Baptist doesn't mean what it once did and one has to explain it. There are hundreds of Baptist churches across this country alone. Those Baptist churches range from traditional IFB to Reformed Baptist to any variety of liberal and out there Baptists.

The two biggest, most popular Baptist church in this area have both gone soft. Both dropped the KJB, one has a woman associate pastor, both dropped standards of dress, one uses virtually any form of CCM while the other uses only the milder forms, both are more world-friendly.

There are also some Charismatic Baptists and a small Baptist church of elderly folks who want their church to die with them.

The IFB churches in this area have took a turn to the Left with all but one having dropped the KJB and the one that still uses the KJB also refers to MVs now. Several of the IFB churches are using CCM, some are yoking with all the other local churches for "community service and outreach", standards of dress have dropped in all but one, the preaching has become more "friendly", the women are now more outspoken and taking over positions the men should hold.

For some reason, most often the first thing someone says when I say I'm Baptist is something about the SBC. No, I'm not Southern Baptist and no I don't agree with everything the SBC says or does.

By what you say, being a Christian means little anymore either.

Yes, Baptist means a lot, I'm one by choice, & I would not be part of a nondenominational church.

The Baptist are nothing like many other denominations, each church's Head is Christ, independent of all other Baptist Churches. We are nothing like most protestant churches, for most protestant churches do not heed the Holy Scriptures having only the Bible as its guide.

Here is some study helps, that will help you with this matter.

• Members

By what you say, being a Christian means little anymore either.

Yes, Baptist means a lot, I'm one by choice, & I would not be part of a nondenominational church.

The Baptist are nothing like many other denominations, each church's Head is Christ, independent of all other Baptist Churches. We are nothing like most protestant churches, for most protestant churches do not heed the Holy Scriptures having only the Bible as its guide.

Here is some study helps, that will help you with this matter.

I understand all that, what I'm pointing out is that since there are so many different type of Baptist churches out there, simply saying one is a Baptist doesn't mean anything anymore. Most often when I tell someone I'm a Baptist the first thing they think is that I'm Southern Baptist, part of the SBC.

In other parts of the country when Baptist is mentioned some people think other things.

The only point I was making is that one has to explain what they mean by Baptist because it doesn't mean the same thing to everyone since there are so many different Baptist churches.

Ironically, non-denominational churches are set up as independent churches too. Some, just like Baptist churches, are very biblically sound while others hold to various other positions.

The term Christian by itself also requires explanation. Today one can say they are a Christian and it might mean they are Roman Catholic, Anglican, Methodist, Baptist, Seventh Day Adventist, or some other.

We currently attend a non-denominational church, though not of the more modern variety, this church was formed as a non-denominational church in the 1800s and is far more biblically sound than any of the Baptist churches within over a 60 mile radius, otherwise we would be in a Baptist church. The last really biblically sound Baptist church, which was very close to our home, closed its doors and that's why we had to look for a new church home. It was very sad to see what had happened to the other area Baptist churches when I went looking for a new church home.

In any event, Baptist means something, but it doesn't mean the same thing to everyone and requires explaining.

• Members

That's why the name Baptist doesn't mean what it once did and one has to explain it. There are hundreds of Baptist churches across this country alone. Those Baptist churches range from traditional IFB to Reformed Baptist to any variety of liberal and out there Baptists.

The two biggest, most popular Baptist church in this area have both gone soft. Both dropped the KJB, one has a woman associate pastor, both dropped standards of dress, one uses virtually any form of CCM while the other uses only the milder forms, both are more world-friendly.

There are also some Charismatic Baptists and a small Baptist church of elderly folks who want their church to die with them.

The IFB churches in this area have took a turn to the Left with all but one having dropped the KJB and the one that still uses the KJB also refers to MVs now. Several of the IFB churches are using CCM, some are yoking with all the other local churches for "community service and outreach", standards of dress have dropped in all but one, the preaching has become more "friendly", the women are now more outspoken and taking over positions the men should hold.

For some reason, most often the first thing someone says when I say I'm Baptist is something about the SBC. No, I'm not Southern Baptist and no I don't agree with everything the SBC says or does.

We don't have SBC of IFB. We have General Baptists, members of the BU, and usually liberal, Grace Baptist, formerly Strict Baptists and Gospel Standard, Gadsbyites who are Strict and Particular Baptists (strict calvinists). The latter are the only ones who are likely to use the KJB. The only other church I know in our area who is likely to use KJV are the Exclusive Brethren (Taylorites) in Canterbury. I have just thought of another one, the Brethren in Faversham. Last I heard, there were only two couples there. They are supposed to be open Brethren, but tend towards exclusives.

• Members

Not hear say or gossip. I have read a lot of baptist history. My ancestors became members of one of the first baptist churches in England. They came from the dissenters who were exiled in the Netherlands and returnd to England in 1640. and shortly after became baptists. When they were in thin the e Netherlands, they did not allow any translations of the scriptures, Preachers had to preach from the scriptures in the original languages. Services started about 8.00 am till noon or later.

What you stated proves nothing.

• Members

I rather someone be Baptist then the other denominations that is leading to people to Hell with the term Religion.

In recent years nondenominational churches seems to say, we do not take a stand, & we are not connected to anyone. This became popular back in the 90’s for many churches that had Baptist on their church building, & many of them took the name Baptist off, for they feared it would offend many if they though that church stood on the traditional teachings of Baptist Churches. Which the traditional teachings of Baptist Churches is nothing but true teachings right out of the Bible.

Usually a nondenominational church is made of of many different people that believes as many of the churches that claims to be of a certain denominations, claiming unity that really is not present. A good example of this is what the Methodist did a few years back in a nation wide effort to increase their numbers with TV advertising. Their add went something like this, please come visit us, no matter what you believe we will not offend you nor cause you to have any convictions. To give up any part of true teaching in order to gain numbers, larger collection pots, is not following Jesus.

Another example of a local nondenominational church, they have people attending that believes as the Baptist, the Methodist, the Holiness, the Pentecostal, the Assembly of God, & even have one husband & wife that believes as the churches of Christ. The pastor of this church will not preach anything that may offend any of these people. If you asked different members of this church how a person is saved, you would get several different answers depending on the church they are actually affiliated with, & the only thing most of them would do is give a person a false hope. The pastor preaches one is saved by grace, yet he does not say one is saved only by grace though faith in Jesus Christ, not of works, not of self, it is a gift.

If I moved to a place that did not have a suitable church, I would enlist someone to help me, starting a real church. And even if we only had one or two members, that would be better than being part of such a church I’ve described above. Truth is what counts, not numbers, besides there's a lot fewer Christian than many people believes there are.

Mt 18:20 For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.

• Members

My husband and I 10 years ago got married into a non demnionational Bible Church, they taught the truth the best they can and we loved the church. With that church I was able to attend a ladies overnight at the church called fall fling , that night we played games , learned about the Bible and did the white elephant gift exchange and crafts , then we had a great breakfast and so on, it was a blast , I wish I can get a church to do this for the ladies. Its was very fun but other then that back on topic. I am tired of people calling non Catholics protestants and we are Bible Believers.

• Members

My husband and I 10 years ago got married into a non demnionational Bible Church, they taught the truth the best they can and we loved the church. With that church I was able to attend a ladies overnight at the church called fall fling , that night we played games , learned about the Bible and did the white elephant gift exchange and crafts , then we had a great breakfast and so on, it was a blast , I wish I can get a church to do this for the ladies. Its was very fun but other then that back on topic. I am tired of people calling non Catholics protestants and we are Bible Believers.

You have to find what church you can. I'm not sure where you are from but in many parts of this country there are very few IFB churches. Some of the brethren in the South don't seem to understand this. Some will tell you to move which is impossible for many to do. The only other option is not to go to church at all which is ridiculous.

• Members

You have to find what church you can. I'm not sure where you are from but in many parts of this country there are very few IFB churches. Some of the brethren in the South don't seem to understand this. Some will tell you to move which is impossible for many to do. The only other option is not to go to church at all which is ridiculous.

Yes , where I am orginally from its more Catholic churches and Lutheren and alike , there are IFB Baptist churches in the area as well they are slowly migrating up in that area as well.