• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Question - Are Baptists Protestants?

Guest Guest

• Members

Yes.

Perhaps not today, but the baptists have in the past always protested Roman Catholicism, both before and after the reformation, which was why they were persecuted. I read somewhere that the word protestant, came from a word that originally inferred "witness." Today, (most) baptists ignore RCism.

• Members

Baptist are not Protestants in the sense that they came out of the Protestant Reformation. Baptists have been around well before the Reformation. They were not always know as Baptists. The name Baptist and the other names we have been given have always been given by our enemies. There are several good Baptist history books that go into more details but I believe The Origins of the Baptists by S.H. Ford is a good short read.

Edited by MatthewDiscipleOfGod

• Members

No. "Protestant "is a term invented by the Roman Catholic Church to make you think that we are wayward members of the true church (i.e. the Roman Catholic Church) who became upset over some minor shortcomings within the RCC and decided to revolt and protest. Hopefully some day will return to the fold of the "one true holy apostolic church" whether by force or deception.

Many Baptists like to say that the Baptists were around since John the Baptist. This is ridiculous. John the Baptist was an OT prophet and was not part of the bride of Christ. This is just another attempt by man to make his particular denomination or church the "one true church of Christ". Independent Fundamental Baptists, though do come the closest to the early believers in doctrine IMO and have the strongest biblical foundation of all the denominations. But the denomination as it is today began around the time the KJV was translated. So the denominatiion didn't come directly out of the Protestant Reformation.

Edited by Wilchbla

• Members

Why is it we have two places to reply to this topic? This will be confusing.

I'm pasting my comment to this question I make at the other place.

A Protestant is a church that came out of the Roman Catholic Church. A true Baptist Church did not come out of the Roman Catholic Church. The true Baptist were the one that the RCC persecuted, they hated the teachings, & they tried their best to wipe them off the face of this earth. But God won, although they did much damage killing many of the old Baptist people, burning up their homes, their churches, & records.

I might add, Baptist have not always been known as Baptist, yet those who the RCC persecuted so bad where those who held to the same truths we teach today from the Holy Bible.

I would like to give you a link to a web site that will help you on this topic, it has several good articles that will help you with this.

This is something we should study out for our self, sad to say many of our brothers & sisters do not, while there's many Baptist pastors behind the pulpits that cannot answer your question, & they think there is only Roman Catholics & Protestants, which is not true.

• Members

Many believe that the Catholic church (Roman) is the "great whore" of Revelation. If this is true, then all her children (protestants) are illegitimate children, and Baptist is not among them. Most all churches sprang from the "Mother Church" (Catholic) and carried a bit of her doctrine with them. We still dispute about infant baptism, transubstantiation, and many foolish doctrines among, and with, the Protestant movement. Baptists stand alone in doctrine and separation, etc.,and always have. (True Baptists, every one has exceptions)

For the record, I too believe that the Catholic Church is the great whore, drunk with the blood of the saints. If you would like to read more about it, get the book "Fox's Book of Martyrs", I believe it is still available. It is depressing, but documented as factual.

Edited by irishman

• Members

No. "Protestant "is a term invented by the Roman Catholic Church to make you think that we are wayward members of the true church (i.e. the Roman Catholic Church) who became upset over some minor shortcomings within the RCC and decided to revolt and protest. Hopefully some day will return to the fold of the "one true holy apostolic church" whether by force or deception. The Roman CC had one name for christians, both before and after the reformation and that was "heretics".
Many Baptists like to say that the Baptists were around since John the Baptist. This is ridiculous. John the Baptist was an OT prophet and was not part of the bride of Christ. This is just another attempt by man to make his particular denomination or church the "one true church of Christ". Independent Fundamental Baptists, though do come the closest to the early believers in doctrine That is what the Plymouth Brethren always said of themselves. IMO and have the strongest biblical foundation of all the denominations. But the denomination as it is today began around the time the KJV was translated. Not so, it is an American Denomination, started 100 years or so ago. So the denominatiion didn't come directly out of the Protestant Reformation. Baptists as a denomination, started in the 1640s under Cromwell, when dissent was tollerated and can plainly to be shown to have come from the returning exiled presbyterians.

• Members

Many believe that the Catholic church (Roman) is the "great whore" of Revelation. If this is true, then all her children (protestants) are illegitimate children, and Baptist is not among them. Most all churches sprang from the "Mother Church" (Catholic) and carried a bit of her doctrine with them. We still dispute about infant baptism, transubstantiation, and many foolish doctrines among, and with, the Protestant movement. Baptists stand alone in doctrine and separation, etc.,and always have. (True Baptists, every one has exceptions)

For the record, I too believe that the Catholic Church is the great whore, drunk with the blood of the saints. If you would like to read more about it, get the book "Fox's Book of Martyrs", I believe it is still available. It is depressing, but documented as factual.

I agree that the RCC is the great whore, but all believers were rescued from their sin by Jesus, they did not come from some supposed apostolic sucession of Baptists. Edited by Invicta

• Members

Dude, why do you have to make this into a Plymouth Brethren thing? You are always start an argument over dispensationalism so then some folks in here can blame us for stirring up the trouble.

I didn't mention dispensationalism. I was speaking about their insistance that they were those who returned to primitive christianity, and were not a denomination, or sect. Bro, I have been there, I know.

• Members

FOX's BOOK of MARTYRS

Marty, Irishman mentioned the above book, you can click on the link above & read this book online.

You can also find the unabridged version of Foxe's Book of Martyrs online. It's called Acts and Monuments. This has actual letters from the Pope authorizing persecution of Christians and also other interesting things like the Statement of Faith of the Waldensians. This is a massive collection of 12 books. Not an easy read though.

http://www.johnfoxe....e=foxe&x=15&y=9 Edited by Wilchbla

• Members

You can also find the unabridged version of Foxe's Book of Martyrs online. It's called Acts and Monuments. This has actual letters from the Pope authorizing persecution of Christians and also other interesting things like the Statement of Faith of the Waldensians. This is a massive collection of 12 books. Not an easy read though.

http://www.johnfoxe....e=foxe&x=15&y=9

I have a full version of the book. It is in eight large volumes. In the Evangelical Library they have an older version in three volumes printed in the old black letter which is very hard to read.

• Moderators

Do NOT get the free one from "The Voice of the Martyrs", it list a bunch of "20th century martyrs" of which a large number are RCC.

As a result, I would be careful of any with a recent publishing date, check out the last few chapters before buying.