• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

heartstrings

Hate The Sin, Love The Sinner.

I've been misquoted above several times. I said separate the "individual homosexual from the homosexual movement."

I never said separate the sinner from the sin. Only Jesus Christ through His sacrifice can do this.

We can speak to an individual homosexual sinner about Christ and salvation.

We can't speak to a movement where Satan is allowed to lead.

The movement is where we must be "set for the defense of the Gospel."

God's love for the world goes only as far as the cross. He gave his Son. That was his act of love. Nothing suggest that his love extends any further than that. Any love God may show towards his enemies is so they will repent (Romans 2:4). This should be the same for us. So I don't totally agree with the general statement that God "loves the sinner but hate the sin." I think it's limited.

Also, the "eye for and eye" teaching was a commandment against personal vengeance. The civil authorities still have a right to take an eye for an eye. If not there would have a complete breakdown of justice (just as important to God as love) and the victory of the criminal over the law abider in every area of society.

A lot of this modern teaching of God's love and forgiveness is not biblical and comes out of the liberal theologies of the early 20th century.

God has set some conditions, but many seem to want to make God's love for everyone, unconditional.

Yet it is true, if any man, no matter how bad he might be, if he will turn to God before his death, or before Jesus comes, from the bottom of his heart, confess, repent, accept the free gift, that person can have & experience God's love.

Those who ignore the free gift God offers to all men, refuse to repent, confess, accepting Jesus as Savior prior to their death or until Jesus comes, they will not experience God's love, but His vengeance, & will forever pay a great price.

I believe that many chose to deny, ignore, Jesus, knows that Jesus is the Savior, the Son of God, yet they feel its worth more to them to enjoy the season of sin for a few years on this earth while knowing they will spend eternity in the everlasting fire.

Matthew 12:43 Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy. 44But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; 45That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust. 46For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same? 47And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? do not even the publicans so? 48Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

On 8/7/2012 at 12:38 PM, heartstrings said:

If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple. Luke 14:26

So the same Jesus who said if you hate your brother, you're a murderer, indicates that God wants you to hate your "brethren" ? Not to mention parents and kids? By the same reasoning we should proclaim that God not only hates sinners, but he also hates us all!!.That's foolish!! Apparently, "hate", doesn't always mean the evil kind of hate. Maybe it simply means we are to put God first, huh? And putting God first = LOVING others as yourself doesn't it!! So I'm going to just stick with believing that God wants me to love my family and my " brethren", and I will continue to love and honour my Mom and Dad, and my Stepdad(my dad passed away) just like he wants me to love sinners. These SCORNERS can accuse God's people of following the teachings of "Ghandi" if they want to, just like they put down everyone who isn't as "holy" as they think they are. Instead of an "all hate" gospel or an "all love" gospel, I'm going to proclaim man's awful sin, preach God's BOUNDLESS Love, and I'm not going to forget God's terrible judgment on those who reject it...... and there you have the whole counsel of God.

I realize this is a very old thread.  But I heard this last night.  " That if your not in Christ,  God hates you , infact he doesn't even  know you.  It didn't sit right with me.  I think your answer is about right.   

Every person who has posted in this thread, including myself of course, is STILL a sinner. Assuming all of us are saved, does God love us? Of course He does.

And when Jesus went to the cross, who were the sinners then? Everyone; the whole world. Yet He loved sinners then too. "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten son.............."John 3:16 

Plainly, God loved us when we were sinners(and still are)........But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.Romans 5:8

Edited by heartstrings

The Bible COMMANDS us to love our enemies.

We are told to love our enemies (Matt. 5:44; Lk. 6:27; 6:35), and that is  a high standard indeed, one which few of us meet to the degree we should. The primary object of the love in question in Jesus' words is the desire for them to be saved -- for this is how God looks at all unbelievers (1 Tim. 2:4; 2 Pet. 3:9).  However, even though God wants all to be saved, that doesn't mean that He approves of the conduct of the wicked or that He is fine with their behavior:

Though the Lord be high, yet he hath he respect unto the lowly: but the proud he knoweth afar off. (Psalm 138:6)

As Christians we are required to behave in a civil, loving way towards all human beings, whether we like them or not. That includes treating them in a respectful way, giving them the respect they are due as creatures of God whom God wants saved and for whom Jesus died. That does not mean we need to approve or value their behavior, or enjoy and somehow "appreciate" their hostility towards us.  It certainly "is" wonderful when we are on good terms with everyone, and that can be a blessing from God.

When a man's ways please the LORD, he maketh even his enemies to be at peace with him. (Proverbs 16:7)

So it is true that we need to look at the world through the eyes of God and behave towards all with the innocence of doves; but when it comes to interacting with persons of questionable morals or hostile motivations, we also need to be wise as serpents, treating them with basic human dignity and respect as well as Christian love, but not involving ourselves in their affairs unnecessarily and thus opening ourselves up to their attacks; and we are certainly not required to be approving or countenancing or enjoying their anti-God behavior. 

Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves. (Matthew 10:16) 

We have respect for God's creation, and for His desire for their salvation, and for Christ's sacrifice on their behalf. But we do not need to honor or respect or affirm their bad choices, godless behavior, or personal hostility. Love requires us to put aside hate and pray for their salvation; it does not require us to be pleased with their conduct. As mentioned earlier . . . we should love our enemies, bless them that curse us, and do good to them that hate us so we can reflect the heart of God to those around us.

God Bless!

1 hour ago, heartstrings said:

Every person who has posted in this thread, including myself of course, is STILL a sinner. Assuming all of us are saved, does God love us? Of course He does.

And when Jesus went to the cross, who were the sinners then? Everyone; the whole world. Yet He loved sinners then too. "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten son.............."John 3:16 

Plainly, God loved us when we were sinners(and still are)........But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.Romans 5:8

1 John 4:19 , wouldn't make any sense.  "We love him,  BECAUSE he first loved us".