• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Hate The Sin, Love The Sinner.

• Members

The Bible COMMANDS us to love our enemies.

We are told to love our enemies (Matt. 5:44; Lk. 6:27; 6:35), and that is  a high standard indeed, one which few of us meet to the degree we should. The primary object of the love in question in Jesus' words is the desire for them to be saved -- for this is how God looks at all unbelievers (1 Tim. 2:4; 2 Pet. 3:9).  However, even though God wants all to be saved, that doesn't mean that He approves of the conduct of the wicked or that He is fine with their behavior:

Though the Lord be high, yet he hath he respect unto the lowly: but the proud he knoweth afar off. (Psalm 138:6)

As Christians we are required to behave in a civil, loving way towards all human beings, whether we like them or not. That includes treating them in a respectful way, giving them the respect they are due as creatures of God whom God wants saved and for whom Jesus died. That does not mean we need to approve or value their behavior, or enjoy and somehow "appreciate" their hostility towards us.  It certainly "is" wonderful when we are on good terms with everyone, and that can be a blessing from God.

When a man's ways please the LORD, he maketh even his enemies to be at peace with him. (Proverbs 16:7)

So it is true that we need to look at the world through the eyes of God and behave towards all with the innocence of doves; but when it comes to interacting with persons of questionable morals or hostile motivations, we also need to be wise as serpents, treating them with basic human dignity and respect as well as Christian love, but not involving ourselves in their affairs unnecessarily and thus opening ourselves up to their attacks; and we are certainly not required to be approving or countenancing or enjoying their anti-God behavior. 

Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves. (Matthew 10:16) 

We have respect for God's creation, and for His desire for their salvation, and for Christ's sacrifice on their behalf. But we do not need to honor or respect or affirm their bad choices, godless behavior, or personal hostility. Love requires us to put aside hate and pray for their salvation; it does not require us to be pleased with their conduct. As mentioned earlier . . . we should love our enemies, bless them that curse us, and do good to them that hate us so we can reflect the heart of God to those around us.

God Bless!

• Members
1 hour ago, heartstrings said:

Every person who has posted in this thread, including myself of course, is STILL a sinner. Assuming all of us are saved, does God love us? Of course He does.

And when Jesus went to the cross, who were the sinners then? Everyone; the whole world. Yet He loved sinners then too. "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten son.............."John 3:16 

Plainly, God loved us when we were sinners(and still are)........But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.Romans 5:8

1 John 4:19 , wouldn't make any sense.  "We love him,  BECAUSE he first loved us". 

• 2 years later...
  • Members
On 9/13/2018 at 2:13 PM, Thief on the Cross said:

I realize this is a very old thread.  But I heard this last night.  " That if your not in Christ,  God hates you , infact he doesn't even  know you.  It didn't sit right with me.  I think your answer is about right.   

Keep seeking the truth,  keep on seeking God's Kingdom,  so that on the day God says "I don't know you" He is not speaking to you !

As for who God hates,   find out from Him,  in Scripture.  Men are little if any help.