• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Hate The Sin, Love The Sinner.

• Members

If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple. Luke 14:26

So the same Jesus who said if you hate your brother, you're a murderer, indicates that God wants you to hate your "brethren" ? Not to mention parents and kids? By the same reasoning we should proclaim that God not only hates sinners, but he also hates us all!!.That's foolish!! Apparently, "hate", doesn't always mean the evil kind of hate. Maybe it simply means we are to put God first, huh? And putting God first = LOVING others as yourself doesn't it!! So I'm going to just stick with believing that God wants me to love my family and my " brethren", and I will continue to love and honour my Mom and Dad, and my Stepdad(my dad passed away) just like he wants me to love sinners. These SCORNERS can accuse God's people of following the teachings of "Ghandi" if they want to, just like they put down everyone who isn't as "holy" as they think they are. Instead of an "all hate" gospel or an "all love" gospel, I'm going to proclaim man's awful sin, preach God's BOUNDLESS Love, and I'm not going to forget God's terrible judgment on those who reject it...... and there you have the whole counsel of God.

• Members

Did Ghandi actually say that?

I belive that Rajiv Ghandi was on of his descendants. At his funeral they sang Abide With Me, saying it was Rajiv Ghandi's favourite hymn. The also said that his religion, Hinduism was the leading fire worshiping religion. I used to like Abide With Me, but after that, I read the words carefully, and I went off it as anyone could sing it.

Edited by Invicta

• Members

In those verses its quite clear David is speaking about those that reject Christ, whether they sin occasionally or all the time. In that day they will not be receiving God's love they will be sent into the lake of fire for eternity. Of course until that day, or the day they die, they can of course repent, confess, take Jesus as Savior & experience all of God's true love. God's love is available to whosoever believeth.

That is, God offers His love to everyone, yet there are some conditions.

If there were no conditions, them those who proclaims that everyone in the end will be saved with no one being sent to the lake of fired. We know that is not true, few will enter Heaven for eternity & many will find them self in the depths of Hell be forever punished for rejecting God's free Gift.

I would like to add, I have no idea what Ghandi stated, I just know what the Bible says about this matter & I see no one promoting Ghandi false religion under this topic.

Edited by Jerry80871852

• Members

The interesting thing about this is, if that quote did indeed come from Ghandi, it's still a biblical principle. So many false teachers do have at least a wee bit of truth to them and their beliefs.

True....I've heard it said that although the false teachers may be 95% right/accurate, it's the 5% that they get wrong that you have to watch out for.

• Members

God's love for the world goes only as far as the cross. He gave his Son. That was his act of love. Nothing suggest that his love extends any further than that. Any love God may show towards his enemies is so they will repent (Romans 2:4). This should be the same for us. So I don't totally agree with the general statement that God "loves the sinner but hate the sin." I think it's limited.

Also, the "eye for and eye" teaching was a commandment against personal vengeance. The civil authorities still have a right to take an eye for an eye. If not there would have a complete breakdown of justice (just as important to God as love) and the victory of the criminal over the law abider in every area of society.

A lot of this modern teaching of God's love and forgiveness is not biblical and comes out of the liberal theologies of the early 20th century.

• Members

I've been misquoted above several times. I said separate the "individual homosexual from the homosexual movement."

I never said separate the sinner from the sin. Only Jesus Christ through His sacrifice can do this.

We can speak to an individual homosexual sinner about Christ and salvation.

We can't speak to a movement where Satan is allowed to lead.

The movement is where we must be "set for the defense of the Gospel."

• Members

God's love for the world goes only as far as the cross. He gave his Son. That was his act of love. Nothing suggest that his love extends any further than that. Any love God may show towards his enemies is so they will repent (Romans 2:4). This should be the same for us. So I don't totally agree with the general statement that God "loves the sinner but hate the sin." I think it's limited.

Also, the "eye for and eye" teaching was a commandment against personal vengeance. The civil authorities still have a right to take an eye for an eye. If not there would have a complete breakdown of justice (just as important to God as love) and the victory of the criminal over the law abider in every area of society.

A lot of this modern teaching of God's love and forgiveness is not biblical and comes out of the liberal theologies of the early 20th century.

God has set some conditions, but many seem to want to make God's love for everyone, unconditional.

Yet it is true, if any man, no matter how bad he might be, if he will turn to God before his death, or before Jesus comes, from the bottom of his heart, confess, repent, accept the free gift, that person can have & experience God's love.

Those who ignore the free gift God offers to all men, refuse to repent, confess, accepting Jesus as Savior prior to their death or until Jesus comes, they will not experience God's love, but His vengeance, & will forever pay a great price.

I believe that many chose to deny, ignore, Jesus, knows that Jesus is the Savior, the Son of God, yet they feel its worth more to them to enjoy the season of sin for a few years on this earth while knowing they will spend eternity in the everlasting fire.

• Members
Matthew 12:43 Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy. 44But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; 45That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust. 46For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same? 47And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? do not even the publicans so? 48Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

• 6 years later...
  • Members
On 8/7/2012 at 12:38 PM, heartstrings said:

If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple. Luke 14:26

So the same Jesus who said if you hate your brother, you're a murderer, indicates that God wants you to hate your "brethren" ? Not to mention parents and kids? By the same reasoning we should proclaim that God not only hates sinners, but he also hates us all!!.That's foolish!! Apparently, "hate", doesn't always mean the evil kind of hate. Maybe it simply means we are to put God first, huh? And putting God first = LOVING others as yourself doesn't it!! So I'm going to just stick with believing that God wants me to love my family and my " brethren", and I will continue to love and honour my Mom and Dad, and my Stepdad(my dad passed away) just like he wants me to love sinners. These SCORNERS can accuse God's people of following the teachings of "Ghandi" if they want to, just like they put down everyone who isn't as "holy" as they think they are. Instead of an "all hate" gospel or an "all love" gospel, I'm going to proclaim man's awful sin, preach God's BOUNDLESS Love, and I'm not going to forget God's terrible judgment on those who reject it...... and there you have the whole counsel of God.

I realize this is a very old thread.  But I heard this last night.  " That if your not in Christ,  God hates you , infact he doesn't even  know you.  It didn't sit right with me.  I think your answer is about right.   

• Members

Every person who has posted in this thread, including myself of course, is STILL a sinner. Assuming all of us are saved, does God love us? Of course He does.

And when Jesus went to the cross, who were the sinners then? Everyone; the whole world. Yet He loved sinners then too. "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten son.............."John 3:16 

Plainly, God loved us when we were sinners(and still are)........But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.Romans 5:8

Edited by heartstrings