Online Baptist

What Are Your Thoughts On "red Letter" Bibles?

• Independent Fundamental Baptist

I currently have a red letter Bible, but I've heard some people saying that it takes away from the rest of the Bible and that sometimes people consider those verses "more important" than the surrounding text, even though it's all God's Word. Any thoughts on this?

Used properly, there is nothing wrong with a red letter Bible. The red letters can be hard to read for some people but if they can be read then there isn't a problem unless someone creates a problem.

Those who claim the red letter portions are all that's important have created that problem themselves and they believe only the words of Christ in a regular Bible are all that's really important too.

So long as a person accepts the fact the whole Word of God is important and simply uses the red letter sections as an easier means of knowing exactly where Jesus is speaking, a red letter Bible is just fine.

Used properly, there is nothing wrong with a red letter Bible. The red letters can be hard to read for some people but if they can be read then there isn't a problem unless someone creates a problem.

Those who claim the red letter portions are all that's important have created that problem themselves and they believe only the words of Christ in a regular Bible are all that's really important too.

So long as a person accepts the fact the whole Word of God is important and simply uses the red letter sections as an easier means of knowing exactly where Jesus is speaking, a red letter Bible is just fine.

Ditto. I don't care one way or another if a bible is a red letter edition. It isn't an issue as far as I am concerned.

If you are going to use it and say Jesus said something, you need to be sure that what the editors say are the words of Jesus, really are. For example, in John 3, beginning at verse 13 and continuing up to and including verse 21, are the testimony of the writer of John, not the words of Jesus.

However, this does not change the truth of what is being said, as God is the author of the Bible, regardless of who wrote it.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I own some of both and really don't notice any difference.  My latest bible from Local Church Bible Publishers has much space for me to add my own notes, has one of the best covers I have seen and is black letter only.  Much is a personal taste, I prefer verses rather than paragraphs, however others prefer the opposite. 

My Classic King James Study Bible with C.I. Scofield Study Notes from Local Church Bible Publishers is all black print and I am really liking the all black print. The Red print to me gets a little hard on the eyes with long reading times.

• 2 weeks later...

My Classic King James Study Bible with C.I. Scofield Study Notes from Local Church Bible Publishers is all black print and I am really liking the all black print. The Red print to me gets a little hard on the eyes with long reading times.

I really like the quality of the Bibles from LCBP.   :clapping:  

I currently have a red letter Bible, but I've heard some people saying that it takes away from the rest of the Bible and that sometimes people consider those verses "more important" than the surrounding text, even though it's all God's Word. Any thoughts on this?

I avoid using red letter editions because I don't believe the words of Jesus Christ are superior to any other words in the Bible, it is all the inspired word of God. Some Christians who use red letter put more importance on these words because they are red, and this is a grave error.

I hear and read of many today majoring on what Jesus said and ignoring the rest of the NT and the OT, but the sad thing they are missing is that the majority of the words of Christ were actually directed at Israel, and the doctrine for the body of Christ is contained in Paul's word's not Christ's!

Of course the whole KJB is inspired, inspired by God & written by men moved by the Holy Ghost & its all God's true Word. The words of Jesus are not superior, I in my over 66 years have never heard anyone say they were, but its nice to have the words that come from the lips of Jesus in red letters so that one can easily know these words came from Him.

I do not care for paragraph format, I've had Bible programs on my computer that you can change to paragraph format. Of course all of my life I have read from Bibles not using the paragraph format, so that makes me very used to reading it in verse format.

• Lady Administrators

Of course the whole KJB is inspired, inspired by God & written by men moved by the Holy Ghost & its all God's true Word. The words of Jesus are not superior, I in my over 66 years have never heard anyone say they were, but its nice to have the words that come from the lips of Jesus in red letters so that one can easily know these words came from Him.

I do not care for paragraph format, I've had Bible programs on my computer that you can change to paragraph format. Of course all of my life I have read from Bibles not using the paragraph format, so that makes me very used to reading it in verse format.

I agree with this.

I've always used the KJB red letter and never once heard or thought the red indicated that Jesus' words were superior to the rest of the Bible - because it is all the Word of God.  I do like red letter because it just differentiates - at a glance - when Jesus was actually speaking physically.  Like John, sometimes in certain light the red lettering can be hard to read, but then...large print is so much easier for me anymore.   :unsure:

I'm not real fond of the paragraph format either.  I do like the verses separated - it makes for easier reading. But then, that's probably from always having had Bibles like that. 

Archived