Online Baptist

• Independent Fundamental Baptist

It seems many that identify them self with Christ in any form have been going nuts over the TV show Duck Dynasty. In Arkansas many churches of all brands are inviting members of this show to come & speak at their church.

The Duck Dynasty cast is associated with the church of Christ, Phil is very dedicated to his church of Christ, & they believe you have to be baptized into the church of Christ in order to enter Heaven.

I suppose this show will be a big boost for the churches of Christ with many people led though the broad wide gate by their false teachings.

Phil is a former Louisiana Tech quarterback, Terry Bradshaw followed in his footsteps being the next Louisiana Tech quarterback, so I feel sure he will have much influence with people that are big football fans, pulling many of them though the gates of hell by trusting in the baptizing of the church of Christ & their membership to make them fit for Heaven.

One thing, they do not seem ashamed of their faith.

Info on Duck Dynasty.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duck_Dynasty
http://www.aetv.com/duck-dynasty/

A review: http://thepioneerwoman.com/entertainment/2012/06/duck-dynasty/

Reader comment from the announcement of the series. http://realscreen.com/2012/02/08/ae-to-premiere-reality-show-about-duck-callers/
Quote:
Wonderful show A & E ! I love it. There is so much thrash on tv anymore. This is such a wonderful family show. And by the way, great job a raising such respectful grandchildren! This is a show that families can watch together. By the way, my favorites are Uncle Sye and Phil. Keep up the good work. I am proud to be redneck. (Emphasis added)

I've watched it a few times. It's one of the few programs on TV that will show a family sitting around a table and thanking God for their blessings. Of the ones I've watched, I haven't seen any indication that they are trying to foster their particular beliefs on anyone. Instead, what I've seen is that their faith plays a role in their lives. Something that's rare today on and off TV.

I don't know if the Holy Spirit dwells within the hearts of these family members. If He does, then one day, we'll walk with them in heaven. Are we likely to walk with the members of the upcoming Dancing with the Stars program that's being hyped right now on one of the local TV stations?

While, as a Baptist, I don't always agree, with other professing Christians of various protestant churches, I'm having somewhat of a problem picking their beliefs apart in the face of the alternatives the world is trying to force on us at every turn. What's the percentage of CURRENT TV shows, excluding the "religious" channels, that mention God with reverance? Is it even 1%? If it is 1%, I'm thankful for that much, in this depraved world we live in today.

While trying to learn more about the actual beliefs of the cast of this show, ran across this in a pastor's blog.

Together, the family runs a booming duck call business that employs half their neighborhood, but at the end of the day, you can find the whole family around the dinner table thanking God for all He has provided. The wise old patriarch Phil Robertson (picture ZZ Top in camo), spends most of his time trying to make sure his family never forgets where they came from. I think I’m drawn to this, because I realize that life is way to busy and the really important things in life are getting pushed out. We need more Phil Robertson’s in this world to remind us that the old ways are often the best ways. The best thing I have heard old Phil say, was to his son who had a big decision to make. His advice was simple; “Anytime I make a decision, I take a walk in the woods and talk to the Almighty.” I think it’s high time we all took a walk in the woods. In fact, leave your cell phone on the kitchen counter and spend some time with the ones you love and the One you love. http://faithbible.com/pastors-blog/duck-dynasty/
  • Members

While Phil does speak a lot of truths in his messages, I am not convinced. Phil appears to be more of a motivational speaker to me.

He delivers the same message in every church he is asked to speak at. In his Pennsylvania visit, he tells the audience that they can make a profession of faith and then if they get drunk, so what? It's covered.

He lets the people know at least twice in each message that he has duck calls for sale.

Church isn't a place to sell duck calls. I think his appearances are more of a sales pitch than a ministry.

While Phil does speak a lot of truths in his messages, I am not convinced. Phil appears to be more of a motivational speaker to me.

He delivers the same message in every church he is asked to speak at. In his Pennsylvania visit, he tells the audience that they can make a profession of faith and then if they get drunk, so what? It's covered.

He lets the people know at least twice in each message that he has duck calls for sale.

Church isn't a place to sell duck calls. I think his appearances are more of a sales pitch than a ministry.

Thanks for your post. It offered me the opportunity to continue the research that I began earlier when this thread was posted.

Is your opinion based on actually hearing his message in PA or are you comments speculation presented as facts?

What's wrong with giving the same message/testimony to new groups of listeners?

Are you sure that he said what you implied with your comment on drinking?

Are you sure that he makes 2 sales pitches for the purpose of selling those calls during his message?

Here's an audio link to Phil's message given in PA. http://www.zackmassey.com/2012/05/27/duck-dynasty-preaching/

I'll reserve my comments for now and give others the opportunity to listen and form their own opinion of his message.

Oldtimer, I don't need to listen to his message, He is a devoted member of the churches of Christ that teach one is saved by being baptized into the church of Christ, & those that are not cannot enter Heaven. And him & that TV program will lead many down to the broad wide gate. They are all about a false Gospel.

• Advanced Member

Oldtimer, I don't need to listen to his message, He is a devoted member of the churches of Christ that teach one is saved by being baptized into the church of Christ, & those that are not cannot enter Heaven. And him & that TV program will lead many down to the broad wide gate. They are all about a false Gospel.

Talking about the Church of Christ (aka Campbellite), when I had a delivery down in Murfreesboro, TN I was shocked to see that city overrun with them. I was expecting to see Sword of the Lord type of churches all around and yet all I saw was Campbellite and Holiness.

Talking about the Church of Christ (aka Campbellite), when I had a delivery down in Murfreesboro, TN I was shocked to see that city overrun with them. I was expecting to see Sword of the Lord type of churches all around and yet all I saw was Campbellite and Holiness.

That's not surprising, for there's plenty of action out front of the broad wide gate.
  • 8 months later...

Still haven't watched the show, still don't know much at all about them, but they must be popular because I keep seeing them mentioned on Facebook and elsewhere on the internet. It seems almost daily I hear something about Duck Dynasty on the Christian radio. I remember hearing that someone from Duck Dynasty spoke at their church on Easter Sunday. Something must be going on if they were invited to speak in church on Easter Sunday.

I don't know what their particular beliefs are, but there are many who say the Duck Dynasty guy is a real Christian and has good things to say when he speaks. Maybe that's true, and maybe this is like those Christian "leaders" who came out declaring Mormon Glen Beck is a real Christian; I don't know.

They are members of the churches of Christ {coC} who believe for one to go to Heaven they must be baptized into the churches of Christ.

Does the guy on Duck Dynasty they keep talking about believe that?

I only ask because I know many folks attend churches they don't agree with on some things, even matters of salvation.

That is what the coC teaches. Of course in any group you will have conservative & liberals. Just as we have them in all churches that has the name Baptist on their doors.

Strange thing, Campbell was the founder of the coC, & he was baptized by a Baptist pastor. So according their their doctrine, the founder of the coC will not go to Heaven, for he was not baptized into the coC.

They are members of the churches of Christ {coC} who believe for one to go to Heaven they must be baptized into the churches of Christ.

A quick search brought up this....false, damnable doctrine for sure..... but where do you get that they teach "baptism into the church of Christ"?  http://easthillchurchofchrist.com/saved.html

We just had a Southern Baptist pastor preach a revival at our church. In one message he praised "Casting Crowns" as godly music to listen to and In another message he praised these "Duck Dynasty" guys. I've never watched Duck Dynasty because I don't watch TV and never even heard about it until I heard my pastor and a couple of others mention it and how great it was. Hearing this about them being Church of Christ disturbs me greatly.

A quick search brought up this....false, damnable doctrine for sure..... but where do you get that they teach "baptism into the church of Christ"?  http://easthillchurchofchrist.com/saved.html

Because that is what they teach, as I before stated to John, I will say it to you as well, within the coC you have both Conservative & liberals, just as our churches do.

We just had a Southern Baptist pastor preach a revival at our church. In one message he praised "Casting Crowns" as godly music to listen to and In another message he praised these "Duck Dynasty" guys. I've never watched Duck Dynasty because I don't watch TV and never even heard about it until I heard my pastor and a couple of others mention it and how great it was. Hearing this about them being Church of Christ disturbs me greatly.

Of course, you will have pastors, & church members  that go by the name of Baptist that will try any route they can find to be friends of the world, & hope to gain members along with money in their collection plate. They will compromise for the sake of hoping to gain numbers & money.

Its true, many pastors & church member have a price at which they will sell out, but there's still a few that refuse to sell out. Billy Graham sold out, built many bridges that many of our fellow Baptist have used, & are still using. And we have many bridge builders around.

I saw a couple clips from the show on Fox News the other day. In one clip the family was gathered around the table for dinner and they prayed before eating. In the other clip the dad was taking a dress back to the store because he said it didn't cover enough of his daughter.

Neither clip was long enough to give an accurate depiction of the show, but the ones showing the clip were all talking about how the show was family friendly and show Christians in a good light.

I watched part of one episode once and turned it off.  The characters were very worldly and liberal and not the least bit Christ-centered... they acted like they'd never heard of him.

Very well stated, yet that is the way most professing Christians wants to behave. They want everything that's on both sides of the fence.