• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

Melodys

Mental Disorders

I saw a post that went side tracked into a long discussion about mental disorders, so I thought I would start one here so we can collaborate resources/ (christian) scientific studies. I do not believe in a disorder named ADD. Why? I believe our diets are a problem, lack of physical exercise, improper discipline from parents, etc. Another one to discuss: depression. According to psychologists, we cannot "help it" if we feel sad because of a chemical imbalance. Has anyone ever heard of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy? Basically it is a big term that means changing your thoughts to change your behavior. This is the world's tactic, but it is God's way (although we do it through God's strength). The world (even though I don't trust any of the "facts" they throw around) says that this method works to change chemical levels in your brain. Duh it works! Yet people are still sitting around depressed and drugged because "doctors" have told them they cannot "help it." Sure, you can have drugs to feel a little better, but that doesn't fix the root of the issue: you choose to sin when you think negatively! You need to forgive people who have hurt you and trust God to be in control of your future.
Anyone have anything to add? This is a big subject that needs to be dealt with in our churches! We deal with it in RU all the time.

SN: please if you are going to get emotional and rude, pray before you respond. I know it will touch a lot of nerves for people who have family/ friends who are diagnosed as having a mental disorder. Before you judge, understand I lost my Dad and almost lost both of my sisters because doctors said they have depression.

All the rhetoric put out by both sides of the political forces in Washington, as well by many Christians, about how bad it is, & how we deserve it to be so much better so that we can have even more, surely helps no one.

Among us Christians I think everyone of us has much more than we deserve.

The American cannot be satisfied, they want, want, & want more, while calling on the politician to make sure they get more, that is their American dream.

I saw a post that went side tracked into a long discussion about mental disorders, so I thought I would start one here so we can collaborate resources/ (christian) scientific studies. I do not believe in a disorder named ADD. Why? I believe our diets are a problem, lack of physical exercise, improper discipline from parents, etc. Another one to discuss: depression. According to psychologists, we cannot "help it" if we feel sad because of a chemical imbalance. Has anyone ever heard of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy? Basically it is a big term that means changing your thoughts to change your behavior. This is the world's tactic, but it is God's way (although we do it through God's strength). The world (even though I don't trust any of the "facts" they throw around) says that this method works to change chemical levels in your brain. Duh it works! Yet people are still sitting around depressed and drugged because "doctors" have told them they cannot "help it." Sure, you can have drugs to feel a little better, but that doesn't fix the root of the issue: you choose to sin when you think negatively! You need to forgive people who have hurt you and trust God to be in control of your future.
Anyone have anything to add? This is a big subject that needs to be dealt with in our churches! We deal with it in RU all the time.

SN: please if you are going to get emotional and rude, pray before you respond. I know it will touch a lot of nerves for people who have family/ friends who are diagnosed as having a mental disorder. Before you judge, understand I lost my Dad and almost lost both of my sisters because doctors said they have depression.

Did you pray before you posted? I'm sorry to hear about your family members but I still totally disagree in this matter though I do agree that antidepressants and such are over prescribed.

Yet, just as a pancreas can go bad and lead to diabetes (whether self inflicted or hereditary) so can the brain malfunction. Why Christians have such a problem when it comes to the matter of the brain is beyond me. I remember my pastor (an IFB preacher) telling me that Christians had the same problem when doctors started studying the heart and its maladies. They thought that it was of the world and evil. I've heard these diet stories before too. Dieting and vitamins will solve everything. I don't think so. Next time your kid is having a major asthma attack (speaking hypothetically here) try shoving some pills and herbs down his throat instead of giving him his albuterol inhaler. I've had Christians tell me to do this for myself and that I don't trust God when I use my inhaler. I also know as many people who have been able to function through their day from their prescribe meds and not sit around zombied out from antidepressants, etc. My doctor has said that people have literally bought her flowers and thanked her after she put them on whatever they needed. And just because you are saved doesn't mean these things can't happen to you. You are flesh and bone just like the unsaved. Being depressed (or bipolar or schizophrenic) does not mean one does not trust God. This is a total fallacy in the way of thinking. Heck, the man who was a great influence on me getting saved has suffered from bipolar syndrome since a child. He trusts God as much as you and I. But when the neurons aren't firing right in the brain trouble will ensue. An evangelist/missionary friend of mine has a sister who is the same way. She completely breaks down into a babbling mad woman. Yet she is saved and is trusting in the blood of Christ. These things don't mean they aren't save, or that they don't trust God or that they are demon possessed (I've heard all of these) but that they have a burden to bear that most don't. I would imagine these type of people are the feebleminded that Paul spoke of who need comforting. Charles Spurgeon was said to suffer from great bouts of depression and William Cowper (the great author, hymn writer and best friend of John Newton) would have to be committed to an institution for months at time because of manic depression.

I will agree that ADD is over diagnosed because of pressure from the drug companies. Yet I do believe some people have a problem with this. For years my brother was belittle and called a liar when he said the words didn't look right on the page. It turns out he has dyslexia. And he doesn't do drugs, he's worked out and eaten right his whole life so it has nothing to do with that.

Again, For years Christans thought that epilepsy was demon possession. Edited by Wilchbla

As for depression, I have experienced bouts of it myself. "Things" seems to affect us, and lead to depression. For instance, I do not subscribe to the newspaper, nor follow the news closely because I can get depressed from the state of the nation and the foolishness of people toward one another. I have learned to fight it, but it seems to be an on-going battle. As one poster has said already, we need to remind ourselves how blessed we are in the grace of our Lord, and not dwell on the depressing things that we cannot change anyway.

For ADHD, my brother has it. We have the same parents, same parenting, same everything - yet from the time he was a baby he would not "sit still". He truly is hyperactive and always has been. He is 39 and this was years before they diagnosed everyone with ADD. My mother spent years wondering why he wasn't like everyone else's kid. So sorry, I have to disagree.

As for depression, I have suffered with it on and off for about 15 year now. It doesn't matter how much time I spend in church, with God, etc., I still feel very overwhelmed alot. I find that people who have never suffered from depression often don't understand, which is sad. My 1st husband killed himself, so I'm sorry, I believe depression is a very real thing. And I agree with Wilchbla that you saying that people can't have a real medical problem that causes depression is just wrong. It's like saying that getting cancer is your fault because you didn't trust God enough to keep you from getting it.

People are afflicted with different ailments... some with cancer, some with depression, some with diabetes... some people lose spouses, some people lose their job, some people get divorced... the list goes on and on.

And one more thing... it's sad because mentality like this is why suicide rates are so high. People try to make you feel bad that you're depressed, like there's something wrong with you. If you have another sickness, you would go to the doctor and get help, even if that includes medication.

I'm sorry if this seems harsh, but when I read stuff like this, it makes me sick.

Edited by P_Bear141

My wife was diagnosed with left temporal lobe epilepsy and all that comes with it (before we met) After we were married I took her off the pills and told her to sort herself out - she did and has never had a problem since. When I was young I believed we could do, solve and sort out anything we put our mind to. I still do believe this but now that I have aged some I have come to realize that the old adage "you can't teach an old dog new tricks" is very true. The older you get the more difficult it is to change or deal with certain things. Depression is a habit with chemical outputs in the mind. The more one allows oneself to feel depressed, the easier it is to get depressed and stay depressed. It's like walking a foot path, walk the same path over and over again and it becomes a rut that is difficult to get out and if you do get out, very easy to fall back into. That is why the bible speaks of renewing the mind (Rom 12:2) Wear in new pathways. So I do agree that depression and some psychological issues can become diseases, but I disagree that they start out that way.

As for depression, I have experienced bouts of it myself. "Things" seems to affect us, and lead to depression. For instance, I do not subscribe to the newspaper, nor follow the news closely because I can get depressed from the state of the nation and the foolishness of people toward one another. I have learned to fight it, but it seems to be an on-going battle. As one poster has said already, we need to remind ourselves how blessed we are in the grace of our Lord, and not dwell on the depressing things that we cannot change anyway.

If you will read though Paul's writings I think you will find that he had a touch of depression. Seeing people rejecting the Christ, the love, the future He offers, can be a bit depressing.

First, please let me say that I have no doubt that some people suffer from true mental illness. There is some in my extended family. Further, as a part of a class I took while still in school was a tour of a local mental hospital. (In the days before being PC wouldn't allow such a tour.) While we were not allowed to visit the area containing patients in our age group, I saw first hand what severe mental illness can do to people. That visit left a strong lasting impression of the plight of those locked in the prision of their own minds.

That said, I also have no doubt that "mental illiness" is being used as an excuse by far too many people these days.

* A woman I know is drawing a disability check for depression. Yet, she deals with life better than many other folks I know. That includes working, even though she can't work according to her doctor's opinion.

* A neighbor who had to go through some unsettling events when her children divorced was diagnosed as being depressed and put on meds. I've known her for probably 30 years. Her life in the church and in the community has been far too active and positive for her to have been suffering from undiagnosed depression all these years. Yet, that's what her doctor told her when he began writing prescriptions to help her cope with life.

* While there are valid pleas of insanity in court cases, I wish I knew the percentage of these pleas that are "excuses" given by defense attorneys to justify actions of their clients. Excuses because their clients are guilty and there's no other option available to keep them from being punished to the full extent of the law.

Further, in my humble opinion, there's a whole industry evolving, with money as the motive, to help normal people cope with life. The TV commercial showing a person with a cloud over his head needs a pill to make the sun shine again, is an example. How many people watching that commercial will believe that pill is the quick fix? Believe that life should always be sunshine and rainbows and pills are the way to get it.

Have a problem? Dr Phil has the answers. Oprah's opinions on everything from diet to religion are the answers. Have a problem? Visit a book store and buy a "Top Selling" authors' wisdom. For example, scroll down this list. http://www.lifeway.com/n/Popular-Authors/Beth-Moore

One of the reasons why I have much distain for the mental health industry, as a whole, is what's happened in recent years. Mental health hospitals have been closed and people who need help are put out on the streets. Here in NC, Dorothea Dix Hospital was closed and special interests are fighting over that prime piece of property. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorothea_Dix_Hospital With our growing population, there's an increased need for facilities to care for those with true mental illiness, not a lessor need.

I've read somewhere the estimated percentage of homeless people who are homeless because of mental illiness. People who should be receiving care, but aren't. They were turned out on the streets when their money ran out. Turned out on the street when their hospital closed. I personally know a young man (about 20) who is out of control. There is no doubt in my mind that he is suffering from a mental illiness. His parents have done everything they can to get help for him. That includes both calling the police and driving him to the police station in an effort to protect him and others. Yet, last I heard he's on the streets and begging for food. The last time I saw him, he came to our home insisting that he could mow our grass for us because he was hungry. We offered to take him to a place and buy a meal for him. Additionally, to take him anywhere he wanted to go (including back to his home) to get help for him. He refused and left our home on foot. I don't know what's happened to him since then. I do know where to place the blame for what I saw the day he came to our home. The mental health industry let him down.

I've read somewhere the estimated percentage of homeless people who are homeless because of mental illiness. People who should be receiving care, but aren't. They were turned out on the streets when their money ran out. Turned out on the street when their hospital closed. I personally know a young man (about 20) who is out of control. There is no doubt in my mind that he is suffering from a mental illiness. His parents have done everything they can to get help for him. That includes both calling the police and driving him to the police station in an effort to protect him and others. Yet, last I heard he's on the streets and begging for food. The last time I saw him, he came to our home insisting that he could mow our grass for us because he was hungry. We offered to take him to a place and buy a meal for him. Additionally, to take him anywhere he wanted to go (including back to his home) to get help for him. He refused and left our home on foot. I don't know what's happened to him since then. I do know where to place the blame for what I saw the day he came to our home. The mental health industry let him down.

From my experiences with people as you describe above, they may have some sort of mental illness, but more often than not they wanted money so they can go get their next fix of drugs or alcohol. Where I used to live there was a liquor store very close by, and I had people come up to me numerous times as I was working in my back yard, offering to rake or do something for $$. I would later see them (when they would get their money) walk right into that same liquor store and come out with a bottle in a bag.
Then there are the many "panhandlers" on the streets. Offer to take many of them to a restaurant and many will refuse, they only want money.
Again, only from my experiences.

From my experiences with people as you describe above, they may have some sort of mental illness, but more often than not they wanted money so they can go get their next fix of drugs or alcohol. Where I used to live there was a liquor store very close by, and I had people come up to me numerous times as I was working in my back yard, offering to rake or do something for $$. I would later see them (when they would get their money) walk right into that same liquor store and come out with a bottle in a bag.
Then there are the many "panhandlers" on the streets. Offer to take many of them to a restaurant and many will refuse, they only want money.

Many have had the same experience. Many of us have had times over the years where we have encountered those begging for dollars. They often have tales of starvation (I haven't ate in three days) so they really need money to survive. When offered to take them out for a meal they have many excuses for why they don't want to do that. Even if we give a good counter for each of their excuses and offer to take them to eat wherever they might feel comfortable they still don't want to have a meal bought for them, they want money. Many will get very upset, demanding money, when they realize that it's a paid for meal or nothing; then they storm off.

So, a person who claims not to have eaten in three days turns down an all you can eat meal offer. That person isn't starving, they are desperate for their next fix of drugs or alcohol.

Right, some use depression, mental illness, anything they can latch onto to draw a check, this makes it tough on those who truly has a problem. We need to be careful & not let our self become hardened towards those that indeed has a real problem because of the fakes.

Sometimes with a person like that the worse thing you can say is, 'You need help, lets go & get you some help.' I agree, its hard not to say that to them, for after all, your doing so because you care. Yet it may not seem that way to them with the way they're thinking & because of how others have treated them.

Quick run down, my mother, sister, & brother died in a house fire when I was about 20moths of age. My older sister Dixie held me outside & we survived, but she heard mother, sister, brother inside crying out. I was to young to remember, plus after that she had another real bad experience. It had a major effect on her.

She did fairly well in early years, but in her adult years she started falling to pieces. When people do this they are very hard to deal with, & for some reason its so hard for them to keep things together. And they do have real problems. Yes, some can over come, yet all cannot.

As in my last post, some fake it to get money, yet some have real problems.

Sometimes with a person like that the worse thing you can say is, 'You need help, lets go & get you some help.' I agree, its hard not to say that to them, for after all, your doing so because you care. Yet it may not seem that way to them with the way they're thinking & because of how others have treated them.

Quick run down, my mother, sister, & brother died in a house fire when I was about 20moths of age. My older sister Dixie held me outside & we survived, but she heard mother, sister, brother inside crying out. I was to young to remember, plus after that she had another real bad experience. It had a major effect on her.

She did fairly well in early years, but in her adult years she started falling to pieces. When people do this they are very hard to deal with, & for some reason its so hard for them to keep things together. And they do have real problems. Yes, some can over come, yet all cannot.

As in my last post, some fake it to get money, yet some have real problems.

Agreed.

Jerry, the young man that I posted about earlier has real problems. He indirectly worked for me for a few months as a temporary worker (long story involved). Thus I saw first hand the day in and day out problems that he had. Numerous times I either picked him up for work or took him home. Saw his destructive behavior. Saw his bouts with anger. Saw his attempts to intiminate anyone who would back down from him. Caught him stealing when he couldn't get what he wanted by any other method. Saw him deliberately cause problems that could have resulted in injuries to other workers.

Oh,,,,, I'd forgotten as this has been, maybe 5 years ago. His parents had managed to obtain a "Big Brother" for him. Either this Big Brother wasn't trained, didn't have a clue, or was just going through the motions. Their sessions together were usually to go somewhere for fast food lunch. An hour a month for a disturbed young man..... BTW, as far as I could determine he didn't take illegal drugs nor did he drink alcohol.

This young man needed help and didn't get it. (At the time. I don't know what's happened since I last saw him. ) While others, who don't need help, as being defined here, are being medicated:
to avoid the harsh reality that life can bestow on most people, from time to time.
to milk the system and receive a disability benefits check.
to line the pockets of drug companies pushing sunshine and rainbow pills.
to substitute for lack of parental and education system training in personal responsibility from a very young age.
to promote the lastest theories in behavioral science. (pseudo science when compare to valid/proven research results)

There's something dreadfully wrong with this society when people who need help don't get it. And, at the same time un-needed help is being given and sometimes forced on others.

I heard that Pastor Fisher of Lighthouse Baptist in San Diego suffers from bouts of great depression. He has said so publicly (so, no gossip). It is said that David Banaird suffered from depression. Paris Reidhead the great missionary to Africa was depressed much. He writes about it. Martyn Lloyd-Jones, the great puritan expositor of the scriptures wrote about his inability to remain encouraged at times.
I am sure if we read more biographies of some of God's men who have been used greatly, we would find depression among them.
David wrote much of his anguish of soul, his failing confidence, his fear of others, his personal failings haunted him. All characteristic of depression.

Dear pastor friend, if you cannot help your depressed brother, then you need to seek wisdom form the Lord. You are failing them.

The eagle gets depressed and will not feed, will not preen, it will not fly but hobbles along on the ground. It's peers call to it, as if to say, Get up! Get up! They drop food, they will go to it and push it physically.
Some sheep will lay down in the mud and die.
My dog gets sad.

Depression is real. It is a human experience and there is help.
God has many words for the depressed. Dear pastor, if you cannot find them out in His word, you need to check your calling.

Job, David, Moses, Elisha and others all manifested conditions of what we would call depression.

God bless,
calvary

I heard that Pastor Fisher of Lighthouse Baptist in San Diego suffers from bouts of great depression. He has said so publicly (so, no gossip). It is said that David Banaird suffered from depression. Paris Reidhead the great missionary to Africa was depressed much. He writes about it. Martyn Lloyd-Jones, the great puritan expositor of the scriptures wrote about his inability to remain encouraged at times.
I am sure if we read more biographies of some of God's men who have been used greatly, we would find depression among them.
David wrote much of his anguish of soul, his failing confidence, his fear of others, his personal failings haunted him. All characteristic of depression.

Dear pastor friend, if you cannot help your depressed brother, then you need to seek wisdom form the Lord. You are failing them.

The eagle gets depressed and will not feed, will not preen, it will not fly but hobbles along on the ground. It's peers call to it, as if to say, Get up! Get up! They drop food, they will go to it and push it physically.
My dog gets sad.

God has many words for the depressed. Dear pastor, if you cannot find them out in His word, you need to check your calling.

Job, David, Moses, Elisha and others all manifested conditions of what we would call depression.

God bless,
calvary

Pastor Fisher is a great preacher and veteran. I've heard him preach a few times.

1Ki 19:4 But he himself went a day's journey into the wilderness, and came and sat down under a juniper tree: and he requested for himself that he might die; and said, It is enough; now, O LORD, take away my life; for I am not better than my fathers.

Did not Elijah face depression?

Seems to be a common thing, yet some want to act as if it does not exist among God's children.

My dog gets sad.

God bless,
calvary

:hijacked: Care to cite any evidence for the part I bolded? No offense but that sounds like story telling, "preaching" talk, and not truth. I assume you just heard it somewhere and are repeating it without knowing one way or another. If I am wrong and there is actual factual basis for it I would appreciate a link to a site that talks about it. Other preachers sermon illustrations will not be considered as credible evidence. :saint2:

Such a sensitive topic. I have a few comments, but in a nutshell, this is one of those things that is between each person and God.

Regarding epilepsy being "demonic".....I want to point out that while it is NOT.....the Bible clearly shows forth a few situations where children or adults were acting crazed, and Jesus actually physically cast out a demon. I think it still happens today. Not epileptics of course. haha. But just saying...I do think some cases of severe mental disease and/or drug induced frenzies (i.e. the dude that chewed off the other dude's face) are probably demonic. But only God knows. I only say it because there is proof in Scripture, in extreme cases.

I know some people who got on drugs (prescriptions) who probably shouldn't have. I also know people who are great people who you'd never know take pills...but they do...and they do fine....that's between them and God. As with anything, the prescriptions need to be taken with great care....the benefits should be greater than the risk...the risk being that after having cocktail upon cocktail of drugs for 40 years, you end up suicidal and crazy (I do know a dear sweet lady whose life is ending up like this.) If you're just depressed (like so many are)...see if there are ways you can figure out to cope with it before going to meds.

There is merit in the above idea of having your thoughts change your feelings...I've been struggling with depression due to negative thoughts about some certain situations....lately I've been able to start turning the tide of my negative thoughts a bit (its a process) and I can tell my feelings and emotions are following suit. Its not magic or anything, but it can be done. I was tempted to try medicines, but I'm terrified of the side effects and also the addiction that I wanted it to be a last resort....and I am afraid in today's world, medicine is not a last resort, when it SHOULD be. Sometimes just getting more sleep, trying to get rid of a few stressors, or looking at something in a more positive light may be enough to get you over that hump of depression. Depression isn't fun, and I tend towards it....but....if you have a supportive family, sometimes you can get through it with the help of them and God.

So...like I said....if you need meds.....who am I to say you don't? Its between you and God. Some do. Some don't. Nobody will ever understand the mind...which is another reason why the meds do scare me a bit....most doctors don't even fully understand how and why these drugs work. They have theories but at any given moment drugs will stop working or change behavior and its really quite scary. So I would just caution anyone not to start experimenting with these prescriptions unless the benefits will truly outweigh the risk of addiction and/or a possible worsening of the situation.

Such a sensitive topic. I have a few comments, but in a nutshell, this is one of those things that is between each person and God.

Regarding epilepsy being "demonic".....I want to point out that while it is NOT.....the Bible clearly shows forth a few situations where children or adults were acting crazed, and Jesus actually physically cast out a demon. I think it still happens today. Not epileptics of course. haha. But just saying...I do think some cases of severe mental disease and/or drug induced frenzies (i.e. the dude that chewed off the other dude's face) are probably demonic. But only God knows. I only say it because there is proof in Scripture, in extreme cases.

I know some people who got on drugs (prescriptions) who probably shouldn't have. I also know people who are great people who you'd never know take pills...but they do...and they do fine....that's between them and God. As with anything, the prescriptions need to be taken with great care....the benefits should be greater than the risk...the risk being that after having cocktail upon cocktail of drugs for 40 years, you end up suicidal and crazy (I do know a dear sweet lady whose life is ending up like this.) If you're just depressed (like so many are)...see if there are ways you can figure out to cope with it before going to meds.

There is merit in the above idea of having your thoughts change your feelings...I've been struggling with depression due to negative thoughts about some certain situations....lately I've been able to start turning the tide of my negative thoughts a bit (its a process) and I can tell my feelings and emotions are following suit. Its not magic or anything, but it can be done. I was tempted to try medicines, but I'm terrified of the side effects and also the addiction that I wanted it to be a last resort....and I am afraid in today's world, medicine is not a last resort, when it SHOULD be. Sometimes just getting more sleep, trying to get rid of a few stressors, or looking at something in a more positive light may be enough to get you over that hump of depression. Depression isn't fun, and I tend towards it....but....if you have a supportive family, sometimes you can get through it with the help of them and God.

So...like I said....if you need meds.....who am I to say you don't? Its between you and God. Some do. Some don't. Nobody will ever understand the mind...which is another reason why the meds do scare me a bit....most doctors don't even fully understand how and why these drugs work. They have theories but at any given moment drugs will stop working or change behavior and its really quite scary. So I would just caution anyone not to start experimenting with these prescriptions unless the benefits will truly outweigh the risk of addiction and/or a possible worsening of the situation.

That underlined part, I 100% agree with.

I'm very careful, I would hate to be the one to tell a friend, loved one, to stop taking meds, & going to the doctor, them a few days later learned they committed suicide. Plus, stopping some meds instantly can cause some very serious problems.

A person is welcomed to believe what they want on this issue, yet forcing that on someone else, no. Neither does God force anything on us, so we should not either, more especially in theses areas.

:hijacked: Care to cite any evidence for the part I bolded? No offense but that sounds like story telling, "preaching" talk, and not truth. I assume you just heard it somewhere and are repeating it without knowing one way or another. If I am wrong and there is actual factual basis for it I would appreciate a link to a site that talks about it. Other preachers sermon illustrations will not be considered as credible evidence. :saint2:

Look up Bobby Thompson.

God bless,
calvary

Look up Bobby Thompson.

God bless,
calvary

I have to say those sermons are are full of false statements. I am 100% sure that guy is either a bold face liar or enormously ignorant. Very possibly both. It is disgusting to hear such things preached. It greatly discredits the message he is trying to get across.

I have to say those sermons are are full of false statements. I am 100% sure that guy is either a bold face liar or enormously ignorant. Very possibly both. It is disgusting to hear such things preached. It greatly discredits the message he is trying to get across.

Share one false quote.

God bless,
calvary

This was about 5 minutes of web searching. By no means any great feat. Anyone could do the same thing if they wanted to. Of course there is no scientific journals, yet, evidently there seems to be some truth to the idea that eagles get depressed and other eagles try to feed them. These are 3 separate sources. Easy as pie really. I wouldn't have thought to cavil at such an insignificant point. But Seth, there you are. Whatever brother. I think it's a fine illustration, and I also would think there is some truth to it. Since I am not an expert on eagles, I might just be inclined to give these folks the benefit of the doubt. - God bless, calvary

Now for some eagles calcium will begin to deposit on the beak, this usually happens when they become old. As a result, their beak becomes swollen and sore, to sore to eat. Thus, the eagle loose a desire to feed himself. He no longer flies to the top of the sky to hunt, and when the storm comes he begins to hide under the rocks and among the trees like the turkeys and the buzzards. He begins to lose weight, he loses strength, his shoulders begin to stoop and his head hangs low.

And, all this time Mrs. Eagle is watching, she is concerned and tries to strengthen him. Soon she can’t watch any longer, she finds a rabbit and brings it to his feet. If he eats what she brings to him, he will never fly to the top of the sky again. He will allow his family to feed him for the rest of his life. But, as he gazes at the meat, all of a sudden a sprit of remembrance comes upon him.

He remembers when he used to fly at the top of the sky, he remembers when he used to be the king of the air. But, something happened to his mouth, and he lost his strength and power. Just as some today bring harm to the body, when they speak wrongly of others. Friends, there are spiritual lessons to be learned from the eagle, if we would only learn to use them.

All of a sudden, the eagle remembers what he was, where he has been, and he backs away from someone’ else meat. He begins to make that slow painful climb back to the rock. It has been a long time since he has been to that rock. Other things were more important, and he had forgotten about that place in the shadow of the tree.

No longer with the ability to fly, he very slowly, very painfully climb back up to the top of the cliff, where he once lived. It has taken him over 36 hours to finally reach the top. He stands upon the rock, and he takes his beak and pulls out his dirty and useless feathers one by one. He will remove these feathers from his wings, from his chest, and from his thighs.

Then he takes his claws and bangs them against the rock to rid of the infested dead skin. He takes that sore and infected beak and bangs it also against the rock. And, there he stands, he has removed himself from all of his glory. He has removed himself from all of his pride, from all of his covering. He walks over to the water and allows the fresh water to soothe his body. Then he will return back to the rock allowing the sun to warm and heal. Brothers and sisters there are spiritual lessons to be learned from an eagle, if we would only learn to use them.
Joel Dewide - pastor

Growing up, my Daddy used to tell us stories, feeding us with curiousity, many times using facts about animals in his teachings, much like Jesus did. I would love to share one of my favorites with you.
The eagle builds his nest on top of a rock, high in the mountains... usually over looking a valley. I'll not go through how they raise there young, but did you know when a eagle is about midway in life, it goes into a depression? No one knows why.
It fly's into the valley below the rock and there it sits. The calcium starts to build up on it's beak and comes up over it's eyes, so it can hardly see... also on it's feet, so that it can hardly walk. It sits there in it's depressed state and sometimes dies there, alone.
Yet, there is some comfort for it... as it sits there, head down. Once in a while, a young eagle will fly in and lay a rabbit at it's feet, trying to get the old eagle to eat. It will not eat until it makes up it's own mind to come out of it's depression. Once it makes up it's mind and comes out of that depression, then it will start to eat a little, until finally it will start to climb that mountain, back up to the of that rock.
It's a hard job... it is weak and falls a lot, but it keeps on trying until it finely makes it back to the top of that rock. After resting a little, the eagle will then start banging it's head against that rock... breaking the calcium all off until it can see again. Then it will start banging it's feet against the rock to knock all the calcium deposits off them, sometimes making them bleed.
After doing all of this, he will rest. A while later, you can see him go out to the edge of the rock and look over. Pretty soon he will spread his wings and then there he goes, sailing over the valley. He is back in business again! Pretty soon he regains his strength and becomes stronger and more beautiful than he has ever been in his whole life. {Read: Psalms 103:1-5}
You see, when we see a loved one in depression, our heart goes out to them. We can talk to them and do everything that we can for them, but like the old eagle, it's not until that person makes up her, or his own mind to come out of it. There is nothing that can be done, not even a doctor can handle this one. You see sometimes we get down in the valley so low that it is hard to climb back up on top of the rock.
The rock of our salvation is the Lord Jesus Christ and he is with us all the way. (John 14:17) For he dwelleth with you and shall be in you, (John 14:23) we will come unto him and make our abode with him. John Chapter 1: He was in the world and the world was made by him and the world knew him not.
Jesus dwells within us... this is the holy spirit. It is something to think about, the greatest spiritual being that ever was or ever will be, dwells within us. He had no beginning and has no ending... Oh my sisters & brothers, if we could only grasp onto the depth of that, what in the world do we have to worry about?
Charlene Maynard

Partiality through the Eagle’s life, he will go through a molting process
that will bring great depression. Calcium deposits will appear on the Eagle’s talons and beak. This is a wilderness time that all Eagles will face. During this time, the Eagle begins to walk like a Turkey. He has no strength to fly. Other Eagles who have already gone through this molting process and survived, will fly above the valley in which the Eagle is in, and drop fresh food to help strengthen him. Unfortunately, some Eagles will not accept the help of other Eagles and will die in the valley while others will accept the help, and therefore regain their strength. Once they recover their strength, they will climb the mountain in which they were raised on. After this experience, the Eagle will Soar again with greater strength than ever before!

Eagleinthestorm (blog)

Edited by Calvary