• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

What's Your Temp Today?

JerryNumbers

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Today's high was 98 with heat index of 107-109. Tomorrow 93, then two days of 100 to follow.

Lost AC late yesterday afternoon. It was hot inside and outside when I left home this early this morning to help a friend. Work to be done without benefit of AC, BTW. Came home early afternoon to a hot house. AC repair promised for Thursday. Another restless/sleepless night in store.

Phone rang. HVAC repairman would be here in 20 minutes. Snapped the old thermostat out of the base and popped in another one. 30 second repair. Cool air!

The house is slowly cooling down, as I type. It's truly a blessing to sleep in a cool house at night.

On a side note: Thermostat was under warranty. Replacement unit was no charge. Total bill for the service call. $170.00
Service call $89.00 + Replace thermostat labor $81.00

It's still a blessing to sleep in a cool house at night.

• Members

Today's high was 98 with heat index of 107-109. Tomorrow 93, then two days of 100 to follow.

Lost AC late yesterday afternoon. It was hot inside and outside when I left home this early this morning to help a friend. Work to be done without benefit of AC, BTW. Came home early afternoon to a hot house. AC repair promised for Thursday. Another restless/sleepless night in store.

Phone rang. HVAC repairman would be here in 20 minutes. Snapped the old thermostat out of the base and popped in another one. 30 second repair. Cool air!

The house is slowly cooling down, as I type. It's truly a blessing to sleep in a cool house at night.

On a side note: Thermostat was under warranty. Replacement unit was no charge. Total bill for the service call. $170.00
Service call $89.00 + Replace thermostat labor $81.00

It's still a blessing to sleep in a cool house at night.

That's an awful lot for under warranty. Those A/C repair people are not bashful, & do not mind charging & arm & a leg.

I've got a heat pump, last winter my compressor went out, replace only the compressor & that compressor cost more than my complete heat pump system that was installed in about 1994.

That compressor lasted 17 years, considering it runs both summer & winter I thought that was pretty good.

A barber shop in town has the original A/C compressor installed in the early 50's & its still going strong.

• Members

Jerry, they don't build them like they used to!

Prior to getting a gas pack we had electric heat with a 3 ton AC unit in our home. Installed in 1984, we replaced it in 2009 when the AC compressor failed. Like you, replacing the compressor couldn't be justified. Especially, since we were told the heating side wouldn't last another season -- two winters earlier.

At the time we researched our HVAC options, we were told the average life expectancy of units, these days, is 10 years. Told the same thing about household appliances when we had to replace our 1984 refrigerator about 4 years ago. So far, the original washer/dryer, water heater, and built in wall oven are still going strong. As is my grandmother's 1966 gas stove. (It's in my shop.)

Times have changed. We've been dealing with the same HVAC company since 84. Bought the gas pack unit from them in 2009. If the original owner had been alive, the most he would have charged us was their standard service call fee. Over the years, several times a service call for xyz has been no charge. There's no way he would have slapped another $81 for labor on the bill for walking to his truck to get a no charge replacement thermostat. His son now runs the business.

Regardless of all of that, it is still a blessing to have a comfortable home at the flip of a switch.

It's sad that those who have never had to chop wood for heat or sweat it out in a southern summer, don't realize how much of a blessing they receive everyday. Recent news coverage of a 20 hour local power failure was a good example. Even with a local church supplying bottled water and ice to the affected housing complex, risidents were irate that the local utility didn't supply portable cooling stations and transportation to an air conditioned shelter. Mayor visited the complex and called for an investigation!

Yesterday, I thought about 7 years of plenty and 7 years of famine as we pulled box fans out of storage to prepare to hunker down till repairs could be made. (Didn't know the cause of the AC failure and thus didn't know if repair parts were available locally or would have to be ordered.) Similar thought processes have led to having alternatives (backup plans) in place when famine strikes all types of modern convenience blessings. If (when) the need arises to be able to revert back to life as my grandmother knew it.

Not only for ourselves. As Christians, to also remember there are widows and orphans around us. And, to realize there are sluggards among us, too. Further, to pray our Lord will give us "the wisdom to know the difference" if/when that decision has to be made.

Thanks for letting me use this thread about the heat to mention 7 & 7 years and our responsibilites for each of them. Are we prepared for famine, not only for us and our family. Can we also offer a cup of water to a thirsty child?

Matthew Chapter 25, specifically verse 40 (KJB)
40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

In closing, let all of us who have air conditioning be thankful for this blessing as we go about our day and sleep at night. Lord, may we never take it nor all our other blessings for granted.

• Members

Our house originally had Carrier electric heat, built in 1972. We bought this house in December 92, moved in in January 93. Heating bill was quite high. 93 or 94 installed Heat pump, it was much cheaper operating. We did not go with a brand name unit, they are way over priced.

17 years with that compressor running summer & winter, does not seem to bad. I believe that would be more than 34 years for a regular a/c unit that the compressor sets quietly during the winter doing nothing but setting in the elements.

Another thing, today units do operate much cheaper. Replacing only our compressor on our unit installed in 93 or 94 we noticed a drop in our electric bill, both winter & summer, & ours in not the efficient unit.

That barber shop I spoke of, its nice the same compressor is running, but one thing that's not nice, his electric bill is extremely high. He could saved money on both heating & cooling by getting a new unit with it paying for itself in just a very few short years.

Yes, many things are not made as well as they once were. But!

Yet you must admit, for instants, today's car engines will run much longer that those of yesterday year & cost less to upkeep. For instants, today many car engines will run very good for over 100,000 miles on the set of spark plugs that comes in them. Not that many years back points & plugs were required every 12,000 to 24,000 miles, or you car would not run & or it would run very rough being hard to start.

• Members

The meteo said it was our warmest day of the year, so I expect it was at least the mid 80's. It was our second day of being able to eat outside. I hope our grass may have dried out enough to mow tomorrow.

• Moderators

The meteo said it was our warmest day of the year, so I expect it was at least the mid 80's. It was our second day of being able to eat outside. I hope our grass may have dried out enough to mow tomorrow.

26 of our states have been declared to be under drought conditions. Our grass went to seed while not growing any from 3 weeks ago.

• Members

Woo-hoo, we are down to 99, finally below 100!!!

My yard has been brown all month. I've never gone an entire month without having to mow the yard at all but I have this year. It was back in June the last time I mowed and it looks like I won't be mowing until August (hopefully!).

Archived