• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

sdeshazo

Using Niv Or Other Translation To Study With

Okay, heres my question. Is it okay to use the NIV or NKJV solely to study with? Ive grown up using KJV and I have no intentions on switching the bible that I use. But, the KJV is very hard for me to understand at times (most of the reason being because i have a hard time concentrating). So, is there anything in the bible that says it is wrong? I know what Matthew 5:18 says, but is that referring to other translations or not? Thanks for your help.

Shaun

Okay, heres my question. Is it okay to use the NIV or NKJV solely to study with? Ive grown up using KJV and I have no intentions on switching the bible that I use. But, the KJV is very hard for me to understand at times (most of the reason being because i have a hard time concentrating). So, is there anything in the bible that says it is wrong? I know what Matthew 5:18 says, but is that referring to other translations or not? Thanks for your help.

Shaun

Shaun, since I only have a few minutes on line right now, please let me refer you to this site.
Another King James Believer http://brandplucked....om/articles.htm There's hours of study material at that link that supports the use of the KJB.

Couple of quick questions, if you don't mind.

When you say you have a hard time concentrating, could you define that a little more? Sometimes it's our study environment. Sometimes it's a lack of prayer for guidance prior to study. Some people tend to get bogged down in some of the early books of the OT. Based on your response, some of us may have some ideas and suggestions that'll help you overcome that hurtle.

In closing, I have several different translations. I've found that there's no material benefit in reaching for one of them, as there's a way to grow in understanding of the KJB. Many of them, in fact, without dealing with the problems associated with modern versions. Based on more feedback from you, perhaps we can share those best suited for your circumstances.

I misunderstood you question, I apologize.

Why study a flawed Bible when you have one that is correct, the understanding you come to studying from a MV may well be wrong, why risk that?

Those newer Bible are different for a very good reason, the men writing them has an agenda, the agenda is to back up their beliefs with a version of a bible.

sdeshazo I would not recommend using an inferior bible for "study" It can guide your study in a different direction, and piece things together so that it sounds like it makes sense. Since we do not know what you are interested in studying, I would stay with the KJB and use that which you understand, you will grow with it, and more understanding will come. Sometimes we try grow too fast for our own good, and it can lead to misconceptions and error.

By the way, commentaries aren't much better. These "scholars" get a chance to voice their pet doctrines and opinions in them, and again, they can sound very convincing. I hope you stick with the KJB and only that and toss those others (if you have any) in the garbage!

I'm a high school drop out (though I did get my GED) and though initial I started with the NIV I never felt comfortable with it. When I got my first KJV (Thompson Chain) initial I had a little difficulty reading it but the more I read it the clearer it became. Really, the trouble with the KJV isn't the language it's the text of the scripture itself. Some of the bible is just plain hard to understand. Especially books like Ezekiel and some of the minor prophets.

Ok, wonderful, thank you! The reason I have trouble is because I have undiagnosed ADD, meaning, I refuse to go to a psychiatrist, but I definitely have all the symptoms. Ha ha! I will look at the link provided above. Thank you again.

But, the KJV is very hard for me to understand at times (most of the reason being because i have a hard time concentrating).

I actually see this as a benefit. It makes you slow down and research what you are reading. It also makes you pray for proper understanding. This is what happened to me when I first started to only read the KJV for my studies. After a while though it will come easy so make sure you don't get back into the habit of not chewing the words of God slowly.

I actually see this as a benefit. It makes you slow down and research what you are reading. It also makes you pray for proper understanding. This is what happened to me when I first started to only read the KJV for my studies. After a while though it will come easy so make sure you don't get back into the habit of not chewing the words of God slowly.

Good points!

It took me awhile to learn this after I was first saved, but it's better to take time and go slow in reading the Bible and studying the Bible than it is to just see how much we can read or how fast we can get through a book.

Ok, wonderful, thank you! The reason I have trouble is because I have undiagnosed ADD, meaning, I refuse to go to a psychiatrist, but I definitely have all the symptoms. Ha ha! I will look at the link provided above. Thank you again.

The only thing wrong with you is a lack of self-discipline. You must teach yourself to concentrate so you can learn and understand the Scriptures. You cannot do this unless you are saved and have the help of Christ and the Holy Ghost.

ADD is a worldly invention to absolve people of their sin and responsibility. Do not accept the world's values; she will make it impossible tor you to effectively serve God.

The only thing wrong with you is a lack of self-discipline. You must teach yourself to concentrate so you can learn and understand the Scriptures. You cannot do this unless you are saved and have the help of Christ and the Holy Ghost.

ADD is a worldly invention to absolve people of their sin and responsibility. Do not accept the world's values; she will make it impossible tor you to effectively serve God.

That's a good point to consider. These ADD sort of things were once unheard of, even when they first came up with their new theory few bought into it. It really wasn't until public school teachers (and their union) discovered if they doped the boys up on the drugs prescribed for these things it made the boys more docile and like most of the girls, and that's when so many boys were suddenly said to have ADD.

What a shame so many parents allow public school teachers to tell them their child has ADD and then they go to a doctor telling them this and the doctor follows the plan, saying the child is ADD and telling the parents to dope him up.

The fact is, it's common for boys to have shorter attention spans, to be more energetic, to be active. Rather than dealing with these facts as past teachers did, through discipline and training, todays teachers consider that to be too much work so they just want them doped up and many parents go right along with this.

No matter a persons personality, they can find a way to read and study that works for them. Then, through personal discipline and practice, they can master this and progress in what they are doing.

I have been diagnosed with Pure OCD so I understand what you are saying. I times it hard for me to concentrate on reading.

ADD is a worldly invention to absolve people of their sin and responsibility.

This is nonsense. This is like saying that autism or mental retardation is a punishment for the sins of the parents. Time to get out of the Dark Ages. You are to comfort the feeble minded not condemn them. I suppose my Pure OCD is a sin too? I will agree with you that the OP can't use that as an excuse not to read the bible.

One thing that derailed me and caused much confusion when I was first saved was that I knew nothing about Bible versions but had heard it was good to use more than one. I didn't have a good home church, I didn't have any solid Christian friends or others around. I remember getting a catalog and order several of the basic, inexpensive Bibles in different versions. I'm not sure what all I ordered, but I know I had the NASB, NIV, the Living Bible, the KJB, and the Bible I had been presented in Methodist Sunday school, which was a RSV. Trying to read from and study from these different Bibles wasnt the big help I had heard others say it was. How helpful could it be to read a passage from 5 or more Bibles when so often they didn't seem to be saying the same thing.

It was a few years later God led me to a solid Christian friend who introduced me to his Baptist pastor and I began attending his church and men's Bible study. It was there I learned of the KJB, was introduced to the Sword of the Lord paper, and I clearly "heard" God direct me to get in the KJB and stay there. From that moment onward my understanding of the Word expanded beyond anything I had hoped for and memorizing Scripture became almost easy.

Praise God for the KJB!

That's a good point to consider. These ADD sort of things were once unheard of, e

And epilepsy was thought to be demon possession. What's your point? Diabetes, asthma, fibromylagia, COPD, osteoporosis, schizophrenia, Down Syndrome, hypertension, high cholesterol, etc. etc. were all unheard of at one time too but they were still real, just never diagnosed. Your thinking is like saying that the rapture, premillennialism, dispensationalism, etc. where never in the bible because Christians never "diagnosed" them before John Darby.

I will agree with you though that ADD is OVERdiagnosed and one major problem is their are too many single mothers who can't handle little boys. Edited by Wilchbla

This is nonsense. This is like saying that autism or mental retardation is a punishment for the sins of the parents. Time to get out of the Dark Ages. You are to comfort the feeble minded not condemn them. I suppose my Pure OCD is a sin too? I will agree with you that the OP can't use that as an excuse not to read the bible.

swathdiver didn't say ADD was a sin, he said there are those who use the excuse of ADD to cover for their sins...sins like sloth and laziness, for instance, where some will say they just CAN'T read or study the Bible because of ADD when the actual truth is they just don't want to put forth the effort to do either.

Even many mainstream doctors have come to the conclusion many thousands are wrongfully labled as ADD (and other things) and then pumped with drugs they should have never been given.

There are some legitimate mental issues out there. I worked with a man who was bi-polar and it was clear when he forgot to take his medicine...and it was clear his medicine helped him. That said, there are millions who are wrongly diagnosed and doped up because it's just simpler to do that than to actually deal with other issues.

And epilepsy was thought to be demon possession. What's your point? Diabetes, asthma, fibromylagia, COPD, osteoporosis, schizophrenia, Down Syndrome, hypertension, high cholesterol, etc. etc. were all unheard of at one time too but they were still real, just never diagnosed. Your thinking is like saying that the rapture, premillennialism, dispensationalism, etc. where never in the bible because Christians never "diagnosed" them before John Darby.

I will agree with you though that ADD is OVERdiagnosed and one major problem is their are too many single mothers who can't handle little boys.

The point was, and is, that this new diagnosis quickly became the catch-all for virtually any boy in school a teacher didn't want to deal with. Rather than have narrow criteria for what is classified as ADD, the medical industry soon broadened the criteria so virtually any boy who didn't sit still in his seat for 7 hours a day and behave more like the girls in his class was diagnosed as ADD and put on drugs.

As to your biblical references, I don't get them all. I know I've not encountered dispensationalism prior to Darby and in my studies most rejected dispensationalism outside the Bretheren until a few liberal churches in America adopted it and then somehow Scofield latched onto it and put it in his study Bible, along withe the Gap Theory, and suddenly many folks in America latched onto it.

With regards to the other biblical matters, I've seen them outside of Darby's dispensational theory.

In any event, you seem to be jumping rather strong emotionally here and reading more into some posts than what's actually there. I apologize if my wording wasn't clear enough in my posts.

swathdiver didn't say ADD was a sin, he said there are those who use the excuse of ADD to cover for their sins...

No, I read it right. He said ADD is a worldly invention to cover sin.

I will agree with you that this doesn't mean someone with ADD can't read the bible. I got the impression the OP wanted to read his but had a hard time concentrating on a style of writing that is no the norm for today. I can understand this from my own experience. My brother has dyslexia and has difficulty reading anything let alone a bible.

In any event, you seem to be jumping rather strong emotionally here and reading more into some posts than what's actually there. I apologize if my wording wasn't clear enough in my posts.

Yes, I am emotional about this because I've seen a Christian man destroyed by the above type of thinking. While he should have been getting medical help for schizophrenia he was condemned as being demon possessed which made matters worse by some Dark Age IFBers. Eventually he did receive help after driving his car off the road in an attempt to kill himself so he can go to hell. He got some meds is now back in church but will never be completely the same. Just as the kidneys can go bad, the heart can go bad and the lungs can go bad, so can the brain go haywire. Everyone has a cross to bear one way or another. Edited by Wilchbla

As to your biblical references, I don't get them all. I know I've not encountered dispensationalism prior to Darby and in my studies most rejected dispensationalism outside the Bretheren until a few liberal churches in America adopted it and then somehow Scofield latched onto it and put it in his study Bible, along withe the Gap Theory, and suddenly many folks in America latched onto it.

That is my point. It's the same line of reasoning. Since something is "new" it can't be true. Dispensationalism was there in the bible and always has been whether Darby found it or not. The same goes for various diseases. Just because the are now being diagnosed and labeled does not mean they are modern day worldly inventions to cover sin.

Almost any medical disorder can be used as an excuse to cover sins and other things. For example, I know a man who frequently comments on why he can't do abc because of his heart by-pass surgery, several years ago. In any area where physical exertion is required he stands on the sidelines and says "I'd help, if I could".

That's in the mornings. In the afternoon he plays 9 holes of golf many times during the week, even with summer temps so high they drive me to the shade. It's readily apparent that he's using his health issue as an excuse. (Better half had the same surgery, so I'm well aware of its impact on life.) You'll know them by their fruits..........

While there are valid situations, far too many use mental disorders as an excuse for sin. Look at our court system. How many plead for forgiveness for their actions because of their childhood experiences? I grew up in a poor as dirt situation, so I know from experience that poverty is no excuse to rob and steal. I grew up with a physical limitation that puts me in a minority. Yet, I know that being in that minority isn't an excuse for me to sin. How often do highly visible folks in society (public and private) fall back on the excuse of a temporary mental lapse to cover their disgretions and EXPECT their actions to be overlooked?

My heart goes out to the thousands of young kids, who are perfectly normal, yet are drugged to keep them passive and compliant. Fill them with caffine and sugar, fail to give them an outlet for all that "energy", and then give them a pill to "tie" them to a chair. Let them run wild and do as they please during anytime, except while in a classroom. Dope them instead of training them, from the beginning there's a time to be still and a time to play.

Is it ADD when a child determines what goes in a grocery shopping cart? Is it ADD when Sunday school teachers provide drink boxes and cookies in the hour before worship where a kid can't sit quietly? Is it ADD when a young boy is never given the opportunity, in an appropriate setting, to just be a boy? -- To run, to yell, to stomp in muddle puddles, to climb trees, to be Dennis the Menace from time to time. Have pills replaced playgrounds in our school systems?

While I have no doubt there are valid situations (some exist in my own extended family) where a mental disorder is a correct diagnosis, IMHO, there are far too many that use that as an acceptable excuse, by society, to cover their sins.

Back to the OP's question. Shaun, there's another point to be considered when trying to concentrate while studying the Bible. One that I wrestle with on a continuing basis. The more I study, the more I'm able to identify the source of the problem. Solution: Satan get behind me! The devil likes nothing much better than for a Christian to lose focus on Christ. If we let him, he will tempt us to let our mind wander away from the Word.

I can't speak for anyone else. In my case, it took a while for me to realize how easy it is for him to prompt me to start daydreaming and thinking about anything other than the scripture I'm studying. It's the classic example of the devil sitting on one shoulder and the Holy Spirit on the other. The devil is going to do everything within his power to distract and break chains of thought that focus on God. He will, if he can, drown out the gentle whispers from the Holy Spirit in our other ear. It's our responsibility to prevent that from happening, as best we can. And understanding that we can't do it alone. At least I know I can't do it alone. Thus prayer to help keep satan "behind me" is a continual part of asking for help to grow in wisdom of God's Word, as written in the KJB.

Good post Oldtimer.

Some people claim they cannot control their temper, is that their excuse for not practicing self discipline? Could it be possible their parents never taught them the importance of controlling their temper?

Sure, some children are more active than other children, but a person has to learn control, if they do not they only become a lose cannon.

I have trouble concentration very long at a time, but its because of pain in my neck & head. It keeps me from setting very long at a time, so I get up move around, come back, start were I left off. Maybe I could use it as an excuse never to study, or to say, the KJ is to hard for me to understand getting one of those updated version that teaches a different teaching.

Besides, a child of God, calling on the Lord, can have the strength of mind to do what needs to be done.

Php 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

So really, do we have an excuse?

While I have no doubt there are valid situations (some exist in my own extended family) where a mental disorder is a correct diagnosis, IMHO, there are far too many that use that as an acceptable excuse, by society, to cover their sins.

This is true yet many of the brethren think that any mental disease or chemical imbalance is either fake or, if they truly have a problem, then they are unsaved and devil possessed. As in the case of the man I mentioned in a previous post. For some reason many IFBers just can't fathom that the brain can malfunction just like any other organ in the body.

As for the OP, if he has problems with ADD, he won't just have trouble with reading the bible but he'll struggle with everything. So you just can't pin it on the devil trying to break his concentration.

It's a burden he has to bear and learn to struggle through. Just like me with my Pure OCD which I suffered with for over 20 years before given in and going to the doctor. In some ways it actually helped me with my bible study because it forced me to search the scriptures like you wouldn't believe in order to get relief. Yet the meds have helped me function better at work where I can't be studying or reading the bible.

By the way, there is a history of mental disease on my biological father's side of the family. Edited by Wilchbla

So really, do we have an excuse?

Brother, you just don't grasp what it's like to have a mental disease. You really don't. I've had a bad neck and shoulder that kept me out of work for three works and put me in rehab and which still occurs with great frequency. I've had asthma since I was four years old and take medicine everyday for it. The suffering they cause are nothing compared to the bouts I go through when my Pure OCD strikes (it occurs in cycles). And what I have is light compared to things like bipolar and schizophrenia.

Nobody is excusing anything. The OP wasn't. He just admitted that the KJV is a struggle to read which it is AT FIRST.

I grasp it. We are not speaking about mental disease, but the thing called ADD. The majority of the time its really children that are never taught to be disciplined by their parents that doctors wants to dope up & make zombies out of.

Plus, I do have a sister that has had very bad mental problems for many years, so do not say what I know, & do not know, its best to ask before accusing.

Anyone new to the Bible will have trouble, given time they will overcome that, if they are saved. But changing Bibles will not help. All they will do is read from a Bible that is incorrect while learning something that is incorrect..