• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

Melodys

Have You Seen This?

In case you don't know, this is a song by CCM rock group Delirious?
I don't understand why we are digging through the garbage of CCM in order to find music to sing. This is the first "real" CCM song Steve Pettit has put out and if they follow in the footsteps of WCBC, it only goes downhill from here.

Here is the original:
Edited by Melodys

My general impression is a good chunk of that circle/group/etc.(the wilds/majesty music/BJU etc.)of independent baptists are "drifting" away from former convictions to one degree or another. You see that in a continually increasing acceptance of corrupt bible versions and in gradually slipping musical standards that were once very high. I think what was once a musical conviction has for many in those circles become more of a musical church "tradition" instead. Typically in such churches they may or may not preach from the KJV and the importance of bible versions is downplayed, the music actually played and sung in the church is still fine, the "in church" standard of dress is still pretty high, and most of the actual doctrine taught is still just fine. However, things like facebook make it pretty clear that for a great many things that were once standards are now more a mere shell, a vestige of church tradition and no longer a real conviction of the people. If it was still conviction you wouldn't see so many of the same people who have a much lower standard of dress when outside the church or so many people(especially people under 30 or so) in those circles who "like" stuff ranging from stuff that is mostly fine like the vast majority of the stuff the wilds/majesty music/ the pettit's/ the galkins etc. produce while at the same time also "liking" or posting things on their facebook pages ranging from mild CCM, to Christian rock, to completely secular worldly music that doesn't even pretend to have any Christian aspects. It is sad because there were/are a lot of good Christians in that group/camp or whatever you want to call it but many in that group seem to be headed toward the neo-evangelical side of things with, as might be expected, an ever increasing hostility toward those who are not heading down the same path. I am sure there are many in those circles who still hold strong convictions but unfortunately there does seem to be a strong tilt away from that. I certainly don't have any animosity toward that "group" and many of my best bible teachers as a child came out of those circles, however unfortunately things can and do change with time... Proverbs 27:23-24 applies in a spiritual sense as well as a physical one...

CCM is atrocious. If they think they are reaching the unsaved with it their crazy because even within the secular world it's considered third rate music and not considered spiritual. And I don't see how repeating the same insipid chorus over and over is edifying or instructive.

An area church is holding a "Christian concert" sometime this year featuring 4 CCM groups. I don't know who they are but I heard some of the music that's supposed to be played there. One song by a woman accompanied with a piano wasn't bad. If all her music is similar to that it might be okay. The music by the other 3 I really don't know what to say about it because it was hard to understand and way too loud. The woman artist is so totally different from the other 3 I really don't know how they all got put together in concert.

Other area churches are getting jelous now because of the yearly concerts this other church has been putting on now, I guess for a few years now (apparently I'm out of the loop on these things!), and some are trying to figure out ways to host their own CCM concerts.

Meanwhile, our church and another nearby settle for low attendance as we on occasion have a Gospel group perform at our church.

A local SBC Church in town sponsored a CCM event about every year. They advertise in in the local papers, with pictures of the singers. The singers looks much like outlaw bikers, the men singers are usually all long haired, most of them with tattoos.

And after the event they will place pictures in the local papers again, it looks like a hard rock concert with the outlaw bikers gangs in attendance, with everyone looking drunk or drugged out.

An area church is holding a "Christian concert" sometime this year featuring 4 CCM groups. I don't know who they are but I heard some of the music that's supposed to be played there. One song by a woman accompanied with a piano wasn't bad. If all her music is similar to that it might be okay.

She might be one of those "bridge" groups to bring us all together and reject separation. If she will show up and play with them, then she would not contend for the faith and denounce their evil music. That makes her even more dangerous than the rock-n-rollers.

Meanwhile, our church and another nearby settle for low attendance as we on occasion have a Gospel group perform at our church.

John, I'll answer this carefully, because I'm not sure if your use of the word "settle" was meant in a good way or bad.

If the churches are growing because of concerts and entertainment, I would want nothing to do with them. If a church has to entertain people to attract people and keep them in church, they're not there for the right reasons.

That's the Emergent Church and "Purpose Driven Church" mindset...appeal to the flesh. True "church" isn't about concerts, being hip, and entertaining...but that's what the church is becoming...and what was prophesied...

2 Timothy 3:5
Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.

2 Timothy 4:2-5
2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.
3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.
5 But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry.

Doesn't sound like Paul was instructing Timothy to appeal to people's flesh...

My general impression is a good chunk of that circle/group/etc.(the wilds/majesty music/BJU etc.)of independent baptists are "drifting" away from former convictions to one degree or another. You see that in a continually increasing acceptance of corrupt bible versions and in gradually slipping musical standards that were once very high. I think what was once a musical conviction has for many in those circles become more of a musical church "tradition" instead. Typically in such churches they may or may not preach from the KJV and the importance of bible versions is downplayed, the music actually played and sung in the church is still fine, the "in church" standard of dress is still pretty high, and most of the actual doctrine taught is still just fine. However, things like facebook make it pretty clear that for a great many things that were once standards are now more a mere shell, a vestige of church tradition and no longer a real conviction of the people. If it was still conviction you wouldn't see so many of the same people who have a much lower standard of dress when outside the church or so many people(especially people under 30 or so) in those circles who "like" stuff ranging from stuff that is mostly fine like the vast majority of the stuff the wilds/majesty music/ the pettit's/ the galkins etc. produce while at the same time also "liking" or posting things on their facebook pages ranging from mild CCM, to Christian rock, to completely secular worldly music that doesn't even pretend to have any Christian aspects. It is sad because there were/are a lot of good Christians in that group/camp or whatever you want to call it but many in that group seem to be headed toward the neo-evangelical side of things with, as might be expected, an ever increasing hostility toward those who are not heading down the same path. I am sure there are many in those circles who still hold strong convictions but unfortunately there does seem to be a strong tilt away from that. I certainly don't have any animosity toward that "group" and many of my best bible teachers as a child came out of those circles, however unfortunately things can and do change with time... Proverbs 27:23-24 applies in a spiritual sense as well as a physical one...

You really hit the nail on the head with this paragraph. This is something which I'm seeing within our church now. We have a small group of people who are trying to bring Christian rock music into the church by simply toning down the music to it. Along with their Christian rock music they're also trying to bring in liberal theology and modern versions of the Bible such as The Message. What's even more amazing is the apathy that many others in the church have towards such worldly compromise. Most of them act in a manner as though it doesn't matter which way the church goes they're just along for the ride. I find it sad that so few today will really take a stand on the Word of God and the principles found therein.

Seeing CCM coming into churches, slowly over a time period, people grow use to it, thinking nothing is wrong with it.

We have the acceptance of Mormonism growing before our eyes right now because of the republican candidate, & if he wins the election over the next several years acceptance of this cult will just grow even larger.

I've seen the acceptance of the church of Christ grow tremendously during my life time, now they are a main line church & even Christians now calls them a Christian church, yet they teach that without baptizing into their church, you cannot be saved, you cannot go to Heaven. And there's many other churches around that's teachings are just as dangerous as the churches of Christ that's being accepted as Christian.

But there will always be a few that will stand firm with Jesus, rejecting false teachings of all kinds, until Jesus comes for His own & Jesus Churches along with the Holy Spirit & ever saved person will be taken from this world.

But until that day the temptation to go along with the world will ever be increasing, & even Christians, as least professing Christians, will be pressing other Christians to accept the new music, the way of modern churches, or be left behind, left out. The world actually loves religion, as long as its a false religion, & many of the saved can't tell the difference between the 2 winding up supporting,attending, churches with ungodly teachings & music.

John, I'll answer this carefully, because I'm not sure if your use of the word "settle" was meant in a good way or bad.

If the churches are growing because of concerts and entertainment, I would want nothing to do with them. If a church has to entertain people to attract people and keep them in church, they're not there for the right reasons.

That's the Emergent Church and "Purpose Driven Church" mindset...appeal to the flesh. True "church" isn't about concerts, being hip, and entertaining...but that's what the church is becoming...and what was prophesied...

2 Timothy 3:5
Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.

2 Timothy 4:2-5
2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.
3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.
5 But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry.

Doesn't sound like Paul was instructing Timothy to appeal to people's flesh...

To clarify, I was using "settle" in the manner of what the entertainment centered churches would view such. We will "settle" for abiding by the Word of God while the entertainment centered churches won't. While we stand on the Word and let the Holy Ghost fill our pews, the entertainment centered churches stand upon marekting approaches and "fun and games" to fill their pews.

Sorry for the confusion, it was clear in my mind but that doesn't always translate as clearly in type!

You really hit the nail on the head with this paragraph. This is something which I'm seeing within our church now. We have a small group of people who are trying to bring Christian rock music into the church by simply toning down the music to it. Along with their Christian rock music they're also trying to bring in liberal theology and modern versions of the Bible such as The Message. What's even more amazing is the apathy that many others in the church have towards such worldly compromise. Most of them act in a manner as though it doesn't matter which way the church goes they're just along for the ride. I find it sad that so few today will really take a stand on the Word of God and the principles found therein.

I've seen this before. The problem really surfaced in an adult Sunday school. Someone brought some MV and they read something from it and a few in the class were confused because it didn't match their Bible. The pastor pointed out the Bible he and the church uses. Someone else said they didn't mind the guy reading from an MV. The pastor directed them to the confusion which had just surfaced because of the short passage the guy had read from his MV. Then a couple more joined in by basically saying the confusion was good! They argued that hearing the passage from a "different perspective" was helpful.

I was surprised at some of the folks who thought it not only okay, but good for MVs to be used.

It took awhile but the pastor finally got the matter settled for the moment and went on but once the issue had come up like that it was left boiling under the surface and boiled over again not long afterwards. Eventually much division and distress came to that church and things finally went the wrong way, the pastor couldn't halt the infection.

Ga 5:9 A little leaven leaveneth the whole lump.

Sad it is, it only takes a very small amount of leaven to bring down a good church. If the right one enters a church, they're in big trouble.

For instants several years back a Baptist Church of about 200 called a new pastor, little did they know it was a set up deal. Set up by a new member whose partner was a up & coming Baptist pastor. Within just a few months the back bone of this church had been ran out, them it became a homosexuals friendly church ran by open living homosexuals.

I read a book 10 or more years back, can't remember the name of it, but it was about how to tear a church down, & it gave several examples of churches torn down in just the past few years.

I read a book 10 or more years back, can't remember the name of it, but it was about how to tear a church down, & it gave several examples of churches torn down in just the past few years.

Was the book written by those that were trying to tear down churches, or by those watching it happen?

Usually those tearing down churches don't write about such things, they just quietly go about tearing down, it was written by a Baptist pastor who saw what was happening to many once good churches trying to warn people what's taking place.