• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

• Members

If Scofield were around today doing and saying what he did back then, many IFBs would be distancing themselves from him, condemning his lifestyle and false teachings, giving warning sermons about him. Yet for some reason, the passing of time and much tradition seems to make a difference for many which allows them to put on blinders towards him.

Yes, the same goes Abraham, Peter, Paul, David, Solomon, etc. etc. Many IFBers would have nothing to do with them. Yet, somehow John Calvin is still worshiped even after condemning people to death, setting up a church state and birthing some of the most heretical doctrines. But like someone has pointed out, a broken marriage is the only unforgivable sin among IFBers.

• Members

Thanks for everyone's help! After thinking about it more, I guess I just need one that better explains out-dated words. I don't necessarily need a commentary on the verses, as much as I would like a built in dictionary!! I don't know if one even exists...

I've heard that this one helps with "outdated" words.

KJV Sword Bible

KJV-bibles/study-bibles/KJV-sword-bible-large-print.html'>http://www.theKJvstore.com/KJV-bibles/study-bibles/KJV-sword-bible-large-print.html

This one too.

KJV-Study-Bible/dp/0310919606'>http://www.amazon.com/Zondervan-KJV-Study-Bible/dp/0310919606

Other than that a dictionary should help. Or just look online for the definition than write it in the margin.

• Members

Yes, the same goes Abraham, Peter, Paul, David, Solomon, etc. etc. Many IFBers would have nothing to do with them. Yet, somehow John Calvin is still worshiped even after condemning people to death, setting up a church state and birthing some of the most heretical doctrines. But like someone has pointed out, a broken marriage is the only unforgivable sin among IFBers.

Actually I don't know any IFBs who worship Calvin. In fact, most IFBs are against Calvin.

While there are some IFBs and Southern Baptists who view divorce practically as if it were an unforgivable sin, most don't. Scofield also taught the gap theory and other unbiblical views. He didn't set a good example in his life or his teachings. The point I am trying to make is if a preacher today lived as Scofield did and taught some of the things Scofield did, most IFBs would stand against that preacher so it's inconsistent when they take a different position with regards to Scofield.

• Members

I've heard that this one helps with "outdated" words.

KJV Sword Bible

http://www.theKJvstore.com/KJV-bibles/study-bibles/KJV-sword-bible-large-print.html

This one too.

http://www.amazon.com/Zondervan-KJV-Study-Bible/dp/0310919606

Other than that a dictionary should help. Or just look online for the definition than write it in the margin.

David Cloud offers a small, easy to use and very helpful book called "Concise King James Bible Dictionary".

• Members

Thanks for everyone's help! After thinking about it more, I guess I just need one that better explains out-dated words. I don't necessarily need a commentary on the verses, as much as I would like a built in dictionary!! I don't know if one even exists...

Might I recommend the Way Of Life Encyclopedia?

• Members

I have a King James Study Bible, and rarely ever use the "study" part of it. That is once I read the following after buying the Bible.
"The Zonderman KJV Study Bible is an adaptation of the Zonderman NASB Study Bible. Both titles use the same basic note structure that appears in the NIV Study Bible, 10th Anniversary Edition."

Most of the time I use the following Study Aids:

Noah Websters 1828 American Dictionary http://www.1828-dictionary.com/ (Also includes 1913 definitions)
Bible Gateway with default set to King James Bible - use as a concordance and to compare scripture in other versions

Those are the primary ones that I use. Additionally, here are a few others bookmarked.
Archaic King James Words: http://www.christiananswers.net/dictionary/KJVwords.html
King James Bible Concordance: http://www.thywordistrue.com/bible_concordance.php
King James Dictionary: http://www.biblestudytools.com/dictionaries/king-james-dictionary/
Blue Letter Bible: http://www.blueletterbible.org/
King James Bible on Line Dictionary: http://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/Free-Bible-Dictionary.php

Hope you find something useful for your needs from these.

• Members

Forget study bibles, those "helps" are man's word about what things mean, not God's. Even the famed old schofield has its problems.

I have yet to figure out why this attitude exists amongst God's people. Certainly God does not expect us to "reinvent the wheel" of doctrine in each successive generation.
Study Bibles are not any different than commentaries. And God's people should know that the notes in a study Bible or commentary are in fact man's understanding of God's Word. We as Bible Believing Baptists know and understand that the final authority is the Word of God - there is no debate about it.
However, my job as a Pastor (among other things) is to TEACH the word of God to our folks. Well, guess what?
In order for me to teach the word of God, I must first understand it myself. This requires a great deal of study and preparation.
If I have learned one thing in my years in the ministry, it is that I don't have all of the answers, and I don't always have a grasp on the meaning and intent of any given passage. So I read what I consider to be trusted sources for one purpose - to gain insight into the meaning of God's word. I then have a better grasp on the passage, and am therefore able to better teach our folks.

I personally thank God for the time and effort these men have put into their own personal study, and then compiling them into their own study Bibles. We don't have to agree on every jot and tittle of the NOTES - after all the notes are from MEN. But we can find a great deal of help in understanding the Scriptures from their work.
I don't agree with EVERYTHING Scofield or Ruckman say - but I have greatly benefitted from their work.
I don't agree with everything Larkin has said - but most of his material has been extremely helpful.

And when we start disregarding any particular person's contributions because of some open sin in their life, we become nothing more than self-righteous Pharisees. We set up our own standards, and demand that everyone abides by OUR standards. Often, our standards conflict with God's standards.
God used Moses to write the first five books of the Bible. But Moses messed up more than once, and wasted 40 years of his life on the backslide of the desert.
God used David to write many Psalms - yet David was an adulterer and murderer.
God used Jonah - even though it is not clear if Jonah ever repented of his bitterness.
God used Elijah - even though he got scared of Jezebel, and in his frustration quit on God.

So none of God's people - including ourselves - are perfect. We all have our sins. Some of us have open sins (divorce, etc.), but the rest of us have SECRET sins that nobody ever sees......and it is always the ones with the secret sins that are so quick to cast their condemnation upon the ones who are just as sincere, but are scarred by open sins.

The question then becomes NOT if somebody has sinned in the past, but if they are currently serving the Lord out of a sincere heart, and out of that sincerity are doing their best to do what is right and pleasing to God, according to the Scriptures.

I would say that despite whatever differences I might have with Scofield or Dr. Ruckman, or Dr. Rice, or Bullinger, etc., I believe these men were used of God to HELP us in our study and understanding of Scriptures, DESPITE their own faults, failures, or sins.

In Christ,

• Members

I have yet to figure out why this attitude exists amongst God's people. Certainly God does not expect us to "reinvent the wheel" of doctrine in each successive generation.
Study Bibles are not any different than commentaries. And God's people should know that the notes in a study Bible or commentary are in fact man's understanding of God's Word. We as Bible Believing Baptists know and understand that the final authority is the Word of God - there is no debate about it.
However, my job as a Pastor (among other things) is to TEACH the word of God to our folks. Well, guess what?
In order for me to teach the word of God, I must first understand it myself. This requires a great deal of study and preparation.
If I have learned one thing in my years in the ministry, it is that I don't have all of the answers, and I don't always have a grasp on the meaning and intent of any given passage. So I read what I consider to be trusted sources for one purpose - to gain insight into the meaning of God's word. I then have a better grasp on the passage, and am therefore able to better teach our folks.

I personally thank God for the time and effort these men have put into their own personal study, and then compiling them into their own study Bibles. We don't have to agree on every jot and tittle of the NOTES - after all the notes are from MEN. But we can find a great deal of help in understanding the Scriptures from their work.
I don't agree with EVERYTHING Scofield or Ruckman say - but I have greatly benefitted from their work.
I don't agree with everything Larkin has said - but most of his material has been extremely helpful.

And when we start disregarding any particular person's contributions because of some open sin in their life, we become nothing more than self-righteous Pharisees. We set up our own standards, and demand that everyone abides by OUR standards. Often, our standards conflict with God's standards.
God used Moses to write the first five books of the Bible. But Moses messed up more than once, and wasted 40 years of his life on the backslide of the desert.
God used David to write many Psalms - yet David was an adulterer and murderer.
God used Jonah - even though it is not clear if Jonah ever repented of his bitterness.
God used Elijah - even though he got scared of Jezebel, and in his frustration quit on God.

So none of God's people - including ourselves - are perfect. We all have our sins. Some of us have open sins (divorce, etc.), but the rest of us have SECRET sins that nobody ever sees......and it is always the ones with the secret sins that are so quick to cast their condemnation upon the ones who are just as sincere, but are scarred by open sins.

The question then becomes NOT if somebody has sinned in the past, but if they are currently serving the Lord out of a sincere heart, and out of that sincerity are doing their best to do what is right and pleasing to God, according to the Scriptures.

I would say that despite whatever differences I might have with Scofield or Dr. Ruckman, or Dr. Rice, or Bullinger, etc., I believe these men were used of God to HELP us in our study and understanding of Scriptures, DESPITE their own faults, failures, or sins.

In Christ,

If all those who pick up study Bibles were discerning they wouldn't be so dangerous but the fact is most pick up a study Bible because they are not yet discerning, not yet very biblically literate. Unfortunately, a great many who pick up these study Bibles take the notes to be virtually Scritpure since they are "in the Bible". This was one of the reasons King James ordered that study notes not be placed in the KJB.

That said, you do make a lot of good and valid points here. Also, if one is fairly well grounded in the Word and has matured in Christ enough to have some good discernment, they can sometimes gain from a study Bible. However, most who have made good progress in maturity and discernment in Christ find a study Bible to be of little help as they are in need of more than what can fit in the study Bible; they need an actual commentary with is much more in-depth.

I used a Ryrie study Bible someone bought me years ago. It was helpful in some things but I'm thankful I wasn't still young in the faith when I got it or I probably would have accepted stuff in the notes I should not. One drawback was having the notes right in the Bible made it seem as if there was no need to do further or more in-depth research, or to study matters out more. A Baptist pastor helped me see the error of that as he taught us (men's Bible study) good ways of Bible study.

Over the years I've been involved with and co-taught several Bible studies and I can't even begin to count the number of people that as soon as you ask a question they look to the notes in their study Bible and read it out as if that has to be the right answer; even though they often don't fully grasp the study note either. When there is no study note for a verse in question these same people stare blankly where they had hoped to find a study note, most often incapable or unwilling to put thought into the question and come up with a possible answer themselves.

The Apocrypha was originally included in the KJB for study purposes, not as Scripture itself, but was later removed because too many people were viewing the Apocrypha as sound as Scripture or even as Scripture since it was "in the Bible".

Unfortunately most professing Christians, at least in the West, are not very discerning when it comes to biblical matters. There is also the factor of laziness and the "I want it easy and I want it now" syndrome which infects most in the West. They don't want to study matters out, they want to believe whatever their pastor or favorite TV pastor says and whatever notes that are in their Bible. They don't want to take the time to be like the Bereans and study matters out to see if they are true, they want the instant answers and typically the first "answer" they get, they accept.

Some folks will argue and fight over the notes their chosen study Bible contains, thinking they are contending for the faith, when they are really contending for the perspective of the one who wrote the notes. It's bad to see professing Christians arguing that the notes in their study Bible are right and the next guys is wrong because they don't say the same thing, with none of them actually taking the time to compare the notes, read the verse the note is based upon, read the context of the verse, read related verses and study the matter out.

Anyway, in and of themselves, most study Bibles are not "bad", the problem is with how they are used. Some people can use them well and that's great. Many people don't use the correctly, with some who use them very wrongly. If a study Bible helps a person, they are good for them. If a study Bible becomes a hindrance to a person or becomes a lazy mans crutch, then they are not good for them.

• Members

Anyway, in and of themselves, most study Bibles are not "bad", the problem is with how they are used. Some people can use them well and that's great. Many people don't use the correctly, with some who use them very wrongly. If a study Bible helps a person, they are good for them. If a study Bible becomes a hindrance to a person or becomes a lazy mans crutch, then they are not good for them.

John, you raise a lot of good points...and I know what you are saying is true to a large degree...especially about people using their own "study Bible" as a crutch, and not actually getting into the Scriptures themselves to study.

I like how you stated your last paragraph, which I posted above.
I also like what you said about them not being truly adequate, and the person who really wants to dig deeper ends up getting a good commentary. How true....

Personally, I have many study Bibles....but I hardly use them for anything....other than to check them for a really difficult passage.
My own personal Bible I purchased from Local Church Bible Publishers - no notes - just text....and a wide margin so I can put my own notes in it.

Thanks for explaining your position....

In Christ,

• Members

John, you raise a lot of good points...and I know what you are saying is true to a large degree...especially about people using their own "study Bible" as a crutch, and not actually getting into the Scriptures themselves to study.

I like how you stated your last paragraph, which I posted above.
I also like what you said about them not being truly adequate, and the person who really wants to dig deeper ends up getting a good commentary. How true....

Personally, I have many study Bibles....but I hardly use them for anything....other than to check them for a really difficult passage.
My own personal Bible I purchased from Local Church Bible Publishers - no notes - just text....and a wide margin so I can put my own notes in it.

Thanks for explaining your position....

In Christ,

As I grew in my walk I shelved my study Bible and went with one that had no notes other than defining some of the "older" words. For my birthday this past spring I got a new text only Bible, probably the same one Bro Steve has, from Local Church Bible Publishers, wide margin, but mine is larger print for my over-50 eyes.

• Members

John, you said it far better than I can.

About 18 months ago I thought I wanted/needed a study Bible. Picked one out and better half gave it to me at Christmas. It's starting to fall apart and will soon be replaced with one only containing scripture and maybe a concordance.

1. Only after receiving it and reading the "fine print" discovered the following.

"The Zondervan KJV Study Bible is an adaptation of the Zondervan NASB Study Bible. Both of these titles are adaptations of the NIV Study Bible: 10th Anniversary Edition. The following acknowledgements recognize the contributions of those individuals involved in the development of The NIV Study Bible."

"The Zondervan KJV Study Bible is the work of a transdenominational team of conservative Biblical scholars."

"Doctrinally, the Zondervan KJV Study Bible reflects traditonal evangelical theology. Where editors were aware of significate differences of opinion on key passages or doctrines, they tried to follow an evenhanded approach by indicating differences." "In finding solutions to problems mentioned in the book introductions, they went only as far as the evidence (Biblical and non-Biblical) could carry them.

So what do I have in terms of the "study" portion at the bottom of every page of KJ scriptures?

2. A "study" Bible isn't the one to use in a Bible study class. Far too often the note on a verse references another verse, and sometimes that one references another. While trying to eventually get back to an explaination (note) on a verse, the class instructor has moved on, leaving me behind. In the meantime, what I've missed may be far more important than what's in a study note.

3. I've noticed the same things with regards to people who accept, without question, anything that's put between the covers of a Bible. And the same thing with folks who want to be spoon fed mashed carrots from a baby food jar. It's a sad fact that many professing Christians claim it's too hard to understand the scriptures. Yet, at the same time they know how to use every bell and whistle on their cell phone type gadget. (After owning a cell phone for almost a year, I finally learned how to add contacts this past week.)

In a few hours, Sunday school will be in session. If today is like most Sunday's it will soon become apparent that the same issues associated with study Bibles will be in the classroom, too.

Those who haven't bothered to read the quarterly lesson.
Those who accept without question the lesson commentary, while I want to shout THE BIBLE DOESN'T SAY THAT!
Those who quote TV preachers, and other TV "experts" as if they were gospel themselves.
And, those who keep looking at their watch.

Sorry, I think I got on a rant this morning. I'm just a layman struggling with what I see, read, and hear around me. Can't begin to imagine the struggle of those who will be in the pulpit this morning.