• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Who Is Your Favorite Pastor Among John Piper, John Macarthur, Max Lucado, Joshua Harris, Aiden Tozer, And Charles Spurgeon. Why?

• Members

I don't know if I could call any of them my favorites. Piper is a 7 point Calvinist who thinks Rick Warren has good theology. He is also weak on his conviction of believers baptism. MacArthur has some good theology but is also a Calvinist who allows CCM music in his church and also yokes with people that he should not. Spurgeon was pretty good and even though a Calvinist he did things to get on other Calvinists nerves. David Cloud on the other hand would be one of my favorites.

• Moderators

Of those ones, I would have to say A.W. Tozer. Piper and Macarthur are Calvinists, which is a false doctrine and very dangerous, since it is creeping into many IFB churches. Harris has some good books. Have you ever read the Rebelution survey completed by his younger brothers?

Hey, Pilgrimspen, you should try out the following preachers. They're some of my favorites! You can probably find their sermons online at SermonAudio.

David Cloud, John and Jim van Gelderen, Richard Flanders, Dave Webster, David Harness (That's my pastor. :)http://www.victorybaptistsherwoodpark.ca/victory-sermons/)

For writings, Jonathan and Rosalind Goforth, Andrew Murray, and David Cloud have some excellent books. A lot of them are available free online.

• Members

John MacArthur did not believe in the atoning blood. That is documented online by a statement he wrote himself. That's enough to toss him out. The others, well flip a coin, you get what you seek after.

I would go with Spurgeon, he is considered a Calvinist, but sees both sides, which is a rare thing among believers. He says that both arguments are true.

Edited by irishman

• Members

Most of them I have only heard of, but Spurgeon has two volume which I believe are very useful. 1. The Treasury of David, on the Psalms, which includes notes to "The village preacher." 2: Morning and Evening. Daily bible readings.

• Members

John MacArthur did not believe in the atoning blood. That is documented online by a statement he wrote himself. That's enough to toss him out. The others, well flip a coin, you get what you seek after.

I would go with Spurgeon, he is considered a Calvinist, but sees both sides, which is a rare thing among believers. He says that both arguments are true.

Irishman is correct. I wish that I could remember MacArthurs's exact statement, but it was basically something along this line...

It's not Jesus' blood that atones; it's his death.

When MacArthur was asked to explain his position since the Bible makes it clear that it's the blood that atones, he said something along this line...

When I read about Jesus' blood being shed, I realize it's speaking about his death...

In my opinion, that's heretical. Edited by No Nicolaitans

• Members

Oh... that's sad to know because my pastor's wife and my pastor recommends John MacArthur books to me. I first read the STANDING STRONG (about spiritual warfare). BEcause many evangelicals/pentecostals believe in the mission of casting evil spirits out in places and people. The names that you mentioned are new to me. Yes, I've heard that about MacArthur but he explained and he said he never said that. Here's the article... http://www.spurgeon.org/~phil/articles/blood.htm

• Members

I worked with a man for years that followed MacArthur, and he had me listen to a few tapes, since we were discussing a few rather important doctrines, and If I remember right, John said something about "bloodshed" referring to a killing or a death, and clearly said that it was the death and NOT the blood. Of course, as the article that was posted said, there would death usually has blood being shed, but strangulation and asphyxiation does not, nor does poisoning. There can be death without blood, but not for our atonement. Heb 9:22 makes that clear after we remove the silly arguments that it was Old Testament, and impertinent today.

• Administrators

Oh... that's sad to know because my pastor's wife and my pastor recommends John MacArthur books to me. I first read the STANDING STRONG (about spiritual warfare). BEcause many evangelicals/pentecostals believe in the mission of casting evil spirits out in places and people. The names that you mentioned are new to me. Yes, I've heard that about MacArthur but he explained and he said he never said that. Here's the article... http://www.spurgeon....icles/blood.htm
I've heard that he explained that he never said that...but I heard the sermon where he did...Too many preachers say things and when confronted with them deny it.

Check out the Starr's books as well: http://www.starr-pub...s.com/main.html Mrs. Starr has a series of books for women on various issues. She is continually adding to the series. I know her personally and know that she lives what she writes. Bro. Starr also writes books that would be good to read. None of them are long, and they are actually quick reads.

• Members

I admire them and their writings. I have some of their works.. excluding Charles Spurgeon but I have seen a documentary about Charles Spurgeon he's also admirable.

Macarthur's quote about Christ's blood can be found in his book, "Right thinking in a world gone wrong." Piper and Macarthur are gross heretics but don't hold a candle to the apostasy of Max Lucado! The doctrine of separation was given to us to protect us from those who would separate us from God, knowingly or otherwise. Stay away from these types. The lady advising you on these books is slipping into or has already slipped into the charismatic, post-modern, evangelical dead end.

This lady should be counseled about these heretical authors she's peddling and if she does not repent, publicly outted so as to warn and protect others.