• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Your Story Hour

• Members

Yes they are children's stories.

I go by content then...if they are just stories with good morals, just check them first and use them. My kids listen to stories like Mother Goose and other books that were not written by Christians...so unless you standard is that all stories need to be written by Christians, I don't see why the tapes would be bad. Just weed out any you disagree with and keep the rest...esp as you spent all that money.

• Members

I go by content then...if they are just stories with good morals, just check them first and use them. My kids listen to stories like Mother Goose and other books that were not written by Christians...so unless you standard is that all stories need to be written by Christians, I don't see why the tapes would be bad. Just weed out any you disagree with and keep the rest...esp as you spent all that money.

I agree, Suzy. :smile

• Members

Are you talking about the "Uncle Dan and Aunt Sue" stories? I have the entire set of these (something like 60 tapes), but they are not produced by "Your Story Hour." (I got them free from a friend who was getting rid of them.) I wonder if "Your Story Hour" just took the content in the set I have (from Christian Educational Services--I think from the '70s or '80s) and just added introductions to them and relabeled them. I'd be interested in this info, although I agree with Kevin and Kita that the content is what I go by when determining what is acceptable for the kids to listen to.

• Members
Are you talking about the "Uncle Dan and Aunt Sue" stories? I have the entire set of these (something like 60 tapes)' date=' but they are not produced by "Your Story Hour." (I got them free from a friend who was getting rid of them.) I wonder if "Your Story Hour" just took the content in the set I have (from Christian Educational Services--I think from the '70s or '80s) and just added introductions to them and relabeled them. I'd be interested in this info, although I agree with Kevin and Kita that the content is what I go by when determining what is acceptable for the kids to listen to.[/quote']

Yes. Those are produced by Your Story Hour. In determining what is appropriate for my family I not only go by content but I also consider the source. The Bible says that a good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit and an evil tree cannot bring forth good fruit.

• Members

So I'm just curious....not being sarcastic or anything, please don't take it as that. But do you disallow your children from reading or listening to anything other than things written or produced by IFB Christians?

• Members
It appears to me that the recordings themselves (Uncle Dan and Aunt Sue) are much older than the "Your Story Hour" company. The set of tapes I have (which are identical in content to the ones on Your Story Hour) seem to be about thirty years old, and are packaged under a different label, Christian Educational Services, in a velvet-lined, vinyl suitcase. They're "vintage." I know I listened to them when I was little (thirty years ago), and they weren't called "Your Story Hour." What I'm saying, then, is that if this is true, then Your Story Hour probably just bought the rights to duplicate something that someone else had produced...so, Your Story Hour is not the entity which scripted them at all...so, their content could not have been "corrupted."

• Members

I did some checking and found that Christian Educational Services is cult.

http://www.pfo.org/ceducate.html

I've never heard of any of these people.

You must have thought the stories were good since you ordered them.

It's been many, many years ago but there was once a program on TV (can't recall the name right now but that host is surely passed away by now) and it just amounted to a guy reading some of the Word of God and talking about it for the duration of the half hour program. I saw some good programs there but later found out the guy was SDA. Other than when he touched on the Saturday Sabbath issue, his programs were good.

That said, I wouldn't endorse the guy, his program or the SDA, but one could glean some edification from some of what he put forth.

• Members

Well whatever you do, just remember this verse:

Romans 14:23
And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin.

Although you probably thought of it already.

If your having doubts about using them, then you definitely should get rid of them.

Better to be safe than sorry.

• Administrators

When my son was a baby, I would listen to "Your Story Hour." I enjoyed most of the stories, until they got to the story of Samuel being called by God. The storytellers had Samuel running in to Eli and calling him "your grace." That smacked too much of Catholicism to me!!! I never ordered the stories, though.

It's too bad that you spent the money already. I think Sean had a good point. If you strongly believe that you would be wrong to allow your children to listen to them, then you need to dispose of them. Personally, I believe we (I haven't asked my hubby, but I do think he'd agree) would listen to them and take each one on its merits and how it lines up with scripture. But as the head of your home, you need to do what you believe God would have you do.

Have you heard of Aunt Carolyn? She has a number of very good books written by her (or revised by her), illustrated by her husband's niece, and tapes that accompany the stories with her telling it. She's good (of course, I attended college there for 2 years, knew her and worked with her, so I'm a bit biased... :Green ). http://www.childrensbibleclub.com/index.htm

She also has a series of tapes on the pilgrims. And, although they aren't Baptist, they are fundamental.