• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

brosmith

Your Story Hour

I am not sure if anyone has ever heard of this radio program but I just found out that it is produced by the Seventh Day Adventists. It made me sick to my stomach because I had just purchased some of their tapes for my family.

Guest Guest

Oh...I have done that before brosmith...yeah, on accident like you. :smile

I usually get rid of them---you, know (throw them away.) Was it expensive? :-)

Oh...I have done that before brosmith...yeah, on accident like you. :smile

I usually get rid of them---you, know (throw them away.) Was it expensive? :-)

about $80 for 4 cassette albums

Guest Guest

about $80 for 4 cassette albums

Ouch!! That hurts, brother. I don't like it when something like that happens. :sad

As far as I am concerned they are polluted because they were produced by a cult.

If you believe they are polluted and you won't allow your family to hear them why would you want to put them in the hands of others so their hearts can be polluted from hearing them?

Since you already spent the money I'd listen and see if there is anything bad in them. If not...I would still use them as long as nothing wrong is being taught.

I've never heard of it so I"m not familiar with it.

Guest Guest

I have an idea, Brosmith. You could listen to them privately (you and your wife.) Since you are doctrinally strong---you might want to gather some information to witness to SDA's. Do you have any SDA people your area?

I have an idea' date=' Brosmith. You could listen to them privately (you and your wife.) Since you are doctrinally strong---you might want to gather some information to witness to SDA's. Do you have any SDA people your area?[/quote']

We don't have SDAs around here but we do have JWs. I would rather dispose of the tapes.

Yes they are children's stories.

I go by content then...if they are just stories with good morals, just check them first and use them. My kids listen to stories like Mother Goose and other books that were not written by Christians...so unless you standard is that all stories need to be written by Christians, I don't see why the tapes would be bad. Just weed out any you disagree with and keep the rest...esp as you spent all that money.

I go by content then...if they are just stories with good morals, just check them first and use them. My kids listen to stories like Mother Goose and other books that were not written by Christians...so unless you standard is that all stories need to be written by Christians, I don't see why the tapes would be bad. Just weed out any you disagree with and keep the rest...esp as you spent all that money.

I agree, Suzy. :smile

Are you talking about the "Uncle Dan and Aunt Sue" stories? I have the entire set of these (something like 60 tapes), but they are not produced by "Your Story Hour." (I got them free from a friend who was getting rid of them.) I wonder if "Your Story Hour" just took the content in the set I have (from Christian Educational Services--I think from the '70s or '80s) and just added introductions to them and relabeled them. I'd be interested in this info, although I agree with Kevin and Kita that the content is what I go by when determining what is acceptable for the kids to listen to.

Are you talking about the "Uncle Dan and Aunt Sue" stories? I have the entire set of these (something like 60 tapes)' date=' but they are not produced by "Your Story Hour." (I got them free from a friend who was getting rid of them.) I wonder if "Your Story Hour" just took the content in the set I have (from Christian Educational Services--I think from the '70s or '80s) and just added introductions to them and relabeled them. I'd be interested in this info, although I agree with Kevin and Kita that the content is what I go by when determining what is acceptable for the kids to listen to.[/quote']

Yes. Those are produced by Your Story Hour. In determining what is appropriate for my family I not only go by content but I also consider the source. The Bible says that a good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit and an evil tree cannot bring forth good fruit.

So I'm just curious....not being sarcastic or anything, please don't take it as that. But do you disallow your children from reading or listening to anything other than things written or produced by IFB Christians?

It appears to me that the recordings themselves (Uncle Dan and Aunt Sue) are much older than the "Your Story Hour" company. The set of tapes I have (which are identical in content to the ones on Your Story Hour) seem to be about thirty years old, and are packaged under a different label, Christian Educational Services, in a velvet-lined, vinyl suitcase. They're "vintage." I know I listened to them when I was little (thirty years ago), and they weren't called "Your Story Hour." What I'm saying, then, is that if this is true, then Your Story Hour probably just bought the rights to duplicate something that someone else had produced...so, Your Story Hour is not the entity which scripted them at all...so, their content could not have been "corrupted."

I did some checking and found that Christian Educational Services is cult.

http://www.pfo.org/ceducate.html

I've never heard of any of these people.

You must have thought the stories were good since you ordered them.

It's been many, many years ago but there was once a program on TV (can't recall the name right now but that host is surely passed away by now) and it just amounted to a guy reading some of the Word of God and talking about it for the duration of the half hour program. I saw some good programs there but later found out the guy was SDA. Other than when he touched on the Saturday Sabbath issue, his programs were good.

That said, I wouldn't endorse the guy, his program or the SDA, but one could glean some edification from some of what he put forth.