• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

14-Year-Old Phoenix Boy Shoots Armed Intruder

• Members

My prayer is that my children would do the exact same thing should some thug bust down our down on the off chance I'm not at home. In Florida, the parent could still be charged for leaving a firearm within access of a minor. We're supposed to keep them locked up and unloaded by law.

Good goin' kid! I hope you witnessed to the bad guy while he was down on the ground and your 12 year old sibling was duct-taping his hands together while you covered him with your Dad's weapon.

• Members

At 14 I was taking care of my siblings after school, getting them throu dinner, homework, as my parents both worked evenings.

Sorry, I agree. I misread that, I thought the eldest was 12.

• Moderators

At 10 I was mowing yards, at 12 babysitting, at 13 pitching bales, at 15 working in a fast food joint. I graduated High School at 17 with a 3.89 GPA (many years ago).

Today's kids are growing up lazy and irresponsible and many times the parents are culpable.

• Members

Today, in public school, if the boy plays sports, he has not time for work. Especially football, they practice year around except for 2 week dead period.

Many school nights my grandson during his junior year, would not get back to his school till after 11:00 PM, sometimes much later than that, from basketball, baseball, track, when the event were held at other schools.

• Members

At 10 I was mowing yards, at 12 babysitting, at 13 pitching bales, at 15 working in a fast food joint. I graduated High School at 17 with a 3.89 GPA (many years ago).

Today's kids are growing up lazy and irresponsible and many times the parents are culpable.

Absolutely!

Also if we look to our past, even our not too distant past, we see that by the time youth entered the teen years they were expected to be young men, not little boys. Back then there were many who joined the army or navy at 14 or 15 years old, many left home to work and begin their own lives, while those who remained at home were a busy part of working the family farm or business, or they got work elsewhere to help support their family.

A couple generations ago we taught children to become adults. By the time they were in their early teens most youth were ready to take on many adult responsibilities and were expected to conduct themselves as young men and women, not as children.

Today we teach children to remain children, to hold onto immaturity, to do all they can to avoid responsibility, to act like little children throughout their teens, to carry immaturity and lack of responsibility over into their 20s. Among an ever growing number this carries over into their 30s and byond.

This situation with the 14 year old was a bad one but he handled it well. A 14 year old boy should be expected to protect his family, to be the man of the house when dad isn't present. He did the right thing. Unless "social workers" put a bunch of garbage into these childrens minds, the siblings of that 14 year old will remember when possible tragedy was averted by their brothers brave action.

• Members

The whole situation was a bad one. i don't say that the kid should not have shot, but what about the young siblings seeing their brother kill someone right in their living room? The whole ordeal will always affect them, I am sure.

Seeing their brother shoot someone is a whole lot better to their memory than if that armed intruder had been victorious.

• Members

Absolutely!

Also if we look to our past, even our not too distant past, we see that by the time youth entered the teen years they were expected to be young men, not little boys. Back then there were many who joined the army or navy at 14 or 15 years old, many left home to work and begin their own lives, while those who remained at home were a busy part of working the family farm or business, or they got work elsewhere to help support their family.

A couple generations ago we taught children to become adults. By the time they were in their early teens most youth were ready to take on many adult responsibilities and were expected to conduct themselves as young men and women, not as children.

Today we teach children to remain children, to hold onto immaturity, to do all they can to avoid responsibility, to act like little children throughout their teens, to carry immaturity and lack of responsibility over into their 20s. Among an ever growing number this carries over into their 30s and byond.

This situation with the 14 year old was a bad one but he handled it well. A 14 year old boy should be expected to protect his family, to be the man of the house when dad isn't present. He did the right thing. Unless "social workers" put a bunch of garbage into these childrens minds, the siblings of that 14 year old will remember when possible tragedy was averted by their brothers brave action.

That bears repeating with emphasis!

As far back as I can remember, our parents gave us as much responsiblity as our age would permit. As the elder of 5, not only did I experience this, I watched it happen as my siblings grew.

An often heard phrase: Act your age! You're too old for that.

• Members

That bears repeating with emphasis!

As far back as I can remember, our parents gave us as much responsiblity as our age would permit. As the elder of 5, not only did I experience this, I watched it happen as my siblings grew.

An often heard phrase: Act your age! You're too old for that.

I've noticed several times in recent years that when a parent uses the "act your age" phrase, if there are others around they jump to the defense of the children/youth and tell the parents "they are only children...let them play...that's how children are...don't push them to grow up" and those sort of things.

We actually had a neighbor call the police on us a few years ago claiming child abuse because my two sons were helping me rake leaves! My sons were 12 and 8 at the time and were having a good time working with dad. Thankfully the police weren't liberal nutcases and didn't see my sons raking leaves with me as child abuse.

My own sister thinks we are mean to our children because we expect them to do a few chores and take care of their own stuff (like folding and putting away their own laundry, making their beds, keeping their room cared for). My Dad started me helping to mow the yard when I was 9 but my sister thought it terrible when I had our oldest son start helping with the yard when he was 12.

On the other hand, now and then an older person will comment upon the politeness and helpfulness of my children.

Then there are those who just don't get it. They will comment about how my children help around the house and seem to enjoy themselves and then they complain their children won't do anything. When I ask them why they don't just tell their children they have to do something (the dishes, pull weeds, whatever) they always have the same sort of reply, they give an embarassed laugh and say their children wouldn't do it if they told them to. Sad.