• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Opportunities For Ministry

• Members

Last July, I got assaulted at the Gospel Mission where I worked, got knocked back, hit my head and broke my right elbow. Got back from the hospital and was let go with no explanation (and no investigation into what happened). After putting 4 1/2 years volunteering and five years of working into that Mission - including 7 1/2 years of preaching - I was in a dark place until recently. I moved to Abbotsford, BC, to be near my brother (same apartment building, but my own place). Was afraid/unwilling to start attending a new church home, so did not find one until several weeks ago.

To make a long story short, I was backslidden - because I had lost my purpose and just gave up. I am back on track, sincerely repented of how I wandered (yes, Thirsting In This Wilderness poem was a testimony of sorts). This new church has welcomed me with open arms - a lot of seniors, but God has always given me a special care for them (I used to volunteer for years at Senior's homes too) - and some ministry opportunities are coming together quickly. I am starting visitation with the pastor and helped a bit with their service at a Senior's home yesterday. Got opportunities to do street preaching on Friday evenings in Vancouver. The Pastor is going on vacation for several weeks in July, and he has the pulpit covered on Sundays - but was wondering what to do about the Wednesday evening services as the interm preachers couldn't come on those nights. The pastor had checked out my blogs/websites, and overheard me talking with the man I might be doing street preaching with. He offered me the opportunity to lead the services and do the Wednesday evening Bible studies for those three weeks (he of course does not want to shut the church down even if a smaller number of people come out for midweek services). I told him he needed to pray about it first - though I have peace of mind and joy about these various opportunities.

Please Pray that the Lord's will would be done and these doors would be opened if that is where He wants me. Pray that I will continue to maintain and strengthen my spiritual walk with the Lord and will be where I need to be spiritually to be used of the Lord in these capacities.

As hard as it was to uproot from Kelowna and move to Abbotsford, I know I would never have left the city I have lived in for 16 of the last 18 years if those doors weren't closed - so I am starting to believe the Lord used the Mission's betrayal towards me for good.

• Members

That's great, Jerry! I know you're an encouragement to your new pastor...I know how excited my husband is if somebody new comes to the church and wants to help serve....

• Members

Spoke with the pastor and made the final arrangements to cover the next three Wednesday services. Looking forward to it - and excited about preaching/teaching in a slightly different format and area than I have normally done. So far I think I am going to cover My Hiding Place (Psalm 32) one week, and Jesus being the Lily in all our valleys (of life) from Song of Solomon 2:1-2 another week. The third one I have yet to decide on (with the Lord's leading, of ourse). I have preached messages on both these passages before and I think they would be easy to adapt in a church Bible study format so that they are a blessing to the Christians there and a witness to any unsaved who may be present.

It is so awesome to be part of a new church with excited believers. Somehow older faithful Christians have a lot of neat testimonies to share, and a passion to see younger preachers serving the Lord. I don't feel like the odd one out here, like I have so much in the past with a church full of families and me one of the only single people in the church.

Looking forward to being a part of the street preaching this Friday too.

• Members

Thank you all for your encouragement and prayers. I had a hard time at first trying to decide what to preach on - but one of the men from the church told me to cover what was burning in my heart as I was reading and studying the Bible.

Tonight, I will be adapting and combining two messages I have preached before - Wrestling Until The Daybreak (on the life of Jacob) combined with some athletic metaphors on the Christian life. Next week, Lord willing, I will preach about Judah being the surety for Benjamin, picturing Jesus The Sinner's Surety. Then the third week preaching When Life Doesn't Go As You Planned, on the life of Joseph and God's providential care behind the scenes.

Thank you all for your encouragement and prayers. I had a hard time at first trying to decide what to preach on - but one of the men from the church told me to cover what was burning in my heart as I was reading and studying the Bible.

Tonight, I will be adapting and combining two messages I have preached before - Wrestling Until The Daybreak (on the life of Jacob) combined with some athletic metaphors on the Christian life. Next week, Lord willing, I will preach about Judah being the surety for Benjamin, picturing Jesus The Sinner's Surety. Then the third week preaching When Life Doesn't Go As You Planned, on the life of Joseph and God's providential care behind the scenes.

Amen! Keep working toward pleasing God and His will becomes your will. You're in my daily prayers.

• Members

Well, I survived. The message went really well, but I faltered a bit on leading the singing (so scary), until a couple of good singers jumped in and then it went alright.

No matter what, I did what the Lord had planned for me, and I stepped out of my comfort zone in obedience. I believe the Lord will bless His Word. I truly thank you for your prayers.