• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Bible-College Student Arrested In New York For Having Pocketknife

• Members
Bible-college student arrested in New York for having pocketknife

You've got to be kidding me!

When will I get arrested, I carry a pocket knife everywhere I go. I feel lost without it. And I'm 65 going on 66, & never been in trouble with my pocket knife. And yes, when I was a young boy I always had one in my pocket wherever I went. I feel lost without my pocket knife.

PS. On a shelf here is my study I have pocket knifes that were my grand father's, & my father's, & also my grand fathers strait razor is laying there with them. Now that I stated that they may well come after me.

• Moderators

Many states have started the nonsense of thinking a knife that can be opened with one hand is only useful for criminal activity. Many times I have had a need to open a knife with one hand due to the other being unavailable. My Pa-in-law had one inoperable arm due to a stroke -- all his knives had to be one handed.

• Administrators

It's just another way to disarm and (dare I say it?) emasculate...I say emasculate because who usually carries pocket knives? Boys/men. There is a strange (from a woman's perspective, but not weird strange) fascination for boys have for pocket knives. My son actually has a nice collection....Jerry8, your collection is neat!

• Members

Many states have started the nonsense of thinking a knife that can be opened with one hand is only useful for criminal activity. Many times I have had a need to open a knife with one hand due to the other being unavailable. My Pa-in-law had one inoperable arm due to a stroke -- all his knives had to be one handed.

Many farmers, as well as other workers, used to carry switch blades because they could be opened one hand and worked great. Then those were outlawed so many switched to regular pocket knives until they came out with the thumb peg so they could be opened one handed. Farmers and others find them very handy for work.

Unfortunately, there seems to be a growing move to have these knives banned too.

A pocket knife is useful for so many things, they shouldn't try to take them away from everyone just because some criminal punks use them as weapons sometimes.

• Members

Many farmers, as well as other workers, used to carry switch blades because they could be opened one hand and worked great. Then those were outlawed so many switched to regular pocket knives until they came out with the thumb peg so they could be opened one handed. Farmers and others find them very handy for work.

Unfortunately, there seems to be a growing move to have these knives banned too.

A pocket knife is useful for so many things, they shouldn't try to take them away from everyone just because some criminal punks use them as weapons sometimes.

I agree, they should not take them away from everyone. Tire irons have been used a lot in crimes, but we still have tire irons.

• Members

Here in UK you can be arrested for carrying anything that can be considered an offensive weapon, guns, knives, knuckle dusters, CS sprays, w.h.y?

When I travel on a cross channel ferry, I have often been stopped by security and asked, Did you pack your car yourself? Where are you travelling to, How long are you away for? Do you have any knives or guns? Recently they have added mirrors to look under your car. This is a random check, but at one time I seem to be stopped almost every time I travelled, usually when I am a bit late for my ferry. The silly part of this is that there is no similar security check on the French side.

• Members

Here in UK you can be arrested for carrying anything that can be considered an offensive weapon, guns, knives, knuckle dusters, CS sprays, w.h.y?

When I travel on a cross channel ferry, I have often been stopped by security and asked, Did you pack your car yourself? Where are you travelling to, How long are you away for? Do you have any knives or guns? Recently they have added mirrors to look under your car. This is a random check, but at one time I seem to be stopped almost every time I travelled, usually when I am a bit late for my ferry. The silly part of this is that there is no similar security check on the French side.

That's sad. You seem to be saying they check you as your leaving the country, if so do they check like that coming back in?

World turned upside down...AGAIN!

The report said the arrest will likely drop from Baltzer’s record in a year, but that Baltzer may have soured on the Big Apple.

He probably will never take a slice off that big apple with his pocket knife either.

I too am a card carrying member of the hand-cuffed without one crowd. I cut dandelions out of the yard with it, cut twine, and cut a slice of apple (without washing it between those jobs).I scraped dust off old boards to see the grain. I don't play mumbly peg with it.

• Members

I recall back in my school days they had a set length ones pocket knife could be. That's been many years ago, it may have been 3 & 1/2 inches.

Some of the boys did bring switch blade knifes to school as well as some that were to long, & went home without them if a teacher happened to find out. I never owned one.

• Members

Guess I'm in trouble, again. I'd probably be thrown under the jail, if I get caught.

Right pocket is home to a utility knife similar to this one. http://www.lowes.com/pd_226104-16878-53258_0__?productId=1268945&Ntt=utility+knife&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNtt%3Dutility%2Bknife&facetInfo= I use it just about everyday for something.

Dispenser of blades are in my left pocket, along with a traditional pocket knife.

Then, there's the miniature Swiss Army knife that stays on my keyring.

And, if I'm going to be doing any work in my shop, there's usually a multi-function tool on my belt that has a knife blade, as well as a couple of other cutting tools.

Guess I should re-think how I'm dressed today.......

Nope!

• Members

That's sad. You seem to be saying they check you as your leaving the country, if so do they check like that coming back in?

No, except passports by the British immigration dept. which has a presence in Calais, France. Last week the delay was so great at immigration that we missed the boat we were hoping to catch. French immigration has a presence here but often they don't even look at your passport, that is if there is anyone in their office.

• Members

Missing the boat could mean a long costly wait I suppose

No, it wasn't a long wait. It meant that we were late back home. We are allowed to catch one boat before, or one after the one we are booked on before we have to pay extra.