• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Reading The Bible To Your Baby

• Members

P_Bear, I remember being in your situation 13 years ago and wondering the exact same thing. How I wanted to instill Scripture in my children from the earliest age! I used The Bible in Pictures for Little Eyes--the one with realistic "painting-type" illustrations instead of the more cartoony ones in the current editions of that book. (Maybe you could find a used one at www.addall.com or something.) I would just sit with my babies and talk about the pictures..."This is Adam. This is Eve"...etc., and as they developed cognitively, I'd add things to the stories until finally I was reading the actual stories to them.
I also played Scripture for them at night: two lovely CD's that are now out of circulation called "Psalms in the Night" and--ooh, I can't remember the name of the other one right now, but it was comprised of Scriptures that focused on the death and resurrection of Christ. The CD's played soft, "night-time" music in the background, and a male voice and female voice alternated reading the Scriptures. The CD's were actually put together by a mom and grandpa who had the same desire for their kids as we do for ours.
Another thing I did was to make up my own cassette tapes for them to listen to during their "alone playtime." On the tape, I recited nursery rhymes, sang songs, and even had the kids sing along with me (they love hearing their own voices). I also included (more than once) a full passage of Scripture, like Psalm 1 or Psalm 23. I was surprised how soon the kids memorized what was on the tape. Their minds are like sponges!
God bless you as you rear your child for him!

• Administrators

Playing the Bible on audio is a great idea. We did that often with our son when he was a bit older (I say when he was older because we didn't think of it when he was younger...when he was older, we did it as a tool to help with Bible memory - and it worked uber well!). When he was 11 months old, I spent time telling him Bible stories and poems that were Bible-based. I did some of the same things Annie mentioned, only I used flashcards instead of the book (because I had the cards).

When you are talking to him, quoting verses is a good thing, too. Hearing scripture in his mommy and daddy's voices is really good, too.

• Members

Thank you! I'm also excited because he's in daycare (a Christian one) and when he goes into the 1-year-old class, they begin doing Bible lessons for 20 minutes a day. I'm anxious to see what he learns in school! Right now he's in the infant room and they plan nursery rhymes and christian music throughout the day. I really love it there :)

Hello. I'm a first time mom and I have an 11-month old son. I want to start him early with Bible reading, but I don't know when to begin. I don't think that he will be able to understand (or even focus his attention) for long enough to read anything to him. We have a few books that have Bible stories in them... should I just start there? I have a friend who actually plays an audio Bible for their children while they are sleeping, but I'm not sure how effective that actually is. Does anyone have any suggestions on this?

I would say read it and don't worry about the focus, read aloud to him (softly if sleeping :snooze: ). I wish God had revealed it to me for my children.

• Members

The first I ever read to my youngest(our daughter) was a "Little Golden Book" with the whole 23rd Psalm, King James, no less. Months before her 2nd birthday. she could quote the 23rd Psalm word for word. She couldn't read, mind you, but as I turned each page, she would rattle it off as if she could. :) Now she teaches Sunday School. It isn't too early to start.