• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Patch The Pirate Goes Contemporary (With The Blessings Of Majesty Music)

brosmith

• Members

Associations are something to be concerned about, yes. However, I think we can take this too far. There are TV shows and movies about everything under the sun - treasure hunts, mountain climbing, exploring, animals, etc., and I've seen VBS programs for just about as many things too. We could just as easily say that a child will watch Indiana Jones because he had an adventure-themed VBS.  I'm not sure whether pirates are the best connotation to have or not, but if they aren't I don't think it would be on account of associations, but inherent negative characteristics.

BlessedSongs, the Hamiltons are indeed going contemporary. :( They have produced excellent music for a long time, and an excellent presentation on the danger of rock music, but the later Patch albums I have heard have definite contemporary characteristics.  Sad...

Thanks for the feedback, I'll take this into consideration. I've just not personally heard or seen anything yet (aside from this post) that would tarnish my view of Majesty music.  Again, I'm not intimately familiar with their ministry. If this is true, it is indeed sad.

If anyone can link to an example of any example that supports their view, I'd be interested in seeing it.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm really neither for, nor against, Hamilton music.   I think it's pretty conservative as IFB music goes these days...but all of it is moving "left" so....*shrug*   A lot of it is personal preference.

We do need to pray for the family, as evidently their oldest son, Jonathan, committed suicide Saturday night.

A lot goes on in families who are in full time ministry.  It's not an easy road.  The devil is working hard to discourage those serving God and send them into despair.

After being in the ministry for almost 17 years, I can no longer pass judgement on fellow ministry families who have these types of problems.  My heart goes out to them.

• Members

I'm really neither for, nor against, Hamilton music.   I think it's pretty conservative as IFB music goes these days...but all of it is moving "left" so....*shrug*   A lot of it is personal preference.

We do need to pray for the family, as evidently their oldest son, Jonathan, committed suicide Saturday night.

A lot goes on in families who are in full time ministry.  It's not an easy road.  The devil is working hard to discourage those serving God and send them into despair.

After being in the ministry for almost 17 years, I can no longer pass judgement on fellow ministry families who have these types of problems.  My heart goes out to them.

This is very sad news. I will be sure to pray for them throughout the day. Your other comments are so appropriate.

• Members

Mother's Day, how selfish!  

Selfish?  Is that the worst thing can think of?  The young man must have been very troubled...I believe that many of us have "wished we were dead" at times, and maybe even contemplated suicide!  I have, but was too chicken-hearted to go through with it. 

The more I hear in the news, and in society in general, the more anxious I am for heaven; I am dying slowly, but I don't think I will mind when my day comes--been talking about, preaching about, and looking forward to seeing Jesus for so long, I really don't think death will bother me too much.  My family, of course, sees it differently.  Anyway, it may have been selfish of the man, but there was more to be concerned about than that.

• Members

Well, suicide is always selfish...but I think some people truly don't feel like anyone else cares, and that the world will be better off without them.  It's still a selfish thought, but sometimes the depression is so great, you don't feel like it's really selfish.

My husband always says that a low self esteem is often a form of pride and selfishness, because we are always worried about ourselves and what other people think of us, instead of what we can do for other people, and how other people feel.  It's true, but for those who struggle with it, it's difficult to see.

I feel really really sorry for this man, and for his family.  I looked up his FB page and it looks like he either has, or had, a wife and a couple kids.

• Members

Pride and selfishness are related to high self-esteem or more biblically correct, a lack of humility.  As Christians we don't want a high self-esteem.  Think about each of the words.  The opposite of high self-esteem is not low self-esteem, it's humility.

He might have been troubled but he failed to give his yoke to Christ and consider his loved ones.  A murderer has to be pretty well separated from the Lord to commit such a heinous act, maybe he never knew Christ, it happens often, but we'll never know.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Regarding the "Pirate" theme: Mr. Hamilton lost his eye to cancer. Kids who saw him wearing the patch over his eye gave him the name and association--Patch the Pirate. I have no affiliation with him or with BJU. I am a KJV only from my heart and very fundamental in my doctrine. I have many bones to pick with Christianity going left and "contemporary." Those things being said, I think that some of you are being just silly about the Pirate issue. Patch and the Lord took what looked like a terrible tragedy and turned it into a ministry that has brought countless children to faith in Jesus Christ. No wonder people pick at "Fundies." We are quite often "holier than thou" looking for anything to pick at... Also, times and music change. Patch's music is upbeat and fun. The lyrics are sound doctinally. Get a life, people. There is no hard syncopation or overriding drum beat. It is still primarily melodic rather than primarily beat. Now, regarding the death of his son. The family is grieving. According to the family, Jonathan had a bad reaction to accutane, while he was in college. Some people, like Jonathan, never recover and suffer mental anquish perpetually. Blaming his parents is not only heartless, but wrong! The guy couldn't take the anguish any longer. He was not selfish, and I am sure that he would never deliberately hurt his parents. I believe that he loved Jesus and is with him now. I think that we need to be extremely careful. My experience is that often, when we think that we and our loved ones are above certain things--like mental illness or suicide--the Lord lets us experience those things for ourselves, so that we might understand and have compassion.

• Moderators

Selfish?  Is that the worst thing can think of?  The young man must have been very troubled...I believe that many of us have "wished we were dead" at times, and maybe even contemplated suicide!  I have, but was too chicken-hearted to go through with it. 

The more I hear in the news, and in society in general, the more anxious I am for heaven; I am dying slowly, but I don't think I will mind when my day comes--been talking about, preaching about, and looking forward to seeing Jesus for so long, I really don't think death will bother me too much.  My family, of course, sees it differently.  Anyway, it may have been selfish of the man, but there was more to be concerned about than that.

A week before she got saved, my wife had her suicide planned and was in final preparations when presented with the gospel.

Her take on suicide? It's the height of self-centeredness! 

• Members

Regarding the "Pirate" theme: Mr. Hamilton lost his eye to cancer...

Welcome to Online Baptist Amestris!  Would you mind sharing your testimony with us and maybe a little about you?

• Members

Very few ministries actually remain faithful to their core foundational beliefs.  Most "veer left" through the course of time at some point - maybe even a minor point - or soften their stance on some issue or other. 

In my view, having a handful of "contemporary songs" in the latest Majesty Music does not necessarily mean that Majesty Music is now evil, contemporary, and compromising.  I would say they used poor judgment, and have opened a gate of separation that should have remained closed.  Now that this gate is opened, the ramifications remain to be seen as to how it affects the decision making process of others as to what songs to allow, etc.

On the flip side of this issue though is this thought: Are there songs in Rice's Soul Stirring Songs and Hymns that are not to our liking and taste?  I grew up using John Peterson's Great Hymns of the Faith (and our church here has used that hymnal now for over 10 years.  I attempt to introduce "new" hymns into our rotation throughout the year - hymns that are in our hymnals that we simply don't sing.  But as I peruse our hymnal, I find songs in there that I will NEVER sing, and have "banned" from our use because I do not agree with the lyrical content. 

So, if this is the case with OTHER hymnals, but we don't condemn those hymnals for being "contemporary" or "compromising" then it seems somewhat hypocritical of us to be so quick to denounce the Majesty Hymnal as being such.

Having said that, I do agree with some of the others here that they do seem to be sliding more and more that direction. 

• 8 months later...
  • Members

I think people are posting info that is assumed and not based on truth. Not everyone that takes their own life is doing so out of being self centered.  If you knew the story and the reasons you would understand. We should be praying for them not judging them.  He is our music minister and a blessing to us every day. His music is God honoring and God has used this pirate to bring many to Himself. It has never entered my mind to compare him to an actual pirate and we should not question what God has led another to do.  I know Ron seeks God's will in his life and it is evident every day and also in Shelly's

• Members

Not everyone that takes their own life is doing so out of being self centered.  

How's that?

Welcome to the forum by the way!  I was listening to Patch the Pirate on the car radio the other day and enjoyed the salvation message and skit with the kids. 

Archived