• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Patch The Pirate Goes Contemporary (With The Blessings Of Majesty Music)

brosmith

• Members

I cherish my Majesty Hymnal, it's the only one I own right now and the one we use the most in our local church.  Sometimes they break out John R. Rice's Soul Stirring Hymns.  The trouble with both is that the recent editions, last 30 years or so, have been edited to remove repentance from some songs compared to the earlier 1970s editions.  I believe it was wrong to do so.  They should have been left if Scripturally sound or replaced IMNSHO. 

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm new to IFB, and I need to ask:  Why would a Christian artist adopt the pirate theme?  It seems to me, from my little bit of research on Majesty, that maybe the creation of Patch the Pirate, and the acceptance of the whole pirate motif, was the beginning of what's becoming a larger problem.

Forgive me if I'm hijacking this thread, but I can't seem to find any other discussions where anyone is concerned about this.

A few years ago I discovered that the word of God exists in English, and this discovery has led me to leave the Pentecostal movement and seek fellowship with the IFB crowd.  So far, so good, and I believe that as long as the King James Bible is the final authority we can get past other issues.

One of the first major events for me at my new church was involving my seven-year-old son in a small presentation where the kids sang three songs on Sunday morning and evening.  Two of the songs were from IncrediWorld, and I downloaded those two so he could practice.  They were fine songs I thought, with the (seemingly minor) issue that "Days of Creation" claims that on day one God created the "heavens" (plural) and earth.  I told my son that God created only the third heaven (singular) at first, and the other two heavens were created after that.  This was pretty minor, but when I saw the whole pirate theme, I knew I wouldn't be leaving any IncrediWorld CDs lying around the house, and that I wouldn't be enrolling my son in any pirate club.

Pirates steal, kill, and destroy.  The word "pirate" isn't in the bible, but there is someone mentioned in the bible that does these things.  What is Majesty thinking?  Patch's ship is apparently even called the "Jolly Roger!"  This is a skull and crossbones, guys!  What are we all thinking?

In my old church I used to pray God's protection over myself and my family if the worship team started to play some questionable back beat, or if the message of the song was questionable.  Now I'm protecting my son from pirates.

I know that all churches are full of sinners, but I'm still taking the pulse of the IFB movement.  Thanks.

• Members

I'm new to IFB, and I need to ask:  Why would a Christian artist adopt the pirate theme?  It seems to me, from my little bit of research on Majesty, that maybe the creation of Patch the Pirate, and the acceptance of the whole pirate motif, was the beginning of what's becoming a larger problem.

Forgive me if I'm hijacking this thread, but I can't seem to find any other discussions where anyone is concerned about this.

Hopefully someone will answer this for you as I have wondered the same thing.  Last year I informed my son that his mohawk haircut was going to disappear because of some of the associations "mohawks" have but then the church has "patch the pirate".  And I was left thinking sarcasticly that "yes it is so much better to associate with the pirate theme over the mohawk indian theme!"  Duh!

• Members

Matt,

I've never liked the "pirate" thing myself. However, Brother Hamilton has a testimony that helped me to ease up some on that. The larger issue raised in this post would be publishing material with counterfeit scripture. I plan to look into that.

Similarly, every church I've been to has a significant percentage of the believers that put up Christmas trees, do the Easter egg thing, dress up for sinister holidays, watch abominable films, dress like the world, talk like the world, listen to the world's music etc. etc. I don't like any of it but I gave up those battles because their not mine.  I just have to make sure my home is clean.

I've known people that have taken their family out of church over these issues and now they do little for Christ because they're not involved in a fruit-bearing ministry. Years later their children haven't been under good preaching, don't know the Sunday school songs, have a critical spirit toward the church, etc.

The bottom line is that you're going to give account for you.

• Moderators

A few years ago I discovered that the word of God exists in English, and this discovery has led me to leave the Pentecostal movement and seek fellowship with the IFB crowd.  So far, so good, and I believe that as long as the King James Bible is the final authority we can get past other issues.

One of the first major events for me at my new church was involving my seven-year-old son in a small presentation where the kids sang three songs on Sunday morning and evening.  Two of the songs were from IncrediWorld, and I downloaded those two so he could practice.  They were fine songs I thought, with the (seemingly minor) issue that "Days of Creation" claims that on day one God created the "heavens" (plural) and earth.  I told my son that God created only the third heaven (singular) at first, and the other two heavens were created after that.  This was pretty minor, but when I saw the whole pirate theme, I knew I wouldn't be leaving any IncrediWorld CDs lying around the house, and that I wouldn't be enrolling my son in any pirate club.

Pirates steal, kill, and destroy.  The word "pirate" isn't in the bible, but there is someone mentioned in the bible that does these things.  What is Majesty thinking?  Patch's ship is apparently even called the "Jolly Roger!"  This is a skull and crossbones, guys!  What are we all thinking?

In my old church I used to pray God's protection over myself and my family if the worship team started to play some questionable back beat, or if the message of the song was questionable.  Now I'm protecting my son from pirates.

I know that all churches are full of sinners, but I'm still taking the pulse of the IFB movement.  Thanks.

From Ron's testimony: he was diagnosed with eye cancer, and lost his eye as a result. Thus, he wore a patch. At some point, a child asked him if he was a pirate, to which he quickly replied, "Yes, I'm Patch the Pirate.". From this was born the idea, and the character. Used to be very good stuff, even though yes, I agree that a pirate may not be the best idea, but hey, he had the patch and was able to use it in a children's ministry. Sadly the music has begun to slip for a while now, even Ron's stuff, as well as music from Majesty in general.

So, not saying right or wrong, it just worked out that way.

• Members

From Ron's testimony: he was diagnosed with eye cancer, and lost his eye as a result. Thus, he wore a patch. At some point, a child asked him if he was a pirate, to which he quickly replied, "Yes, I'm Patch the Pirate.". From this was born the idea, and the character. Used to be very good stuff, even though yes, I agree that a pirate may not be the best idea, but hey, he had the patch and was able to use it in a children's ministry. Sadly the music has begun to slip for a while now, even Ron's stuff, as well as music from Majesty in general.

So, not saying right or wrong, it just worked out that way.

I know you are not saying right or wrong and I am not going to put words in your mouth.  But an association is an association.  If we ignore the association and write it off as a "cute children's ministry", are we compromising?  Hypothetically: kid is in patch club at church and gets older and hears there is a very popular movie series out that is called "Pirates of the Caribbean".  Kid thinks to himself, "pirates aren't so bad, we have them in church"  Now are we compromising if we give the OK or are we being too "nit picky" if we question associating with pirates?  We get all judgmental about public schools "dumbing down our kids" do our churches get a pass for "numbing our kids " towards associations they can have? 

• Members

never liked the "pirate" thing myself ... The larger issue raised in this post would be publishing material with counterfeit scripture

Yes, definitely.

known people that have taken their family out of church over these issues

That would be a shame.

Thanks for your perspective.

• Members

Ron Hamilton (Patch the Pirate) brought the house down a few years ago at Pastors school with the song "Bow the Knee",  The place went wild and the Lord was glorified.  I don't know if he has changed, but I have 10 of his old "Patch the Pirate tapes (Cassettes) and my kids were nearly raised on his skits and songs.  They taught the kids character, which no other singers seem to be doing, and always uplifted the Lord in them.  I still listen to his cd that contains Bow the knee, and many other good songs. 

Whether he has changed or not, I do not know, haven't paid much attention lately.

• Members

Ron Hamilton (Patch the Pirate) brought the house down a few years ago at Pastors school with the song "Bow the Knee",  The place went wild and the Lord was glorified.  I don't know if he has changed, but I have 10 of his old "Patch the Pirate tapes (Cassettes) and my kids were nearly raised on his skits and songs.  They taught the kids character, which no other singers seem to be doing, and always uplifted the Lord in them.  I still listen to his cd that contains Bow the knee, and many other good songs. 

Whether he has changed or not, I do not know, haven't paid much attention lately.

To clarify: I'm not intimately familiar with their ministry, but I don’t think Brother Hamilton is "going contemporary." I think he’s produced good media for believers for a long time. I’m sure he’s caught much grief over the years about the pirate thing, and I don’t want to contribute more on that.

Again, I am going to look into it to see if they do indeed have fake bible quotations in their publication(s). I have supported this ministry by purchasing their products so I hope this is not accurate.

• Members

I don't know who Patch the Pirate is but when I read all the posts I agree that it isn't the most wholesome character qualities to mimic, whether is has a good message or not. I thought when I read the title it was already a contemporary Christian music character, (like Veggie Tales). Isn't that the whole contemporary music crowd, other versions of the Bible users and Evangelicals use-That it still teaches a good message no matter how it's delivered so it doesn't matter the format? :thumbdown:

Remember pirates forced their way onto other boats, killed them and stole their stuff? Were known for their language, drinking and lifestyle. :hijacked:( just the picture not the sign)

• Members

No ministry is perfect and my fellow fathers and I have detected scriptural errors here and there.  I doubt the kids would even take notice.  In our house we brought it to our children's attention and set it right.

That being said, Cloud has mentioned that Majesty Music's new hymn book shows their collapse of separation (my words) by yoking with the false teachers and infidels.

• Members

I don't know who Patch the Pirate is but when I read all the posts I agree that it isn't the most wholesome character qualities to mimic, whether is has a good message or not. I thought when I read the title it was already a contemporary Christian music character, (like Veggie Tales). Isn't that the whole contemporary music crowd, other versions of the Bible users and Evangelicals use-That it still teaches a good message no matter how it's delivered so it doesn't matter the format? :thumbdown:

Remember pirates forced their way onto other boats, killed them and stole their stuff? Were known for their language, drinking and lifestyle. :hijacked:( just the picture not the sign)

Yea, they also wore earrings and mostly had long hair too!

• Members

Never heard it before...looked it up on youtube.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHZcgK43Sr0

7800+ listens, 40 thumbs up and not one thumbs down, that is amazing.  I would think you would get one goof or so out of 7800 that would give a thumbs down.  I will have to check out his kids songs...a CD in the mini-van and the kids will never know there is a pirate lurking in the shadows :)

• Members

7800+ listens, 40 thumbs up and not one thumbs down, that is amazing.  I would think you would get one goof or so out of 7800 that would give a thumbs down.  I will have to check out his kids songs...a CD in the mini-van and the kids will never know there is a pirate lurking in the shadows :)

Our church recently sang this song as a choir special. I think it is a really good song.

• Moderators

I know you are not saying right or wrong and I am not going to put words in your mouth.  But an association is an association.  If we ignore the association and write it off as a "cute children's ministry", are we compromising?  Hypothetically: kid is in patch club at church and gets older and hears there is a very popular movie series out that is called "Pirates of the Caribbean".  Kid thinks to himself, "pirates aren't so bad, we have them in church"  Now are we compromising if we give the OK or are we being too "nit picky" if we question associating with pirates?  We get all judgmental about public schools "dumbing down our kids" do our churches get a pass for "numbing our kids " towards associations they can have? 

Associations are something to be concerned about, yes. However, I think we can take this too far. There are TV shows and movies about everything under the sun - treasure hunts, mountain climbing, exploring, animals, etc., and I've seen VBS programs for just about as many things too. We could just as easily say that a child will watch Indiana Jones because he had an adventure-themed VBS.  I'm not sure whether pirates are the best connotation to have or not, but if they aren't I don't think it would be on account of associations, but inherent negative characteristics.

BlessedSongs, the Hamiltons are indeed going contemporary. :( They have produced excellent music for a long time, and an excellent presentation on the danger of rock music, but the later Patch albums I have heard have definite contemporary characteristics.  Sad...

Archived