• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Patch The Pirate Goes Contemporary (With The Blessings Of Majesty Music)

brosmith

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

No you misunderstood. Please do not post false information. The page says that the kit, provided by Answers in Genesis, is ALSO available with conservative Patch the Pirate music INSTEAD of the rock music currently offered.

The Answers in Genesis people put together the VBS stuff, and then obviously provide a choice of outside music...either contemporary, OR Patch the Pirate for conservatives.

• Members
No you misunderstood. Please do not post false information. The page says that the kit, provided by Answers in Genesis, is ALSO available with conservative Patch the Pirate music INSTEAD of the rock music currently offered.

The Answers in Genesis people put together the VBS stuff, and then obviously provide a choice of outside music...either contemporary, OR Patch the Pirate for conservatives.

Let's examine the facts:

#1 - Answers in Genesis states publicly that they have partnered with Majesty Music.

proof - http://answersvbs.com/2012/about/music/

#2 - The VBS theme "IncrediWorld" is the title of Patch the Pirate's latest adventure CD.

proof - http://www.majestytunes.com/p-119-incrediworld.aspx

#3 - Both Majesty Music and Patch the Pirate are under copyright protection (and nothing like this could be produced or published without their permission - for a price, that is).

#4 - Majesty Music is supplying the "traditional" music for the "IncrediWorld" VBS program while allowing Answers in Genesis to produce a contemporary version of the Patch the Pirate songs. (and I am sure that Majesty Music will be collecting a royalty fee for every kit that is sold - both contemporary and traditional).

Thus I stand by what I said: Patch the Pirate is going contemporary with the blessings of Majesty Music.

• Members

You should probably contact Majesty Music and ask. I notice on the site http://answersvbs.com/2012/about/music/ Majesty Music is not taking ANY credit WHATSOEVER for the contemporary music.

It is possible they were paid to write and sell songs to the VBS people for their own use...in which case, the VBS people own the rights to the specific songs and were able to make a second version of them.

It would be good if you called them and got their side of the story before posting things like this about them publicly. I'm not a huge follower of them, but on the other hand, there's no reason to post negative things without knowing the whole story.

• Members
It is possible they were paid to write and sell songs to the VBS people for their own use...in which case, the VBS people own the rights to the specific songs and were able to make a second version of them.

As stated above, IncrediWorld is the latest Patch the Pirate adventure published by Majesty Music.

It would be good if you called them and got their side of the story before posting things like this about them publicly. I'm not a huge follower of them, but on the other hand, there's no reason to post negative things without knowing the whole story.

I sent Majesty Music an email and I will post their response when I receive it. I asked them about the relationship between the Patch the Pirate adventure and the VBS program by Answers in Genesis. It will be interesting to see how they respond.

• Members

Here is the response that I received from Majesty Music:

Thank you for contacting Majesty Music in regards to IncrediWorld. Answers in Genesis approached Majesty Music with the opportunity to provide music for their traditional track VBS program. After much prayer and counsel, we agreed to produce the traditional songs version. Some of the songs needed very little work and could be used with just a few changes. Other songs could not be used and new songs needed to be written. Answers in Genesis gave us complete liberty to use or not use whatever we chose. Majesty Music has recently offered a new Patch the Pirate Adventure called IncrediWorld which centers on a theme of “Creation” and includes some of the new songs also used in the VBS track. Please let me know if I may be of any further assistance.

Sincerely,
Lanette
Customer Service

You can derive your own conclusions from this but I still stand by my original statements.

• Members

They aren't claiming anything to do with the contemporary songs. Who they sold music to is between them and God. But they didn't produce any contemporary music. When they do, let me know.

• Moderators

I rather like that AiG thought to give people the option between traditional/contemporary music - especially as they don't seem to have a problem with contemporary music themselves. And someone needs to write said traditional music, I suppose.

That being said, I do feel Majesty is moving in a contemporary direction. :bawling: Some of the more recent Patch the Pirate's and their latest CDs are rather questionable, and their latest hymnal does include some songs that I've always associated with my Pentecostal/New Evangelical days...

• Members

I rather like that AiG thought to give people the option between traditional/contemporary music - especially as they don't seem to have a problem with contemporary music themselves. And someone needs to write said traditional music, I suppose.

That being said, I do feel Majesty is moving in a contemporary direction. :bawling: Some of the more recent Patch the Pirate's and their latest CDs are rather questionable, and their latest hymnal does include some songs that I've always associated with my Pentecostal/New Evangelical days...

I actually do not know of many, if any, groups that are NOT moving in a "contemporary" direction, for that matter...which is why I don't see the need to pick out Majesty Music. Most IFBs now listen to music that would be considered "contemporary". I don't for the most part because I don't prefer it....I like a little more southern flavor to my music....but I don't know of any groups that are actually staying "old fashioned" while still maintaining a good sound quality.

• 7 months later...
  • Members

Just to add fuel to the fire......My children were finishing up their patch books for the week and my daughter stopped and yelled......"Hey dad!!  "This verse doesn't match!" Sure enough, there were at least 2 days this past week in their devotions that the verses in the book were from the ESV. She also told me that occassionally she'll find a mispelled word or something really minor. I explained to her that that is how the tares get slipped into the wheat.....so to speak.....a little at a time. I showed the book to our pastor last night who just about threw a fit because it was in there. I plainly gave the warning at the begining of patch club in September that the "Incediworld" series is flawed, and they had considered dropping patch at church but decided to go ahead and see what develops from it.

It all boils down to this.......We as IFB people had better get our head out of the clouds and quit living in our "Beaver Cleaver" imaginary world by thinking that just because they are saved and live a "Christian" life that they are exempt from the contemporary movement moving in. It's happening all over our churches in one form or another.Quit worrying about beng "clean and wholesome" and how great you appear in your self righteousness and get into the the trenches and get dirty fighting off this contemporaty movement with the true word of God!

• Members

Just to add fuel to the fire......My children were finishing up their patch books for the week and my daughter stopped and yelled......"Hey dad!!  "This verse doesn't match!" Sure enough, there were at least 2 days this past week in their devotions that the verses in the book were from the ESV. She also told me that occassionally she'll find a mispelled word or something really minor. I explained to her that that is how the tares get slipped into the wheat.....so to speak.....a little at a time. I showed the book to our pastor last night who just about threw a fit because it was in there. I plainly gave the warning at the begining of patch club in September that the "Incediworld" series is flawed, and they had considered dropping patch at church but decided to go ahead and see what develops from it.
It all boils down to this.......We as IFB people had better get our head out of the clouds and quit living in our "Beaver Cleaver" imaginary world by thinking that just because they are saved and live a "Christian" life that they are exempt from the contemporary movement moving in. It's happening all over our churches in one form or another.Quit worrying about beng "clean and wholesome" and how great you appear in your self righteousness and get into the the trenches and get dirty fighting off this contemporaty movement with the true word of God!

This goes along with what seems to be a growing trend. While most books and articles have typically said what Bible they quote from (or in some cases, multiple versions), I'm noticing more often now that some are not making any mention at all of what version (or versions) they are using.

• Members

Can I say that I think with the information posted here, the title appears somewhat misleading, in that it appears to overstate the situation.

Note that we have a single copy of an old Majesty Hymnal, and about five or six of the early Patch CD's - I am not defending them, but I don't think it helps anyone to overstate or exaggerate a situation.
I also do not think it was intentional in this case.
Just a suggestion that maybe the title should be changed a little - but not the conversation within - the development of the conversation has been helpful.

Archived