• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

pilgrimspen

Which Bible Version Can You Recommend?

Hi to all! I have a King James Bible (I find it hard to understand most of the time - Old English). And I also have an ESV Study Bible by Crossway. The latest version. I also have a KJV bible dictionary. I also have a bible in my own language (Filipino). I like the ESV best. Any more good bibles you can recommend?
(Oh also, before I didn't want to buy any bible because I heard that the KJV is the most reliable bible and the other bibles are not reliable and their contents has been changed.) :smug:

The modern versions might be easier to understand, yet, in understanding them they may lead you to believe something that is wrong. It would be better not to understand something, than to learn something that's wrong.

Bro. Matt, the foundered of this forum has this rule, only verses from the King James Bible shall be posted on this forum.

At our church I suggest that everyone use the same Bible that I use. For if they do not, when I'm reading from my KJ Bible, & they're following me in their modern version that reads different than mine, it could be confusing to you, & we know who confusion comes from, & its not from God.

1Co 14:33 For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.

The official opinion of the owner of this board is that the KJV is the only reliable version in English. I disagree for a variety of reasons that I won't go into now. I believe that the ESV is also a reliable version of Scripture, and would recommend that you stick with that if it is the easiest for you to understand. I also like the New King James Version and the New American Standard Bible. But the NASB is not as readable, in my opinion.
My husband has traveled to the Philippines a number of times. He loves it there. I will try to remember to ask him if he has any opinions about which Filipino Bible(s) are reliable.

I started with the NASB many years ago, moved to the NIV and finally came to my senses and have been with the KJV for 12 years now. Since that time I have studied the origins of the various versions and do believe that the KJV is the inspired word of God in the English language.

What you will find in the lineage of the modern translations, starting with the RSV and continuing through the ASV, NASV, ESV, NIV, NKJV, etc. is that the manuscripts used in their creation passed through the hands of gnostics, spiritists, and many that did not even believe in the deity of Christ. As a result many verses were corrupted to fit their point of view, and many more were omitted.

Initially the KJV may be more difficult to read, but with a little time and effort you will find that it is actually a more accurate read. Plural or singular pronouns, perpetual present tense, etc. are just some of the examples that make the KJV more accurate. One must realize that the common usage of the English language has declined over the years, not improved, and this is reflected in the newer versions as well. I have a seven year-old son who reads nothing but the KJV, and though he struggles at a few passages, the majority he understands just fine.

Many today will own several different versions and use a passage from the version that best fits their position. I have had sincere Christians tell me the Holy Spirit led them to that version and/or verse, yet I believe the Holy Spirit has led me to the KJV for all verses. Since the Holy Spirit is not the author of confusion (1 Corinthians 14:33) one of us must be deceived.

Also, we are to judge things by the fruit they bear. All the great revivals came through the KJV. These revivals began to dry up as soon as the newer versions began hitting the streets (late 1800s).

As for the NWT mentioned in a previous post that was developed by the JWs specifically for the JWs and was translated by a group of people that had no complete formal training in Hebrew or Greek. Using that for a Bible is like using the Sinaiticus (which was found in a monasteries burn pile) as an underpinning for your translation. (all the modern translations do that by the way). Interestingly enough they also use the Vaticanus which disagrees with the Sinaiticus in over 5000 places.

Edited by 282Mikado

Things that are different, are not the same. It does make a difference.

The modern versions does help those that teach works based salvation make a case for their false doctrine that has not & will not ever save a single soul.

For a deep, close, sure walk with the Lord, go with the King James Bible. The extra effort to understand the KJB and get used to it is well worth it and a learning experience that also helps one draw closer to the Lord.

The Lord led me to the King James Bible over 20 years ago and that has been the biggest spiritual blessing in my life since I was born again.

The problem is not so much with the versions, but the text from which the versions came. The KJV came from a text we call the TR, which has been available to the church for ages. The NIV and all almost all other modern versions came from the Critical text. The manuscripts to the CT were found in a monastery and the Vatican after being lost for many years. The reason people believe that the CT is more reliable is because they are older. Yes, they are older. Why? Because the church didn't think them trustworthy so they haven't been used! The old old manuscripts of the TR are lost yes, because when paper gets used, it deteriorates. Not only that, but as the copies were being made, the old ones were burned, which is why we don't have any really old TR manuscripts. I am saying all of this to say that the early church used the TR (where the KJV came from) and copied it for centuries, while they didn't trust the CT (where the NIV etc comes from). I trust the KJV because I know it doesn't have some denominational agenda and because the Lord promised His word would be available to ALL generations. How can it be available if we just found it in a monastery?

Please excuse my wordiness. I get defensive about my Bible ;)

Edited by Melodys

I apologize for the length of this post but JohnOneOne has introduced heresy that must be addressed. Beware of anything JohnOneOne has to post. He is an obvious Jehovah’s Witness and they do nothing but preach another Jesus and another gospel (2 Corinthians 11:3-4). Note: Since I initially posted this our admin has removed JohnOneOne's post.

Something to know about the JWs NWT. In the 1940s the Watch Tower Society (WTS) put together a translation committee of six JWs who created their own translation of the Bible. While the WTS is very secretive about the identities of these translators, Raymond Franz (ex-member of the JW Governing Body and nephew of Fredrick Franz), identified them as Nathan H. Knorr (President of the organization), Frederick W. Franz (Vice-President), George D. Gangas, Albert D. Schroeder, Milton G. Henschel, and Karl Klein. Of these six translators only one, Frederick W. Franz had training in any of the biblical languages (21 semester hours in classical Greek, self-taught in biblical Hebrew and Aramaic). Released in 1950, the JWs were told that the New World Translation (NWT) was the most accurate unbiased translation available, yet to this day they are told that they cannot properly interpret or understand that Bible without guidance from the WTS (using publications such as: Reasoning From the Scriptures, You Can Live Forever in Paradise on earth, Watchtower and Awake! Magazines).

The WTS maintains that it is not possible to understand the Bible apart from their guidance and literature. If you need proof of this look up the following articles from their magazine The Watchtower:

9/15/1910; pp. 298
10/1/1967; pp. 587
12/1/1981; pp. 27
6/15/1951; pp. 375
7/1/1973; pp. 402
12/1/1990; pp. 19
5/1/1957; pp. 274
8/15/1981; pp. 29
10/1/1994; pp. 8

The Bible says even a child can understand the scriptures (without any assistance from the JWs):

2 Timothy 3:15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

Another thing to note is that the Website JohnOneOne pointed to points only to the use of the “Coptic” scriptures. The Coptic scriptures are those that come out of Egypt and are to be avoided. Origen (of Alexandria, Egypt) was one of the original corrupters of the Biblical texts having made 30,000 plus changes to the scriptures. Origin did not believe in the deity of Christ.

Note that Christians were first called Christians in Antioch, Syria (Acts 11:26). It is the Syrian texts from which the KJV is written. An interesting Bible study is comparing Antioch versus Egypt. It is essentially a study of good versus evil.

The Watch Tower Society denies that there is any biblical basis for belief in the Trinity. They state:

• “Moses reminded the Israelites that Jehovah our God is one Jehovah. (Deuteronomy 6:4) Jesus Christ repeated those words. (Mark 12:28-29) Therefore, those who accept the Bible as God’s Word do not worship a Trinity consisting of three persons or gods in one. In fact, the word ‘Trinity’ does not even appear in the Bible.

They misstate the Trinity Doctrine as the belief of “three…gods in one” thus showing their ignorance of the true concept of the Godhead: one God manifested in three persons; equal yet separate. Just as man, who is made in God’s image, is made up of three parts: body, soul and spirit, yet we are one being. Each of us is a trinity revealed in three forms: body – pictures the Son, soul – pictures the Father, and spirit – pictures the Holy Spirit. Matthew 10:28; Colossians 2:5; Hebrews 4:12-13.

While it is true that the word “Trinity” does not appear in the bible, there are other words that are not found in the Bible, but their concepts are no less true:

Atheism: The teaching that there is no God. The fool has said in his heart, 'There is no GodPsalm 14:1
Divinity: Divine quality or godlike character. Psalm 139
Incarnation: The word (God) who became flesh. John 1:1,14
Monotheism: The teaching that there is only one God. Isaiah 43:10; 44:8
Rapture: The teaching that the Christians who are alive when Jesus returns will be caught up to meet Him in the air. 1 Thess. 4:16-18

The concept of the Trinity can be found throughout the Old and New Testaments. In the Scriptures, we read that there is only one God (Isaiah 43:10-11; 44:6,8; 45:21-23; 46:9), and yet the Father is called “God” at 1 Peter 1:2, the Son is called “God” at John 20:28, and the Holy Spirit is called “God” at Acts 5:3-4.

The following shows where the Scriptures reveal that each member of the Trinity has the attributes of Deity:

DIVINE QUALITY

OMNIPRESENCE

FATHER Jeremiah 23:24; 1 Kings 8:27
SON Matthew 28:20; 18:20; John 1:48
HOLY SPIRIT Psalm 139:7

OMNISCIENCE

FATHER Psalm 147:5; 1 John 3:20; 1 Kings 8:39
SON John 16:30; 2:24-25
HOLY SPIRIT 1 Corinthians 2:10-11

OMNIPOTENCE

FATHER Jeremiah 32:17,27; Matthew 19:26; Luke 1:37; Psalm 135:6
SON Matthew 28:18; John 16:15; Hebrews 1:3
HOLY SPIRIT Romans 15:19

HOLINESS

FATHER Revelation 15:4
SON Acts 3:14
HOLY SPIRIT Romans 1:4

ETERNITY

FATHER Psalm 90:2; Romans 16:26
SON Hebrews 7:3; Isaiah 9:6; John 8:58
HOLY SPIRIT Hebrews 9:14

THE TRUTH

FATHER John 7:28
SON John 8:32,36; 14:6; Revelation 3:7
HOLY SPIRIT John 16:13; 1 John 5:6-7

LORD

FATHER Luke 1:32; 10:21
SON Romans 10:9; Philippians 2:11
HOLY SPIRIT 2 Corinthians 3:17

GOD

FATHER 1 Peter 1:2; Philippians 2:11
SON 2 Peter 1:1; Titus 2:13; John 1:1; 20:28; Hebrews 1:8
HOLY SPIRIT Acts 5:3-4; 1 Corinthians 3:16-17

ALMIGHTY

FATHER Genesis 17:1
SON Revelation 1:8; 22:12-13, 20
HOLY SPIRIT Zechariah 4:6

I hope this helps. If you have further questions I will help as I can.

Edited by 282Mikado

I was fortunate, back in the early 80's my pastor taught me a class one night per week for something like two years separate from church services, entitled, "Journey Into Discipleship."

Within that study I learned much about God, God the Father, God the Son, God the Holy Spirit, are all one, but yet manifested their self in theses three forms. Plus all the attributes of God.

Most church goers would learn about this if only they would stay in church, attend regularly,not only preaching services, but Bible study classed too.

One church that I was a member of, many of the Sunday school teachers missed Sunday night & Wednesday night services. There were several that cam to Sunday school, that left after Sunday school. A few of the deacons missed may Sunday evening, & Wednesday evening services. I will add, it was by choice, they had other things more important, mowing yard, & stuff like that. One of the deacons lives between me & church, many times I passed his house on Sunday evening, Wednesday evening, seeing him out in his yard doing yard work, or other things. he had two young daughters, I suspect after they left home, they probably, if they attend church, do so as thier deacon father taught them by example.

Several times on Wednesday evening when leaving services, if they had a deacons meeting following services, as we were leaving commonly 1 to 4 deacons would be entering the church building for the deacons meeting.

The Sunday school superintendents would make an announcement after Sunday school, before preaching service, announcing attendance while making some shot comments, 3 to maybe 8 minutes. One of these Sunday school superintendents during my time was hardly ever at church services except for Sunday monring.

So its no wonder that many of our brother's & sisters knows so little about God, & His attributes, & other Bible doctrine. I suspect the majority of those I have refereed to above hardly ever, if ever, open their Bibles except for when they're in church services. And even in church services they may only open their Sunday school book.

I don't have the answer for getting all of our brothers 7 sister so interested in church services that they will attend very regularly wanting to get to know their Father much better. This group of people seem very hard to reach, I feel that some of them feel by attending Sunday morning Sunday school & or preaching services, they have fulfilled their obligation to God.

I do know one thing, the Sunday school teachers, Sunday school superintendents, & deacons, that does as described above, would not have a position in a church that I'm their pastor. these people, of all Christians, ought to be as the pastor, & set the proper example for others, especially for the weak brothers & sisters.

Saying this I am not bagging on self, yet I was one that was either in church every time the doors opened, if at all possible, or I was not in church at all. That was the way my mother & grandmother raised & taught me. I have a feeling many of these were not raised & taught as I was.

Re 3:16 So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.

PS. I know there's legitimate excuses for missing church services, at times. And I feel sure if I being pastor attended services as some do, I would soon no longer be their pastor.

Jerry:

Church members holing offices that you mentioned would be expected to attend all services in our church and mostly, they do. The exceptions are when a husband and wife attend alternate evening serices when one has to stay at home to look after children, as one couple who have a downs syndrom child.

Jerry:

Church members holing offices that you mentioned would be expected to attend all services in our church and mostly, they do. The exceptions are when a husband and wife attend alternate evening serices when one has to stay at home to look after children, as one couple who have a downs syndrom child.

But its not that way in all churches. We might just be surprised how many are like that.

PS. I know there's legitimate excuses for missing church services, at times. And I feel sure if I being pastor attended services as some do, I would soon no longer be their pastor.

People expect the pastor to be there all the time, especially when they themselves decide to attend services, but they see no problem with missing services when they feel like it.

There are legitimate reasons for missing church, an illness, caring for a loved one; but for too many people today they consider vacation, a ballgame, a family cookout and many other non-emergency situations to be good excuses for missing church.

People expect the pastor to be there all the time, especially when they themselves decide to attend services, but they see no problem with missing services when they feel like it.

There are legitimate reasons for missing church, an illness, caring for a loved one; but for too many people today they consider vacation, a ballgame, a family cookout and many other non-emergency situations to be good excuses for missing church.

And of course, the majority, when they miss, they do not support their churches missions expenses, so in effect, they do not support Jesus. I suppose they think when they miss, & or go on vacation, the expenses stops.

In the past I have been guilty of that, realized I was wrong.

Thanks so much for all your reply really do appreciate it!

Sister,
What part of the P.I. are you from, and are you still living there, i have missionary friends in the. P.I. that may be able to get you some study materials... free of charge

Hi brother matt,

Yup, I'm here in Metro Manila - living in a city near it Quezon City. Really? Thank you for your concern. Actually, my pastor is from the US of A and his american. Ptr. Nathan Hutchison he and his wife graduated from Moody Bible Institute. I learned a lot from them. They told me us about the works of John Piper, John Macarthur, Charles Spurgeon etc.

Hi Pilgrimspen, we supoort a preacher in Quezon City - his name is Noel Mananquil and the church is Lighhouse Baptist Church. I believe it is on Tarlac St. Are you familiar with it or him? He is a wonderful preacher.

Tarlac is far from my place I live in the city. While Tarlac is sort of a province in my country. Capas, Tarlac is very far from where I am. Is he the pastor on the link below I just googled. :)) and this is the link about my pastor. My church's name is Cornerstone Christian Community Baptist Church

http://www.gbc-sd.org/missionaries

http://www.lbcphilippines.org/pastor-noel-mananquil.html

I have a copy of the 1611 KJV does anyone know that it has

73 books and not 66
A calendar of saint holidays
The apostles creed on the opening page

You can find a authentic copy online for less than 50$