• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

No Nicolaitans

Easy As A-B-C?

Guest Joshua Berndt

Your point regarding hell is absolutely incorrect. I've encountered many who have no fear of hell, who think hell will be a place to hang out for eternity with their friends drinking beer and sinning all they want. Before I was saved, and I learned the truth of hell before I was saved, I thought similar of hell and was purposefully wanting to go there with the false idea in my head that my friends would need me to be with them to help protect them from some of the really bad people in hell (what foolish, totally unbiblical and misleading things the lost...and even some Christians...believe!).

For many, it's very important to know the reality of hell before they will be open to the Gospel.

So, in effect, what you are saying is that their ideas of Hell are more powerful than the conviction of Scripture? I couldn't care less whether they want to go there or not. Scripture can convict. Baptists and "Baptists" have gotten to the point where they no longer trust in Scripture as they once did. "Oh sure, Scripture works, but...you know...ya' gotta explain it!" Bleccccchhh!

So, in effect, what you are saying is that their ideas of Hell are more powerful than the conviction of Scripture? I couldn't care less whether they want to go there or not. Scripture can convict. Baptists and "Baptists" have gotten to the point where they no longer trust in Scripture as they once did. "Oh sure, Scripture works, but...you know...ya' gotta explain it!" Bleccccchhh!

Seems your at odds with the Holy Scriptures.

Ac 8:31 And he said, How can I, except some man should guide me? And he desired Philip that he would come up and sit with him.

That Bleccccchhh!, sure was a very impolite thing to add to your post.

Guest Joshua Berndt

To NoNicolotains: I am sorry. I never meant to sound as if I were debating you. I was not mocking you. I was speaking of others adding their blah blah blah's, etc. I left my words on this below, so you could see that I was speaking in the plural, actually including myself as well. I would add my words to your last post in red, but I know that colored fonts are verboten, and even though I disagree with that, it is not my website, so I will try to address your statements here.

I didn't say that I see no need to bring up Hell. I am just saying that it is not necessary. I mean, it certainly doesn't hurt, but it is not necessary. Scripture can convict regardless of a good knowledge of Hell. I do not normally speak of Hell, because those I speak with already know of Hell. They think it is bad and they are "good so they aren't going."

These were my words, when I was speaking of others' pontificating and going on and on. I was speaking in the plural and including myself. I was not referring to you.

The Roman's Road and Ephesians 2:8-9, for instance, answer these questions. I am not saying that a person must use only those verses or some such. I am just saying that we should use scripture, and not pontificate with our own words or blah blah blah on and on, thinking that we will convert them. Let scripture work

I apologize for the misunderstanding. I am very careful to try to be understood. Trust me, if I was mad at you or bawling you out, you would know it. That is the sad fact of internet communication. One can read and think that there is an emotion being displayed that the reader never meant.

I am not at all saying that I never expound. When I do, I try to use Scripture or partial Scripture. That is, if I can't remember a verse word-for-word, then I will say, "The Bible says something like, "...such and such..." Most people don't ask me questions, really. They mostly make un-Biblical statements; that is, they say what they believe and then I counter with more Scripture to tear away at their beliefs, to leave them with nothing, whereby they think they will go to Heaven. Usually this is in the form of them thinking that they are good. So then I will give them verses like Ephesians 2:8-9 and part of Romans 3:10, etc. I don't usually if ever get challenged on anything else, really.

Understand this, I am NOT saying that God cannot or will not use our words, but I am saying that they pale in comparison with Scripture and I know of those(I am not saying you. :th_popout: Hee!) who seem to think that their words are almost better, 'cause they're more easily understood---THEY THINK!

To me, John 3:16, saying, "believeth in him," is believing, for one, that he is the Son of God. The muslims say they believe in Jesus, but the Jesus of their rag is a prophet only. Once, in Chicago, my Brother's family and I took a taxi. This dude was all got up in the clothing of a muslim. Beard, everything. He starts "witnessing" to me. I suppose to him all Christians are Roman Catlickers 'cause he starts in with, "We have the same religion! You believe in Moses. WE believe in Moses! You believe in Mary. WE believe in Mary! You believe in Jesus. WE believe in Jesus!" I said something like, "You believe that he was a prophet?" He says, "Yes." I replied, "O.K. Well we believe he is the Son of God!" ( :amen: ) <cricket---cricket> That dude was SILENT!

I did not admit that I explain some. I might use my own words for other things that explanation. Scripture will do that for me. Philips words may have been Scripture. We just don't know.

Why do Pastors preach salvation messages? For two reasons: Number one(I believe) is because their sheep don't! That is, a Pastor is to be a shepherd over the sheep. So who's job is it to produce more sheep? The sheep, primarily. But they don't, so he does. Number two, is because someone may be a visitor or maybe a relative who's been finally dragged there :Bolt:needs to hear the gospel message.

I didn't miss the point. Their words were Scripture. All scripture [is] given by inspiration of God, and [is] profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works. - 2 Timothy 3:16-17 KJV

Romans 10:9-10, one of my Mom's favorite verses, does not say that we must confess him as Lord, but it is stating as a matter of fact that he is Lord. Paul is calling him the Lord Jesus. When I was saved, what did I know of him being my Lord? I didn't. I knew him as my Saviour. Later, I knew that he was my Lord.

Thank you for the good day wish. :clapping: If you feel like commenting, feel free private message me so you don't go back on your word about not posting. I am not teasing. A man's word is very important. :godisgood:

Guest Joshua Berndt

Seems your at odds with the Holy Scriptures.

Ac 8:31 And he said, How can I, except some man should guide me? And he desired Philip that he would come up and sit with him.

That Bleccccchhh!, sure was a very impolite thing to add to your post.

I do not know what you are talking about, about my word of disgust that I posted. Why is that impolite? I was referring to none of you. I will clearly call out another if I mean to, but in that, I would do that privately, not publicly.

Guest Joshua Berndt

"Bleccchhhhh!" is a sound used by Charles Schultz in his Peanuts comics. It is a sound of disgust. Much like, "Yuck!"

You are mocking the Word of God, not me. It's Scripture that tells us of the reality of hell and the only means of avoiding hell, which all are condemned to unless they are born again in Christ.

Passages on hell often lead to conviction. It's not only a few verses of Scripture along the "Roman's road" that can convict lost sinners. Some people need to hear the truth about hell before the scales fall from their eyes and they are open to the conviction of the Holy Ghost.

I do not know what you are talking about, about my word of disgust that I posted. Why is that impolite? I was referring to none of you. I will clearly call out another if I mean to, but in that, I would do that privately, not publicly.

Yes, that was in-polite. You seemed to point that " Bleccccchhh" towards John whose post you were replying to.

And yes, you disagree with an example given in the Bible. the example of Philip expounding on the Holy Scriptures to this eunuch, just as any good pastor will do in this day & time. You seem to say, just show them the Holy Scriptures, & leave it at that. That is dangerous when a person is lost, for the lost person does not have the ability to fully understand the Holy Scriptures 1Co 2:14.

1Co 2:14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

Guest Joshua Berndt

Mine(Joshua) in bold italicized Comic Sans MS 14.

You are mocking the Word of God, not me. I am mocking neither. If you go back and read it, you might see that I am mocking those who make that sort of statement I had in quotation. As I clearly posted earlier, if I am mocking or being openly angry with someone, they will KNOW it. I would probably call them by name. It's Scripture that tells us of the reality of hell and the only means of avoiding hell, which all are condemned to unless they are born again in Christ. Yes. I never argued against that.

Passages on hell often lead to conviction. It's not only a few verses of Scripture along the "Roman's road" that can convict lost sinners. You are again speaking as if I was making that point, when I was not. I clearly talked about all this with NoNicolotains. I am not using the Roman's Road to the exclusion of other verses; just don't tell me that I HAVE to speak on Hell. Some people need to hear the truth about hell before the scales fall from their eyes and they are open to the conviction of the Holy Ghost.

Guest Joshua Berndt

Mine(Joshua) in Comic Sans 14 bold and italicized.

Yes, that was in-polite. You seemed to point that " Bleccccchhh" towards John whose post you were replying to. Well I specifically said that I was not referring to any of you. I said, as you yourself reposted, "I do not know what you are talking about, about my word of disgust that I posted. Why is that impolite? I was referring to none of you. I will clearly call out another if I mean to, but in that, I would do that privately, not publicly." Once I tell you that I was not referring to any of you and you still feel insulted or upset... I don't know what else I can say.

And yes, you disagree with an example given in the Bible. the example of Philip expounding on the Holy Scriptures to this eunuch, just as any good pastor will do in this day & time. No I do not. I clearly explained that earlier. You seem to say, just show them the Holy Scriptures, & leave it at that. No I don't. I have at least once, if not more than once said the contrary. Please go back and read them. I clearly stated that it is o.k., however, unnecessary to use your own dialogue. That is dangerous when a person is lost, for the lost person does not have the ability to fully understand the Holy Scriptures 1Co 2:14. If scripture can't work with them, what power could you expect your words to have? All scripture [is] given by inspiration of God, and [is] profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works. - 2 Timothy 3:16-17 KJV Now, I am SPECIFICALLY saying that scripture is THE ONLY THING NECESSARY(in the area of spoken word or reading), to save a soul. If God is working on someone, He will open their eyes. Scripture is sufficient.

1Co 2:14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

Guest Joshua Berndt

Oh and this is what I use when I give out the gospel in paper form and such:

"For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;" Romans 3:23

"For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord." Romans 6:23

"For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast." Ephesians 2:8-9

"But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us." Romans 5:8

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." John 3:16

"That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation." Romans 10:9-10

Someone that has not had no Bible teachings would probably not get the meaning of much of this. When they read this, 'For the wages of sin is death,' they may think, so what, everybody dies.

And even in America there's many people that has had not Bible teachings. Even many people that's never been to church nor picked up a Bible & opened it up.

For someone that has some understanding of the Bible, it might be of help.

Guest Joshua Berndt

"For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;" Romans 3:23

"For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord." Romans 6:23

"For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast." Ephesians 2:8-9

"But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us." Romans 5:8

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." John 3:16

"That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation." Romans 10:9-10

Someone that has not had no Bible teachings would probably not get the meaning of much of this. When they read this, 'For the wages of sin is death,' they may think, so what, everybody dies.

And even in America there's many people that has had not Bible teachings. Even many people that's never been to church nor picked up a Bible & opened it up.

For someone that has some understanding of the Bible, it might be of help.

That's exactly what I've encountered many times. Many simply have no clue what the Bible actually says and many more who think they know something about what the Bible says are very wrong.

Many today don't even understand the concept of "Lord" and view that as being no more than part of Jesus' name just as they do "Christ".

Sadly, there are many who "confess Jesus with their mouth" but they have no real understanding of what it means to "believe in their heart". Many of these will be among those who say to Jesus they called Him "Lord, Lord" and did this and that in His name but Jesus will tell them He never knew them before He casts them into hell.

That's exactly what I've encountered many times. Many simply have no clue what the Bible actually says and many more who think they know something about what the Bible says are very wrong.

Many today don't even understand the concept of "Lord" and view that as being no more than part of Jesus' name just as they do "Christ".

Sadly, there are many who "confess Jesus with their mouth" but they have no real understanding of what it means to "believe in their heart". Many of these will be among those who say to Jesus they called Him "Lord, Lord" and did this and that in His name but Jesus will tell them He never knew them before He casts them into hell.

True, & plus many have been in false teaching churches, & so they have no true Bible knowledge.

We are in the age that everyone want's a short cut, they feel they do not have time to hear enough to actually be informed, & many are catering to them.

Yes, i agree with Jerry and John81. I find in my personal witnessing that most people don't even TRULY understand what sin really is. Sure, they will readily admit they are a "sinner" and they have done "bad things" but they really don't understand that their sin is a crime against God. They don't know the depths of their own depravity, nor do they understand that even their smallest sin is an afront to a Holy God.
Further they don't understand that the result of even their smallest sins invokes the wrath of God against themselves, and will land them in a lake of fire.

I find that if I take the time to show them the Scriptures that not only declare to be a sinner, but then show them how the Bible defines sin (I John 3:4 is a good one!), their eyes begin to open.
Then the wheels in their minds begin to work....and the Scripture begins to do the work!

But, it takes time and patience....

Yes, i agree with Jerry and John81. I find in my personal witnessing that most people don't even TRULY understand what sin really is. Sure, they will readily admit they are a "sinner" and they have done "bad things" but they really don't understand that their sin is a crime against God. They don't know the depths of their own depravity, nor do they understand that even their smallest sin is an afront to a Holy God.
Further they don't understand that the result of even their smallest sins invokes the wrath of God against themselves, and will land them in a lake of fire.

I find that if I take the time to show them the Scriptures that not only declare to be a sinner, but then show them how the Bible defines sin (I John 3:4 is a good one!), their eyes begin to open.
Then the wheels in their minds begin to work....and the Scripture begins to do the work!

But, it takes "time and patience"....

Amen, The important key, "time and patience".... yet many try to rush it, for they feel they have not the time for patience.

Amen, The important key, "time and patience".... yet many try to rush it, for they feel they have not the time for patience.

Indeed, that is very important! One of the major flaws in modern "soul winning" is the fast food drive through mentality. So many "soul winners" today want to get a person to say a prayer quickly, declare them saved and move them along so they can run another through.

Where do we see such an approach in Scripture?

What we do see in Scripture is Christ, and His followers, pointing out the fact people are lost sinners who need to repent and accept Christ. Then it was up to the hearers to accept this or reject it. There was no pleading, prodding and pushing for anyone to say a prayer.