• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

No Nicolaitans

Easy As A-B-C?

Well, I'm 45, so I'm old enough to remember when things were much more relaxed. I grew up on a dirt road, and we lived exactly one mile off of the paved road. Sometimes, my dad would pull over when we got to our dirt road and let me drive the one mile home. That was the shortest mile ever when I got to drive it.

Well, I'm 45, so I'm old enough to remember when things were much more relaxed. I grew up on a dirt road, and we lived exactly one mile off of the paved road. Sometimes, my dad would pull over when we got to our dirt road and let me drive the one mile home. That was the shortest mile ever when I got to drive it.

Those were some good days, no doubt, much more relaxed.

We got off topic just a bit, but maybe they want put us before the firing line if I take it a bit further. At that time gas was about 18 cents per gallon, I had been working at a summer job, the money I made, 30 cents & hour, handing up tin building a chicken house, Father let me go to town that evening so I could spend a bit of my hard earned money. It felt good pulling up to the drive in, ordering a coke, them drinking it while dragging Main Street, for there was nothing else to do in the little town 5 miles down the highway from our home.

And by the way, Sunday morning, evening, & Wednesday evening, we were in church the country church one mile down the highway.

Those were some good days, no doubt, much more relaxed.

We got off topic just a bit, but maybe they want put us before the firing line if I take it a bit further. At that time gas was about 18 cents per gallon, I had been working at a summer job, the money I made, 30 cents & hour, handing up tin building a chicken house, Father let me go to town that evening so I could spend a bit of my hard earned money. It felt good pulling up to the drive in, ordering a coke, them drinking it while dragging Main Street, for there was nothing else to do in the little town 5 miles down the highway from our home.

And by the way, Sunday morning, evening, & Wednesday evening, we were in church the country church one mile down the highway.

Sounds like we grew up in very similar ways. My first job was cutting grass for an elderly lady. It took me about 5 hours with a push mower, and I charged her $10. Wasn't much money, but she would feed me with a full course country meal every time I cut her grass! Usually chicken and ham, fried okra, corn, potatoes, green beans or pintos...I mean like a family meal! And she cooked it while I was cutting her grass...it wasn't left-overs. I saved up my first two paydays and bought a straw cowboy hat.

I'm old enough to remember when all of the stores in town were closed on Sundays and Wednesdays...except the grocery store which was owned by the same man who owned the local bar.

Boy, those days are gone...and have been for a long time!

There is a children's song, the A-B-C song.
A is for Adam, God's first man to be,
B is for Bible, the best book for me,
C is for Christ in you, always to stay,
D is for doing God's will everyday.

Chorus

E is for eternal life from above,
F is for faithfully walking in love,
G is for God's gifts given to man,
H is for holy spirit within.

Chorus

etc., etc

Guest Joshua Berndt

I read a few posts, so I know some of the context. Man, it kind of amazes me how Christians can be saved with few and easy information(verses, etc.) and then later make it so complicated. Others can be saved with the same information and then give a "gospel" that is lacking. It doesn't matter to the person being saved, where Christ was buried. It matters that he arose! We shouldn't make it a social "gospel" or add so much that they have to keep a hired accountant to remind them of all the details. The following post shows what I give when I give the gospel in written form:

Guest Joshua Berndt

"For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;" Romans 3:23

"For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord." Romans 6:23

"For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast." Ephesians 2:8-9

"But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us." Romans 5:8

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." John 3:16

"That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation." Romans 10:9-10

Do you discuss Hell with a lost sinner?
Do you discuss the idea of repentance - that no amount of good works or religion can save them?

Witnessing to the lost without reminding them of HELL is incomplete. What are they being saved from if we fail to warn them of hell?

Do you discuss the idea of repentance - that no amount of good works or religion can save them?

Witnessing to the lost without reminding them of HELL is incomplete. What are they being saved from if we fail to warn them of hell?

Amen!

Too many are getting folks to say a "sinners prayer" when those folks don't understand what it is they are doing. Far too often, folks are looking for an "easy out", they just want to say some prayer to cover their bases, or in some cases just to get rid of the person pushing them to say a prayer.

This is why there are so many declaring they have led hundreds to the Lord, yet those "new Christians" don't show up in church, have no change in their lives, are often never thought of or heard from again.

According to some sermons I've read, & according to some peoples simple plan to salvation, the answer is they don't speak of Hell, & it seems some of them leaves the Cross out.

UPDATE...

Out of curiosity, I tuned in to this pastor's (the one which prompted me to start this thread) latest sermon this last Sunday. He was actually preaching a salvation message.

The sermon was full of how God had changed him...personal examples...how God can change you (the listener)...how he wanted to please God since he was truly saved...etc...

When he came to the end of the sermon (I take it that it was time for the Invitation), he said the same thing - with no explanation...

"Getting saved is as easy as ABC...
A - Admit you're a sinner
B - Believe that Jesus Christ is God's own Son (He changed that a little from "believe that Jesus is the Son of God)
C - Confess your sins to him
...if you'll do that, you'll be saved!"

Then the church service recording went off, and the "Invitation to the Church" recording came on...and repeated the ABC's again...as normal.

I just thought it was interesting (and very sad) that this pastor preached a salvation message (?), used the same method, and still didn't explain anything!!!

UPDATE...

Out of curiosity, I tuned in to this pastor's (the one which prompted me to start this thread) latest sermon this last Sunday. He was actually preaching a salvation message.

The sermon was full of how God had changed him...personal examples...how God can change you (the listener)...how he wanted to please God since he was truly saved...etc...

When he came to the end of the sermon (I take it that it was time for the Invitation), he said the same thing - with no explanation...

"Getting saved is as easy as ABC...
A - Admit you're a sinner
B - Believe that Jesus Christ is God's own Son (He changed that a little from "believe that Jesus is the Son of God)
C - Confess your sins to him
...if you'll do that, you'll be saved!"

Then the church service recording went off, and the "Invitation to the Church" recording came on...and repeated the ABC's again...as normal.

I just thought it was interesting (and very sad) that this pastor preached a salvation message (?), used the same method, and still didn't explain anything!!!

Yes, that is sad.

Most people don't understand what it means to be a sinner. To most folks, the idea they have sinned means no more than they have done some bad things in their life. They have no idea that it means much more than that, how sin is such an afront to God, how they stand condemned already before God, that they actually need a Saviour and why.

Most today don't even understand who Jesus is. To many, Jesus was just some "good guy", a prophet, ancient preacher, or something else.

It's no wonder there are so many professing Christians who have clearly never been born again. Scripture makes it clear that if one is truly born again, they ARE a new creature and there will be evidence in their lives of the new birth. The idea that one can be saved yet exhibit no signs of salvation is unbiblical.

So many have turned to services that nearly guarantees they will not make you uncomfortable having convictions.

They make everything seem to be quick, easy and fun. They want to make services flow swiftly so they don't spend much time in prayer, the sermons are short and filled with exciting stories and pleasant things, upbeat songs are sang and everyone leaves feeling like they had a really good time.

Preaching leading to conviction of sinners unto repentance leading to salvation is missing. Preaching calling the saved to a holy life lived for Christ is missing.

Guest Joshua Berndt

I am unaware of ever meeting anyone who is not familiar with the subject of Heaven and Hell. So they know that there are only two eternal options. I then share scripture with them and if God wills it, the scripture will convict them. I prefer to keep my own talk to a minimum and instead use scripture. I don't need to address, in my own words, that good works won't save, because that is what Ephesians 2:8-9 does.

Guest Joshua Berndt

I don't remember if you said this guy was a saved Pastor or just some goof-goof religious leader. So many Christians don't trust scripture anymore, when they attempt to give the gospel. They like to come up with catchphrases, etc, to "get people saved." When this guy says, C--Confess your sins," what exactly does that mean? To one, that means confess that you are a sinner. To another, that means confess each and every sin(this is error). Why don't they just quote scripture on repentance and let the Holy Spirit and the Word do the work in their life?

There are many that don't know what the Bible itself teaches about Heaven and Hell - so we need to make sure that we teach about them from God's Word, not assume that our listeners already know the truth.

For consideration: the Bible does teach about confessing our sins - but it does not mean telling someone else about them. The word, as used in the Bible, means "to be of the same mind about." It is not enough that I told someone I sinned certain sins, or that I "confessed" them in a prayer - I need to be of the same mind as the Lord God about my sins: they are against Him, they make me guilty of eternal Hell, I need Jesus the Saviour to forgive me and cleanse me of those sins.

Guest Joshua Berndt

They make everything seem to be quick, easy and fun. They want to make services flow swiftly so they don't spend much time in prayer, the sermons are short and filled with exciting stories and pleasant things, upbeat songs are sang and everyone leaves feeling like they had a really good time.

Preaching leading to conviction of sinners unto repentance leading to salvation is missing. Preaching calling the saved to a holy life lived for Christ is missing.

Yep, you got that right! That is one reason why I left my Church. My Pastors wouldn't clearly present the gospel openly. Their "invitation" was where you had to go back to a room where they would share it with you. WHY? Where do we read in scripture of going to the backside of the Mt. of Olives to hear it, or being separated from the rest? If you do this to the unsaved, you rob yourself, because someone may need to hear it again and again before they are converted. You can't only harvest in the backrooms. You need to water and water and water some. Plus how are we supposed to know if a ministry has gone wrong if we never hear if they are giving the gospel accurately? And why should I invite unsaved relatives if they come and hear no gospel?

I don't remember if you said this guy was a saved Pastor or just some goof-goof religious leader. So many Christians don't trust scripture anymore, when they attempt to give the gospel. They like to come up with catchphrases, etc, to "get people saved." When this guy says, C--Confess your sins," what exactly does that mean? To one, that means confess that you are a sinner. To another, that means confess each and every sin(this is error). Why don't they just quote scripture on repentance and let the Holy Spirit and the Word do the work in their life?

Hi Joshua...I don't know anything about the pastor personally. The few times that I've listened to him, he sounded sincere...but we know that sincerity doesn't mean much. Mormons are sincere in their beliefs, as are other cults...and even non-believers are sincere.

To me, when I hear someone say, "confess your sins", my mind tells me that I have to confess all of my sins.

Guest Joshua Berndt

There are many that don't know what the Bible itself teaches about Heaven and Hell - so we need to make sure that we teach about them from God's Word, not assume that our listeners already know the truth.

For consideration: the Bible does teach about confessing our sins - but it does not mean telling someone else about them. The word, as used in the Bible, means "to be of the same mind about." It is not enough that I told someone I sinned certain sins, or that I "confessed" them in a prayer - I need to be of the same mind as the Lord God about my sins: they are against Him, they make me guilty of eternal Hell, I need Jesus the Saviour to forgive me and cleanse me of those sins.

What do they need to know about Heaven and Hell, that they don't already know? Hell, or more accurately, the Lake of Fire=eternal punishment and separation from God. They know this. Heaven(or more accurately the New Earth and Heaven, etc.)= being with God. What else do they need to know?

Guest Joshua Berndt

Hi Joshua...I don't know anything about the pastor personally. The few times that I've listened to him, he sounded sincere...but we know that sincerity doesn't mean much. Mormons are sincere in their beliefs, as are other cults...and even non-believers are sincere.

To me, when I hear someone say, "confess your sins", my mind tells me that I have to confess all of my sins.

Joshua 24:14 KJV - Now therefore fear the LORD, and serve him in sincerity and in truth: and put away the gods which your fathers served on the other side of the flood, and in Egypt; and serve ye the LORD.

1 Corinthians 5:8 KJV - Therefore let us keep the feast, not with old leaven, neither with the leaven of malice and wickedness; but with the unleavened [bread] of sincerity and truth.

Yes, that is kind of what I think of, confessing all sins. That is false. A person cannot possibly remember all their sins, or even know them. That is, know all that is sin. We sin and don't even know it is sin.

The heart [is] deceitful above all [things], and desperately wicked: who can know it? - Jeremiah 17:9 KJV

What do they need to know about Heaven and Hell, that they don't already know? Hell, or more accurately, the Lake of Fire=eternal punishment and separation from God. They know this. Heaven(or more accurately the New Earth and Heaven, etc.)= being with God. What else do they need to know?

Unfortunately, many people (I dare say - the majority of people) don't have a clue as to what hell and the lake of fire truly are. The average person, if they are familiar with hell, think that it's where the devil lives, and only "bad people" go there...both of which are not true.
  1. Satan is not now in hell...nor will he ever be.
  2. To believe that only "bad people" go to hell is both true and false; it's misleading, because it leads one to believe that "good people" go to heaven...and there is none good, no not one. However, to be satisfied that you're a "good person" compared to someone else will give you a false assurance of entering heaven.

Unfortunately, many people (I dare say - the majority of people) don't have a clue as to what hell and the lake of fire truly are. The average person, if they are familiar with hell, think that it's where the devil lives, and only "bad people" go there...both of which are not true.
  2. To believe that only "bad people" go to hell is both true and false; it's misleading, because it leads one to believe that "good people" go to heaven...and there is none good, no not one. However, to be satisfied that you're a "good person" compared to someone else will give you a false assurance of entering heaven.

That is most certainty true, most have the wrong idea about both Heaven & Hell, even many who have attended church services.

I know of several that believes there is no hell, & God loves everyone, & would not dare send a single soul to hell. One person even told me that God loves for people to sin so that He can offer His mercy & grace.

And others that believes Hell is reserved only for people like Hitler.

And one thing a person should try & be sure of, is it explain it properly so that person will not gain a false hope in place of the real 'Blessed Hope.'

In truth the Bible teaches us to confess our faults to one another:

James 5:16 Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.

We confess our individual sins to God:

1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

This may seem like picking at nits but there is a significant difference in the two terms.

I may have a wandering eye. I can go to a brother and say "Brother, I have trouble keeping my eyes where they need to be and off of where they shouldn't be, can you pray for me about that?"

That is good. We all have our faults and weaknesses (character flaws) and we need to rely on our brothers and sisters in Christ to lift us up in these matters.

But, if I go to someone and say:

"Boy, I've really been checking out [give a name], she is really hot and I'm having difficulties keeping my thought pure about her". That is ammunition for gossip and back-biting either today or in the future. These are the individual sins we need to confess to God alone.

This is one of the ways that the Roman Catholics got such a strong hold on the people. Everyone was required to confess to the priests. The papacy had better records on the population than J. Edgar Hoover ever did, and it wasn't afraid to use them. Edited by 282Mikado

Over the years I've found the vast majority of people who think they know something of heaven and hell don't know the biblical truth. Time and again people will say something to the effect that hell is where bad people go (they typically believe "bad" is decided by just "how bad" a person is compared to others), hell is often viewed as a place where bad people party it up for eternity, some even believe hell is where bad people go to "eternal sleep".

At the same time, many view heaven as a place where they become angels, a place where they spend eternity sitting on a cloud, playing a harp, bowing to God (and many don't like the idea of spending an eternity like that).

Take these and many other false ideas of heaven and hell along with the false views people have of Jesus, God, the Bible, salvation and eternity, and most folks actually know very little biblical truth in these matters.

It's very helpful to ask a few simple questions to learn what a person thinks about these matters and then be ready to show them what Scripture actually says.