• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

No Nicolaitans

Easy As A-B-C?

I've listened to a radio preacher in my area a few times to make sure that I heard his "salvation plan" correctly...

After his recorded sermon ends, another recording comes on that invites people to their church etc...and part of the final recording is an invitation to be saved...this is how it's presented...

If you want to be saved, it's as easy as A-B-C.
A - Admit that you're a sinner.
B - Believe that Jesus is the Son of God.
C - Confess your sins to him.

That's it...and that's all that is said.

I know what I think, but what do others think of this?

Does that person know that Jesus paid the price for their sins?

I might add, a pastor I listen to just a bit on Sunday morning, a Baptist, they never give the plan of salvation. But they do play a recording saying, "If you would like a copy of this sermon send ______ dollars to such & such address asking for sermon number ________. And we remind you our pastor has written many books that will help you, we will send you a listing of these book & how to order them.

A church of Christ pastor I have listened to, at the end of his sermon he always comes back on saying, if you would like some information about us, or Jesus, how to be saved, please send your name & address to such & such address & we will be glad to send this information to you freely along with a copy of this sermon, please mention sermon number ______ .

Something isn't it, the false teacher does not sell the Gospel, sends it out free, but the Baptist, our brothers in Christ, sell the Gospel.

Edited by Jerry80871852

I might add, a pastor I listen to just a bit on Sunday morning, a Baptist, they never give the plan of salvation. But they do play a recording saying, "If you would like a copy of this sermon send ______ dollars to such & such address asking for sermon number ________. And we remind you our pastor has written many books that will help you, we will send you a listing of these book & how to order them.

Hmmm...sounds like "filthy lucre" to me.

1 Peter 5:2
Feed the flock of God which is among you, taking the oversight thereof, not by constraint, but willingly; not for filthy lucre, but of a ready mind;

By the way, my Father has written a book that really helps me.

Hmmm...sounds like "filthy lucre" to me.

1 Peter 5:2
Feed the flock of God which is among you, taking the oversight thereof, not by constraint, but willingly; not for filthy lucre, but of a ready mind;

By the way, my Father has written a book that really helps me.

Mine to, its that 'Old Black Book.'

This "ABC" sort of thing is one of the reasons there are so many people out there who think they are heavenbound even though they have no real clue about Jesus. Typically, they think they are good with God because they said some "ABC" sort of prayer and their idea of proof they are okay with God is because they think they are "good people", certainly "better" than many others.

It's certainly a shame that so many of the preachers who actually preach the Word are also among those who seem to always be trying to sell something and asking for donations. Meanwhile, many of the false preachers offer free information, free booklets and such. It's really no wonder the false preachers stuff gets to more people and their teachings become acceptable to more and more.

How sad that people (especially Americans) want everything quick and easy that won't interfere with their lives. Shouldn't there be much more seriousness and consideration when approaching God? It's refreshing to hear from missionaries who take the Word to those in rural India or some other country tell of how the people eagerly gather around to learn more about Jesus and will spend hours listening to the Gospel, listening to the Word, learning just who God and Jesus are. When those who come forth accepting Christ do so, they do so fully knowing who Jesus is, understanding the Gospel, knowing and accepting the fact their lives will never be the same.

Meanwhile, here in America we have so many who want to toss up their idea of a quick prayer so they can feel safe and then hurry on with their life as if nothing has happened. Could it be that it's true, nothing actually happened?

Well, i for one like the abc method. It starts with admitting that we are sinners, and can be expanded a little at each point. It's a good way for the new convert to remember what took place, when he remembers his ABC's. I do however question the "C" that the pastor recommends. Confessing Christ is not the same as confessing sins--that comes with admitting we are sinners. I doubt that any of us could recall all our sins, so if that is what it takes, what about those we did not confess?

A- admit that you are a sinner

Rom 3:10 As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:

Rom 3:23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

Basically the Bible says "Nobody's perfect"!

B- believe on the Lord Jesus Christ

Joh 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

2Co 5:21 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

C- confess Christ

Rom 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

Rom 10:10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

What more need we say?

As simple as ABC.

This "ABC" sort of thing is one of the reasons there are so many people out there who think they are heavenbound even though they have no real clue about Jesus. Typically, they think they are good with God because they said some "ABC" sort of prayer and their idea of proof they are okay with God is because they think they are "good people", certainly "better" than many others.

It's certainly a shame that so many of the preachers who actually preach the Word are also among those who seem to always be trying to sell something and asking for donations. Meanwhile, many of the false preachers offer free information, free booklets and such. It's really no wonder the false preachers stuff gets to more people and their teachings become acceptable to more and more.

How sad that people (especially Americans) want everything quick and easy that won't interfere with their lives. Shouldn't there be much more seriousness and consideration when approaching God? It's refreshing to hear from missionaries who take the Word to those in rural India or some other country tell of how the people eagerly gather around to learn more about Jesus and will spend hours listening to the Gospel, listening to the Word, learning just who God and Jesus are. When those who come forth accepting Christ do so, they do so fully knowing who Jesus is, understanding the Gospel, knowing and accepting the fact their lives will never be the same.

Meanwhile, here in America we have so many who want to toss up their idea of a quick prayer so they can feel safe and then hurry on with their life as if nothing has happened. Could it be that it's true, nothing actually happened?

Seems our modern churches have found, along with some pastors, they can ask for money for those outside of their church, them those of the church don't have to reach so deep on their pocketbooks to support the ministries of that church. I might add, some of them even beg for it, while others will promise them blessing from God to support their church.

It looks bad for a church to be asking the world for money to support God's work. & even worse for them to beg for it.

There are several problems with the "ABC" method.
1. It completely ignores Hell. Hell is God's wrath poured out on sin. The reason why we are not seeing very many GOOD conversions these days is because the lost sinner does not really see and understand what God really thinks of him.

Psalms 7:11 God judgeth the righteous, and God is angry with the wicked every day.

I mean, let's think about this. How many people do you know that are not willing to admit they are a sinner? Nearly everyone I have witnessed to readily confesses to sinning, especially after they understand the Bible's definition of sin. The problem is not that they are unwilling to admit they have sinned; the problem is getting them to understand that God hates ALL sin, no matter how small, and that God will most certainly send them to Hell for all of eternity because of their sin. That is where most lost people balk. They don't want to admit that God hates them and their sin, and will punish them in everlasting fire because of it.

John 3:36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

2. It overlooks repentance. I think this was discussed elsewhere on a different thread. Every good Roman Catholic will "believe on Christ," but they won't reject their religion.....and guess what? They are not saved until they repent of anything and everything, and trust ONLY in Jesus Christ. They must turn from their sin, their religion, their good works, and their proud attitude about "how good they are" and believe ONLY on Jesus Christ for salvation.

3. It does not do justice to the supreme sacrifice that Jesus Christ made on our behalf. The gospel of Jesus Christ does not make much sense if a lost sinner does not understand how much God hates sin, and what lengths God is willing to go to in order to eradicate sin. I believe that the lost sinner must have a thorough understanding of the substitutionary sacrifice that Jesus Christ made for us. II Corinthians 5:21 is my favorite verse to use to get this across.

They won't have any trouble remembering salvation if they understand the underlying issues and ideas. Just because they can remember a nice little "ABC" thing doesn't mean they really understand salvation. Memorizing a catchy list is not the same as UNDERSTANDING what that list represents.

As far as the OP goes, that particular "ABC" is wrong.

Well, i for one like the abc method. It starts with admitting that we are sinners, and can be expanded a little at each point. It's a good way for the new convert to remember what took place, when he remembers his ABC's. I do however question the "C" that the pastor recommends. Confessing Christ is not the same as confessing sins--that comes with admitting we are sinners. I doubt that any of us could recall all our sins, so if that is what it takes, what about those we did not confess?

A- admit that you are a sinner

Rom 3:10 As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:

Rom 3:23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

Basically the Bible says "Nobody's perfect"!

B- believe on the Lord Jesus Christ

Joh 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

2Co 5:21 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

C- confess Christ

Rom 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

Rom 10:10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

What more need we say?

As simple as ABC.

People need to know who Jesus is. Depending upon what part of the world one is in, people either don't know Jesus or they have a very distorted idea of who Jesus is.

A person can't believe on the Lord Jesus Christ if they don't know who He is.

In Scripture we so often read of long sermons and much explanation. Christ delivering many long sermons and after His resurrection giving a long explanation on the road to Emmaus as He expounded on the whole of Scripture just who Christ was.

Phillip, with the Ethiopian, did similar in going through Scripture to explain to the man who Christ was.

Peter and Paul both gave long sermons and long explanations in Scripture.

One of the differences between those who are sincerely looking for the truth and those looking for a quick fix, is those who are serious don't get in a rush. Those who are serious about rightly finding God are eager to learn the truth and they are open to the patient teaching of the Holy Ghost as someone explains things to them. On the other hand, those looking for a quick fix are anxious to hurry things up. They aren't interested in learning more, they just want to get their bases covered so they can move on.

This is one of the main reasons those who take the time to present Christ and see conversions also see these people in church, while most of those who make a quick saying and get a quick prayer don't.

People need to know who Jesus is. Depending upon what part of the world one is in, people either don't know Jesus or they have a very distorted idea of who Jesus is.

A person can't believe on the Lord Jesus Christ if they don't know who He is.

In Scripture we so often read of long sermons and much explanation. Christ delivering many long sermons and after His resurrection giving a long explanation on the road to Emmaus as He expounded on the whole of Scripture just who Christ was.

Phillip, with the Ethiopian, did similar in going through Scripture to explain to the man who Christ was.

Peter and Paul both gave long sermons and long explanations in Scripture.

One of the differences between those who are sincerely looking for the truth and those looking for a quick fix, is those who are serious don't get in a rush. Those who are serious about rightly finding God are eager to learn the truth and they are open to the patient teaching of the Holy Ghost as someone explains things to them. On the other hand, those looking for a quick fix are anxious to hurry things up. They aren't interested in learning more, they just want to get their bases covered so they can move on.

This is one of the main reasons those who take the time to present Christ and see conversions also see these people in church, while most of those who make a quick saying and get a quick prayer don't.

Excellent points, John! Well said!

Seems our modern churches have found, along with some pastors, they can ask for money for those outside of their church, them those of the church don't have to reach so deep on their pocketbooks to support the ministries of that church. I might add, some of them even beg for it, while others will promise them blessing from God to support their church.

It looks bad for a church to be asking the world for money to support God's work. & even worse for them to beg for it.

Yes, I hear these sort of appeals all too often. It seems evern worse to me when they ask for a "love offering". Where is that in Scripture? Not to mention, the way they say it often makes them sound like some cheesy salesman.

I understand they have to pay for the radio time, but a simple message at the end saying something to the effect that if anyone would like to donate to help keep the show on the radio may do so, should be good enough. Beyond that, if the pastor/church can't support the radio program with out gimmicks or begging, then that may be a good indication they are not to have that program on that station.

There are several problems with the "ABC" method.
1. It completely ignores Hell. Hell is God's wrath poured out on sin. The reason why we are not seeing very many GOOD conversions these days is because the lost sinner does not really see and understand what God really thinks of him.

Psalms 7:11 God judgeth the righteous, and God is angry with the wicked every day.

I mean, let's think about this. How many people do you know that are not willing to admit they are a sinner? Nearly everyone I have witnessed to readily confesses to sinning, especially after they understand the Bible's definition of sin. The problem is not that they are unwilling to admit they have sinned; the problem is getting them to understand that God hates ALL sin, no matter how small, and that God will most certainly send them to Hell for all of eternity because of their sin. That is where most lost people balk. They don't want to admit that God hates them and their sin, and will punish them in everlasting fire because of it.

John 3:36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

2. It overlooks repentance. I think this was discussed elsewhere on a different thread. Every good Roman Catholic will "believe on Christ," but they won't reject their religion.....and guess what? They are not saved until they repent of anything and everything, and trust ONLY in Jesus Christ. They must turn from their sin, their religion, their good works, and their proud attitude about "how good they are" and believe ONLY on Jesus Christ for salvation.

3. It does not do justice to the supreme sacrifice that Jesus Christ made on our behalf. The gospel of Jesus Christ does not make much sense if a lost sinner does not understand how much God hates sin, and what lengths God is willing to go to in order to eradicate sin. I believe that the lost sinner must have a thorough understanding of the substitutionary sacrifice that Jesus Christ made for us. II Corinthians 5:21 is my favorite verse to use to get this across.

They won't have any trouble remembering salvation if they understand the underlying issues and ideas. Just because they can remember a nice little "ABC" thing doesn't mean they really understand salvation. Memorizing a catchy list is not the same as UNDERSTANDING what that list represents.

As far as the OP goes, that particular "ABC" is wrong.

Amen! A person must understand these things and they must know who Christ is.

Someone simply saying they believe on Jesus, or saying some "sinners prayer", without understanding, is doing nothing more than saying words.

I know some think everyone knows who Jesus is, especially in America, but it didn't take long for me to learn that's not true. Many Americans "think" they know who Jesus is, but their ideas are often way off and very unbiblical.

This is one of the reasons so many Catholics who were sincere in wanting to be right with God, that I've shared the Gospel with, were shocked to discover the real, true Jesus of Scripture. Once they came to learn the real Jesus, learn what Scripture actually says about salvation, they were ready to born again in Christ and separate from the RCC.

The Catholics have a prayer called "The Apostles Creed", and in that prayer, they attest that Jesus is God. Check out that prayer it is probably on line somewhere, it is a beautiful prayer, at least the parts I remember are. The trouble is, they do not apply it personally.

As for admitting that they are sinners, I have no trouble getting them to realize that "Nobody is perfect" as they most likely have said many times themselves. They know they have sinned, and point A of the ABC thing says "ADMIT that they are sinners."

The trouble with many soul winning methods is that they make it so long that the prospect gets lost in the conversation. I have given several examples from scripture where no one gave a systematic Bible lesson to lead someone to Christ. No matter how many bases you cover, someone will say it is not enough.

The Catholics have a prayer called "The Apostles Creed", and in that prayer, they attest that Jesus is God. Check out that prayer it is probably on line somewhere, it is a beautiful prayer, at least the parts I remember are. The trouble is, they do not apply it personally.

As for admitting that they are sinners, I have no trouble getting them to realize that "Nobody is perfect" as they most likely have said many times themselves. They know they have sinned, and point A of the ABC thing says "ADMIT that they are sinners."

The trouble with many soul winning methods is that they make it so long that the prospect gets lost in the conversation. I have given several examples from scripture where no one gave a systematic Bible lesson to lead someone to Christ. No matter how many bases you cover, someone will say it is not enough.

Catholics are also taught that Jesus is angry with us and wants to slam us so they must pray to Holy Mother Mary to calm Jesus down. Catholics are not taught who Jesus truly is.

There is a difference between admitting one is a sinner, as most do that, some even brag about it, and getting someone to understand how God views sin, all sin, including their sin, and getting them to admit to the truth of that. Most have the idea that, "yeah, I'm a sinner, but so what, I'm not as bad as some people". That's a long way from how God views sin and how we must see our sins.

The verses I recall where there were little was said when presenting the Gospel was in cases where they already knew who Jesus was, they understood things most people today don't.

As I mentioned above, those who are truly seeking God, truly desiring to know the truth, have a hunger to hear and learn about Christ and what God has to say. They are not in a rush, not looking for a quick fix, they are yielding to the conviction of the Holy Ghost. Those folks who are too busy to learn of God are not yet really interested.

Thanks for everyone's input. Remember, in the opening OP, I mentioned that all this preacher said was...

If you want to be saved, it's as easy as A-B-C.
A - Admit that you're a sinner.
B - Believe that Jesus is the Son of God.
C - Confess your sins to him.

That was it...nothing more...nothing explained...nothing expounded.

It has been covered, but I want to repeat a few things...

This method is given as a means of salvation; however, what if the person hearing this...

1. Doesn't know "why" they need to admit to being a sinner. Especially today, with the New Age philosophy of "there is no such thing as sin". What if they don't know why they are a sinner in need of a Savior? What if they don't know the penalty of sin? Just to admit you're a sinner is vague.
  2. Doesn't understand what is meant by Jesus being the Son of God. Like John, I'm well aware that there are people here in America who have no idea who Jesus is. I know a man who was raised in rural Georgia, never went to church growing up, and was saved while in the Army. During his salvation experience, his sergeant first asked him if he knew Jesus, to which this man replied, "Not off hand, is he a member of our platoon?" Now, that might strike some as humorous, but this man was completely serious. To believe that Jesus is the Son of God, without explaining, comes up short.
  3. Doesn't know all of his sins to confess. To simply say, "Confess your sins to him" leaves one thinking, "Okay, let me go down the list and confess all of my sins...but what if I forget some!

This ABC method comes up short in too many areas. There's nothing about the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ...not once was that mentioned in the ABC method mentioned above. Plus, there's nothing in the Bible about "believing that Jesus is God's Son" as a condition of salvation. Jesus as Lord, yes! The closest you will find is the Ethiopian eunuch, who upon wanting to be baptized, gave the testimony that he believed Jesus was the Son of God. However, this was after Philip had taken time to explain to him from scripture who Christ was, and Philip told him he could be baptized if he believed it with all of his heart.

There's nothing about believing from the heart in the ABC method above...nothing about the death, burial, and resurrection...nothing about calling on the Lord...nothing that can save. Sadly, many may hear this pastor's appeal, have their head-knowledge of what this pastor said to do, and have a false assurance of salvation.

A - Admit you're a sinner...okay, I'll agree with that, but it needs to be explained.
B - Believe that Jesus is the Son of God...that's not biblical...it's true, but not biblical in relation to being saved.
C - Confess your sins to him...that's not biblical in relation to being saved either...after we're saved, we confess our sins.

Now, before anyone jumps on me, realize I tried to keep this as short as possible. I may not have explained my thoughts completely...like this ABC method. :th_popout:

It is amazing that we can determine what another person knows or says because we didn't word things right. The prospects understanding and sincerity cannot be measured by any of us. Great things can happen with the simplest of effort when the Lord is in it. By the way, the publican got saved as easily as ABC;

he admitted he was a sinner (we don't know how much he understood the judgment of God on sin);
He believed on the Lord Jesus Christ;
He confessed that Jesus was able to forgive sin, that He was the Christ.

Was the publican saved?
You decide, maybe it was too simple for him!

It is amazing that we can determine what another person knows or says because we didn't word things right. The prospects understanding and sincerity cannot be measured by any of us. Great things can happen with the simplest of effort when the Lord is in it. By the way, the publican got saved as easily as ABC;

he admitted he was a sinner (we don't know how much he understood the judgment of God on sin);
He believed on the Lord Jesus Christ;
He confessed that Jesus was able to forgive sin, that He was the Christ.

Was the publican saved?
You decide, maybe it was too simple for him!

Marty, I did not read that anyone said they could determine what a person knows. That is why a good pastor will question someone that claims to have been saved, if they don't have it right, explain it to them.

Seems even John the Baptist practiced being sure, not taking short cuts rushing the process.

Mt 3:7 ¶ But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees come to his baptism, he said unto them, O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come?
Mt 3:8 Bring forth therefore fruits meet for repentance:

I would not think very highly of the pastor that did not ask the person claiming to be saved a few important question or when attempting to lead someone to Christ not to explain something like the Romans Road thoroughly to that person.

One thing for sure, it all happens at the Cross, no Cross, no salvation. Seems may are leaving the Cross out.

Of course, if a person has set though many Bible study classes, preaching service, such as a young boy that has been raised in church his whole life, & he gets saved at about 12 to 16 years of age, he will most likely heard these things many times. But the person that has never step foot in the doors of a good church, never opened a Bible, would not know anything about it.

Yet, many people that have the Scriptures open reading them, may need someone to explain it to them, as well many that have set though many services

Ac 8:31 And he said, How can I, except some man should guide me? And he desired Philip that he would come up and sit with him.

Short cuts are nice, yet, they can be very dangerous.

Just believing Jesus is the Son of God doesn't cut it.

There are many antichrists in the world. Is the Jesus that is being presented the True Chirst? or an antichrist?

One can believe Jesus was born of the virgin Mary, believe that he lived 33 years on this Earth, and even believe he died and rose again. But what if the person teaching those traits told you that Jesus lived in a fine home and had many riches? Is that the Christ? or an antichrist?

If I was telling someone that Jesus died, was buried, and rose again, but in my heart I believed he was buried in his own family tomb, would I be presenting the true Christ? of course not! The Christ who is able to save was buried in Joseph of Arimathaea's tomb, not a family tomb. I would be presenting another Jesus to the hearer.

When we preach Christ, we must preach Christ as He is presented in the Word of God or we present an antichrist to the hearer.

In my opinion, the ABC of the OP does not present the True Christ.

Edited by Standing Firm In Christ

I will be the first to agree (and to praise the Lord) that the plan of salvation is simple and easy. However, as SFIC implied, it must be the correct plan and the correct Jesus. It must be explained, it must be understood, and acceptance must come from the heart.

I'm reminded of the story of Naaman. He was plagued with leprosy, and Elisha sent him the cure...an easy cure at that!

2 Kings 5:10
And Elisha sent a messenger unto him, saying, Go and wash in Jordan seven times, and thy flesh shall come again to thee, and thou shalt be clean.

However, Naaman thought something more showy would be involved, and he actually got angry about it!

2 Kings 5:11-12
11 But Naaman was wroth, and went away, and said, Behold, I thought, He will surely come out to me, and stand, and call on the name of the LORD his God, and strike his hand over the place, and recover the leper.
12 Are not Abana and Pharpar, rivers of Damascus, better than all the waters of Israel? may I not wash in them, and be clean? So he turned and went away in a rage.

However, when Naaman's servants "explained" the situation to him, he accepted the plan and was cured.

2 Kings 5:13-14
13 And his servants came near, and spake unto him, and said, My father, if the prophet had bid thee do some great thing, wouldest thou not have done it? how much rather then, when he saith to thee, Wash, and be clean?
14 Then went he down, and dipped himself seven times in Jordan, according to the saying of the man of God: and his flesh came again like unto the flesh of a little child, and he was clean.

Now, Naaman was given the correct plan...an easy plan...but he still had to follow the plan. Had he only dipped six times, it wouldn't have worked. Only following the correct plan is what cured him. It would have been even easier to have only dipped once or twice in the Jordan, but that wouldn't have cured him.

And so it is with God's plan of salvation. God made it easy, but one must follow the correct plan! I'm not even necessarily opposed to an ABC method if...

1. It's adapted in a biblical manner in which the letters actually stand for part of God's plan of salvation.
  2. Each letter is explained.
  3. The hearer understands.
  4. Their belief must come from the heart.
Edited by No Nicolaitans

Yes, its God's way, or no way. It must be God's way, not man's way, & man just loves to take short cuts, except for when his father just started letting him drive their car by himself, them he wants to take the long way home so he can set behind the steering wheel longer.

:nuts:

Even though I'm nearing 66, I still remember those days. 1st time my father let me drive our car to town one night I got stopped by the deputy sheriff, it scared the living day lights out of me, I had no drivers license, I was only 14. Thankfully I was behaving myself.

The deputy sheriff knew us quite well, & he saw our car being drove around town he though someone might have stolen it, for he knew my father would not be in town that time of night. He didn't even ask for my drivers license, probably because he knew I did not have one!

As soon as I got home I told my father about it, I feared someone else would & would add something to it, & I wouold never get the car again till I got my drivers license & reached 16. Everything sure was different back in 1960.