• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

I write this as jest, not to make fun of anyone, but myself, as a victim of dementia.

Confused?

I just got back from who knows where?

Now that I’ve arrived, where am I?
I forgot who I am, but know where I went,
but don’t know what to do when I got there!
Got where? I don’t know, where?

I talk when I walk, but I see that I can’t;
If I could I would, but I can’t so I won’t;
Won’t what? I don’t know,
I forgot.

I feel that I am, but ain’t too sure,
I know that I’m not,
But what am I not?
I forgot. Perhaps a sot.

My mind is a mess, but I am on my way;
Life is a game, but I can’t play;
I don’t know the rules, nor what to say,
Wherever I’m going, I cannot stay.

If life is a game, and it cost to play,
I’ll save my money for another day;
If ever I’m found, then I’ll know I was lost;
But I cannot pay, can’t afford the cost.

I just got back from who knows where?
I’m not even sure that I ever was there!
Whatever I did, wherever I went,
I did not go to the place I was sent.

Back from where I do not know,
Maybe sometime I’ll try to go;
If I find I’ve already went,
I may use the cash I’ve spent.

I once was there, but now I am not;
But where I was, I forgot!
I came back before I went,
To the terrible place that I was sent.

I’ve turned inside out
And outside in,
Been down the road,
And discovered its end..

Originally the goal was to get where I’m going,
But now I fear that the goal is knowing;
Knowing what? I do not know,
Wherever I went, I am bound to go.

So follow my tracks, straight and true;
Give me a minute to think this through;
I know that I know, but am not too sure,
For whatever I have there is no cure.

So as I travel on my way,
I will stop wherever I stay;
But not too long, because it’s wrong,
Singing my song, my mixed up song.

I did not end up
Where I was going
But where that was
There’s no way of knowing;

Now I’m here, let me go again;
Go where? I don’t know!
I’m not really here—
You’ve let me go!

Yes, I went to a place
Where I’ve never been;
I never left until
I returned here again!

“He’s confused and addled”,
One might say;
But I’ll never go
Until first I stay.

So put your trust in me
And you will find,
That I am only half right,
Half of the time;

But if you will let me go,
To what place, I don’t rightly know;
I’ll return with proof of where I’ve been,
And come back to the place I started again.

If this is confusion,
And a jumbled mess,
Remember I am lost
And doing my best.

But there is no hope
For a forlorn man,
I’ll grasp at all
The straws I can.

When I find out
Where I’ve went
I’ll let you know,
I’m a happy gent;

Until I cross
That elusive hill
And find the grace
That gives me a thrill,

I’ll remain
In my present state
And before I go,
I’ll come back late!

Just when I think I’ve arrived,
I find that I’ve never left;
Such a long weary road ahead,
Of all good sense bereft.

Of nonsense there is no end,
It keeps attacking from without;
Just when I think I know the answer,
It’s then that I begin to doubt.

Before I’ve left,
I’m back again;
Oh what wretched
Shape I’m in.

Leaving tracks where I’ve never been,
I find myself returning again!
S’pose I’ll end up where I’ve always been,
Down the road, and back again!

Edited by irishman

May God clear your mind, so you know where you go,
with Jesus to hold you & keep you till your journey's end.

And whither I go ye know, and the way ye know.

Thomas saith u
nt
o him, Lord, we know n
ot
whither thou goest; and how can we know the way?

Jesus saith u
nt
o him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh u
nt
o the Father, but by me.

I write this as jest, not to make fun of anyone, but myself, as a victim of dementia.

My mother suffers from dementia too. Its no fun but if you can allow yourself to make light of it and laugh a little then, Amen.
We will probably remove her from Aricept (spelling) this coming week and maybe Namenda too. She is having occassional
very disturbing dreams. That said, she can still make fun of herself for forgetting things, people, places, events...etc., etc., etc., etc., etc. etc.

We have an widowed elderly lady at church who is suffering from about the same thing, her name is Sarah. She has seemed somewhat confused for the last year or so. We all feared for her, feared she would get off somewhere in her car & things would not go good. But recently she stopped driving & is now depended of others.

I'll try to keep this short, years ago when I used to go to the coffee shop, & elderly man, little did we know when he was showing up for morning & afternoon coffee, that he had been spending the day riding around. But somehow making it back to afternoon coffee, & home afterwards. Finally one day he did not show up at home in the afternoon, they found him in the far north of our county, no knowing where he was the next morning.

At that point his wife checked their checks & credit cards, in just the last month he had been buying gas at towns all around us to do his driving around between morning & after noon coffee time. And when they found him that morning, he had reached his end, & was totally confused & never knew his loved ones are friends again.

One thing, only God knows what tomorrow holds for any of us.

May the Lord richly bless & keep you & family.

My mother suffers from dementia too. Its no fun but if you can allow yourself to make light of it and laugh a little then, Amen.
We will probably remove her from Aricept (spelling) this coming week and maybe Namenda too. She is having occassional
very disturbing dreams. That said, she can still make fun of herself for forgetting things, people, places, events...etc., etc., etc., etc., etc. etc.

Namenda is a no-no for me. I was hallucinating, and having demonic nightmares, etc. It almost seemed better to have dementia than the medication! I am on aricept (a generic kind) and it seems to be helping slow down the symptoms. I also tried "the patch" but don't think I need it now. I had other problems that triggered my dementia for awhile, and made it worse. That is another story though.

By the way, I do not post when I am very confused, can't type right anyway, but I forget where some of the Books of the Bible are sometimes.--I knew them very well at one time. Edited by irishman

I'm sorry to hear you have dementia. I thought you were being silly or weird in several posts and now see this thread. At least in Heaven we will be perfectly whole, regardless of what happens to our minds and bodies down here. I guess I better doubly enjoy all our fellowship while you remember who I am!

Thank you Jerry, but I am not really that bad yet. I forget simple things that I already know how to do; get confused at times on what I am doing (reading directions when putting something together is particularly hard. I still understand it if my wife reads it to me though) Thank the Lord it is not worse.

I went to change a wall plug awhile back, and could not do it. The funny thing is, I could tell my wife how to do it, and she did it! (An amazing woman). I no longer drive (doctors orders) so she totes me around like a chauffeur, and doesn't even complain. I CAN still drive (am able to), but in Michigan, if I get in an accident whether its my fault or not, I am at fault because of the dementia. Otherwise, it is livable, so far. By the grace of God, things are pretty good.

Namenda is a no-no for me. I was hallucinating, and having demonic nightmares, etc. It almost seemed better to have dementia than the medication! I am on aricept (a generic kind) and it seems to be helping slow down the symptoms. I also tried "the patch" but don't think I need it now. I had other problems that triggered my dementia for awhile, and made it worse. That is another story though.

By the way, I do not post when I am very confused, can't type right anyway, but I forget where some of the Books of the Bible are sometimes.--I knew them very well at one time.

After discussions with her doctor we've decided to remain on both for now. The incidents are not near enough together to test if it is one or a combination of the two drugs. We'll have to keep going and see what happens.

Marty, I have a neighbor, whom I have known forever, he is about 75, or a bit older, he is in your condition, but he still drives some. He is a farmer, always has been, & still has his cows. And of course that means cutting hay, putting it up, hauling it from one place to where its needed, plus all the other things that goes with such an operation. I believe he may have one grandson that may help him. So far he has had no problem doing this. I talked to his wife just last week. She said, I know the time is short for him to keep on as he is, & he knows it, & we just take it one day at a time, that makes it easier for both of us.

His father, a farmer to, had this same problem, i remember his latter years for he was in a nursing home the same time my mother was. I talked to him many times. Maybe it runs in families.

Anyway, prayers, for both you & wife, I know its difficult on both of you, & that God will help by providing "GRACE," as needed.

Oh, I remember another one, my barber for many years retired just a few months back. he started barbering before I graduate high school in 1965. He retired because his wife was having this very problem & could not longer be left alone. I suppose he is approaching 80.

Back in my school days I did not like his hair cuts, but later in life they were pretty good. When he retired a young man just our of barber school rented the shop. he just did not have the ability, & quickly lost most customers. Hair cut there cost $10.00.

A friend I made during my truck driving days was a barer, now he works two days per week in his brother barber shop. About 6 month back I started going to him & he gives a right good hair cut for $6.00.

Just this week I saw my old barber at a Dollar store. His wife is now in a nursing home, he could not longer care for her. There seems to be lots of people out there affect by some version on this, some worse than others. Linda had an Uncle that had it. And it may be this uncle's oldest son may have a touch of it. I get that from my 2 brother in laws. In the last couple of years he will blow up at them over nothing.

Thanks be to God that we know that his is not as good as it gets, & neither were our younger days the best we will ever have. Our future, if you will, looks very peachy. The best is saved for when we cross from this life into the next life, & we can cross over with total confidence. And as Paul stated, "O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?" We have a wonderful 'Blessed Hope' that no one nor nothing can take away from us.

Plus, this old hymn came to mind, & the love we have for Christ Jesus because of that 'Precious Hope.'

'Tis So Sweet To Trust In Jesus

'Tis so sweet to trust in Jesus,
and to take him at his word;
just to rest upon his promise,
and to know, "Thus saith the Lord."
Jesus, Jesus, how I trust him!
How I've proved him o'er and o'er!
Jesus, Jesus, precious Jesus!
O for grace to trust him more!

O how sweet to trust in Jesus,
just to trust his cleansing blood;
and in simple faith to plunge me
neath the healing, cleansing flood!

Yes, 'tis sweet to trust in Jesus,
just from sin and self to cease;
just from Jesus simply taking
life and rest, and joy and peace.

I'm so glad I learned to trust thee,
precious Jesus, Savior, friend;
and I know that thou art with me,
wilt be with me to the end.

May the Lord bless,
Jerry

Turns out I DO NOT have dementia, but perhaps something worse! I passed the second test with "flying colors" and had the diagnosis rescinded. I have non-alchaholic cirrhosis (NASH) and something called "hepatic encephalopathy" which mimics the symptoms of a severe case of dementia. My liver has shut down, and the blood re-routed , so I take a strong laxative to clear my system of toxins. I take it at least twice a day, and don't go anywhere until it works, which sometimes takes quite awhile. Anyway, thanks for the prayers, I am trying to get on the list for a liver transplant, and have but one more step to go. Please pray for my wife, it's harder on her than it is on me.
Thanks.

Edited by irishman

Turns out I DO NOT have dementia, but perhaps something worse! I passed the second test with "flying colors" and had the diagnosis rescinded. I have non-alchaholic cirrhosis (NASH) and something called "hepatic encephalopathy" which mimics the symptoms of a severe case of dementia. My liver has shut down, and the blood re-routed , so I take a strong laxative to clear my system of toxins. I take it at least twice a day, and don't go anywhere until it works, which sometimes takes quite awhile. Anyway, thanks for the prayers, I am trying to get on the list for a liver transplant, and have but one more step to go. Please pray for my wife, it's harder on her than it is on me.
Thanks.

Some people believes the only cause for cirrhosis is drinking, they are badly wrong. Another cause is malnutrition, I was told that those young children shown in adds about feed the hungry that are potbellied is they have cirrhosis due to malnutrition.

Way to many Christians are to quick to judge a person that has cirrhosis.

Another thing I was told, drinking is not the real cause of malnutrition, its the lack of the heavy drinker eating properly. If they would eat properly the alcohol would not damage the liver so bad.

Thank you all for the prayers.

Not eating right can cause "fatty liver" which usually leads to cirrhosis in time. You all would be wise to get checked for it, because by the time its obvious, its too late.

My wife has been told she has "fatty liver" but so far so good. Me, I have a laundry list and am starting to forget things in the manner you describe just not as severe. My Dad is getting it too. An aunt has it real good, her husband is trying to get her children to take care of her. Members of our church have it and their spouses and members help when they can. It's a terrible thing but humbling and makes you think of the importance of simple things like spending time with your loved ones.

Edited by swathdiver

High dose of B12, and the whole B complex can help with dementia. MIght also see about a mercury detox, as many who have dementia are also those who get their regular flu shots, which have a mercury base to them. Also, metal fillings have mercury and mercury poisoning will cause dementia. Also look at www.iquebec.ifrance.com/autismemtl/2002/Haley_eng.html

Also, look up the book, "Beating Alzheimers" by Tom Warren.

Edited by Ukulelemike