• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Boehner To Bloomberg On Drinks Ban: ‘Are You Kidding Me?’

• Members

Rather than tackle the issues they should be dealing with, far too many politicians want to grab control of everything they can, even down to the point of telling us what size of coke we can drink.

Didn't this country used to tell communists they were wrong for trying to control everything?

• Members

Rather than tackle the issues they should be dealing with, far too many politicians want to grab control of everything they can, even down to the point of telling us what size of coke we can drink.

Didn't this country used to tell communists they were wrong for trying to control everything?

Yes, but really the only thing wrong, was they were not in charge. Power struggle continues.

• Members

I do believe there should be a way to cut down the sizes of drinks , there is way to many people obese, don't the Bible speaks against Gluttony?

There is a way to cut down on the size of drinks, people can order smaller sizes!

It's not like businesses only offer super sized drinks, there are still the regular large, medium and small sizes. If a person chooses to order a super big drink, then that's their choice. If they get fat because they drink those, that's their choice.

The government should not be in the business of telling the people what size of drink they can purchase, how many french fries they get with a meal, the size of a burger or any of that.

• Members

The government should not be in the business of telling the people what size of drink they can purchase, how many french fries they get with a meal, the size of a burger or any of that.

The loss of our personal liberty has been a gradual one. Govermental agencies, at all levels, have been taking small bites, one at a time. One French fry at a time, if you will. When we moved here in the mid 70's the only "zoning" requirement was to have a septic tank permit. Now, the land that our blood, sweat, and tears paid for is actually a rental property with a governmental landlord who watches everything we do. We must obtain his permission, which he often refuses to give, for what we want to do in our own backyard. (Last tax evaluation inspection included taking pictures, along with re-measuring everything outside our home.) Even though we own several acres and our closest neighbor is a 1/2 mile away, I CANNOT build a workshop in my backyard, due to specific zoning regulations.

You may ask what does this have to do with food. Simple. Soda serving size is like that septic tank requirement. Rather harmless in limiting freedom and does serve a preceived need. What will be added, next, to the food "zoning" restrictions? How about taking peanut products off the market because some people are allergic to them? Or banning home canning of applesauce and jelly? Or growing our own taters for French fries? Did you know that selling home grown fruits and vegetables from roadside stands is under attack? That bite will be followed by one to forbid growing xyz for consumption in our own home. (May already exist in some places.)

How far away are the requirements that we must put certain things in our grocery cart or on our plate when we go out to eat? It may be closer than you think. (ObamaCare for the table.) Food police will be watching to make sure you provide a fresh fruit and salad "for the children".

Did the founding fathers of this country intend for any level of government to have the ability to tell them what they could and couldn't eat? Can you imagine Patrick Henry accepting someone telling him what size beverage container he could purchase?

They tell us, sir, that we are weak; unable to cope with so formidable an adversary. But when shall we be stronger? Will it be the next week, or the next year? Will it be when we are totally disarmed, and when a British guard shall be stationed in every house? Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot? Sir, we are not weak if we make a proper use of those means which the God of nature hath placed in our power. The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us. Besides, sir, we shall not fight our battles alone. There is a just God who presides over the destinies of nations, and who will raise up friends to fight our battles for us. The battle, sir, is not to the strong alone; it is to the vigilant, the active, the brave. Besides, sir, we have no election. If we were base enough to desire it, it is now too late to retire from the contest. There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! Our chains are forged! Their clanking may be heard on the plains of Boston! The war is inevitable--and let it come! I repeat it, sir, let it come.

It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace-- but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! The next gale that sweeps from the north will bring to our ears the clash of resounding arms! Our brethren are already in the field! Why stand we here idle? What is it that gentlemen wish? What would they have? Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!
http://libertyonline.hypermall.com/henry-liberty.html
(emphasis added)

The loss of our personal liberty has been a gradual one. Govermental agencies, at all levels, have been taking small bites, one at a time. One French fry at a time, if you will. When we moved here in the mid 70's the only "zoning" requirement was to have a septic tank permit. Now, the land that our blood, sweat, and tears paid for is actually a rental property with a governmental landlord who watches everything we do. We must obtain his permission, which he often refuses to give, for what we want to do in our own backyard. (Last tax evaluation inspection included taking pictures, along with re-measuring everything outside our home.) Even though we own several acres and our closest neighbor is a 1/2 mile away, I CANNOT build a workshop in my backyard, due to specific zoning regulations.

You may ask what does this have to do with food. Simple. Soda serving size is like that septic tank requirement. Rather harmless in limiting freedom and does serve a preceived need. What will be added, next, to the food "zoning" restrictions? How about taking peanut products off the market because some people are allergic to them? Or banning home canning of applesauce and jelly? Or growing our own taters for French fries? Did you know that selling home grown fruits and vegetables from roadside stands is under attack? That bite will be followed by one to forbid growing xyz for consumption in our own home. (May already exist in some places.)

How far away are the requirements that we must put certain things in our grocery cart or on our plate when we go out to eat? It may be closer than you think. (ObamaCare for the table.) Food police will be watching to make sure you provide a fresh fruit and salad "for the children".

Did the founding fathers of this country intend for any level of government to have the ability to tell them what they could and couldn't eat? Can you imagine Patrick Henry accepting someone telling him what size beverage container he could purchase?

Good comments and finally after the home and food are totally government controlled.

Fiction tale (maybe):

Anonymous for the moment:
Knock-knock.
Man:
"Who is it?"
Police:
"The police, open your door NOW!"
Man:
"What seems to be the problem?"
Police:
"We know you have one of those KJ Bibles in your house and we don't need a warrant to come in and seize them."
Man:
Opens door, "Come in officers. What is wrong with a KJ Bible?"
Police:
Barges in, throwing the man to the floor and cuffing him. Saying to the wife, "Give us the Bible NOW!"
Wife:
"It's right here on the table in plain sight."
Police:
"Joe, take that Bible and book it for evidence. Cuff the woman and call social services to have the children removed."
Man:
"Leave my wife alone and keep your hands off my children."
Police:
" Shut up, you and your wife are being charged with subverting the minds of children with literature teaching intolerance toward persons of gender preference. Also subverting by attempting to teach of a higher authority than the U.S. Gov."
Police:
"You bub and the woman will be in jail long after these poor children are re-educated and become productive members of society."
Man and Wife: Praying, "Heavenly Father protect us from these people and preserve our family and home. In Jesus precious name, and for His sake. Amen."
Police:
"Jack, did you record all of that for evidence? I heard them use that forbidden name."

• Administrators

I do believe there should be a way to cut down the sizes of drinks , there is way to many people obese, don't the Bible speaks against Gluttony?

The way to cut down on it is for parents to teach their kids self control, and for adults to practice it. The Bible does speak against gluttony, but that doesn't justify the government becoming a nanny to us. It isn't any of governmental business how much soda we drink.

• Members

De 21:20 And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard.

Pr 23:21 For the drunkard and the glutton shall come to poverty: and drowsiness shall clothe a man with rags.

I do not understand, the Bible does speak against being a glutton.

H2151 זָלַל zalal zaw-lal' (2)
a primitive root (compare 2107); to shake (as in the wind), i.e. to quake; figuratively, to be loose morally, worthless or prodigal:—blow down, glutton, riotous (eater), vile.
A GLUTTON (1)
De 21:20
AND THE GLUTTON (1)
Pr 23:21

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
  • Members

No, they are not losing their minds. Their goal is very clear. To control every aspect of our lives from the time they allow us to be born until the time they withdraw life support.

The ones who are losing their minds are the "majority" who are allowing this to happen.