• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Is Repentance The Same As Faith?

• Members

“Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, AND faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ” (Acts 20:21).

“The crying need of our degenerate times is for a revival of true old-fashioned, Christ-centered Bible preaching that will call upon men everywhere to repent in view of that coming day when God will judge the world in righteousness by His Risen Son” (Harry Ironside).

Some men say that it is not necessary to preach repentance or to make an issue of it in soul winning since we don’t see it in John 3:16 and Acts 16:31. These basically define repentance as a synonym for faith.

I suggest that this is a strange way to use the Bible, since it is so obvious from other passages that repentance is necessary for salvation and since Paul preached both repentance and faith. Jesus said repentance is necessary (Luke 13:1-5); Paul said it is necessary (Acts 17:30, etc.); Peter said it is necessary (2 Pet. 3:9).

The reason why verses such as John 3:16 and Acts 16:31 don’t mention repentance is that proper biblical faith includes repentance and biblical repentance includes faith. Further, not every verse says everything about any one doctrine. We are to compare Scripture with Scripture.

The true meaning of faith must be explained and emphasized. The common way that “faith” or “belief” is defined by people today involves a mere mental consent to something, such as “I believe that George Washington was America’s first president” or “I believe that Jesus was the Son of God and came to die on the cross.” That is not what the Bible means by saving faith. Saving faith is a faith that issues from a heart that is convinced of its own fallen condition and has stopped making excuses and hiding in self-righteousness. Saving faith issues from a heart that is convinced that Christ is the only Lord and Saviour and that reaches out to Christ in personal trust. Saving faith issues from a surrendered heart, which is the very essence of repentance.

View the full article

• Members

“Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, AND faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ” (Acts 20:21).

The verse quoted in this article speaks of repentance to the Jews (God's people) and salvation to the Greeks (Gentiles).

Most of the time repentance is aimed at God's people who are in error, and not the unsaved. They do repent when they turn to Christ from their sin. This has been hashed over and over again on this forum, but it is necessary to understand it in its true nature.

The soul winner, hopefully, has enough since to explain that they must be sincere in calling upon the Lord, which entails recognizing that they are sinners; that alone is a decision they make to "repent" and turn from their wicked ways.

I do not wish to start a big debate again on this, but this type of thinking is destructive, and not edifying to the body of Christ. It must not be ignored.

The verse in the article are taken out of context, which goes to show us that we can "prove" nearly any of our pet doctrines by finding scripture to support them, while ignoring others.

Acts 17:30 is not any different than Jesus' words, that he came to "seek and to save" them that are lost.

Luke 13:1-5 more about God's people, but teaching the need for true repentance, which concerns every man, whether saved or not. True, repentance is necessary, the question is, is it something we do to obtain salvation, adding our works to faith? I think not.

Edited by irishman

• Members

As the verse states:

It is both, a turning from, and a going to. Paul noted the heart of the Thessolonian believers:

1 Thess. 1
[9] For they themselves shew of us what manner of entering in we had unto you, and how ye turned to God from idols to serve the living and true God;

This could be the reason for the great spiritual anemia in the 21st Century church. I heard a message from an older brother in the Lord, Daryl Champlin, 'What Happened to the Romans Road of Salvation?', and he said before Dr.'s Hyles and Rice, they preached repentance, but as society became more and more dark, door-to-door soul winning did not work WITH repentance. So. . . they removed it. Now, I don't want to lay the blame on just those men, but I can see how that type of "mindset" could affect some.

I believe we need to "teach" just like Matt. 28:19,20 says so people will see the "from" and "to" of biblical salvation. It's not works, it is reality. What are we really trying to achieve, a big number of convert slips from Saturday soul winning, the making of real disciples who have considered the cost, and chose Christ and the Cross?

Edited by PreacherBen

• Members

Mt 3:2 And saying, Repent ye: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

John was sent by God, & he preached repentance.

Mt 4:17 From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

Jesus preached repentance.

Mr 6:12 And they went out, and preached that men should repent.

And the apostles went froth preaching repentance, as instructed by Jesus.

Lu 13:3 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

And Jesus makes it clear, without repentance, the lost soul will perish.

• Members

Jerry all of your quotes were for the Jews who should have believed anyway. They needed to repent because they had gotten away from the Lord by tradition, but they did not repent to be saved, as far as saying it. The publican said "Lord be merciful to me a sinner" where does the Lord tell him to repent first?

Preacher Ben, that quote in Acts was to the Jews (repentance toward God) and to the Greeks who were abiding the wicked city of Ephesus. (and faith toward the Lord Jesus Christ) Read a few verses further, he also said that he was bound for Jerusalem to "preach the Gospel", not repentance. (Vs. 24, 25 and 27)

There are too many examples and verses that do not mention repentance. if it was necessary for us to repent before we were saved, it would be important enough to include it in those key examples. Men are repentant when they turn from sin to serving God.

I wish to answer the opening question of this post with an emphatic YES!

Edited by irishman

• Members

The verse quoted in this article speaks of repentance to the Jews (God's people) and salvation to the Greeks (Gentiles).

brother i have a question... i'm not trying to start a fight just have a question, may be you see something i don't and can shine some light my way

Jerry all of your quotes were for the Jews who should have believed anyway. They needed to repent because they had gotten away from the Lord by tradition, but they did not repent to be saved, as far as saying it. The publican said "Lord be merciful to me a sinner" where does the Lord tell him to repent first?

first i will say i agree completely, my question is : on the first quote what brings you to divide a sharp line in the fact of the repentance to the jews and the faith to the gentiles ?

is it just because the sequence in which it is written... repentance/jews faith/gentiles... or do you have a scripture on scripture, ref. that you are going by, i can not see clearly how this sharp of a line can be drawn in the middle of this verse, at this point in the book of acts

scripture to support the 2nd quote

acts 2

v.s. 14 context Ye men of Judaea, and all ye that dwell at Jerusalem
v.s. 22 context Ye men of Israel, hear these words
v.s. 36 context Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ.
v.s. 37-40
Acts 2:37-40 Now when they heard this, they (jews) were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do? (jews)Then Peter said unto them (jews), Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. For the promise (the kingdom) is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call. And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation.

Save yourselves from this untoward generation. at this time a continuance of the gospel of the kingdom was being preached, and i believe he was speaking of the matthew 25 judgement...for the children of isreal had said "let his blood be upon us and our children"

more over latter on in the apostolic age the gospel of the kingdom is still being preached and isreal is the focus and it is said

Acts 5:30-32 The God of our fathers raised up Jesus, whom ye slew and hanged on a tree. Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins. And we are his witnesses of these things; and so is also the Holy Ghost, whom God hath given to them that obey him.

acts 5:17 --- the high preasts rose up aganst them
Acts 7:1 Then said the high priest, Are these things so? } this was isreal's last chance to receive the witness... they then rejected the holy ghost just like they had rejected, the father 1 sam 8:7, and the son mat 23:36-39, luke 19:41-48

​so i can see repentance connected with the jews (at this point) , but i can not see the focus on the jews at this latter point in the book of acts

how ever i do see repentance not as a turning from sin but as a "by what authority do you attain righteousness" being preached to both jew and greek, in the church age

i.e. Romans 10:1-4 Brethren, my heart's desire and prayer to God for Israel is, that they might be saved. For I bear them record that they have a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge. For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God. For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.

therefor i see repentance in rom 10:10
Ro 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
Ro 10:10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

[confession] not of sins but of taking owner ship to Gods righteousness by faith in the name of Jesus, by submitting to it, now one can not submit to God's righteousness unless he repents of his own righteousness (what ever form it is in)

i see also repentance represented in act 17 the same way toward some gentiles

acts 17:22-29
Acts 17:22-23 Then Paul stood in the midst of Mars' hill, and said, Ye men of Athens, I perceive that in all things ye are too superstitious. For as I passed by, and beheld your devotions, I found an altar with this inscription, TO THE UNKNOWN GOD. Whom therefore ye ignorantly worship, him declare I unto you.

Acts 17:29 Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device.

* worshiping false Gods, to attain false righteousness

Acts 17:30-31 And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent: Because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained; whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead.

* is not Paul preaching repentance, not of sin but of religious authority/religious belief ?
*and is it not to the gentiles ?
*if in acts 20:21 repentance is only being spoken to the jews then why ?

in the light of the gospel of the kingdom no longer being preached (rom 2:16) ? for i have no doubt they where being told to repent of there sins (in particular, crucifying Jesus) but later i see repentance preached to both jew and gentile in the form of religious authority and means of justification by God's righteousness

• Members

Preacher, your post was well written, and well taken. I simply wished to point out that the two "Repentances" are not always for salvation i.e. to obtain salvation which comes through faith only.

There are many examples of "Repentings" that were not made clear to us in that they did not openly repent.

The thief on the cross;
The Philippian jailer;
the Pharisee who asked for mercy;
even John 3:16 does not mention repentance per se,
Nor the verses you quoted:
Rom 10:9,10 and13 (v 8 says this is the Word of faith which we preach)
The Gospel (Death, burial, resurrection) does not mention repentance so are we preaching the Gospel of faith or repentance?

Repentance to the world is "turning over a new leaf" which would not save anyone as we know.

According to one of your quotes, (Acts 2:37-40) you also need to be baptized to be saved. They are two distinct and separate acts.

In answer to your question, yes, the verse says "and" as if it were a different (Acts 20:21) thought or act altogether.

• Members

Preacher Ben, that quote in Acts was to the Jews (repentance toward God) and to the Greeks who were abiding the wicked city of Ephesus. (and faith toward the Lord Jesus Christ) Read a few verses further, he also said that he was bound for Jerusalem to "preach the Gospel", not repentance. (Vs. 24, 25 and 27)

There are too many examples and verses that do not mention repentance. if it was necessary for us to repent before we were saved, it would be important enough to include it in those key examples. Men are repentant when they turn from sin to serving God.

I wish to answer the opening question of this post with an emphatic YES!

Repentance, is both for Jew & the gentile.

Ac 26:20 But shewed first unto them of Damascus, and at Jerusalem, and throughout all the coasts of Judaea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, and do works meet for repentance.

2Co 7:10 For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death.

2Pe 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

With out repentance, there is no salvation.

• Members

True Jerry, and I do believe in repentance, but most N.T. references to it are speaking of salvation.

An example is:

2Pe 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

Repentance alone will not keep a man from perishing.

2Co 7:10 For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death.

2Ti 2:25 In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;

Then, in Acts
Act 19:4 Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.

Act 26:20 But shewed first unto them of Damascus, and at Jerusalem, and throughout all the coasts of Judaea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, and do works meet for repentance.
(Turn to God at the same time they repent)

Edited by irishman

• Members

Preacher, your post was well written, and well taken. I simply wished to point out that the two "Repentances" are not always for salvation i.e. to obtain salvation which comes through faith only.

There are many examples of "Repentings" that were not made clear to us in that they did not openly repent.

The thief on the cross;
The Philippian jailer;
the Pharisee who asked for mercy;
even John 3:16 does not mention repentance per se,
Nor the verses you quoted:
Rom 10:9,10 and13 (v 8 says this is the Word of faith which we preach)
The Gospel (Death, burial, resurrection) does not mention repentance so are we preaching the Gospel of faith or repentance?

Repentance to the world is "turning over a new leaf" which would not save anyone as we know.

According to one of your quotes, (Acts 2:37-40) you also need to be baptized to be saved. They are two distinct and separate acts.

In answer to your question, yes, the verse says "and" as if it were a different (Acts 20:21) thought or act altogether.

Amen brother

i see what you are saying, and you somewhat stand against the common preaching of repentance, for close to the same reason i do...

some preach repent of your sins, and ask God to forgive you...instead of give up all hope in yourself, your religion, and receive Jesus by faith...and for this reason i preach against the way ​that they are preaching repentance...and it seems to me that you take a simular stand, but a different approach

i oft times try to reason with preachers that they can not expect sinners to repent of sins that have not repented them (the sinner) if they did it would only be lip service...and God dose not expect them to either, they are still under dominion of sin (the servants of sin) it's not about trying to get sinners to confess their sins to God, it is about getting them to stop trying to justify their sin's and creating (our trying to be) their own God.. it is about getting sinners to see that "Proverbs 16:25 There is a way that seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death." and that Jesus is "John 14:6 I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." that they will repent of their way, and turn to God's way... they must submit to God's righteousness and "Romans 10:4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth." the resurection authenticated the name of Jesus "Romans 1:4 And declared to be the Son of God with power, according to the spirit of holiness, by the resurrection from the dead:" the name of Jesus is the foundation of N.T. faith "Romans 10:13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved." 1 John 5:11-13 And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life. These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God."

i have been edified through this conversation, and i now will say that a man can be saved by only Faith (receiving Jesus by faith) if ​he has no prior religious belief, now if he dose have a religious pretense he must repent of this pretense at the hearing of the word of God "Romans 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God."

yes the world dose view repentance in this way, and sad to say many preachers preach it to them this way (but they think they don't), now the church is who this repentance should be preached to, and if the church would repent, would we not soon see revival ?

• Members

For a man to be saved, he has to come to an agreement with God, the agreement that he is a sinner, admit he is a sinner, until he has agreed that he is a sinner, had a change of heart, repented, its quite impossible for him to confess his sins to God. For he is in completel disagrement with God.

Mr 2:17 When Jesus heard it, he saith unto them, They that are whole have no need of the physician, but they that are sick: I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

Those that will not admit they're a sinner, refuse to repent, refuse to admit they have sinned against God, for them there is no salvation, that is they cannot be saved simply because they believe there's nothing wrong with them, nothing to repent of.

And this is not adding one thing to faith, one is saved by grace though faith in Jesus Christ, not of self, not of works, its a free gift from God though Jesus.

• Members

For a man to be saved, he has to come to an agreement with God, the agreement that he is a sinner, admit he is a sinner, until he has agreed that he is a sinner, had a change of heart, repented, its quite impossible for him to confess his sins to God. For he is in completel disagrement with God.

ok so lets say this man has repented, by your def. he admits something he already knows, which is he is a sinner, and this is a change of heart

he now can confess his sins to God, because he is in agreement with him [ this is what you have said right ] that he is a sinner, and now there is salvation for him because he has something to repent of

now my question

* dose he have to confess his sins in order to be saved ?
* if so what Emphasis do you put on this and why ?
* is there any thing else he must do in order to be saved, according to your bible understanding ? Edited by frontline_preacher

• Members

Repentence is to 'turn against' something.
Salvation takes place when one turns against sin and self and turns to God in faith..
Repentence cannot take place without faith in God and faith cannot come without repentence. They are inseperable. When the people of the city of Nineveh repented of their wickeness, they did so in faith, else they never would have repented. And when they did so, God Himself repented; He turned against the destruction He intended for them. Likewise, I was once headed for destruction, which was plainly promised from God, but when I repented in faith, just like the people of Nineveh, God spared me as well.

Psalm 24:
7Lift up your heads, O ye gates; and be ye lift up, ye everlasting doors; and the King of glory shall come in.
8Who is this King of glory? The LORD strong and mighty, the LORD mighty in battle.
9Lift up your heads, O ye gates; even lift them up, ye everlasting doors; and the King of glory shall come in.
10Who is this King of glory? The LORD of hosts, he is the King of glory. Selah.

God may have just shown me something. The inhabitants of ancient cities were protected by massive city walls and when a conquering ruler beseiged the city, his forces would have to breech the walls in order to conquer it, and subdue them as their lord and master. But in the case of our Lord, He will not try to breech our wall. He will only come in when we WILLINGLY open the gates of our heart, and submit to Him as Lord and Master. That is what people don't want to do. They don't want to give up their sin and self.