• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Zombies And Aliens

• Members

The men (plural) took wives (plural) - doesn't mean each man took multiple wives. Lamech was from the ungodly line.

Genesis four and five lists the generations of people from Adam's time until the flood - generations of Adam, meaning man or mankind (and the context of verses 1-2 show that God was using the term Adam in his way, then He goes on to individuals in verse 3), showing how many generations there were during this time period. Noah lived in two entirely different generations - the one before the flood (and all except those kept safe within the ark died), and the generation after the flood.

No need to look for some unique definition of the word generation(s).

I wouldn't think of it.

]Generation (from the Latin generāre, meaning "to beget"),[1] also known as procreation in biological sciences, is the act of producing offspring. In a more general sense, it can also refer to the act of creating something inanimate such as ideas, sound, electrical generation using technology or cryptographic code generation.

Noah was absolutely perfect in his" acts of producing offspring" because he was first of all "walking with God" and therefore most likely married a believer, and also because of his intimate fellowship with God, his only "acts of producing offspring" would have been with his one wife. exactly and PERFECTLY the way God intended....Noah was a "one woman man".
"generations of Adam" in Genesis 5 means "what Adam produced" or "begat" same as "generations" of Noah. A "generator" produces something, and the things which it produces are "generations".

This reminds me of the phrase "help meet". Most men seem to think the phrase "help meet" is a noun or at least an adjective followed by a noun" when actually it is the other way around. Eve was not a "help meet"; she was a "Help"(noun)........... which was "meet"(adjective) "fitting" or "appropriate" or "proper"..... for Adam. Jerry, Just because someone tries to clarify the meaning of something in the Bible, doesn't always mean they are "looking for unique definitions" Excuse me. my "help meet" is calling me. :) Edited by heartstrings

• Members

Clarifying doesn't mean you are looking for unique definitions - however, when you take a Bible word and try to make it mean something unique in one passage that it doesn't possibly mean anywhere else in the Bible, then there is a problem. See Matthew 24:34.

• Members

Clarifying doesn't mean you are looking for unique definitions - however, when you take a Bible word and try to make it mean something unique in one passage that it doesn't possibly mean anywhere else in the Bible, then there is a problem. See Matthew 24:34.

I made it just as clear as I know how, that I believed "generations" means exactly the same thing in Genesis 5. Genesis 6 and Genesis 10. So why do you say this?

• Members

Ok, for the sake of your argument, can you please list the references (actual verse numbers) that you believe fit your definition of the word?

Also, perfect means complete or mature (spiritually) in the Bible when referring to a person - so are you saying Noah was mature in his baby making? (Sorry, not sure how else to phrase this.)

• Members

World English Dictionary perfect adj 1. having all essential elements 2. unblemished; faultless: a perfect gemstone 3. correct or precise: perfect timing 4. utter or absolute: a perfect stranger 5. excellent in all respects: a perfect day

Noah was complete, whole, lacking nothing, flawless, faultless, unblemished, in his 'gendering'. The Bible says that before the flood came they were "marrying" and "giving in marriage". It is possible that this means they were actively engaged in those pursuits. Men like David, Solomon, Abraham, and Jacob, for instance, would not be considered perfect in this respect because they took multiple wives, and/or commited adultery etc. Noah was not doing any of that.

• Members

I believe that the Catholics believe that the use of the word perfect, means Noah was perfect, free of sin.They also believe that Job was perfect, free of sin. As was Mary. On the level that Jesus was sinless. Anyway, that what RCC members told me, & I believe I read it on thier web site a few years back.

Yet the Bible tells us that was only one perfect, sinless, that being Jesus.

Heb 4:15 For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.

1Pe 2:22 Who did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth:

Yet, as for all others.

Ro 3:23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

Ro 3:9 What then? are we better than they? No, in no wise: for we have before proved both Jews and Gentiles, that they are all under sin;
Ro 3:10 As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:
Ro 3:11 There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God.
Ro 3:12 They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one.

Ec 7:20 For there is not a just man upon earth, that doeth good, and sinneth not.

• Members

Maybe I'm missing part of what you are saying. Yes, there was only one person who lived a sinless life - the Lord Jesus Christ. But the Bible never uses the word perfect in that way. In fact, even Jesus needed to be made perfect by suffering on the cross.

Hebrews 5:7  Who in the days of his flesh, when he had offered up prayers and supplications with strong crying and tears unto him that was able to save him from death, and was heard in that he feared;
    8  Though he were a Son, yet learned he obedience by the things which he suffered;  
    9  And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;

When we understand the word perfect means complete, then it makes sense that Jesus needed to be made complete as our Saviour by dying for our sins. When referring to a person, it means to be complete as well - but mentally or spiritually - be ye therefore perfect, be a mature believer and be like God in this aspect (the context of Matthew 5:48 is dealing with loving our enemies - in other words, we can strive to obey this verse and follow the Lord's example); Walk before me and be thou perfect , grow up spiritually Abraham and don't make those same foolish decisions that got you in trouble before. Noah was a mature, godly believer, someone to be emulated.

• Members

I just can't believe that anyone still holds to the "saved line of Seth" nonsense.

This is just one of the many examples of why there is so much division among IFBs, not to mention in Christianity in general.

There are those who vague or unclear passages as meaning one thing, while others say they mean something else, and rather than studying such out together, with actual open minds to the Spirits teaching, they argue, attack, denigrate, name call and create rifts.

While we should all stand 100% on that which is 100% clear in Scripture, there are matters would could easily disagree on without being hostile and demand "our way or the highway".

Churches, associations and fellowships fall apart over matters such as this, whether to allow a guitar to be played and even over matters such as the color of the carpet or whether to buy padded or unpadded pews!