• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Majesty Music And Getty

• Members

This has been an interesting topic to read. I've been saddened, amused, bemused, encouraged and dismayed. I'm Baptist by background though currently a member of a church that doesn't have "Baptist" in its title. I came here following a link about the Rejoice hymnal and found a discussion that displays vastly different levels of coherent interaction. The voices of reason and the voices of self-righteous, puffed up, legalistic Pharisaism.

To those of you throwing your lot in with the "guilty by association" approach, I just have this to say:

I'm sure glad you weren't around in 33 A.D. so you could question Jesus' salvation because of who He associated with during His ministry.

Y'all need to take a long hard look at what it meant to be a Pharisee in those times, because it seems to me a bunch of you would have fit right in.

Now, to hymns - would you like to discuss hymns that are published as being able to be sung to different tunes? Would you like to discuss the different tunes that have become favourites on different sides of the Atlantic for whatever reason and are therefore "familiar" to each in their own way, and "odd" in the other way, and somewhat "wrong"?

Would you like to discuss hymns written by non-Christians? Would you like to discuss hymns written by Unitarians, Universalists, or [insert doctrine you disagree with]?

I thank God He did not prescribe style of worship. Which is why it's incredible to read some of the rubbish I've seen here. God be with you.

What would you like to discuss?

• Members

This has been an interesting topic to read. I've been saddened, amused, bemused, encouraged and dismayed. I'm Baptist by background though currently a member of a church that doesn't have "Baptist" in its title. I came here following a link about the Rejoice hymnal and found a discussion that displays vastly different levels of coherent interaction. The voices of reason and the voices of self-righteous, puffed up, legalistic Pharisaism.

To those of you throwing your lot in with the "guilty by association" approach, I just have this to say:

I'm sure glad you weren't around in 33 A.D. so you could question Jesus' salvation because of who He associated with during His ministry.

Y'all need to take a long hard look at what it meant to be a Pharisee in those times, because it seems to me a bunch of you would have fit right in.

Now, to hymns - would you like to discuss hymns that are published as being able to be sung to different tunes? Would you like to discuss the different tunes that have become favourites on different sides of the Atlantic for whatever reason and are therefore "familiar" to each in their own way, and "odd" in the other way, and somewhat "wrong"?

Would you like to discuss hymns written by non-Christians? Would you like to discuss hymns written by Unitarians, Universalists, or [insert doctrine you disagree with]?

I thank God He did not prescribe style of worship. Which is why it's incredible to read some of the rubbish I've seen here. God be with you.

I really do not want to have a discussion with someone whose 1st post on this forum calls post in this topic rubbish. You come off sounding much like a publican, without any grace in the tone of your post.

• Members

Funny, in Australia a "publican" is the owner of a public bar, which in country towns is also the local family restaurant, so levelling the accusation of "publican" against me carries no weight I have to tell you.

As God is sovereign in all things, I pray for Him to direct my music choices for our worship. I prayerfully and carefully select songs that are doctrinally accurate and faithful to God's Holy Word, and everything I put forward goes through our pastor for approval in the week prior to the service.

This week we're going to be singing, among other songs, "Nearer My God To Thee", a hymn written by a Unitarian, who attended a Unitarian church. So that means we're singing a hymn, which appears in YOUR hymnal too, written by someone who didn't even believe in the Trinity. Can we still sing this song faithfully? Can I introduce this song to the congregation with confidence that God's truth is present? I think so. I think God can make a donkey talk to achieve His purposes, so I pray for His guidance and leadership and grace in this.

Before "Nearer My God To Thee" we'll be singing "O Church Arise", as well as a slightly modernised version of "Crown Him With Many Crowns". Actually, lest you think I'm trying to hide anything, here's our whole playlist on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2siQzL4MPrOOYKVuYeXAcm2MTAuHrHqS.

If you go there you'll find all our playlists on our channel since I started putting them up on YouTube in October last year. If you look hard enough you'll even find a picture of me!  :)  I'll give you a clue - I'm NOT one with feathers in my hair!

I welcome your interaction.

• Members

There is a group like that in a baptist church near here.  They call them a praise group or worship group, I thing they are more like professional mourners.

Was that directed as a response to my post? You might have to explain that one a bit more.

• Members

In Australia, a public bar is an establishment whose primary purpose is the sale of alcohol, regardless of whether it is city or country.
Yes many country pubs also have a meal service, but they are still pubs.
please don't try to falsely represent the situation.

As to your link above - it takes me to a bunch of YouTube links - do you just project these for everyone to watch?

• Members

Yes. Alcohol. Another topic we could have a lively discussion on. However, I'm not sure why you think it would be appropriate to label my previous comment as "sounding much like a publican". I said nothing inherently characteristic of either a tax collector or an owner of an establishment whose primary purpose is the sale of alcohol.

Yes, the link I posted is to a YouTube playlist, which I "just project for everyone to watch". The playlist is our song selection for the coming week. I did not create the videos (well, not most of them. I've uploaded three songs I couldn't find elsewhere). I create a playlist and then link to videos of songs we intend to share with the congregation. In this way whoever wants to can listen to the songs for the coming Sunday worship, or they can go back and find a song they particularly enjoyed and listen to it again and sing along with it in their own time.

Here's a rule of thumb I've found to be helpful in life - difference in preference of style of worship does not a heathen make. How you cope with that difference may, however, a Pharisee out.

• Members

I didn't call you a publican - that was someone else.
I pointed out a misrepresentation you made about pubs in Australia.

My question regarding the playlist was because I got the impression that you were linking to music you had actually played and recorded - I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

Can I say, your first post was combative in it's tone, then when questioned you become aggressively defensive.
you really can't expect to gain much respect with attitude like that.

• Members

Yes. Alcohol. Another topic we could have a lively discussion on. However, I'm not sure why you think it would be appropriate to label my previous comment as "sounding much like a publican". I said nothing inherently characteristic of either a tax collector or an owner of an establishment whose primary purpose is the sale of alcohol.

Yes, the link I posted is to a YouTube playlist, which I "just project for everyone to watch". The playlist is our song selection for the coming week. I did not create the videos (well, not most of them. I've uploaded three songs I couldn't find elsewhere). I create a playlist and then link to videos of songs we intend to share with the congregation. In this way whoever wants to can listen to the songs for the coming Sunday worship, or they can go back and find a song they particularly enjoyed and listen to it again and sing along with it in their own time.

Here's a rule of thumb I've found to be helpful in life - difference in preference of style of worship does not a heathen make. How you cope with that difference may, however, a Pharisee out.

That's true, but its also true, the heathen never makes wise selections, & neither does the canal Christian.

Funny, in Australia a "publican" is the owner of a public bar, which in country towns is also the local family restaurant, so levelling the accusation of "publican" against me carries no weight I have to tell you.

As God is sovereign in all things, I pray for Him to direct my music choices for our worship. I prayerfully and carefully select songs that are doctrinally accurate and faithful to God's Holy Word, and everything I put forward goes through our pastor for approval in the week prior to the service.

This week we're going to be singing, among other songs, "Nearer My God To Thee", a hymn written by a Unitarian, who attended a Unitarian church. So that means we're singing a hymn, which appears in YOUR hymnal too, written by someone who didn't even believe in the Trinity. Can we still sing this song faithfully? Can I introduce this song to the congregation with confidence that God's truth is present? I think so. I think God can make a donkey talk to achieve His purposes, so I pray for His guidance and leadership and grace in this.

Before "Nearer My God To Thee" we'll be singing "O Church Arise", as well as a slightly modernised version of "Crown Him With Many Crowns". Actually, lest you think I'm trying to hide anything, here's our whole playlist on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2siQzL4MPrOOYKVuYeXAcm2MTAuHrHqS.

If you go there you'll find all our playlists on our channel since I started putting them up on YouTube in October last year. If you look hard enough you'll even find a picture of me!   :)  I'll give you a clue - I'm NOT one with feathers in my hair!

I welcome your interaction.

Colossians 3:17 "And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him."

Follow the verse above and the Holy Spirit and you should be fine. Sorry, I didn't visit the link, your "Newby Picture" is fine :) 

Cautionary add-on...

1 John 4:1 "Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world."

However, it sounds to me like you know more about what would please God in music than I ever could begin to know. 

• Members

Great songs & Scriptural - but the singing accompanied by a "pop group" is not approved by IFB - nor by me. However, play the tunes on organ or piano & they are excellent.

So, let me get this straight ... it's the music you don't like? And the music makes it wrong? Huh. What if I don't like organ music? What makes my liking wrong and your liking right? Incidentally, I actually like organ music, but we don't have an organ so we don't have that option.

To anyone else who would care to answer, I have another question: if you're so convinced of the "guilty by association" theology, could you please tell me how good a sinner has to be for you to associate with them? Will you only associate with sinners whose "worst" sin is pride?

• Members

Whatever they've done with music by Sovereign Grace and the Gettys, they must have arranged it in a way that's not contemporary. That's a good idea though--to write and let them know that it makes it look like they approve of CCM. I'm sure if they thought that, they wouldn't have those songs in the hymnal. Mrs. Hamilton just wrote a book on why she doesn't listen to CCM, and they have plenty of other resources on their website about not listening to contemporary music. So, I know they wouldn't have it in their hymnals if they thought it would lead people to CCM

Edited by Mrs. T

• Members

So, let me get this straight ... it's the music you don't like? And the music makes it wrong? Huh. What if I don't like organ music? What makes my liking wrong and your liking right? Incidentally, I actually like organ music, but we don't have an organ so we don't have that option.

To anyone else who would care to answer, I have another question: if you're so convinced of the "guilty by association" theology, could you please tell me how good a sinner has to be for you to associate with them? Will you only associate with sinners whose "worst" sin is pride?

Good questions to which there are no consistent answers.

• Members

Whatever they've done with music by Sovereign Grace and the Gettys, they must have arranged it in a way that's not contemporary. That's a good idea though--to write and let them know that it makes it look like they approve of CCM. I'm sure if they thought that, they wouldn't have those songs in the hymnal. Mrs. Hamilton just wrote a book on why she doesn't listen to CCM, and they have plenty of other resources on their website about not listening to contemporary music. So, I know they wouldn't have it in their hymnals if they thought it would lead people to CCM

One of the problems is that almost any new music today gets tagged under the heading of "CCM". Years ago CCM was a more narrow term, today it encompasses most all newer music, not only pop or rock style music, but also Southern Gospel, hymns, quartets, etc. For this reason, not everyone means the same thing when they use the term "CCM" and there are many who don't know much about a song yet if it's tagged as "CCM" they will automatically speak against it.

What's ironic is that by todays definition of "CCM", most all older hymns would have been considered to be "CCM" when they were first written.