• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Majesty Music And Getty

• Members

No, I'm not getting into this again with you.  You have some of the books, a list of others, go read them and they'll point you to the verses and show you the principles.

None of those books put forth answers to the questions. This is why Christians, including Baptists, have varying views when it comes to music. The fact is, the Word doesn't give many specifics with regards to music. There are indeed principles in Scripture which apply to music as well as other things, yet principles don't provide details. There are some matters regarding these principles as we relate them to music that many Baptists agree upon. After that, the application goes in various directions.

The music in black Baptist churches and white Baptist churches tends to be rather different. The music in Baptist churches in Africa, India, Asia and elsewhere is often even more different, and different from one another. Is only one of these churches right and the others wrong, or is it possible music can be used in a variety of ways to glorify God?

There is also the issue of consistency as some churches set standards for certain music but then they don't apply those standards too all their music.

When one looks at the music that was played in ancient Israel it included a wide variety of instruments and was loud. Likely as not, most of us here wouldn't want to hear that style of music and probably wouldn't like the loudness either. Preference fits into this discussion somewhere, but just where is something Baptists don't agree upon.

This isn't about me, it's about Christianity in general and Baptists in particular. We are and have been divided upon the issue of music for centuries.

Myself, I like the old hymns. I like to hear them and sing them with no instruments, with a piano or organ, or with instruments played in a bluegrass style. I like some old time Southern Gospel and quartet style music.

At the same time I realize there are many born again Christians who like their music differently. I've been in black Baptist churches where the music didn't appeal to me at all as sang or played, yet the black folks there were praising God and worshiping. Some Baptists like a full orchestra playing in their church, some don't. Who should decide whether this is right or acceptable or not.

The only point I'm making is that Baptist churches have no set standard they agree upon and this is why we have so many varieties of songs and instruments used in Baptist churches. All these Baptist churches playing different music have set their standards based upon Scripture yet they don't all agree with one another on these matters.

Myself, if I was in a church that started playing music I didn't thing was appropriate I would talk with the pastor (I did this once back in the 90s) and if the pastor was unable to give a clear biblical reasoning as to why it's sound, I would move on and I wouldn't attack the church for their music choices because that's their business as an independent church.

• Members

It sure does John.  Go read Kimberly Smith's Let Those Who Have Ears To Hear.  There's enough Bible in their to answer your questions in the first 1/3 of the book.

I don't have a question. I'm content with my families music standards as well as our churches, what others do doesn't cause me to lose sleep.

The book you mention obviously isn't accepted by Christians in general, Baptists or even just IFBs otherwise we would see a coming together among many upon solid, consistent biblical standards. As it is, we have the same turmoil over music going on we've seen for hundreds of years.

Even among only IFBs there is no set, accepted, consistent standard regarding music. There are disagreements and even arguments over various hymns, newer music, songwriters, instruments, etc.

If even the small, mostly conservative minded IFBs are unable to come to agreement on the matter of music, there is no chance Christians in general will even come close.

• 5 years later...
  • Members

Hi, there! There used to be an mp3 recording online of a 2013 interview with Keith Getty at the following address: http://www.assist-ministries.com/FrontPageRadio/FPR06.09.13KeithGettyMono.mp3. I can't find it anywhere, but it's the one where he praises the likes of Elton John, Sting and the Beatles as his musical inspirations and says Bono is a great, theological thinker. I've listened to it, but didn't download it, and now I can't find it. Does anyone have this recording? Thank you.

• Members
On 2/21/2019 at 4:30 PM, KCK said:

Hi, there! There used to be an mp3 recording online of a 2013 interview with Keith Getty at the following address: http://www.assist-ministries.com/FrontPageRadio/FPR06.09.13KeithGettyMono.mp3. I can't find it anywhere, but it's the one where he praises the likes of Elton John, Sting and the Beatles as his musical inspirations and says Bono is a great, theological thinker. I've listened to it, but didn't download it, and now I can't find it. Does anyone have this recording? Thank you.

Do you know who the interviewer was?

Edited by Invicta

• Members

3 minutes ago, KCK said:

Hi...the Lord actually helped me find it! This is the recording where Keith Getty openly supports/lauds/endorses several very worldly, secular artists. Thanks for asking!

Would you like to share the link?

Edited by Invicta

• 2 months later...
  • Members
On 5/28/2012 at 10:21 PM, Melodys said:

If you do not know who the Getty's are, please look them up before posting.
Have you noticed that the new Majesty hymnal contains music from the Gettys/Sovereign Grace? What is your opinion on that? I find it an outrage that they are digging through garbage to find good music. I think it is sad I can't just buy a CD from a trusted source without knowing if there is CCM behind the music. Why aren't pastors stepping up and writing the Hamiltons? Why aren't we fighting for our music? Why have we stopped caring about associations? Don't people understand as soon as a weaker Christian hears you listening to something like "Amazing Grace My Chains are Gone" they will automatically assume you would listen to Chris Tomlin? We will loose my generation if we do not stand true.

I have noticed; even in our IFBC's that they are using watered down contemporary music in their services.

They may not use the drums and guitars; but they tone it down enough to use the piano. In my opinion this is supporting the CCM movement. Why is this happening; when there is good quality Christian music out there?

• Members
On 5/13/2019 at 8:49 AM, mgnandt said:

I have noticed; even in our IFBC's that they are using watered down contemporary music in their services.

They may not use the drums and guitars; but they tone it down enough to use the piano. In my opinion this is supporting the CCM movement. Why is this happening; when there is good quality Christian music out there?

There may be all kinds of reasons, carnality, laziness, ignorance, ecumenism, depravity, etc.

• 2 years later...
  • Administrators

I heard someone say on social media about not using Majesty Hymns hymnal because of the CCM in it so I went to Google to see what I can find people saying. Low and behold, Google brought me to this older thread on Online Baptist.

Anyone here have a problem using Majesty Hymns hymnals?

• Members
3 minutes ago, PastorMatt said:

I heard someone say on social media about not using Majesty Hymns hymnal because of the CCM in it so I went to Google to see what I can find people saying. Low and behold, Google brought me to this older thread on Online Baptist.

Anyone here have a problem using Majesty Hymns hymnals?

Not as far as I can recall. I believe that one of the SBC churches we were in used the Majesty Hymns hymnal...I didn't like all of the songs, but, I don't have to. I can "take the meat and leave the bone." ?

• Administrators
6 minutes ago, BrotherTony said:

Not as far as I can recall. I believe that one of the SBC churches we were in used the Majesty Hymns hymnal...I didn't like all of the songs, but, I don't have to. I can "take the meat and leave the bone." ?we currently are using the Majesty him though

Our church is currently using the Majesty hymnal. I personally don't like it (not because of CCM), but that's more of a preference than anything else.

• Members
10 minutes ago, PastorMatt said:

Our church is currently using the Majesty hymnal. I personally don't like it (not because of CCM), but that's more of a preference than anything else.

I'm not against ALL ccm, but I don't like a lot of it. Seems like ever since the 1970a when I was a teen and some of the CCM had started creeping into the church my family attended and then was stopped, I researched a lot of what music does to our worship. I was a pianinst, and I learned how to "play by ear." I used to play country songs, etc., and I also played religious music. I could tell a total difference in my moods and attitudes after listening to each type of music. Then at MBBC, I got to do a lot more research when I was finishing up one of my semesters with piano lessons. I also got to hera Mrs. Cedarholm talk about music several times. Great woman! Great insights on what happens. I guess mine is part conviction, part personal preference.